Brewer Fanatic

Making the case for Jonathan Lucroy to be moved up to second in the lineup again

The stache
I'm not using a small sample size. I'm using almost a full season's worth of statistics.

One season or part of one season is still a small sample. You typically want to start with at least 3 seasons as a baseline then adjust a bit up or down from that or do like Russ said.

The best way to start the discussion is to simply look at projections, however. I say start because I don't mean to suggest there is nothing else to consider. Projections typically consider the last 3-4 years of production weighing the more recent seasons more greater.

A nagging injury or being off a bit can lead to a couple bad months pretty easy. A couple bad months can really drag a season down even though a player's true talent may not have changed.

Considering Weeks career so far and the last couple months I would think that something was bothering him for the first couple months rather than think that his skills have significantly changed so I think his career numbers would be a good guess at future production. Keep in mind that his career numbers are a good bit lower than his numbers over 2009-2011.

Given Lucroy's career MiLB numbers (.299/.379/.459/.838) and age I would think he could have improved. I wouldn't put him in the same class of hitter as Weeks though.

Even if we assume they are close(like the projections say they might be) I would go with the everyday player over the catcher at the top of the order.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

How is Lucroy supposed to drive in 7 runs out of the 2 spot? As much as I would like to see Weeks out of the top of the lineup he continues to get on base despite the terrible batting average. Lucroy in the 6th spot is adds depth to the meat of the order. Put him in the 2 spot and the bottom of the order suffers.

How is Lucroy supposed to drive in 7 runs out of the 2 spot? As much as I would like to see Weeks out of the top of the lineup he continues to get on base despite the terrible batting average. Lucroy in the 6th spot is adds depth to the meat of the order. Put him in the 2 spot and the bottom of the order suffers.

I agree with this. We are not losing games due to not scoring runs, we are losing games because our bullpen sucks.

Does it really matter if you flip flor Lucroy and Weeks.

IF they are both playing well then our lineup is crazy awesome no matter where you put them. A top 6 of Aoki, Weeks, Braun, Ramirez, Hart, and Lucroy is really really good. Plus if you had decent production out of Gomez and Segura there really isn't a hole in the lineup. Granted someone could have a bad year but next years lineup is shaping up to be pretty damn impressive no matter how RR decides to line them up. Debating between Weeks and Lucroy at 2/6 seems to be splitting hairs

Weeks' 1st inning single today was his 6th hit in a row and the 7th consecutive PA that he reached base. He then was hit by a pitch, to make it 8 consecutive PA's of reaching. Alas, he struck out and grounded out in his next two ABs. The start of a new trend?

Weeks continues his tear with a 2 HR night yesterday... since this thread went up:

34 PA: .484/.529/.839/1.368

My expectations for him next year are far greater but is overall 2012 line is now surprisingly pretty reasonable for a second basemen:

.230/.336/.395/.731

I'm happy to see him playing better. If he can keep that ankle healthy, he should have a really good 2013 season. All of a sudden, our infield is looking pretty good with Hart, Weeks and Ramirez, and Segura on the way (I do feel he should start the season in AAA, and work on his stroke).
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived