Brewer Fanatic

Marcum on Waivers

torts
marcum on waivers! does he get claimed and traded, or claimed to block being traded?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no they dont, teams dont put players on waivers they wouldnt actually consider trading. they're not going to waste the time putting on and reclaiming the player once they get claimed. the angels arent going to waste their time putting mike trout, alberta, or any other key piece on their roster just because they can.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

i'd be surprised if he made it to the AL

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

no they dont, teams dont put players on waivers they wouldnt actually consider trading. they're not going to waste the time putting on and reclaiming the player once they get claimed. the angels arent going to waste their time putting mike trout, alberta, or any other key piece on their roster just because they can.

It's August. About 20 of the 25 guys of the roster on every team get put on waivers.

no they dont, teams dont put players on waivers they wouldnt actually consider trading.

Almost every player gets put on waivers. Only the absolutely untouchable ones don't and while I think we all like Marcum (as do the Brewers), he's obviously not untouchable.

It's August. About 20 of the 25 guys of the roster on every team get put on waivers.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Pujols was actually put on waivers at least once in his career. If not him, other big name MVP-types definitely have. And most teams really don't bother putting in a claim because they know the team will most likely just pull him back. I don't think it really take a whole lot of effort to put a guy through so teams do it just for the hell of it. Obviously you're not going to trade a Trout-type player but sometimes unforeseen positives can come out of it (like the Red Sox this year). Basically, there's no harm in putting a guy through.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

i'd be surprised if he made it to the AL

That's what I thought about Wolf.

wolf wasnt put on waivers, wolf was outright released and became a free agent, anyone could sign him in either league, unlike waivers

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Yes, I know. I guess I was referring to your comment on the AL. I thought you were saying that Marcum wouldn't survive in the AL (which is what I thought when the O's picked up Wolf). Now I'm guessing that you are thinking an NL team would claim Marcum before an AL team could get him. (I think the confusion was the Make it to the AL vs. Make it in the AL. That is all.

Note that I'm getting this from a fantasy baseball website, but cbssportsline says: "The report states the Dodgers could put in a claim on Marcum, but nothing official has been announced just yet."

Since the Brewers could get a comp pick for Marcum, and the Dodgers have gone clinically insane, there is a chance that we could nab a decent prospect from the Dodgers if they indeed are the ones who claim him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Note that I'm getting this from a fantasy baseball website, but cbssportsline says: "The report states the Dodgers could put in a claim on Marcum, but nothing official has been announced just yet."

Since the Brewers could get a comp pick for Marcum, and the Dodgers have gone clinically insane, there is a chance that we could nab a decent prospect from the Dodgers if they indeed are the ones who claim him.

The Brewers aren't going to get a comp pick for Marcum under any circumstances. No way they'll make him a qualifying offer over $13 million. They are just doing him a favor by seeing if a contender will take him. I wouldn't expect much back other than 1/6 of his current salary, a little over a million dollars.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if they did offer him arbitration. The worst that could happen by doing so is they have a number 2 type pitcher for $13 million. They have taken chances on one year deals for large money before. If Doug is willing to take a $10 million one year flyer on Gagne why wouldn't he do $13 million for Marcum?
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The Brewers aren't going to get a comp pick for Marcum under any circumstances. No way they'll make him a qualifying offer over $13 million. They are just doing him a favor by seeing if a contender will take him. I wouldn't expect much back other than 1/6 of his current salary, a little over a million dollars.

In my mind, I would keep Marcum unless I got at least some type of real prospect (plus the salary relief). If you don't get a prospect that is worth anything at all, I would just keep Marcum on the off chance he shows so much in Sept that he justifies a QO. You never know, plus the Dodgers are probably starting to feel a little desperate.

Just getting some good starts out of Marcum for the fans to watch is better than getting someone who will never get out of A-ball. If the Dodgers want him - and they are certainly acting like they want top MLB talent at any cost - they'll have to give up something of value for him. It may not be a top prospect, but it would have to be someone who would be expected to help at the MLB level at some point (a high-upside A-baller or a low-floor AAA guy).

They're 3.5 games back in their division and 2.5 back in the Wild Card race. They may have some egg on their face (at least to the LA fans) if they spend billions and miss the playoffs. I doubt they'd give up Zach Lee, but someone like Joc Peterson (OF) or Angel Sanchez (P) in high-A might be doable. These aren't top prospects (most of the Dodgers top prospects have already been traded) but they would bolster the Brewers farm system.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The worst that could happen by doing so is they have a number 2 type pitcher for $13 million.

No, the worst that can happen is they have a $13M pitcher that is injured and either doesn't pitch at all and/or pitches poorly until he is finally DL'd.

Don't we have a thread like this every year. Its not a big deal.

We have a thread like this every year. :)

Teams will put players on waivers even if they're not inclined to want to trade them. Flooding the waiver wire increases the possibility that players will get through without being claimed.

Adding to everything that's been said, there's no public waiver list. As there's no way to confirm, any report that a player has been placed on waivers can easily be true or false.

Also, these waivers are revocable. It's no big deal to place as many players as possible on waivers during any given waiver period. This is a big waiver month every year because:

• A new waiver period started at the beginning of the month
  • Of the deadline for freezing rosters for the post-season

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

"Just getting some good starts out of Marcum for the fans to watch is better than getting someone who will never get out of A-Ball"

Except that the million dollars or so saved goes right to the bottom line. They'd likely have to sell 30,000 or more tickets to match that. That's not insignificant for any business with revenues similar to a major league team.

Letting a veteran like Marcum have the opportunity to get to the postseason also creates some goodwill, and other potential FA take notice of stuff like that.

Archived