Brewer Fanatic

Iceman bobble

I think you are right, and I bet the same seller puts it back up for auction again!

Too bad there is nothing that can be done about this, but ebay just doesn't care enough to investigate to the full extent.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Side note: Sometime in the next few weeks I might be looking for help to update the bobblehead price guide. I don't think majority of them will be touched, but a handful of newer ones may need some tinkering. Lemme know if any of you interested in putting your two cents in.

I agree, some of those prices need to be adjusted accordingly.

Let me know when you want to do it and I'll pitch in..

• 3 months later...

just curious. there is a controversy regarding the possibility that beer vendor is selling his own stash of extra beer vendor bobbleheads. why does anyone have a problem with it? at the end of the day, the man kent meyer sells suds - he's not the inventor the ipad or manufacturer of pure crystal meth. probably a nice old retiree / dude with a second job. and i'd seen the guy a dozen times. definitely not a despicable man.

so to reiterate, there was once a contest years back between miller park beer vendor employees for top sales guy of that year. wham bam kent meyer wins and one of the awards for that contest was that a bobblehead day was to be given out later that year in the individuals honor. something happened and instead of a beer vendor individual identity, it was scrubbed (for a can bobble or bobble bottle). but the sponsor of the contest didnt feel that was right, so they hosted a party in the honor where all the friends and family were invited. and also a few cases of these personal pieces were to be distributed at this special event. outside of KM entourage and few collectors were hooked up. and it also makes sense that KM could keep a few extras (or perhaps 3 cases who knows who cares) meanwhile the rest of us outside are wondering if its worthy of a car payment to buy a doll.

so that brings us up to current day. someone has a stash and is quietly deploying these for maximum dollar. they are likely clever enough to know that if they just disperse these one-by-one quietly over the next few months / years, they will get the most bang for the buck bc the demand dwarfs the supply. they got the market cornered. woo-hoo. i can see how folks who want this doll are pissed off bc they dont like to dig in their pocket for a luxury rare bobble. (or perhaps empty their wallet and dig into the kids college fund)

but i cannot understand why anyone should be upset of the idea that KM ended up in an unlikely (unimaginable) position to sell valuable KM dolls. he'd done the labor for years, he'd won a contest in the past fair and square, he was honored with a private grand hullabaloo, and as a result he's got some extra chachkis now which are considered valuable by rabid brewers memorabelia collectors. even if he was very parsimonious and cunning with these toys from the first point "go" - i still dont see the problem. in my conclusion about controversy with this expensive beer vendor bobblehead, i dont think the problem is with kent meyer.

(or maybe talk me out of this. maybe i need to understand other things i dont get!)

I have no issue with him selling them to the highest bidder. Supply and demand.

I'd like him to come clean and admit he was the seller, but I just don't care who sells them. If he wants to make some extra scratch, no big deal.

The only issue I have is that I refuse to pay those prices, so I will forever be left without this add to my collection. It will always seem incomplete to me, but I'll get over it...

:)

Personally I don't agree with a vast majority of the bobblehead whining that goes on around here... we live in a capitalist society where each party to a transaction has alternatives and where the value of something is what someone else will pay for it. If Kent Meyer wants to sell his own bobbleheads and make a lot of money (relatively speaking in terms of bobbleheads), then so be it. No one is forcing anyone else to pay those prices. Everyone has to make choices about how to spend their limited resources (ie money), and I think that a lot of the animosity with regard to these bobbles being sold is sour grapes from people who want the bobble without spending that kind of money. (Even if you argued that he should have given them all away since they were a gift, I feel like that would only decrease a collector's chances at seeing one, so I don't really buy that argument either.)

The other major aspect of bobble-whining that I don't agree with is regarding the alternate versions. I made the decision a long time ago to not even bother trying to collect all the alternate "rare" versions, and I have sold every single one I have gotten through the years, because the money is more worthwhile to me than having a second similar but slightly different version of the same bobble. My theory is what is the point of having a "complete set" just to say I do, if it will cost me a lot more time and money to get a bunch of bobbles I don't even care about all that much once I've already got the original. That again to me is the beauty of capitalism... I buy something if it's worth it to me and don't buy it if it's not worthwhile to me.

Personally I don't agree with a vast majority of the bobblehead whining that goes on around here... we live in a capitalist society where each party to a transaction has alternatives and where the value of something is what someone else will pay for it. If Kent Meyer wants to sell his own bobbleheads and make a lot of money (relatively speaking in terms of bobbleheads), then so be it. No one is forcing anyone else to pay those prices. Everyone has to make choices about how to spend their limited resources (ie money), and I think that a lot of the animosity with regard to these bobbles being sold is sour grapes from people who want the bobble without spending that kind of money. (Even if you argued that he should have given them all away since they were a gift, I feel like that would only decrease a collector's chances at seeing one, so I don't really buy that argument either.)

The other major aspect of bobble-whining that I don't agree with is regarding the alternate versions. I made the decision a long time ago to not even bother trying to collect all the alternate "rare" versions, and I have sold every single one I have gotten through the years, because the money is more worthwhile to me than having a second similar but slightly different version of the same bobble. My theory is what is the point of having a "complete set" just to say I do, if it will cost me a lot more time and money to get a bunch of bobbles I don't even care about all that much once I've already got the original. That again to me is the beauty of capitalism... I buy something if it's worth it to me and don't buy it if it's not worthwhile to me.

I collect them all, including retros, but I agree with you completely. I don't have a problem with anyone obtaining/selling certain bobbles. No one forces me to do what I do. I haven't quite been able to justify throwing down $400 for the super rare ones just yet. I don't have Hall, Mark A. or Kent. I don't really have an interest in Kent, to be honest. At some point $400 for something sitting on my shelf just isn't worth it, but if someone is willing to do it, more power to the buyer and seller.

I really didn't have any problem with collecting retros or shelling out 30 bucks for one, and if people want to that's totally fine. My beef is the number of bobbles put out each year. If they kept it to four and still had retros, great. They put out 10 a year now and throw in retros, it's overkill. To keep collecting to keep up with a "complete set" is silly, so I got out. Its something I started debating a few years ago, removed myself for the most part last year, and really don't care to get more than a few this year. It's really not much of a chase these days as much as an OCD type mentality, so it's not worth it. To get the Kent, Hall, or Mark A isn't worth it to me. I'd rather put that money towards a nice looking Hank Aaron or Jackie Robinson card. Those are likely to go up in value over time and and have demand by people everywhere vs Wisconsin.

In 2003 the Brewers NEEDED bobbleheads to fill the seats. Now they playoff contention teams put people in seats. I would imagine that the attendance on a Sunday with or without a Doug Melvin bobblehead would probably be pretty close. Just my two cents.

And I'm aware that most people don't collect "as an investment" but let's be honest, at some point you'll wanna pass these on to someone, who will either keep them or sell them...or have something to fall back on when push comes to shove...I don't see bobbles losing all values like beanie babies, but I don't know how much value a lot of them will hold up 25 years from now either...

I have been considering selling off a chunk of my minor league bobbles, and just collecting BREWERS SGA bobles only... I am going to re-evalutae these thoughts after this season. I am missing only one Minor league SGA (Nashville George Plaster). The hunt has been fun, but it also gets stressfull sometimes, which is why I am considering downsizing.

Not sure if I will actually follow through on these thoughts, but something has to give, just don't have the display space anymore, and if the Brewers are going to go with 10 bobbles a year, plus alternates, I don't see the space thing getting any easier.

The Brewers SGAs are easy to find, and cheap if they are not the retro/alternate versions.

I also don't collect for the investment opportunity. I collect because I like bobbles.

And I'm aware that most people don't collect "as an investment" but let's be honest, at some point you'll wanna pass these on to someone, who will either keep them or sell them...or have something to fall back on when push comes to shove...I don't see bobbles losing all values like beanie babies, but I don't know how much value a lot of them will hold up 25 years from now either...

Agreed. The world is full of stuff that people thought was going to increase in value. Collector plates, commemorative coins, Frozen Tundra, Starting Lineup figures, special magazine issues, comic books, Hummel & Precious moments figures, Beanie babies, limited edition art prints. . .

We must be wired in some way to think that things that we like and cherish now will be popular in the future. But when things are mass produced, there is a likelihood that stuff will wind up in someone's basement rec room, having little value except as a fond memory.

Buy whatever you like and can afford, and enjoy it now. I wouldn't buy any bobbles with the assumption that they're an investment.

Archived