Brewer Fanatic

Padres Extend Mark Kotsay

Funketown

[sarcasm]I was hoping we'd get him back next season, clearly this team wasn't the same without his veteran presence.[/sarcasm]

But seriously, this may be one of the more pointless moves in recent memory. It's not like other teams were waiting for the season to end so they could swoop in and steal Mark Kotsay.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/padres-to-extend-mark-kotsay.html

Kotsay's a California guy. This is probably just as much about him wanting to be there as it is them wanting him.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I don't think this is a stellar move, but I don't hate it either. Either way, it's hardly a stupid move.

If you know who you want as your "veteran/role player" guy for the next year, and he's already a guy on your roster, and he wants to return as well, you might as well lock him up rather than chase late-winter leftovers. I'd rather lock in with a known commodity like Kotsay -- just as the Brewers often did with Counsell, though for what reason in most of those years remains a greater mystery to me than Kotsay -- than be left to pick from different versions of Cesar Izturis (except the OF equivalents).

So what if Kotsay's OPS is around or just over .700? Kotsay's more of a "good AB, good contact" guy. Besides, what reserve/PH non-big-time power hitters routinely have a >.800 OPS? If you've got someone like that, you're probably either a) watching George Kottaras hit in April, or b) finding ways to make that guy a starter.

So what if Kotsay's OPS is around or just over .700? Kotsay's more of a "good AB, good contact" guy.

You have a good AB by not making outs and/or hitting for power (unless they are paying him 7 figures to sacrifice). Kotsay does neither well anymore. He's a .315/.360 guy these days. That is bad even for a back up outfielder.

Archived