Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Mon. 8/13 -- Tyler Thornburg makes his first Greer Stadium start

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Monday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Nashville: RHP Tyler Thornburg at home vs. Salt Lake (Angels), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Jeff Hem is the new play-by-play voice of the Sounds; follow him on Twitter @jeffhempbp; we'll link to his blog updates at On the Air…and Off

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Nashville games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $39.99 season-long package ($9.99 to pay for a single month). We imagine the audio feed is from the home team. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

Huntsville: Idle

Brevard County: Idle

Wisconsin: RHP Eric Semmelhack at home vs. Clinton (Mariners), 6:45 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link - 1280 AM WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; Wisconsin is one of only two (Great Lakes) Midwest League clubs that have all their home games available via MiLB.TV; Chris' call provides the audio. So for the $39.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sounds games, all Timber Rattlers home games, and Stars' road games from four Southern League locales, plus one July Helena series (11th-13th).

Helena: TBD (likely LHP Taylor Wall) at Grand Junction (Rockies), 7:50 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Helena feed from the MiLB main audio page

We're lucky to have Steve Wendt back on board for another H-Crew season.

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at home vs. the mini-Royals; 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at home vs. the DSL Braves, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until late afternoon at the earliest

Brewer Fanatic Staff
You'd think the DSL Brewers and Braves would make up last week's rainout at the Braves' complex when they next meet there on the 18th. But if you notice today's game goes only seven innings, it means we'll then look for a nightcap in which the Cerveceritos would be the road team in the nightcap.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League North Division

High-A - Florida State League North Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Rookie Advanced - Pioneer League North Division

Rookie - Arizona Summer League

DSL - Dominican Summer League San Pedro de Macoris Division

NOTE: AAA Nashville, Rookie Maryvale and the DSL do not play a split schedule. When you click on a standings link for Huntsville, Brevard County, Wisconsin, and/or Helena, you'll then be able to choose 1st half and/or overall standings in addition to the current 2nd half standings.

under who's radar, there's been plenty of talk about his future with the bat outside of MiLB. More video at the link

Under the radar, Hamilton hitting too

Speedster amasses three hits, three RBIs, three stolen bases

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Redbirds' Miller continues turnaround

Cardinals' top prospect fans 10, records third straight victory

By Sam Dykstra / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/08/11/ieTY6ctr.jpg

Shelby Miller ranks third in the PCL with 125 strikeouts. (Allison Rhoades/Memphis Redbirds)

After a rough introduction to the Pacific Coast League, Shelby Miller knew that if he wanted to trust his stuff again, he had to trust those around him first.

Since he's done that, he sounds like the same pitcher MLB.com declared baseball's No. 2 prospect.

The Cardinals' top farmhand recorded a season-high 10 strikeouts and allowed three runs on seven hits over 5 2/3 innings Saturday in Triple-A Memphis' 7-5 win over Tacoma.

Miller (8-9) has won three straight starts and four of his last five after going 1-6 in 13 starts from May 5-July 14. And with 26 strikeouts during his winning streak, he's equaled his total for the previous six outings.

Put another way, the 21-year-old right-hander was 4-8 with a 6.17 ERA before the Triple-A All-Star break. In five games since, he's 4-1 with a 3.12 ERA. But he's not allowing himself to take all the credit for the turnaround.

"A lot of that goes to my catcher [bryan Anderson], especially in pitch selection," said Miller, the 19th overall pick in the 2009 Draft. "I was really stubborn early with my fastball. It's all I wanted to throw, but it ended up inside a lot. These guys were hitting it pretty well. But ever since, we've grown some chemistry in our first year together and I've followed him a little. It's going great and, hopefully, we can keep it going."

That trust was almost forced upon Miller, however. The Cardinals organization imposed a new rule around the All-Star break, prohibiting him from shaking off the pitches for which his backstop called.

The Houston native begrudgingly accepted the assignment at first, but he's warmed to the idea.

"I just thought, 'Ah, all right, I guess,'" Miller said. "But then I was thinking if I make the Majors, Yadier Molina's going to be my catcher, and that's someone you're definitely not going to shake off. Plus, Anderson's someone I should trust anyways. He's been in this league for a few years.

"I've just been going with what he's called and it's gotten a lot better. This stretch has reminded me why I love baseball again. Things couldn't be better right now."

As it goes, there's no better time than the present, and the Cardinals undoubtedly are glad to see their top prospect return to the form that earned him the organization's Minor League Pitcher of the Year award each of the last two seasons.

But Miller noted there's something a little extra in improving at this point in the season.

"Everyone knows you're going to struggle at some point," he said. "No All-Star starter isn't going to have a time when he goes 0-for-4 with four strikeouts. Roy Halladay -- one of the best pitchers in the game -- gives up a lot of runs every now and again. But bouncing back is the main thing. Ending the season strong is big, and I'm hoping to do that here."

The second-half improvement might even catch the eye of the Cardinals' front office. And while Miller isn't expecting to be among St. Louis' September callups, he'll have his phone handy, just in case.

"I'd rather have good second-half numbers than first-half numbers," he said. "Hopefully, they give me an opportunity because of that. I love this organization and everyone in it. It'd be a dream come true to pitch for them this season. I just can hope I finish well enough to get that call."

Luis Montanez went 2-for-5 with a double and two RBIs, while Anderson supported his batterymate with a solo homer.

Rainiers designated hitter Luis Antonio Jimenez homered and drove in four runs as part of a 3-for-4 night.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Pirates prospect, a good story and video at the link

Rain can't wash Wilson's no-no away

Southpaw key in Indians no-hitter for second time this season

- Plato

- Plato

Top Prospect Performers Over The Weekend, Aug. 10-12

Pittsburgh featured prominently between the 2 lists, Peralta and Jungmann make the list for the Brewers.

- Plato

- Plato

BA Hot Sheet Aug 10, 2012

No. 6 STARLING PERALTA, RHP

CUBS

Team: low Class A Peoria (Midwest)

Why He's Here: 1-0, 1.29, 7 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 BB, 14 SO

The Scoop: It took Peralta three years in the Dominican Summer League to show the Cubs enough to earn a visa to the States. It's taken him another two years to establish himself as a legitimate prospect, but these days Peralta has proven he's one to keep an eye on. He's still somewhat inconsistent, but what was once an 89-92 mph fastball is now a 92-94 heater that tops out near 96. His slider comes and goes, but on days like Tuesday it's a plus pitch. Clinton sure couldn't hit it, and Peralta put together one of the biggest strikeout nights (14) we've seen this year. His previous career high was eight.

No. 12 DAN VOGELBACH, 1B

CUBS

Team: short-season Boise (Northwest)

Why He's Here: .333/.429/1.000 (8-for-24), 6 R, 5 HR, 9 RBI, 4 BB, 7 SO

The Scoop: Scouts said Vogelbach's bat would have to carry him, and so far it has—and in a big way. The ultra-stout Vogelbach went deep in four straight games, including a pair of solo blasts last night against Everett to run his yearly total to 13 in just 39 games. (Note that he spent his first 24 games in the Rookie-level Arizona League.) He also has 32 extra-base hits in 161 at-bats this year, good for a rate of one every five at-bats. Possessing plus-plus raw power to all fields, Vogelbach has shred 30 pounds since high school and has proven he's ready to handle full-season ball next year.

In The Team Photo

Everyone wants to talk about Gerrit Cole, Jameson Taillon and Luis Heredia, but don't sleep on Pirates 24-year-old LHP Jeff Locke. With 7 1/3 shutout innings on Friday, Locke lowered his ERA to 2.66 in 125 innings for Triple-A Indianapolis, then got called up to Pittsburgh for the stretch run. Locke looks like a solid bet to be at least a back-end starter, but there could be even more in there . . .

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wisconsin Media Notes

The Timber Rattlers are in the 2012 Midwest League playoffs as the first half champions of the Western Division. Wisconsin‟s overall record is 68-50. They have a 3-1/2 game lead over the Beloit Snappers (65-54) for the best overall record in the Western Division. Home field advantage in the second round of the playoffs is based on best overall record.

BA Hot Sheet Chat Aug 10, 2012

All the talk about Carlos Rondon in Friday's chat makes me sad... what could have been. We narrowly missed out on both Trout and Rondon, bah humbug.

Ben (Leland Grove): Why has Michael Wacha been used only in short stints? He's not going to be a RP fulltime, is he? (Please say no.)

J.J. Cooper: No. Just limiting innings for a college pitcher who threw a lot this year. In the past 5 years under the old CBA, Wacha would likely not have thrown at all this season. Zimmer, Stratton and other college first-round picks are on the same plan.

Itto (PR): Will Don Vogelbach be a BA top 100 player at the end of the year?

J.J. Cooper: Probably not. He's a power-hitting first baseman who has yet to play full-season ball. The margin for error on those kind of guys is pretty small because of the lack of position versatility. I like Vogelbach as a prospect, but he's likely to have to do it at higher levels to crack the Top 100.

Mike (Philly): How close was Jameson Taillon to making the Hot Sheet? 2 starts this past week, solid numbers, surprised he wasn't "In the team photo"

J.J. Cooper: Not all that close. Not many K's this week and he had one very good start and one OK one (hit an inning, 3 runs, 1 earned, 2 walks, 3 Ks).

DJ (South Florida): Gregory Polanco... The speed, the power, the contact ability... The size! What an intriguing prospect. With his output this year and all those tools, is he a potential top 25 prospect? What's his upside?

J.J. Cooper: I could see putting him in the top 25, but then, I'm trying to sign up to be the conductor of the Polanco bandwagon. When I started talking to scouts for the midseason Top 50, I'll be honest, I didn't have him even on the list of guys to consider, but scouts kept bringing him up. I did a little more digging and really haven't found anything not to like. He has plus-plus speed, good plate-discipline, some oppo field power already, plays a very good CF with an excellent arm. And he has great makeup from what his coaches say. He's a stud who should only get better and better.

bk (Hong kong): I'm a bit confused on Vogelbach's weight. you mentioned in this week's hot prospects that he's lost 30lbs since high school. he's listed at 240lbs in the 2011 Draft profile. his BA player card has him at 250lbs. how much does he weigh?

J.J. Cooper: I haven't heard an exact weight on him recently, and do know that those weights comes from the official statistician, but often teams don't update them often (for example, Gregory Polanco is still listed at the same 170 he was when he came to the States, he's at least 195-200 and probably more than that now). The best way to put it is Vogelbach is, was and always will be a big man.

Brandon (Toronto): In 2009 Mike Trout debuted at #85 on BA's top 100 - two years later he was #3, Jurickson Profar went from #74 after 2010 to a likely #1 or #2 spot after the 2012 season, Oscar Taveras was #74 after 2011 and will likely wind up top 15 after 2012. I realize this is hard to predict, otherwise these guys would be ranked higher from the start. However, my question for you is who do you see being the next big jump from barely top 100 prospect to stud prospect? Any sleepers we should look out for right now?

J.J. Cooper: Gregory Polanco? OK, I'll slow down on my Polanco love, but seriously, I could see him being in the top 50 heading into next year and climbing into the top 10 in 2013 with a really good year.

Trey (Boston): Wow Polanco, Hanson, Taillon, Cole, Heredia that's a pretty good farm. Josh Bell too. How good do you think the Pirates farm is now? Top 10?

J.J. Cooper: Yes, I think they are a Top 10 system.

Drew (IL): It was a pleasent surprise to see Starling Peralta put together a nice game, especially with the cubs lack of pitching depth, I know he doesn't have Ace stuff, but could he be a mid rotation type guy? and how does he rank compared to other Cubs pitching prospects?

J.J. Cooper: He still has a long ways to go with consistency, but the stuff is there that when he has his slider, he can be a solid prospect. I think he's more of a 20-30 guy in the system right now, but he's taken some nice strides.

Justin (Cincinnati): Thanks for the chat, always appreciate it. Could you rank these pitching prospects for the Reds for me: Robert Stephenson, Daniel Corcino and Tony Cingrani? Thanks.

J.J. Cooper: I try to figure that out on a regular basis. Would probably go Stephenson, Corcino, Cingrani right now, but it's pretty close between all three.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Audio from Music City — “Mondays with Mike (Guerrero)”

Jeff Hem's note -- Here is this week’s installment of “Mondays with Mike” with Sounds manager Mike Guerrero, who discusses the Sounds’ recent 4-4 road trip through Fresno and Sacramento, the Sounds’ first three games of this homestand against Salt Lake, the seven-inning, one-run performance by Wily Peralta on Saturday night, the Sounds’ continued stellar defense (seven consecutive errorless games), the call-up today of infielder Jeff Bianchi and whether or not the Brewers typically ask Guerrero for his opinion on roster moves.

Final Game 1: DSL Braves 7, DSL Brewers 2 (7 innings)

Game 1 Box Score

Jorge Ortega was the starter here and gave up 6 runs in 4.2 innings though only 2 were earned. All of the damage came on 6 hits, no walks, a wild pitch, and no home runs, but 5 errors combined between the 2nd and 5th innings did him in. Junior Flores pitched the remainder of the game allowing 1 run over his 2.1 innings.

No Brewers had an XBH or a multi-hit game though Leudi Otano did manage to fill up the box score in multiple ways:

BASERUNNING

SB: Otano (1, 2nd base off Flores/De La Cruz, A).

FIELDING

E: Otano 3 (4, fielding, throw, throw), Martinez, K (3, throw), Mendoza, A (12, fielding).

Outfield assists: Otano (Camargo at 2nd base).

Game 1 Play By Play

Ugly.

DSL Braves Top of the 2nd

• Victor Reyes reaches on a fielding error by second baseman Leudi Otano.
    With Miguel Rivero batting, Victor Reyes steals (12) 2nd base, . Victor Reyes advances to 3rd, on a throwing error by catcher Kevin Martinez.
    Miguel Rivero singles on a line drive to center fielder Juan Ortiz. Victor Reyes scores.
    With Iosif Bernal batting, Miguel Rivero steals (3) 2nd base.
    Iosif Bernal reaches on a fielder's choice, fielded by pitcher Jorge Ortega. Miguel Rivero to 3rd.
    Juruengelo Tielman grounds into a force out, shortstop Alejandro Mendoza to second baseman Leudi Otano. Miguel Rivero scores. Iosif Bernal out at 2nd. Juruengelo Tielman advances to 1st, on a throwing error by second baseman Leudi Otano.
    Alexander De La Cruz flies out to center fielder Juan Ortiz.
    Nisandro Cleofa grounds out to first baseman Juan De Leon.

DSL Braves Top of the 5th

• Alexander De La Cruz singles on a line drive to center fielder Juan Ortiz.
    With Nisandro Cleofa batting, wild pitch by Jorge Ortega, Alexander De La Cruz to 2nd.
    Nisandro Cleofa singles on a line drive to center fielder Juan Ortiz. Alexander De La Cruz to 3rd.
    Gerald Chin out on a sacrifice fly to left fielder Elvis Rubio. Alexander De La Cruz scores.
    Johan Camargo singles on a line drive to center fielder Juan Ortiz. Nisandro Cleofa to 2nd.
    Ibrahim McKenzie singles on a line drive to center fielder Juan Ortiz. Nisandro Cleofa to 3rd. Johan Camargo to 2nd.
    Victor Reyes grounds into a force out, shortstop Alejandro Mendoza to second baseman Leudi Otano. Nisandro Cleofa scores. Johan Camargo scores. Ibrahim McKenzie out at 2nd. Victor Reyes advances to 2nd, on a throwing error by second baseman Leudi Otano.
    Pitching Change: Junior Flores replaces Jorge Ortega.
    With Miguel Rivero batting, wild pitch by Junior Flores, Victor Reyes to 3rd.
    Miguel Rivero reaches on a fielding error by shortstop Alejandro Mendoza. Victor Reyes scores.
    Iosif Bernal called out on strikes.

- Plato

- Plato

Suspended Game 2: DSL Brewers 3, DSL Braves 2 (5.5 Innings)

Game 2 Box Score

Gian Rizzo got the start in game 2 and it's actually somewhat disappointing when he gives up runs, how dare he! Gian went 5 complete allowing 2 earned runs on 7 hits, no walks, a wild pitch and a HBP against 4 strike outs. Joan De La Cruz came on to relieve Rizzo for the 6th but didn't get to face a batter.

The Brewer bats got Rizzo off the hook tying the game in the 5th and taking the lead in the top of the 6th. Elvis Rubio (2-3,2B,SB) led the way offensively with Juan Ortiz (0-1,2BB), Alejandro Mendoza (1-2,2B), Leudi Otano (1-3,2B), and Jose Dicent (0-2,BB,SB) all adding contributions of their own.

Game 2 Play By Play

The Braves and Brewers traded runs here...

DSL Braves Bottom of the 4th

• Johan Camargo grounds out, shortstop Alejandro Mendoza to first baseman Juan De Leon.
    Ibrahim McKenzie singles on a ground ball to right fielder Yunior Santana.
    With Victor Reyes batting, Ibrahim McKenzie caught stealing 2nd base, catcher Natanael Mejia to shortstop Alejandro Mendoza.
    Victor Reyes singles on a fly ball to right fielder Yunior Santana.
    Miguel Rivero singles on a line drive to right fielder Yunior Santana. Victor Reyes scores. Miguel Rivero to 2nd on the throw.
    Iosif Bernal singles on a fly ball to center fielder Juan Ortiz. Miguel Rivero scores. Iosif Bernal to 2nd on the throw.
    Carlos Castro pops out to shortstop Alejandro Mendoza.

DSL Brewers Top of the 5th

• Elvis Rubio singles on a ground ball to third baseman Johan Camargo.
    With Yunior Santana batting, Elvis Rubio steals (5) 2nd base.
    Yunior Santana flies out to left fielder Iosif Bernal.
    Leudi Otano doubles (3) on a fly ball to center fielder Nisandro Cleofa. Elvis Rubio scores.
    Natanael Mejia singles on a line drive to right fielder Miguel Rivero. Leudi Otano to 3rd.
    Juan Ortiz walks. Natanael Mejia to 2nd.
    Alejandro Mendoza out on a sacrifice bunt, third baseman Johan Camargo to first baseman Ibrahim McKenzie. Leudi Otano scores. Natanael Mejia to 3rd. Juan Ortiz to 2nd.
    Carlos Belonis lines out to first baseman Ibrahim McKenzie.

The Brewers jumped in front with a single tally to take the lead.

DSL Brewers Top of the 6th

• Juan De Leon strikes out swinging.
    Jose Dicent walks.
    Pitching Change: Ramon Sauceda replaces Francisco Gonzalez.
    With Elvis Rubio batting, Jose Dicent steals (5) 2nd base.
    Elvis Rubio doubles (12) on a fly ball to left fielder Iosif Bernal. Jose Dicent scores.
    Yunior Santana strikes out swinging.
    Leudi Otano called out on strikes.

- Plato

- Plato

Final: Clinton 4, Wisconsin 7

Wisconsin tops Clinton to take series

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

GRAND CHUTE, WI - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers wrapped up their regular season series against the Clinton LumberKings with a 7-4 win Monday night at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium. Ben McMahan and Greg Hopkins each drove in a pair of runs in the game for the Rattlers.

Wisconsin (69-50 overall, 25-25 second half) got on the board in the first inning. Max Walla doubled with one out. McMahan doubled with two outs to drive in Walla. Nick Ramirez was next and he lined a single to right to score McMahan for a 2-0 lead.

Clinton (53-65, 30-20) got their first run in the fourth inning. Jabari Blash doubled to start the inning. A single by Kevin Rivers drove in Blash and the Wisconsin lead was a single run.

Chadwin Stang put the Rattlers back up by two runs with an RBI single in the fourth inning.

Wisconsin starting pitcher Eric Semmelhack tossed a scoreless fifth inning for Wisconsin and turned the game over to Maverick Lasker. Semmelhack allowed one run on six hits and struck out five to put himself in line for his second win of the season.

The LumberKings got to Lasker for a run in the top of the sixth inning on a run scoring fielder's choice to make the score 3-2.

Wisconsin padded the lead in the bottom of the seventh inning. Hopkins stepped to the plate with the bases loaded and two outs against reliever Josh Corrales and plated two runs with a single. Corrales hit Mike Garza to reload the bases and was replaced by John Taylor, who promptly hit Rafael Neda to force in a run to make the score 6-2.

Lasker got into trouble in the eighth inning as he allowed an RBI single to Mike Dowd with one out. But, Lasker escaped the inning by getting Guillermo Pimentel to ground into an inning ending double play.

McMahan provided Wisconsin with their seventh run of the game with a single to score Walla in the bottom of the eighth inning. Walla was on base three times on Monday and scored all three times.

Dillon Hazlett would hit a solo home run in the top of the ninth inning, but Lasker got the final outs of the game to close out the LumberKings and pick up his first save of the season.

The Rattlers took two of three from Clinton in the just completed series at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium. Wisconsin went 12-3 in the season series against the LumberKings.

Wisconsin is off on Tuesday for their final scheduled off day of the regular season. The Rattlers resume Midwest League play on Wednesday in Beloit. Shaun Marcum of the Milwaukee Brewers is scheduled to make his second rehabilitation start for Wisconsin. Cole Johnson (1-1, 1.11) will get the start for the Snappers. Game time is 7:00pm. Tune in for the broadcast on AM1280, WNAM or timberrattlers.com starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 6:40pm.

PITCHER OF THE WEEK NOTE: Wisconsin Timber Rattlers pitcher Mark Williams was named the Midwest League Pitcher of the Week earlier on Monday. Williams went 1-0 in two games - one start - last week. He allowed no runs on six hits, walked two, and struck out thirteen in eight innings. Williams pitched a seven-inning complete game shutout and struck out eleven in the second game of a double header against Cedar Rapids on August 10. This is the second time Williams has been named the Pitcher of the Week for the Midwest League in 2012.

HOME RUN:

CLN:

Dillon Hazlett (5th, 0 on in 9th inning off Maverick Lasker, 1 out)

WP: Eric Semmelhack (2-1)

LP: Seon-Gi Kim (3-4)

SAVE: Maverick Lasker (1)

TIME: 3:18

ATTN: 1,869

Wisconsin Box Score

I somehow came down with the flu or something in the middle of August so I'm going to keep it short tonight. Ben McMahan and Brandon Macias each had 2-5 nights. Nick Ramirez was on base four times with a single and three walks. Every Rattler except Rafael Neda had a hit tonight. Eric Semmelhack struck out five in five innings and allowed just one run. Maverick Lasker picked up the four inning save, allowing three runs on six hits.

Wisconsin Play By Play

Brew Crew Ball's Timber Rattlers Notebook

Final: Salt Lake City 5, Nashville 4 (12 Innings)

Sounds Split Series With Salt Lake With Extra-Inning Loss

Sean Halton Finishes A Homer Short Of Cycle

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Efren Navarro hit a sacrifice fly to plate Kole Calhoun in the top of the 12th inning to give the Salt Lake Bees a 5-4 win over the Nashville Sounds in the finale of a four-game series on Monday night at Greer Stadium.

Calhoun (4-for-6) doubled to begin the frame, moved to third on a single, and scored the winning run on the long fly ball from Navarro.

Nashville split the four-game series, while three of the four contests between the clubs were decided by one run.

It was the PCL co-leading 14th extra-inning contest (5-9) for the Sounds and sixth in the last 18 games. Nashville has lost seven of the last eight extra-inning games leading back to May 28.

First baseman Sean Halton went 3-for-5 and finished a homer short of the cycle. Shortstop Edwin Maysonet doubled with a season-high three RBIs. Khris Davis added two hits and a run batted in.

In his fourth Triple-A start and first at home this season, Nashville starter Tyler Thornburg gave up one unearned run on six hits in five innings of work. The 23-year-old struck out five and walked zero in 79 pitches (51 strikes). Thornburg has allowed two runs or less in all four of his starts for Nashville. Sounds starting pitchers have a tossed a 1.20 ERA (4er/30.0ip) in their last five games.

The Sounds jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning, beginning with leadoff hitter Eric Farris doubling left field. The shortstop would score two batters later when outfielder Khris Davis singled to center.

· AUDIO: Davis RBI Single

Salt Lake tied the game at 1-1 in the next frame with an unearned run against Thornburg. Ryan Langerhans reached on a two-out error from first baseman Sean Halton and then came around to score on a couple of singles.

Nashville went back ahead at 2-1 in the bottom of the fifth. Halton crushed his third triple of the season and scored two batters later during a safety squeeze by second Edwin Maysonet.

· AUDIO: Halton Scores On Safety Squeeze

Reliever Juan Perez gave up a solo homer to Ed Lucas in the top of the seventh to tie the game at 2-2. The homer was Lucas' ninth of the season.

The Sounds rebounded to score two more runs in the next frame for a 4-2 lead. Salt Lake starter Brad Mills walked outfielder Logan Schafer to begin the inning and gave up a double to catcher Humberto Quintero. Maysonet then smacked a double down the left field line to score both runners and remove Mills from the contest.

· AUDIO: Maysonet RBI Double

Salt Lake came back to tie the game at 4-4 in next frame. Perez walked leadoff hitter Andrew Romine before giving up a double to Calhoun and being replaced with reliever Fautino De Los Santos. Two consecutive singles by Luis Jimenez and Navarro brought the game to another tie.

Nashville threatened in the eleventh as Halton doubled to center with one out in the frame. Schafer then blooped a single that was close to being caught by the second baseman, which caused Halton to remain on second base. Reliever Ryan Brasier (7-2) entered the contest to get the next two outs to end the jam and get the win.

The Sounds stranded the tying run on third base in the 12th inning as Green grounded out to second to end the contest. Davis previously worked a two-out walk and moved to third on a Jordan Brown single.

Perez gave up three runs on two hits in a blown save in two innings. De Los Santos also blew a save, allowing both inherited runners to score in his two scoreless frames.

Rob Wooten (0-2) pitched two scoreless innings before giving up a run in the 12th inning for the loss. Amaury Rivas ended the game with 2/3 of an inning.

Mills surrendered four runs on seven hits in six innings for a no-decision. Jordan Walden struck out one in scoreless inning in his second rehab appearance for the Angels.

Nashville committed its first error in the last eight games, snapping a season-best errorless streak. Both Sounds' double plays were initiated by the catcher.

The Sounds continue their homestand tomorrow by welcoming the Tacoma Rainers (AAA-Mariners) to town for the teams' lone series of 2012. Right-hander Hiram Burgos (0-1, 4.96) takes the mound for the Sounds in the series opener against Tacoma left-hander Danny Hultzen (1-2, 5.23).

Nashville Box Score

Rob Wooten had only gone more than 2 innings twice all season, tough duty for him. Tim Dillard hasn't pitched in 6 days including today's game, I thought it was odd that they tried to push Wooten a 3rd inning.

Mitch Stetter is on the DL with back spasms and would have missed this game for the birth of his son, Corey Patterson is also away from the team for the birth of his first child so with the Bianchi promotion the Sounds were short handed from a position player perspective in this long contest.

It would be nice if they'd let Tyler Thornburg go past 80 pitches in his next start, he breezed threw the 5th and could have pitched the 6th, not that the outcome would have been different... All of this probably tied to his "dead arm syndrome" he developed pitching out of the bullpen too many days in a row in Milwaukee, what a wonderful decision that was.

Nashville Play By Play

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nomadic Thornburg dealing for Sounds

Righty allows one run in five innings in third start back in PCL

By Jonathan Raymond / Special to MLB.com

It's a little easier for Tyler Thornburg to adjust to facing Pacific Coast League hitters after spending some of the season with parent club Milwaukee. After all, he's faced enough Major Leaguers to know what he's up against.

The Triple-A Nashville right-hander, making his third start since coming back down from the Brewers, allowed one unearned run on six hits over five innings Monday. He struck out five and didn't issue a walk, but didn't factor into the decision after the Sounds fell to the Salt Lake Bees in 12 innings, 5-4.

The Brewers' No. 5 prospect has gotten an extended taste of big league life this season, making his debut in a spot start June 19 and then spending much of July with the team, mostly coming out of the bullpen.

"The main difference is when you're throwing to Triple-A guys, there's one or two in the lineup that you really make sure to go over the scouting report well for, cause they're gonna be big league hitters," he said. "In the bigs, obviously, they're all big league hitters, so you have to bear down on every single pitch to every single guy."

It's been quite the ride for the 2010 third-rounder this year. MLB.com's No. 98 prospect pitched for Double-A Huntsville until early June, going 8-1 with a 3.00 ERA, striking out 71 and walking 24, over 75 innings

Then he skipped Triple-A to make his Major League debut June 19, allowing five runs in 5 1/3 innings against Toronto. After that, he made one start for the Sounds, a July 4 victory over Memphis, before heading back to Milwaukee.

He made four appearances, including one start, with the Brewers, amassing a 4.16 ERA over 8 2/3 innings. All told, he has posted a 5.79 ERA with 12 strikeouts and seven walks in 14 frames for the parent club.

Tyler Thornburg is 1-0 with a 1.80 ERA in four starts for the Sounds. (Allison Rhoades/MiLB.com)

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/08/14/gOWb9cru.jpg

Archived