Brewer Fanatic

Orioles sign Randy Wolf

brewmann04

I believe the Orioles pay a pro-rated portion of league minimum when they sign him to a deal, which would be a pretty paltry amount, less than $100,000. So my understanding is that the Brewers save that amount but owe everything else, including the buyout.

You don't see guys just straight-up released in MLB very often because the entire contract is guaranteed, there is no savings like there is when a guy in the NFL gets released.

Basically, when you release a guy in MLB, you're saying (much more nicely than this), you're such a liability that we would rather pay you the same amount to sit at home than play for our team. Painful when it comes to that. Between Suppan and Wolf I think we had about $15M in "dead" money.

Good, no risk move the Orioles, my favorite team since I was 6 years old. Wolf can be that Gritty Veteran Gamer helping an inexperienced pitching staff. He didn't look bad yesterday. The league has never really seen him pitch, so the O's might get a lightning in the bottle action for September. He could be a handy lefty out of the pen should they make the playoffs.

2 games out of first place on Labor Day. 2 of 3 against the Yankees in the Da Bronx. Who could have predicted this? At what point will their fans start showing up for games?

10th in the league in runs scored, 8th in ERA. They are the AntiBrewers, a poor team with a great bullpen.

Their pythagorean is 63-70, yet here they sit, 74-59. 4 game series against the Yanks in Camden Yards later this week. Go O's!

MLBTR post states they are on the hook for the 9.5MM left on his contract

$9.5M is the amount of his contract for the full 2012 season. I would consider "on the hook" to be the amount he is still owed on that contract after he is released or approx $2.3M plus the $1.5M buyout.

Community Moderator

It would be absolutely incredible if the Orioles and Rays finish 1-2 in the AL East. Their two payrolls combined still fall $50 million short of the Yankees.

Hopefully the fans show up to the Yankees series this weekend. It would be sad if Camden isn't packed, but when you are terrible for as long as they have been, many of the fans in that area likely switched allegiances or never became baseball fans.

Archived