Brewer Fanatic

Impressions of Jean Segura

502 to Right
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would definitely take 6 years of Segura over shelling out $120+ million for Greinke, so I'm happy with the trade and with Segura's potential. Is Segura going to be great? No one knows. There is a chance of that. Even good SS's are hard to find. I wish he had more OBP ability (i.e he rarely walks). I like his speed and natural ability
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I think there's enough there to hold off on just looking at his numbers. Jean is jumping at the baseball right now, early in counts, because he's 22 and wants it too much right now. He'll be fine. Just gotta have some patience with him. He's actually on the perfect team right now. No pressure because the rest of the lineup is lights out the last 2-3 weeks. He'll settle in.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Cody Ransom is back with the D'backs. :)

viewtopic.php?p=814452#p814452

Oops, my bad. Well good, maybe Doug is coming around to the notion they don't need a bad hitting veteran infielder.

It's irrelevant where Ransom is now. The D-Backs aren't likely to save a 40 man spot for him and he'll likely be a FA. By the same token, the Brewers weren't either. That doesn't mean they don't like him for a utility role. I think they do. But whoever brings him to camp it will be on a minor league deal and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's the Brewers.

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I was wondering if people could give me a feel for how Segura has looked. Unfortunately, I moved out of Wisconsin the week we traded for him, so I've not seen him play much. His stats are improving - he's got his BA up to .260 and his OBP up to .318. Nothing great, but much improved. He seems to have settled down a bit and is taking some walks. But he's still not hitting for any kind of power (only 2 xbh).

How's he looking? Offensively and defensively. Is he our starter next year, or is destined for AAA for at least part of the season?

A strange thing I noticed - he's 2 for 25 vs lefties. Not sure if that means anything. Just noticed it.

Thanks. I appreciate any insights.

I don't believe he needs to be in AAA next year. That is just a waste of time for Segura. The competition in AAA is rather weak and he really doesn't have all that much to prove in the minors anymore. It would be a detriment to him improving if he is placed in AAA next year. I would rather see Segura in the majors next year where he will facing a higher level of competition otherwise the Brewers should just put him in AA as the talent level there is a lot higher than in AAA.

No it isn't. The talent level in AAA is higher than AA. Yes there are more prospects in AA but that is because AAA also has MLB fringe players while AA doesn't and AA is where prospects loose their prospect status.

I'm not sure I agree with this. AA is where you put your talent, AAA is where you put your low upside depth most of the time.

Brian and Bill reported a few days ago that Jean had adjusted his approach when he was called up and that he had recently gone back to whatever he was doing previously. That may explain the recent uptick in offense. This is the kind of information that's useful when looking at small statistical samples.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

He was hacking at absolutely everything when he first came up and has now chilled out.

He's got what appears to be a nice compact swing, with some serious pop---i realize the power has been down so far, but he hits the ball hard. Of course, with his speed, he can beat out dribblers down the line, so he's looked good without the power. The walks have made me very happy...his .318 obp seems pedestrian, but it's been since JJ hardy that we've had a shortstop who could reasonably but up an obs that is above .300.

I think the Brewers will go with Segura and Bianchi next year and let them fight it out for the starting spot.

I don't believe he needs to be in AAA next year. That is just a waste of time for Segura. The competition in AAA is rather weak and he really doesn't have all that much to prove in the minors anymore. It would be a detriment to him improving if he is placed in AAA next year. I would rather see Segura in the majors next year where he will facing a higher level of competition otherwise the Brewers should just put him in AA as the talent level there is a lot higher than in AAA.

No it isn't. The talent level in AAA is higher than AA. Yes there are more prospects in AA but that is because AAA also has MLB fringe players while AA doesn't and AA is where prospects loose their prospect status.

I'm not sure I agree with this. AA is where you put your talent, AAA is where you put your low upside depth most of the time.

I don't have the minor league adjustments in front of but pretty sure AAA has higher overall talent. Many AA players will never be as good as the AAAA guys that make up much of AAA.

Let's try to keep this thread about Jean Segura and not about the difference between AA and AAA talent.

As to Segura, last 14 games (which doesn't even include tonight's 2-4 with a double and a triple) is .455/.556/.500/1.056. Nice. It certainly seems like he's turned the corner at the plate. At this point I'd be fine with handing the 2013 starting SS job to him.

In the field I think he's been decent (I'm not as high on his defense as others here). But given the fact that he hasn't played SS for that long, he has some major upside in the field.

The future looks bright for Jean Segura.

I think Segura has the SS job locked up moving forward. I don't think that the Brewers would give him extended playing time this season, only to demote him to AAA next year. He hasn't been a world beater, but he hasn't embarrassed himself either and he's been showing some flashes of his ability. That's enough for me.

The recent hot streak at the plate has shown me that he isn't completly over matched out there. I'm fine with going into next year with him as the starting SS.

On a different note, I would really like to see us pick up a really strong utility infielder that can work into the lineup 4-5 days a week to give everyone a rest on a regular basis and take some pressure off Segura.

I think that even within the time he's been up in Milwaukee, he's taken a big step forward. He's much more patient at the plate, and the results are starting to show.

Segura has more power than anybody realizes. His ceiling is quite high. I think he's a guy that could be a .290-.300 hitter with 15-20 HR a season, and 40-50 stolen bases. If he can keep working on the strikeouts, and up his walk rate a bit more, the sky's the limit. Defensively he's pretty good. Not in the same league as Escobar, but he's got a quick release, and pretty good range.

I am very excited about Jean's future.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

On a different note, I would really like to see us pick up a really strong utility infielder that can work into the lineup 4-5 days a week to give everyone a rest on a regular basis and take some pressure off Segura

Unless that guy is subbing for every single player on the field that is way to much.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think that even within the time he's been up in Milwaukee, he's taken a big step forward. He's much more patient at the plate, and the results are starting to show.

Segura has more power than anybody realizes. His ceiling is quite high. I think he's a guy that could be a .290-.300 hitter with 15-20 HR a season, and 40-50 stolen bases. If he can keep working on the strikeouts, and up his walk rate a bit more, the sky's the limit. Defensively he's pretty good. Not in the same league as Escobar, but he's got a quick release, and pretty good range.

I am very excited about Jean's future.

I agree with this post, expect for the middle paragraph's lead sentence. Pretty much everyone who read up on the scouting reports on Segura knew/knows that's what his ceiling is. Now let's just hope he gets there. He's already practically all the way there on defense. His arm routinely makes my jaw hit the floor; it's really an impressive gun.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived