Brewer Fanatic

Marcum on Waivers

torts
The Madison (85th) and Green Bay-Appleton (69th) television markets both rank much higher than any secondary markets in Minnesota and the Dakotas. If you add Madison and Green Bay to Milwaukee it about equals Minneapolis/St. Paul alone.

So if you add the top 3 markets in WI togeather they nearly equal the Twins's home city (lets forget the fact that a good chunk of Madison are Cubs fans).

The problem with your argument is that you cherry picked the top 3. After that, WI cities fall off to below 100k. The Twins still have Sioux Falls, Fargo, Duluth, and Rochester all over 100k. WI has Racine/Kenosha close (lots of Cubs fans there too) but however you split it up Minn has a much larger market.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(lets forget the fact that a good chunk of Madison are Cub fans)

And there are more Brewer fans than you realize in Chicago area too.

Well, seeing as how I'm one of them, I doubt there are more than I realize.

Lets just let our personal stories and observations get in the way of all these statistics and facts.

Which is why I wanted to know what the reasoning for saying he probably is going to give us 150 innings. I didn't know it that comment was based of of some sort of projection or if it was just personal opinion.

He's only had 2 healthy seasons in his career and already had Tommy John. He's not a risk the Brewers can or should take. His mechanics are pretty bad too.

I could see projecting Marcum to give 150 innings next season. I think the odds of Marcum giving a team 200 innings next season aren't horrible (assuming his injury today isn't too serious), but obviously the odds of him throwing only 100 innings or 50 innings are also pretty high.

But maybe that's not right, and maybe it should be more like 120 or 130. He certainly will fall into the category of a high risk signing; if he stays healthy he can be a solid 3.50 ERA pitcher. I just have no clue what the price on Marcum will be this offseason. The Brewers have the informational advantage, so hopefully they make the right play on Marcum.

A 200 innings Marcum is worth a qualifying offer. However, the 150 innings or less version you are likely to get isn't. The Brewers can't risk signing him for next year or long term so they might as well trade him for whatever they can get now.

How are you arriving at him being likely to only give 150 innings? He had 195 in 2010 and 2000 in 2011. Granted he is an injury risk but so is every pitcher so why would he be more likely to have injuries next year than he was going into this season?

No wonder he was hurt so much this year, he was quite the workhorse in 2011 for us.

Young arms are on the way. Hungry guys who are cheap. Don't sign, please
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Hungry and cheap doesn't guarantee good however.

Cheap = Disposable = roster flexibility. Sure the first guy tried in a spot may fail but if he's cheap he can be replaced before the season is lost, not after it. You just hope that sooner rather than later, the guy who's ready to succeed gets his turn.

Having gone to school at the U and living there until I could get the hell out, that's the most bandwagon fan base I've ever unfortunately been a part of. The Vikings are either going to the super bowl or nobody cares... the Twins are going to the world series or nobody cares... it's ridiculous, it's not just an ownership issue. In 5 years there I can honestly say that I never met a diehard Timber Wolves fan, which is odd now that I'm thinking about it. The Stars had just relocated to Dallas when I moved over there and the Wild came after I left, so I can't really speak to hockey. The only team that has a legitimate fan base is Gopher hockey (which I would highly recommend, Mariucci is a great hockey venue), but even that might have changed as I haven't lived in the cities since 1998.

Also, they've always stretched the "metro" area all the way south to Hastings, which seems a bit disingenuous if you've ever driven between Rosemount and Hastings. There's an awful lot of rural farm land for a "metro".

To be fair, I wouldn't call the Brewers fan base very loyal either. They didn't have much of a fan base until the last few years when they became successful.

I think Mariucci is just ok. Then again I hate the Gophers.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The Twin Cities market size is a bit misleading. A significant amount of 'Twins Territory' (on the basis of square milage alone) is more than three hours away from MSP... remote outposts like the Dakotas. As for population base, there are a ton of people living in the MSP metro area (dwarfing Milwaukee), but the rest of the state is sparse. They are basically Iowa with a big metro area. Obviously, the Twins broadcast to a greater amount of people on TV, but in I'd bet that the Brewers have a bigger population base to draw from within 150 miles or so from the stadium.

P.S. Minnesota fans are the biggest bandwagoners I've ever seen.

Archived