Brewer Fanatic

What's likely to happen with Scarpetta this off-season?

HiAndTight

He was issued an additional option year this past season, his 4th, correct? And after missing out on much of the year, he's certainly not a guy who's likely to be in any contention to make the Brewers roster next year. I'm just curious if he's a guy that's going to be back next year, or if he'll likely be gone.

He's a guy I'm a pretty big fan of...reminds me a bit of Sheets with the 95 MPH fastball and the hammer curve, though obviously lacking the command.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The Brewers should see what he can do in spring training. If his command is acceptable then they should give him a spot in the bullpen. If he finds success in the bullpen, maybe at some point they should stretch him out a bit and see if he can stick in the rotation.

Is he healthy? Why not give him a shot in September?

:indifferent

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

The Brewers should see what he can do in spring training. If his command is acceptable then they should give him a spot in the bullpen. If he finds success in the bullpen, maybe at some point they should stretch him out a bit and see if he can stick in the rotation.

I still like him a lot, and if it wasn't for the issue with him signing, he'd still be under control, but keeping him on the 25 man at this point would likely be akin to keeping a rule 5 pick. There are just so many guys ahead of him in the pecking order, and this was the worst time for him to suffer an injury that cost him a season. I thought he was on course for a Peralta like 2011 type season.

He'd missed a whole lot of bats throughout the minors with a 10 K/9 ratio at age 21 in A+ before seeing that number dip significantly to 7.5 in AA at 22. Overall he's still at 9.5 for his minor league career, but he's also at 4.6 BB/9 which has been a pretty consistent problem.

In situations like these, do we just offer him more than you'd offer your average minor leaguer and start him back off in A ball next year to get his feet wet in May or whenever he's ready to throw again(he had TJ surgery early last May, so I think him starting on the 25 man is out of the question either way).

Just wonder what our options are. Obviously everyone here knows TJ is almost routie to come back from now, and hell, if he could be a guy to add a tick and be able to hit 96-97 as a reliever, with his fastball-curve combo, he could be a very useful BP arm in '14. I'm just hoping we don't lose him after this year without ever really finding out what he's capable of.

I know it's unlikely, but he may be one of the hopefully two or three guys from our wide assortment of minor league arms to figure it out and impact the team at the next level. We'll see though.

I agree with this. I have always been high on him. Would be very interesting for the pen if he adds a tick or two post tjs, most guys do, but also just throwing for shorter stints should add a tick or two. I think we have yet to see anything from this kid that he is capable of and that is dissappointing. For a half season in double A, two years ago, he put it together and he was sick nasty. Reading those post games were fun. hope we take a chance on him on the 40man.

I agree with this. I have always been high on him. Would be very interesting for the pen if he adds a tick or two post tjs, most guys do, but also just throwing for shorter stints should add a tick or two. I think we have yet to see anything from this kid that he is capable of and that is dissappointing. For a half season in double A, two years ago, he put it together and he was sick nasty. Reading those post games were fun. hope we take a chance on him on the 40man.

Yeah, I was sorta hedging my bets there. Could he add a tick FROM Tommy John like many do, or will his velocity just spike in shorter stints?

Before the TJ surgery it would have been logical to suggest he could hit 96-97 in the pen and probably average maybe 93.5-94-ish. Maybe he gets 2-3 MPH with TJ and the shorter stints and he's a 97-98 guy. With his hammer curve, he'd be pretty similar to Axford.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see him spend next year as a starter working his way back to AA by starting him off in A ball, and then when he feels good again, a move up to AA. Then you just kinda see how he pitches. If he warrants a look at the big league club which I'd have to say is unlikely outside of a Sept. callup, or if you just move him up the next logical level to AAA.

But if you put him on waivers I just wonder what'll happen to him. A team like KC for example claims him, puts him on the 60 day, then they max out his rehab....at which time they're likely out of the race and they can see what he can do. It could end up hurting him in the long run, not getting another two years of development.

But again, I'm not even certain how this would work. Would he have to sign a minor league deal?? I'm just not certain what situation we're in with him moving forward.....

Archived