Brewer Fanatic

20 years ago Sunday..

The stache

[align=center]http://mlblogsbrewersbeat.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/ap01090103131.jpg

Robin Yount got career hit #3000!!!!!!

Yount's 3000th career hit was a single in the seventh inning of Cleveland Indian's pitcher Jose Mesa.[/align]

Robin will always be my favorite baseball player. It's hard to believe it's been 20 years.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Was there in the Upper Grandstand. Still have the ticket and the "19" signs provided by old Lazer 103. For some reason, the number was red.

Also, that night, there was a vote to bring back Bernie Brewer. I was one of about 100 that proudly voted no!

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong." - Charles M. Schulz

Thank you, reillymcshane. I looked on Youtube, and couldn't find a good, clean video of it. There were a few clips of poor quality....not befitting Robin :)
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Thank you, reillymcshane. I looked on Youtube, and couldn't find a good, clean video of it. There were a few clips of poor quality....not befitting Robin :)

You're welcome. I just did a google search and found it on MLB.

It was a great moment.

I remember my parents took the full page spread from the newspaper of Robin hitting his 3,000 and tacked it up on the back of the basement door. I got a kick out of seeing that for the next 15 years when I'd come over to visit. I wish I would have gotten it from them when they moved into a condo about five years ago.

I was also at the game. Here are some notes:

I believe this was the day Bud Selig was named commissioner. The game was delayed for half an hour or so, either due to a wet outfield, to ensure all the fans got into the stadium, or because Bud was flying in and didn't want to miss Robin's hit.

I believe this was the last game of the homestand. There was a TON of pressure on Robin to get the hit in that game. It was a huge relief when it happened.

The Brewers, I believe, were the second best team in baseball that season. They led the AL in ERA by about half a run and were just all-around outstanding. This was just before the wildcard was started, the Blue Jays picked up David Cone before the deadline, and the Brewers missed making the playoffs as AL East champion by just 2 games. The game where Robin got his 3,000th hit was particularly painful because the Brewers were up with 2 outs in the 9th, and then the closer made a throwing error that allowed two runs to score.

Yup, it was the last game of a homestand, and I remember it was just a 3-game homestand at that. Yount needed 3 hits going into the series. Even though they were school nights, my dad said screw it, my boys and I are going to all three games - we're not missing this. Yount got one hit per game. Good thing he did, too, because my mom decided to take a chance and only go to the third game.

Archived