Brewer Fanatic

Khris Davis - thoughts, speculation

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I noticed that Khris Davis has been hitting like crazy this year (once he got healthy).

John Sickels did a look at him here: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/8/14/3242871/minor-league-prospect-note-khris-davis-of-milwaukee-brewers

He sounds like an interesting prospect, and I was wondering what others thought about, especially those who have seen him play.

Sickels says he's essentially limited to LF, which is (obviously) filled for a long time to come.

I guess I'm curious as to what people think about his future in Milwaukee. Is he for real? Where would he fit in? Could he play RF? 1B?

Thanks.

RF no, 1B probably but the Brewers have never tried him. Right now he's strictly a LF.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

its kinda weird that we finally have a postional log jam. seems like its been since prince came up that there has been a minor leaguer ready that room had to be made for. i fully believe that braun could handle RF. aoki/gomez semi platoon/ davis/ braun but what is done with schafer? hunter morris is destroying AA(not implying that he should start at 1b for the crew next year) but it seems like hart may be there to stay and they are talking extension and gamel will be ready for next year. not that its a horrible problem to have but they have some things to figure out.

Well... Braun has a strong enough arm to play RF. Hart has impressed at 1B and told his agent to tell the Brewers he will play any position the Brewers want him to play to stay with the team. I think it is possible that if Hart is moved to 1B permanently that Braun could take over in RF IF they are high enough on Davis' bat. While I think the Brewers would be better off having more LH batters in their starting lineup (Aoki, Gamel, Schafer, Gindl, etc.), Davis seems to have picked up where he left off whereas Gindl has regressed and Schafer has more value in CF. Davis in LF could have more offensive potential than Aoki/Gindl/Schafer in RF.

I like that OF plan LouisEly. Aoki is still a nice guy, but as the season has worn on he looks more like his initial profile 4th OF type speed OBP type, not enough SLG to make it in the corners. Davis in LF gives you a chance with some more development out of Segura to have a step forward offensively next year, and not a lot of defensive backsliding. Gindl and Schafer battle it out in the spring for the 5th OF and you have a nice option handy for injuries. Morris gets to continue to refine for a year and help decide whether you retain Hart or go young. Doesn't address Gamel however. Maybe a change of scenery trade for some fresh arms for the pen?

My biggest fear is that we sign Hart long term to play 1B, squeezing Morris out of a job, and the brewers thinking he is expendable...

I love Corey Hart, and I love the fact he is willing to do whatever the team wants him to to remain a Brewer, but I hate seeing young talent roadblocked by guys who will play out to be below the league average offensively at their positions (Hart at 1B)

I think at some point, Braun is going to have to move to RF so Davis can play LF. We can't ignore that kind of bat, PERIOD!

I don't believe that Boras is going to allow us to sign Gomez, so I think he is gone, leaving Aoki/one of our Minor guys to play CF.

Bats like Morris and Davis can't be ignored forever, and if they are better than what we are fielding now, they have to be given the opportunity to win a position.

And what about Scooter?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

RF no, 1B probably but the Brewers have never tried him. Right now he's strictly a LF.

He can play RF it is just that his arm can't play there. If his bat can play at RF I'm not all that worried that his arm would be inadequate for RF if anything you can bring in a defensive replacement in the later innings if you want.

If Morris for whatever reason doesn't continue to improve I would be all for moving Braun to 1B and having Davis taking over in LF.

Archived