Brewer Fanatic

Nashville's New Stadium -- Latest: "Fresno is not a place we are looking to go to" - Doug Melvin

Mass Haas

VIDEO: Plans Revealed For New Sulphur Dell Ballpark in Nashville

VIDEO / Article: New Sulphur Dell ballpark would nod to history, show off downtown

Community hears about Sulphur Dell ballpark plan, but questions about cost, parking, traffic remain

Not discussed in those two linked video stories, but a reminder that the Brewers' association with Nashville is only guaranteed through 2014, this potential (let's say "likely") ballpark would open in 2015 if aggressive plans are met.

There is no shortage of potential suitors for Nashville's affiliation, as this always up-to-date information shows.

2015 could be a tremendous "new stadium" year for the Brewers at the AAA and AA levels. If the Huntsville Stars are sold to the Biloxi, MS ownership group (still waiting on that potential news), the Crew's AAA and AA squads could be christening new ballparks.

Hopefully the Brewers' patience will be rewarded, and they are given the opportunity to renew their player development contracts through at least 2016, perhaps even through 2018 (the maximum extension allowed).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Adam McCalvy has comments from Gord Ash regarding the big Nashville news, which we had been tracking throughout this thread.

Of course, with a hopeful opening date in 2015 (that's going to be tight), let's remember the Sounds-Brewers relationship is only locked in through 2014.

Via this very informative and up-to-date link:

International League (AAA)

Buffalo Bisons - Toronto (signed through 2016)

Charlotte Knights - Chicago (AL) (signed through 2014)

Columbus Clippers - Cleveland (signed through 2016)

Durham Bulls - Tampa Bay (signed through 2014)

Gwinnett Braves - Atlanta (owned by Atlanta)

Indianapolis Indians - Pittsburgh (signed through 2016)

Lehigh Valley IronPigs - Philadelphia (signed through 2016)

Louisville Bats - Cincinnati (signed through 2016)

Norfolk Tides - Baltimore (signed through 2014)

Pawtucket Red Sox - Boston (signed through 2014)

Rochester Red Wings - Minnesota (signed through 2014)

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders - New York (AL) (signed through 2014; owned by New York (AL))

Syracuse Chiefs - Washington (signed through 2014)

Toledo Mud Hens - Detroit (signed through 2016)

Pacific Coast League (AAA)

Albuquerque Isotopes - Los Angeles (signed through 2014)

Colorado Springs Sky Sox - Colorado (signed through 2014)

Fresno Grizzlies - San Francisco (signed through 2014)

Iowa Cubs - Chicago (NL) (signed through 2016)

Las Vegas 51s - New York (NL) (signed through 2014)

Memphis Redbirds - St. Louis (signed through 2014)

Nashville Sounds - Milwaukee (signed through 2014)

New Orleans Zephyrs - Miami (signed through 2014)

Oklahoma RedHawks - Houston (signed through 2014)

Omaha Storm Chasers - Kansas City (signed through 2016)

Reno Aces - Arizona (signed through 2016)

Round Rock Express - Texas (signed through 2018)

Sacramento River Cats - Oakland (signed through 2014)

Salt Lake Bees - Anaheim (signed through 2014)

Tacoma Rainiers - Seattle (signed through 2014)

Tucson Padres - San Diego (signed through 2014)

Now. let's agree that most of those relationship extensions are just formalities (would the Red Sox leave Pawtucket, RI, for instance?). So realistically there are not nearly potentially 18 dance partners for Nashville. Still, it would be nice to hear about an extension through 2016 (or even 2018, the maximum allowed) sooner rather than later.

As Kyle from BrewCrewBall just noted on Twitter:

"I refuse to get excited about a potential new ballpark in Nashville because it's a near lock that someone else's AAA team will play there."

Again, scroll up one post to see who the Brewers may be in competion with for that affiliation.

Coming off a hideous (in terms of W-L) 57-87 2013 season and a 67-77 2012 season in which the club was never in contention, the Brewers would serve themselves very well to find the right mix of veterans to sprinkle in with their own prospects this coming season.

Hard to believe that 2014 will be the Brewers' 10th season in Nashville already. And while five of the first six seasons saw over .500 records, including a stellar 2007 campaign, a poor 2014 would mark a 4th consecutive losing season and could bring back memories of Indianapolis (and thus their very nice Victory Field) dumping the Brewers for Pittsburgh after 2004.

Although the Cardinals and Memphis are technically tied only through 2014, for now, look for that relationship to continue long-term as the St. Louis organization has now taken over ownership of the Redbirds.

I really wish the Brewers would take this approach and lock in good minor league franchises, for example the T-Rats... what other Midwest League choice would be better? Great facility, above average fan support, location close to Milwaukee.

If you can get new stadiums in Nashville and Huntsville (Mobile), why not consider buying into the franchises as well?

The Braves own many of their affiliates and I just think it makes good business sense.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I know this may be a pipe dream, but I would really love for the Brewers Triple AAA team to be in the state. I love that Appleton has the T-Rats and the Single A team and the close proximity to Milwaukee for fans to watch the prospects. I would truly love to see Green Bay, Madison, Sheboygan...someplace else in the state pick up the Brewers Triple AAA team. It would be really interesting to see the Brewers try to do with a local team, similar to what the Cardinals just did with Memphis.

• 4 weeks later...

Ironically, on the same day that Huntsville is identified as Biloxi's partner, Nashville's news is better --

Metro Council approves Nashville Sounds ballpark deal

Construction could start by the end of January

The next news would be about the actual affiliation relationship between the Sounds (and the Stars for that matter) and the Brewers, and it's possible there will be no update on that until fall 2014.

• 1 month later...

According to the Voice of the Sounds Jeff Hem (and his blog post here), Brewers GM Doug Melvin (and Hunter Morris) will be in attendance at the groundbreaking ceremony for the Sounds’ new ballpark in Sulphur Dell (opening in 2015) this coming Monday the 27th.

Now wouldn't that be a great day to also announce an extended partnership between the Sounds and Brewers beyond the 2014 season?

I mean, the Sounds wouldn't invite Doug and then later on, not extend, right? That'd be a tough way to (not) thank Melvin and the Brewers for their patience in this process.

Here's hoping there's a formal (yet silent) basis for an extension in place.

From MiLB.com's story on the Nashville stadium groundbreaking (Soundbreaking) --

(Minor League Baseball president Pat) O'Conner also praised the Milwaukee Brewers organization, now in their 10th season as the Sounds' parent club, for "hanging in there." The Player Development Contract (PDC) between the two organizations expires after the 2014 season, but the Brewers have long been enthusiastic backers of Nashville's efforts to build a new stadium, and a renewal of that agreement seems probable. Brewers general manager Doug Melvin was in attendance at Monday's groundbreaking, although the brightest Major League star wattage came courtesy of an appearance by Albert Pujols. The Los Angeles Angels first baseman never played for the Sounds, but is in the city this week promoting the Nashville-area branch of his charitable Albert Pujols Family Foundation.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

I have no inside information on the subject, and to be honest, have respectfully stepped back from pestering anyone in the Nashville or Milwaukee front office, but the Brewers desperately want to field a winning club in Nashville this season, if nothing else, to have hampy campers in the Music City and just to prove they can do so (it's been a while - 2010, 77-67).

Te Brewers really want to be in the Sounds' new 2015 ballpark (no kidding), and the trade of LHP Brad Mills today and the imminent (it seems) callup of Jimmy Nelson will be huge hits to the Nashville rotation as it hopes to win their division and qualify for the postseason.

Then again, for all I (we) know, the two sides have already come to an all-but-official agreement for the next two years without formally finalizing it, similar to the Brewers and Huntsville/Biloxi ownership.

We'll see...

• 4 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

So it appears that Milwaukee may end up as the odd team out in an Athletics - Giants - Brewers swap of AAA affiliations, which means the Brewers won't benefit from Nashville's new ballpark, and it'll be late-night, ERA-inflated West Coast baseball for the Crew's squad.

Beek’s Blog: Affilation moves coming for Sacramento and Fresno

It'll hardly be awful, as Fresno's Chukchansi Park is only 12 years old.

It will make for less convenient player movement between AAA and the big leagues, and less convenient for roving coaches who used to benefit from Nashville's and Huntsville's only 90-mile separation.

Nashville and the Brewers' planned new AA home in Biloxi, MS would have been 500 miles apart...

Community Moderator
Tough to be the odd team out on minor league affiliate musical chairs. Despite the poor facility, I have always thought Nashville was good location for the AAA club. With the new stadium, I was very excited about the future of the relationship with Nashville. Unfortunately this change would not only be disappointing for the Brewers organization, but I am sure Fresno would be far from stoked about losing their affiliation with the Giants. It will be interesting to see how long the deal would stretch and if it ends up being a short-term marriage. There are some other AAA affiliations that have been rumored to be possibly changing this year (Oklahoma City/Astros), I wonder if there are any other options for the Brewers outside of Fresno. Well, like Mass Haas mentioned the move to Fresno will make for many late nights on the Link Report!
Not just “at Night” anymore.

• 1 month later...
Nashville has had some brutal teams and finally got a decent one this year. Of course now that they are leaving I have no problem ruining their playoff chances by taking a number of their good players in September. They are already having trouble holding on the playoff hopes without Fiers and Nelson.

Archived