Brewer Fanatic

Wolf released

patrickgpe

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, there is no point in him pitching every 5th day when that spot can be used to evaluate younger pitchers for next season.

Personally I'm excited for next years rotation, especially if Marcum can be signed for next season so he can prove himself. The fact that the brewers could put a younger rotation together means that they can spend some money on improving the pen.

I think I would have waited for the off-day to make the call, but bidness is bidness, I guess.

Thanks for playing, Randy. The Brewers wouldn't have had three NLCS games at home last year without you, and I enjoyed your attempts at near-eephus pitching.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Ouch it is his birthday today? I am sure Wolf will still manage to have a fun day today; he has many millions of reasons to.

Probably long over due; while he was crappy this year he was very important to the teams success in 2011 and for that reason he will have a special place in my Brewers memory. He was worth the money in 2010 and 2011 but just fell apart this year.

Really happy about this. He was horrible this year. Needed some accountability here. And to answer your question, the September rotation will be Gallardo, Marcum, Estrada, Thornburg, Peralta. Wolf isn't needed.

I think in September they'll go with a 6 man rotation with Fiers and Rogers piggybacking the 6th spot rather than being completely shut down. Last night they pulled Estrada when he was under 100 pitches. Look for more of that too.

It looks like he deleted it, but Mike Vassallo had a really horribly timed tweet this morning. It was something to the effect of being Wolf's birthday today and for a present the Brewers were giving him an off-day tomorrow. Oops.
I saw that too!

Needless to say, smart move by the Brewers. The jsonline article reads like the Brewers were trying to move Wolf, not no one wanted him. Be interesting to see if anyone picks him up for the min.

Thanks for the time Randy ... this is a good move for the Brewers as we have a little over a month to get an idea of what the competition of our starting rotation will be ASIS. Lets go Peralta! Does he get called up right away then?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/roenicke-ponders-rotation-496i8lm-166843676.html

From yesterday's JS:

Roenicke said Marco Estrada's innings also are being monitored and he could be moved to the bullpen at some point to limit his work.

Looks like the September rotation could be very interesting. Possibly Gallardo and Marcum every 5 days, then mixing and matching the other 3 spots. You've got Rogers, Fiers, and Estrada who need their innings limited, but Thornburg and Peralta may need to get more innings in.

Angle that might explain the timing: Segura was limping after his last at-bat Tuesday night, and a tweet from Tom Haudricourt confirms that he is still limping today. Ransom is starting at SS for Wednesday's game, so Jean must be unavailable today - hence the need for a backup, and the inability to wait for an off-day/day after Randy's birthday to cut him.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

It's been a tough year for Wolf but overall I think it was a good signing and I certainly won't forget his performance at St Louis in the NLCS last year. I hope that he gets picked up by a contender and can help them the remainder of the season. It might actually work out for him that he was released prior to September 1.

People are going to rip Wolf. I agree that he isn't the pitcher he was with the Phillies. I also agree that he has no place in our future. However, I thought he competed the best he could with the stuff he has. He was much more valuable than Suppan and his contract wasn't nearly as big of albatross. He won a play-off game for us and I wish him luck.

i think, since he was released instead of being designated for assignment, that the brewers have severed all ties with randy...so they probably already paid him the buyout, or there was a pre determined date when he would receive the buyout...likewise, they will have paid him his remaining pay for this year...

this certainly came after he was put on waivers and no one claimed him

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Other than his increased home run rate, Wolf was about the same as he had been the previous two years. GB% was up, K rate was up.....340 BABIP killed him.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived