Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2012/2013

patrickgpe

The problem is...what stud SG is really going to want to come to Milwaukee? If he's that good, he'll have offers from other teams for the exact same amount. That's part of the problem in the NBA, you reach a point where if the player gets a max deal or close to it, the money is the same and there is nothing to entice someone to come to Milwaukee. Also, checking out the FA SG's next year...it's a pretty weak area. You can find it here. Who would you throw money at from this list?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents/

You're right, and I made the same point earlier in the thread. And I probably should have said "better" than "stud", and was referring as much to acquiring one via trade as FA. OKC just dumped Harden for a good player but expiring contract in Kevin Martin plus two first round draft picks because OKC couldn't afford to keep him, Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka. Houston got him because they had the ability to pick up salary.

To answer your question, if they can't trade for a top-tier SG then I'd look at O.J. Mayo who is likely to opt out of the last year of his contract. He's significantly improved his shooting and 3-pt % this year and will only be 26; he might be the type of guy who won't command a max contract and might prefer to play with Jennings/Sanders/Henson instead of Nowitzke/Marion/Carter and a rebuilding Mavs team no matter how much money Cuban throws at him. If he takes the money, then I bring back Dunleavy and add a top defensive 2-guard who can keep other top shooting guards in check.

Two things will bring good players to Milwaukee - having the ability to pick up salary via a trade, and having young, exciting, up-tempo players in Jennings, Sanders, Henson, etc., that other players want to play with. Jennings may not be one of the 5 best PGs in the league, but he's the type of player that other younger players will want to play with because of his style of play.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems to me all the negative comments made about the Bucks can be made about the Brewers. So if you really just don't like/enjoy the Bucks or the NBA that much, that's fine. But the Bucks are in the same boat as the Brewers, and have basically hade the ame level of success/failure as the Brewers over the last 20 years.

The difference is, the Brewers are moving forward, they have a good GM, a good owner, and show some semblance of an idea of how to win in Milwaukee. The Bucks have had 1 playoff series win in 25 years, when the majority of the teams make the playoffs every year. They also traded away the single best player they've had, for a washed up 35 year old point guard.

The Bucks just resigned a GM who went with Monta Ellis instead of Steph Curry, decided to drop down 10 spots in the draft to get Stephen Jackson, didn't get rid of Michael Redd for expiring deals (or move his expiring deal for anything of value), traded expiring deals to get Corey Magette.

But I think Jennings is better than what he's given credit for.

It's been 4 years, he still can't run the pick-n-roll or dribble into the lane with his right hand. I don't think he deserves any credit.

The Bucks won 2 playoff series in 2001. (Plus, if you go back far enough, another one 24 years ago in 1989).

Overall, the Bucks have a far richer tradition than the Brewers, and yet Milwaukee built a stadium for the Brewers back in the late 90's/early 2000's, when the Brewers were in a position close to where the Bucks are now. Yet even with the added tradition the Bucks have, including winning division titles in 12 of 16 straight years in the 70's and 80's, I don't think Milwaukee is going to build a new arena for the Bucks. Which I'm not necessarily against, but I don't think there's any arguing that Milwaukee as a whole has more hostile feelings toward the Bucks than the Brewers even when looking at a more comparable time period.

I just don't get all the hate on the Bucks, while most are still on the Badger basketball bandwagon. Frankly, neither has any realistic shot at winning a championship. Vegas has both at about the same odds.

That is one good thing about the Bucks this year, Vegas was also low on the Bucks so as long as they get 15 more wins this year I will be heading back to Vegas ahead a few hundred dollars.

To answer the question about the hate the Bucks get. I don't hate the Bucks, I just don't really care about the Bucks which probably worse. The Bucks should hope and expect people like me are interested in them and be very concerned when potential fans that fall into the holy grail of stereotypes are apathetic towards them. I love sports, have high disposable income, spend lots of money on sports, watch lots of sports and yet have little to no interest in the Bucks. Why?

As a kid in the 80'sI watched the Bucks and I watched the NBA. I can even remember listening to Bucks games on the radio in the car with my Dad. Even in college during the 90's I watched the NBA with Jordan even though the Bucks weren't good. Along the way my interest in the NBA in general waned. Looking back on it my opinion of the league fell as the league seemed to be more about marketing and hype and the games took on some poor aspects with terrible officiating, especially in the playoffs. The Bucks being terrible hasn't helped draw me back in. I view the Bucks as a lost franchise, hoping to compete for the last playoff spot in a league where half the teams make the playoffs isn't interesting. The team has drifted aimlessly for years, seemingly treading water and trading one group of ok players for another group of OK players every year. As a casual fan I look at the Bucks every year and laugh when the inevitable rearrange of the deck chairs on the Titanic occurs. Jennings is the first young player since Big Dog that has had any star appeal and he isn't even a star in NBA terms. I look at their roster and offseason moves and wonder are they just trying to see how many front court players than can assemble? Then the coach gets fired early in the season but the GM gets an extension? The same GM whom I read was probably on the hot seat for having no discernible plan? I realize Sen. Kohl may not be the best owner and nowadays getting any talent to come to Milwaukee or any city not named, NY, Boston, Miami, LA, Chicago, Dallas is a challenge but that again plays into why the NBA just doesn't interest me as much. The league looks to rigged to reward just a few teams.

The Brewers were terrible for a long time too but I still enjoyed baseball, the Brewers as a team usually at least had a guy or two that stuck around for a few years and were fun to watch. Eventually with Taylor then Melvin (and new owners) a legitimate plan was formulated and followed, I could see that the team was getting better from the ground up. There really isn't a minor league system to get too excited about in the NBA but I don't have any idea what the plan is for the Bucks to improve beyond just being some team that isn't the worst in the league but also is no better than mediocre which is boring.

My expectation for the team is to make some sort of trade at the end of the year that doesn't really improve the team but moves some guys around, flirt with the playoffs, maybe get in maybe not, lose right away if they do. Sign some mid level talent and make some draft moves that leave people wondering what is going on and go into next year with the same, "Hey we aren't worst team in the league!" motto. I'll scan a few articles about them, but won't buy a ticket, a shirt, and generally won't care if they stay or go, which isn't a good place for a sports franchise to be in. They don't seem real concerned about the apathy towards their team which isn't helping the situation and leads me to believe that if Kohl ever sells the team it won't be in Milwaukee for long.

As a kid in the 80'sI watched the Bucks and I watched the NBA. I can even remember listening to Bucks games on the radio in the car with my Dad. Even in college during the 90's I watched the NBA with Jordan even though the Bucks weren't good. Along the way my interest in the NBA in general waned.

I can definitely see where you are coming from and I think that you are in the same boat with a lot of guys from their late 30's to the 50's in this state. It may seem hard to believe these days, but there was a stretch in the 70's and well into the 80's where the Bucks were very popular statewide. Obviously, the losing hasn't helped, but I think that the surge in popularity of the NCAA (more specifically the Badgers) has also played a huge role. During the 70's/80's Badger basketball was pretty much a train wreck year in, year out. They didn't really have a good/exciting team until about '93, which was about when that of the Bucks seemed to start dipping. Though I personally think Badger basketball has been about as exciting to watch as paint dry since Dick Bennett took over, I can't deny that this is definitely a college basketball state now

As for Kohl, I really think that he has put forth an effort to win, but he made two fatal flaws. The first was butting heads with Nelson, and the second was letting George Karl basically act like an inmate running the asylum during the last few years he was here.

I couldn't care less whether Jennings makes the all star team, but there has been a ton of buzz about him and other snubs. Say what you want about the NBA, but they do generate a good deal of interest in their all star game...they are a distant third in the big three pro sports, but may have the most talked about ASG- even though the Slam Dunk contest has stunk for roughly 20 years.

I think in general I like the all star games in this order.

MLB

NBA

NFL

Just the nature of baseball forces players to play like a normal game for the most part. Yeah you can lolly gag on the basepaths but you can't just turn off the skill associated with hitting and pitching. PLus the whole world series home field thing. NBA is OK; it seems the rosters are small enough that there really are legitimate snubs every year; especially since the fans vote in some pretty pathetic starting lineups every year. The Pro Bowl is just time wasting TV until the Super Bowl is on the next week. I didn't watch it at all this year.

As for Jennings making it; I highly doubt it. Stern is going to go with Lopez from Brooklyn; the more big market stars the better.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think in general I like the all star games in this order.

MLB

NBA

NFL

/quote]

I agree but would put it like this:

MLB

NBA

NFL

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I can't really watch any all-star game for more than a few minutes. It's a lot of players from teams I don't like playing with a couple of guys on a team I do like.

I do love skills competitions though. The NFL should add that. Have Rodgers, Brees, Manning etc. try to throw a ball through a hoop 50 yards away or something.

Well they're on the verge of blowing it. They just stopped scoring the last 6-8 minutes it seemed. Missed shots and what seemed like about 10 turnovers....many of which were just not forced. Just careless play. Yet another game that probably should have been a win but they found a way to lose it.

Outscored by about 15 in the 4th quarter. Got what they deserved. Wasted the effort by Dalembert too.

wow, to be off by a second or so is one thing, but that was horrible. the 15' closer he could have gotten would have increased the chance of that shot significantly.

still, i'd rather see the $10M go to a young and exciting player than yet another retread veteran.

If we wouldn't have burned our last timeout with over 40 seconds left that situation never happens in the first place... both teams were out of timeouts with over 40 seconds left, which to me is inexcusable in the NBA. The big advantage with timeouts in the NBA is the ability to move the ball up to about where Jennings launched it from. I don't see the point in calling timeout to set up a play with 40 seconds left when there's a good chance you'll need it after that.

Craigslist, because Stubhub charges a whole bunch of fees on top of the ticket price. And you may or may not get a hard ticket via Stubhub in case you want to keep it as a souvenir. Craigslist is a bit more of a risk as the ticket could be counterfeit, but that is unlikely at this point with Bucks tickets and if you pay with cash through PayPal then PayPal will insure your purchase. If you are looking to sit in a specific part of the arena, especially premium seats, Stubhub is easier to find those seats.

Craigslist also lets you select "tickets by owner" so you can filter out all of the spamming and repeated posts by ticket brokers.

Archived