Brewer Fanatic

2012-09-08 Brewers (Fiers) at Cardinals (Westbrook), 6:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-3]

pretendastronaut
Ok Ryan Braun, time for #200!!!!!!!!!!
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

An A bomb.....from A Ram. 5-3 good guys!!!!!
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Wow, Ramirez now batting .300.

It's been a bad day, but Ax can make it better.

Maybe if we all just stay quiet and hopeful something really good can happen as the Brewers sneak up on people while the media is rightfully fixated on just how awful the Badger offense is.

Any of the statheads know what the record is since Wolf was released? Just saying...

Wolf was released on August 22nd. We won that afternoon. The Brewers are 13-4 since Wolf was released.

It was really nice to be watching MLB Network and hear them spend a good 5 minutes on how the Brewers are relevant again and "right back in it". Granted, I still think it is a loooooooongshot we make it really close, but considering how dire things looked a month ago, I'm happy to be caring about the Brewers right now. (Especially with football season starting)

They mentioned we have 27 blown saves. I know the bullpen was awful, but that number is astounding. Just convert a third of those and we're sitting pretty. Ugh, I'm gonna make myself sick.

My wife, who hates baseball, surprised me this morning by buying us field box tickets for tonight's game. It's way more money than I ever spend, but she knew I'd been working like a madman and hadn't gotten to a game all season. Perfect night at the ballpark, fun game with a near-playoff vibe -- the place really rocked when they announced Beltran -- and a big win amidst the friendliest road fans I've seen. (Plus there's a slider stand now, where they send you away with a truly epic amount of very fine ballpark food. I got chipotle chicken, pulled pork with fried onions, and garlic fries on the side. But I digress.)

I can't tell you much that you don't already know. Bianchi looked safe to me and Gomez looked out, but I was behind 3b. Weeks' HR was classic Weeks; actually on both HRs, Holliday barely even moved. Fiers looks gassed, but it's pretty impressive to see a rookie who guts it out so hard and keeps going after the hitters. Veras seemed to be warming at a point before they brought in Rodriguez, and Nyjer was getting ready to hit when they blew, I think, the second bases-loaded, nobody-out opportunity. Man, I wanted the chance to see him feed off the Cards fans' booing. I haven't gotten to see Carlos Gomez in person much, but even when he isn't making spectacular plays, he covers an unbelievable amount of ground. Lucroy always impresses me with his take-charge demeanor: it seemed like every couple of innings he was giving his pitchers some extra encouragement, and he appeared to be helping position the infielders (but it may have been something else).

Being that sometimes a few different pitchers can blow a save in the same game and the team can still win, blown saves can be misleading... I went back to the All Star break and looked at each loss. 8 of the losses really stuck out. These were games that the Brewers held a multiple run lead heading into the 8th and lost. I know they also had some of those prior to the break as well. Those are the ones that really hurt.

Archived