Brewer Fanatic

Peralta, Thornburg, Schafer and Stinson (seriously?) called up (Latest: Green up too)

JohnBriggs12

According to Tom H. the Brewers have called up Peralta, Thornburg, Schafer and Stinson. Apparently already having a 40 man spot in the case of Stinson meant more than actually having earned a spot (Burgos) after he posted a 1.64 WHIP and a modest to say the least 1.28 K/BB ratio at AA.

I realize Burgos is up there in innings, but to give Stinson a look and not reward Burgos is puzzling.

they can still call up more players, so... ya know...

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Depending on what de los Santos' injury is, if/when he is healthy I would bet they call him up as he has no options left and they likely want to see what they have in him.

Stinson is a surprise; certainly the peripherals suggest he is nothing more than average. My guess is that they either want to see what they have with him to see if he is worth keeping on the 40-man, or they plan on shutting down Fiers, Estrada, and Burgos due to innings and he is the only other starting pitcher in the org under the age of 28, not in danger of an innings limit, and would need to be protected next year. Pena and Anundsen aren't ready, Hellweg is on an innings limit, Nelson doesn't need to be protected next year (I think) and is walking too many at AA, Heckathorn is being moved to the bullpen, Vargas would be pointless... who else is left?

Wondering what Taylor Green is thinking right now.

According to Tom H. the Brewers have called up Peralta, Thornburg, Schafer and Stinson. Apparently already having a 40 man spot in the case of Stinson meant more than actually having earned a spot (Burgos) after he posted a 1.64 WHIP and a modest to say the least 1.28 K/BB ratio at AA.

I realize Burgos is up there in innings, but to give Stinson a look and not reward Burgos is puzzling.

I agree..patients with Burgos ;) ;) there is 2 spot left.

Wondering what Taylor Green is thinking right now.

If he wants to be a MLB Brewer I hope he's thinking of ways to improve as a pinch hitter/part time player. He didn't get much of a look in the majors at all this year, but players of his talent level (not minor league production, talent level) need to hit the ground running in the majors to have a big league career.

As the OP stated Burgos is up there in innings so that is why he wasn't called up. Why fly him to Milwaukee and then tell him he is shut down?

I know there are some who feel that players should be called up so they get to know what it's like in the big leagues, but I don't like calling up players unless there's a role for the player on the team. If someone is up and gets hurt, he will spend his time on the Major League DL until healthy, potentially eating up a year's service time in the case of something like Tommy John.

If Burgos is at/near his innings limit, let him rest this offseason and hit the ground running next year. If they feel a need to "reward" the player, have Melvin or Roenicke give him a personal phone call to congratulate him on a good season. If we were fighting for a playoff spot, and one or two outings by Burgos instead of Stinson could make the difference, I'd feel differently, but unfortunately we are not in that situation.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I agree, aside from the fact that Burgos is already at 171 innings pitched, Stinson is apparently a guy the Brewers like, has thrown 30 or so fewer innings, and is likely being looked at as a potential reliever down the road since he does have a pretty good arm being able to hit 95-96 at times and a couple of secondary pitches that maybe they think he can develop and become a Marco Estrada type guy. I don't know. I just know that calling a guy up just for the sake of calling him up seems a bit foolish.

The Brewers don't "owe," Burgos a call-up. I would agree, I would hope people in the organization who matter would give him a literally call and explain that he's already at 170+ innings and they value him and don't want to overextend himself.

And we're not fighting for a playoff spot...although the players are, and that ridiculously easy August schedule I was touting coming out of the break when I was just hoping that we could win series until we got to it, ACTUALLY has us just 7 games back with teams ahead of us losing left and right, and several games left against those teams.

It's amazing. I was trying to keep track of the Brewers last month of the season with these things in mind;

1-What do the young guys do, Rogers, Fiers, Peralta, Segura

2-How do our core offensive players do...do they end on a high note(and they certainly are).

3-Can Gomez prove he's worth a full time job next year(think he has).

4-How close are we to the 5th pick? Can we catch______ for the 7th pick? And they decide to go and play like the 2011 Brewers(though even still their BP is blowing the few games they are losing or they'd be just 4.5-5.5 games back).

Hey, maybe there is something to a team finishing strong, winning 83-84 games after being over 10 games under .500. Maybe, like the Dodgers, it can give you some momentum going forward, and maybe even it can help you get a guy like Greinke to sign back on.

But a top 5 pick sure sounds nice to this team with awfully low ceilings on position prospects across the board...or a true potential ace.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Hey, maybe there is something to a team finishing strong, winning 83-84 games after being over 10 games under .500. Maybe, like the Dodgers, it can give you some momentum going forward, and maybe even it can help you get a guy like Greinke to sign back on.

I think the thing to look at is that next year's opening day is going to basically be the team that's played so well to finish this year out. Marcum probably won't be back and I would hope most of the bullpen won't either but the starting 8 should be the same with Bianchi or Segura at short.

I think the thing to look at is that next year's opening day is going to basically be the team that's played so well to finish this year out. Marcum probably won't be back and I would hope most of the bullpen won't either but the starting 8 should be the same with Bianchi or Segura at short.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Brewers have both Bianchi & Gonzalez on the roster & Segura gaining a bit more experience at AAA. Whether b/c of injury or lousy performance, neither Bianchi nor Gonzalez would break the bank to dump/demote/whatever with just cause IF Segura forced the Brewers by his stellar play to bring him up.

I'm not saying that's the best solution, but it sure would be one way to have some legit SS depth that we didn't have the first 4 months of this season -- and the utliity middle IF spot sufficiently addressed as well, leaving room for Gamel &/or Green as the corner IF/OF reserve w/o infringing on an OF 4-some of Braun, Gomez, Aoki, & Schafer (all this assuming Hart's still at 1B).

That's a good point. Same starting 8 that's been one of the best in baseball as of late, a lot of REALLY exciting young starting pitchers who are extremely cheap.

As far as the BP, I think you could flip a coin and a guy like K-rod could have a dominant season next year. Everyone wants a new BP, and I could just as easily see Axford, K-Rod, Veras and Loe being as good as they where last year(Veras in Pitt) after we got K-Rod and Loe was used right. Or it could go just as bad. Bringing in new BP arms is just a complete and utter crap shoot as everyone knows. What we need to do is try and not lock ourselves in next year with guys without options who can't be sent down in at least a few spots and bring in a decent lefty.

Anyway, in trying to not go on and on, I think there are two things happening here. 1st of all, and this is what I said coming out of the break, August was an extremely easy schedule and perfect for the Brewers so unless they can keep playing well in Sept(and again, ridiculously enough, we're not even out of the race yet with games vs Stl and Pitt set to fall on it's face...though the Dodgers HAVE to be able to pull away...right?) I think their recent run was just them playing well vs a lot of bad teams. Which isn't a bad thing, but I think it may be giving us a slightly skewed opinion of what this team is capable of next year without the BP issue being resolved, and a veteran starting pitcher who's at least a #2/3 being signed. Edwin Jackson likely remains the most likely, but as everyone knows I'm still hoping for Greinke as with the lineup, better luck from the pen, and guys like Rogers, Peralta, Thornburg to go with Fiers, Estrada and company, we could have a very good 1-5.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived