Brewer Fanatic

Name your starting 5 for 2013

Bombers
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would assume Gallardo, Fiers and Rogers are getting 3 of the 5 spots. Maybe Peralta for a 4th. I'd probably stick Estrada and Thornburg in the bullpen, meaning Doug Melvin would have to go out and get a 5th. Maybe Marcum, though it wouldn't be my first choice. I listen to sports talk here in Arizona, and they seem to want to get rid of Joe Saunders in the worst way, and he seems to me to be someone Melvin would target, and I'd be okay with that. He's not Cy Young, but he's an upgrade over Wolf...and being a lefty helps.

Wow, surprised no one wants to go young.

this is where I am at ... With what is on the minor league horizon I just don't see a 3-4 year deal being offered to any FA pitcher ... That is why I am leaning toward signing Marcum for a 1-year deal

When it comes down to who's in and who's out of the rotation as opening day approaches, options, or lack of them play a big role. Assuming everyone is healthy, and looked fine in Arizona, the guys with experience and/or no options remaining are going to get the nod over the guys who have options left. That doesn't mean the guys sent down won't spend a great deal of time in the rotation due to to poor performance, injuries, etc. With only Gallardo on a long term deal, they won't hesitate replacing any of the others if they struggle and the guys at AAA are performing well.

1 Yoga............. Solid #1.........................................................7 plus innings

2 Greinke...........4 years $84 plus 1 year vesting at $20.................7 innings

3 Fiers..............Marcum lite......................................................5-6 innings

4 Piggyback ......Estrada for 3-4 then Rogers completing the game...9 innings, no relievers needed

5 Peralta...........Let him eat innings............................................6 innings

6 Thornberg.......AAA

7 Burgos............AAA

BP 11 innings per five games

Axford..............He will comeback.......3 innings, 9th inning

Loe..................Solid.......................3 innings, 7th and 8th

FA LHP.............Pay for quality...........3 innings 7th and 8th

FA LHP.............Comeback type..........LOOGY 1-2 batters once or twice a week

Henderson.........????........................as needed

Sanchez, J........Give him a shot..........as needed

Wooten............Very solid softy..........long relief

Pitcher cost should be around $45-50,000,000. $40,000,000 for Hart, Braun, Weeks and ARam. Everybody else is about $7,000,000. That adds to about$92-97,00,000. Maybe there is room for another big bat?????

Gallardo's average innings per start season is 6.21, and that's not 6.2 as in 6 and 2/3, that's a true decimal, as in less than a third of an inning into the 7th. Last year Gallardo was at 6.28 innings per start.

Greinke was at 5.85 innings in Milwaukee this season.

Neither is a guy who's going to regularly give you 7 innings. Gallardo has done it 11 times in 26 starts this season, but 6 of those have come in his last 8 starts, he's been really hot. For his career he's at 6.07, and that's with some bullpen innings thrown into the total.

I pulled out 2006 and 2007 for Greinke and his career number is 6.26 innings per start.

More often than not you're going to need at least 3 bullpen guys regardless who starts for the Brewers, we don't have a very efficient starting pitching staff, with or without Greinke. With better defense I wouldn't mind fewer strike outs and more balls in play but with Yuni B and McGehee on the left side and Prince at 1B I was pretty happy getting strike outs.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Gallardo

Shields or Hellickson (trade involving a combo of Maldy, Aoki, Morris, and young pitcher)

Jackson (FA) or Marcum

Fiers

Thornburg or Peralta

Rogers should be shut down now, in my opinion. He has DL written all over him if he keeps throwing into mid September. I'd rather put his power arm in the pen with less innings.

Estrada should head to the pen, as well.

I'd like to have Marcum back, as well, if he looks good in September-one year deal.

Gallardo (would not trade him at all)

Marcum

Fiers

Rogers

Peralta

I wish we could get Zack back but seems like a longshot.

Estrada has a nice arm but he falters after 5 innings. I'd put him in the pen.

Thornburg for a full year at AAA Nashville. I'd like to see some polish added to his game. He is going to be a technician and so he needs some refinement.

Gallardo

Shields or Hellickson (trade involving a combo of Maldy, Aoki, Morris, and young pitcher)

Jackson (FA) or Marcum

Fiers

Thornburg or Peralta

Rogers should be shut down now, in my opinion. He has DL written all over him if he keeps throwing into mid September. I'd rather put his power arm in the pen with less innings.

I'd like to have Marcum back, as well, if he looks good in September-one year deal.

No offense, but IMO babying Rogers at this point doesn't serve a purpose. He hasn't had a legit arm injury in what, three years? (I don't count the wrists) You need to give a guy who throws mid-upper 90's and has filthy off speed stuff every chance you can give him. You can grab a reliever out of nowhere to be good for a year or two but Rogers also would probably be a bad reliever given his inconsistency. He has by far the most potential out of all our young guys so giving him 40-50 innings a year to mop up games would be a shame.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Neither is a guy who's going to regularly give you 7 innings.

You should probably throw out the start where he got tossed after four pitches, and the next start where he only went 3 because of the start the day before and getting other guys some work before the All-Star break. Excluding those two starts he was at 6.32 for the Brewers.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yo

Fiers

Estrada

One of Peralta, Rogers or Thornburg

FA or trade guy

The rookies who don't make the rotation go to the bullpen, giving it a much needed dose of youth and power arms.

For a FA, I'd love Greinke, but I doubt it, even with his recent struggles. He'll get a big offer from someone. I'd be okay on a three year deal for a guy like Anibal Sanchez. I'd also be very open to bringing back Marcum on a one year deal if he looks healthy. I'm not locked into anyone, but would probably keep it under a $10-12 million a year commitment.

I'd also look at trade options - like what Pittsburgh did with AJ Burnett. You get a starter for cheap who needs a change of scenery. Not sure who, but I'd make a lot of calls to see who might fit.

If Narveson is healthy you can consider him, but he might be a great loogy for the pen.

Gallardo

Jackson (FA) or Marcum

Fiers

Thornburg or Peralta

Sounds like a great trade If we could get Hellickson but I think he's too good for the Rays to let go. But if we could get Shields for 1 yr (his club option) with the possibility to resign him (4 yr 68-75 million) I would be all for it.

I would offer up Maldonado, Gamel, Bradley, and Scarpetta. Ask for Shields and J Molina (backup catcher for 1 yr) plus 500k cash.

Rotation of Gallardo, Shields, Marcum (1 yr deal), Peralta, and Fiers.

Neither is a guy who's going to regularly give you 7 innings.

You should probably throw out the start where he got tossed after four pitches, and the next start where he only went 3 because of the start the day before and getting other guys some work before the All-Star break. Excluding those two starts he was at 6.32 for the Brewers.

You make a legitimate point, but I did post his career number as well. I pulled the relief years out for him but I'm not playing the what if game and cherry picking starts for any reason, it's just not something I believe in doing for anyone, and he got tossed for throwing a tantrum on the field by spiking the ball. I would classify it as poor judgement both ways, but he still got tossed.

The point is that both guys go 7 full innings in less than half their starts, neither is a 7 inning guy, they simply aren't efficient enough with their pitches, and it's not so much that both guys are strike out pitchers, it's that they both waste too many pitches which is a topic I've posted quite a bit about on the MiLB forum. It is also one of the reasons I can't stand Rock, he doesn't get that pitchers on a pitch count simply don't have the luxury of spiking a pitch in the dirt to every batter, that's an inning+ of pitches right there. He called games in a different era and hasn't put 2 and 2 together yet.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Wow, surprised no one wants to go young.

Personally I'd roll with this...

Gallardo

Fiers

Rogers

Peralta

Thornburg

Long man, 6th starter - Estrada

Ditto.

I want the young guys to get out there next year so we can see what they got. Then in 2014 Doug can add however many SP's he needs too for a legit playoff run. Adding FA SP's for 2013 just means the Brewers will still have a bunch of unknown xfactors sitting in Nashville who are ready to come up.

Gallardo

Fiers

Rogers

Estrada

Burgos

Why Burgos and not Peralta/Thornburg? I think Burgos has hit his ceiling, and may as well see what he has at the beginning of the year. Plenty of time to adjust if he can't hang. Plus, looking at his lines this year, he has been dominant when he's on.

I would like to have Peralta and Thornburg start in AAA. I don't think either has hit their ceiling, and have things to work on. If all goes well, they will be in the rotation in 2013, probably sooner rather than later. But I want to stay young and cheap, in fact a lot of the vet names mentioned above may not even have better numbers than our young guns. Keep payroll down this year, and stay flexible.

Gallardo

Fiers

Rogers

Estrada

Burgos

Why Burgos and not Peralta/Thornburg? I think Burgos has hit his ceiling, and may as well see what he has at the beginning of the year. Plenty of time to adjust if he can't hang. Plus, looking at his lines this year, he has been dominant when he's on.

I would like to have Peralta and Thornburg start in AAA. I don't think either has hit their ceiling, and have things to work on. If all goes well, they will be in the rotation in 2013, probably sooner rather than later. But I want to stay young and cheap, in fact a lot of the vet names mentioned above may not even have better numbers than our young guns. Keep payroll down this year, and stay flexible.

I agree with this, we need to gain payroll flexibility, not throw away the little bit we are gaining. The only thing i would do different is put estrada in the pen. Hes good there and we need help there, also hes not great the third time through the lineup.

I would start the year with Estrada in the rotation, but as Peralta and/or Thornburg develop I would have no problem putting him back in the pen if it comes to that. The other issue is innings. If they do go young, it will help if Estrada starts some games to keep innings off the young guys arms.

Also, keep in mind this is looking at things 7 months from now. My opinion could very well change depending on what happens in September, Spring Training, injuries, etc. But as of today, I'm not convinced either Peralta or Thornburg can be penciled in to the rotation for next year.

My rotation:

Gallardo

Fiers

Estrada

Rogers

Who showed best in Arizona: Peralta/Narveson/Thornburg/Burgos

And since I am using 2013 to figure out which young pitchers are part of the Brewers 2014 playoff run, I will trade Hart. This also will give Segura and Gamel a year to prove themselves or be replaced by a FA with the money I saved in 2013. I'm hoping the attendance doesn't drop off dramatically as it would seem that we have enough young pitchers that if 1-2 have problems, we can rotate another guy in and be average.

Melvin:

Gallardo

Greinke - long term, price "drops" to 6 for $120M

FA / Marcum - one year

Fiers

Rogers/Estrada/Narveson/Peralta/Thornburg/Burgos

Narveson???????????????

In my opinion, he has zero, nada, zilch, none, no shot at cracking the top 5 in our rotation next year. Some of us forget that the guy just has some really serious surgery, and he isn't young. Add in the fact that he was an average at best pitcher pre-surgery. In my opinion, he will never start for the Brewers again, much less open the season with any shot of the starting rotation.

If he is in our rotation, that tells me that we will be in for a VERY long season if we don't have guys who can beat him out.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Greinke (5yr, 99 mil w/6th yr opt. @21mil)

Gallardo

Fiers

Rogers

Peralta

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm not really 100% ready to write Naveson off.

People were writing Capuano (sp?) off after his 2nd TJ, but he's done alright afterwards.

It is more likely that Narveson won't come back, but that doesn't mean he can't.

You knew me as Myday2001.

my 2013 rotation:

Ben Sheets

Doug Davis

Jeff Suppan

Braden Looper

David Bush

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'm not really 100% ready to write Naveson off.

People were writing Capuano (sp?) off after his 2nd TJ, but he's done alright afterwards.

It is more likely that Narveson won't come back, but that doesn't mean he can't.

Shoulders are far worse for pitchers than a TJ surgery and this is Narveson's second shoulder surgery.

Archived