Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Thurs. 8/30

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brandon Macias' quotes part of a video interview at the link...

Timber Rattlers limping into playoffs after loss

by Tim Froberg, Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE — The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers are slumping at the worst possible time.

The Midwest League playoffs are just six days away and the Rattlers have lost six of their last seven games.

Their latest setback came Thursday night, when they fell behind early and never recovered in a 9-2 loss to Beloit before a crowd of 4,494 at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium.

“Hell, yes, it’s a concern,” said Wisconsin manager Matt Erickson when asked about the late-season skid. “It’s something you have to battle, though, because everyone goes through certain stretches. We’ve had a lot of good stretches and a few lulls, but we were consistent enough to not stay in them very long. There’s nothing you can do about the past except learn.

“Obviously, the total body of work is still fairly impressive, but yeah, there’s definitely some things we have to clean up if we’re going to have any success in the postseason.”

Wisconsin — the first-half champion of the Western Division — opens playoff action Wednesday on the road against the Western Division’s second-half wild-card winner. That opponent will likely be Burlington since the Bees entered Thursday night’s play with a three-game lead over Kane County for the wild-card spot.

The second playoff game in the best-of-three series will be Thursday in Grand Chute and Wisconsin will host Friday’s finale, if needed.

“As we get closer to the end of the season and move to the postseason, the intensity increases pitch by pitch,” said Erickson. “You can’t think about any of the mistakes that happened in the past, or things will compound on you.”

The Rattlers collected 11 hits in dropping their second straight game to Beloit, but failed to capitalize on numerous opportunities. Wisconsin stranded 11 baserunners and was just two-for-13 at the plate with runners in scoring position. Even with the double-digit hit total, the Rattlers struggled to put the ball in play, striking out a whopping 15 times against four Beloit pitchers.

“We did a nice job of getting people on base, but we weren’t very good with players in scoring position,” said Erickson. “When you get 11 hits and mix in some contact, you continue to put pressure on the defense. When you’re not putting the ball into play 15 of the 27 outs, that’s not putting a whole lot of pressure on the defense.”

One Rattler who isn’t slumping is third baseman Brandon Macias. Macias collected two hits to extend his hitting streak to 11 games and knocked in both Wisconsin runs with a two-run single in the fourth.

Macias is hitting .289, has socked eight home runs and is third on the team in RBI with 63. The University of Kansas product leads the Rattlers in on-base percentage (.388) and is fourth in slugging percentage (.425).

“I’m seeing some good pitches, taking some bad pitches and not swinging at balls in the dirt,” said Macias. “I’m trying to hit the ball the other way. I’m doing everything I can to help this team out and things are taking care of themselves.”

Following tonight’s regular-season home finale against Beloit, the Rattlers close the regular season with a three-game road series at Burlington.

“Right now, we’re just not doing the right things,” said Macias. “Before, we were moving runners and playing the game the right way. We have to get back to our game.”

Halton and Morris finishing strong, and J-Rogers putting up some nice numbers for a RH at Brevard. Which brings me to the one recent draft pick the Brewers made that I really did not like and felt was a wasted pick - Nick Ramirez. I never saw the upside with him, even though the Pac 10 is a tough baseball conference. A 10th round pick, yes, but not a 4th round pick.

Halton does have some significant home/road splits when it comes to SLG, so maybe the PCL hitters parks are inflating his numbers a bit.

Archived