Brewer Fanatic

Melky Cabrera suspended 50 games

crossface21

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's weird to me is that if McCutchen falls off a bit, he could still win the Batting Title. He'll finish with 501 AB's, and correct me if I'm wrong, you only need 503 to qualify. Giving him the other 0 for 2 should still keep him around .345

A few early links:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2012/08/melky-cabrera-giants-50-game-suspension-testosterone/1#.UCvyH6Cs2Sp (USAToday.com)

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/giants/2012/08/15/breaking-melky-cabrera-suspended-50-games-will-miss-rest-of-regular-season/ (San Jose Mercury News Giants blog)

In light of the classic maternal admonition to not say anything at all if you can't say anything nice...I'm done with this post. (Crew2323 has a point, though.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

One has to wonder how much a language barrier is to blame for positive tests. I haven't looked it up, but from memory it seems like the majority of players that have been suspended are hispanic. I think it was David Ortiz who brought this up once before that a lot of foreign players take legitimate and legal supplements that contain banned substances because they don't understand what they can and can't take.

One has to wonder how much a language barrier is to blame for positive tests. I haven't looked it up, but from memory it seems like the majority of players that have been suspended are hispanic. I think it was David Ortiz who brought this up once before that a lot of foreign players take legitimate and legal supplements that contain banned substances because they don't understand what they can and can't take.

That's an interesting angle to consider. However, if it were me in the position of making tons of dough to play in MLB, I'd make sure to run things by someone who'd be able to verify what substances were good or not. I know it's a cynical reaction to the language barrier point to say this, but it doesn't sway me.

I do feel oddly conflicted about this suspension, even though logically I know I shouldn't. I think seeing how Braun has been treated by many fans ('blind hate' is a phrase that would fit, imo) makes me pause a little before just hating/booing a player.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Community Moderator

Lots of interesting angles to this story with how it relates to the Braun situation.

Now that we have an MLB all-star left fielder admitting to taking to testosterone, what does that say about another MLB all-star left fielder that also tested positive for testosterone but was acquitted? Not saying that this increases the chance that Braun knowingly took PEDs, but it is conclusive proof that PED use is still occurring (and not just by replacement players or Manny Ramirez).

I'm sure this will only increase the Giants fans' dislike of the Brewers.

I'm sure this will only increase the Giants fans' dislike of the Brewers.

Oh, there's a ton of "at least he admitted it" and "Braun got off on a technicality/because of Selig/because he's white" on the radio and newspaper comment sections here.

That mishandling of samples does cause false positives (Diane Modahl) and that bruan's numbers before and after his false positive are totally different than Melky's doesn't seem to get through to them; getting pretty upset about it.

What's weird to me is that if McCutchen falls off a bit, he could still win the Batting Title. He'll finish with 501 AB's, and correct me if I'm wrong, you only need 503 to qualify. Giving him the other 0 for 2 should still keep him around .345

Jayson Stark addresses this on Twitter;

He's one PA shy of qualifying for batting title. Can still win it if no one finishes above .346

But if he's one PA shy of qualifying, how will he win it? He's going to be suspended the rest of the season.

If I'm not mistaken, they tack on hitless ABs until the minimum threshold is met. If nobody else qualifies at a better average, that person wins the batting title.

But if he's one PA shy of qualifying, how will he win it? He's going to be suspended the rest of the season.

If I'm not mistaken, they tack on hitless ABs until the minimum threshold is met. If nobody else qualifies at a better average, that person wins the batting title.

This is correct, though it is plate appearances, not at-bats.

I can barely see this thread the irony is so thick. A last gasp push to get Melky into the All Star Game starting outfield by Giants fan, knocking out the MVP outfielder who was wrongfully accused of doping, and it turns out the guy the Giant fans push into the game is only relevant because he was doping. Wow.

I bet his career year has absolutely nothing to do with this.......

Atleast Braun has been consistent year in and year out; the guy was an average player that happened to turn into an MVP after playing in a HUGE pitchers park.

His season has more to do with an incredibly high BABIP (.379) than it does anything else. He's hitting .346/.390/.516 this year, but hit .305/.339/.470 in KC last year with a BABIP of .332.

I suppose you could try to make the argument that the high BABIP is the result of extra help, but it's not like he's hitting for a ton of power. He was on pace for roughly the same amount of HR and 2B as last year, but the SLG was helped by having 10 triples already (likely a result of the home ballpark and "Triples Alley"). His Line Drive rate is up by about 1% over last year, but he's actually hitting more ground balls and less fly balls than last season.

Basically, he's hitting so much better this season because more balls are sneaking through the infield. Unless someone can prove higher testosterone causes more balls to sneak through the infield, I'm more likely to believe this season is a lucky fluke more than the result of being on something.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I can barely see this thread the irony is so thick. A last gasp push to get Melky into the All Star Game starting outfield by Giants fan, knocking out the MVP outfielder who was wrongfully accused of doping, and it turns out the guy the Giant fans push into the game is only relevant because he was doping. Wow.

Hmm, new signature. Thank you :)

Doh, too long.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

This is correct, though it is plate appearances, not at-bats.

The tack-ons would be ABs.

Archived