Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2012/2013

patrickgpe

Funny, the Bucks wanted him to go WITHOUT surgery.

My gosh. I would want nothing to do with their medical staff if I were injured.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get the feeling that Bogut would be totally OK with never playing again. I guess that it was a smart move for him to 'come clean' at this point as it takes the heat off him and puts it onto the front office/medical staff... he hasn't been around long enough for the Golden State fans to throw their hands up in frustration. Now I'm not downplaying the severity of his injury, but Ray Lewis he is not.

Anyone else rather impressed with how Sanders has played so far? He doesn't look like he is going to be a superstar but he looks as though he can be a very solid piece at least defensively. I am not sold on him being able to score enough to be an everyday player but he is a very good 6th man. I love his defense and rebounding so far.

Ellis has one very important NBA skill - the ability to create his own shot. That's the difference between a starter and a marginal bench player. Look at a guy like Steve Novak - lights out shooter and scorer in college, but a bench player in the pros. A couple of years ago I happened to be in a bar after a Clippers game and a couple of the Clippers assistant coaches walked in. I talked with them briefly and brought up Novak because they had recently acquired him, and one of the coaches said right away that he "can't create his own shot". Ellis has the athleticism to though. Half the battle is getting an open look just to have a shot; otherwise you just end up heaving up a bad shot with one second left on the shot clock, and those don't go in either.

Ellis' shooting % from both 2 and 3 are well below his career norms; yet he is scoring because when you can create your own shot you often get fouled, and Ellis' free throw % this year is well above his career norm. If he can get his shooting % up to his career average he will be a very valuable player.

I think that Ellis will be fine. He's in a funk right now, but I think that his shot will come around. He does turnover the ball more than you'd like, and the d is suspect, but the bottom line is that the Bucks need a scorer, especially with the defensive oriented rotation that they play down low. Ellis is the type of guy that can heat up for a few weeks and carry the team. Worst case, he continues playing worse than expected and then walks. No matter what, the Bucks still robbed the Warriors in that deal, because they aren't saddled with Bogut. Udoh is a good piece, too.

The Warriors got Barnes out of that deal too. That alone tips the deal in the W's favor. I don't think some of you guys are grasping how bad Monta has been as a Buck. At best, we were getting a net neutral player in that deal. He's been much worse than that though.

I like Udoh a lot but he was completely exposed by Robin Lopez tonight. He's a good 20-25 mpg bench big. Could probably fetch a 1st round pick from a contender.

Also, I'm now at the point I have been for about 4 out of the last 5 years with this team: hoping for losses. We need a stud player. Brandon Jennings is not that guy. He's an avg starting pg at best.

• 2 weeks later...
Man that Ellis guy sure sucked tonight ;)

Yep, his 48 TS% on the year is just phenomenal.

Comparing that to the guy they turned down in the trade (Curry), who's shooting a well above average 56 TS%.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Where is the story that they turned down a Curry trade, how would the numbers even work with a Curry trade last year. The trade last year was still a good trade as they got rid of the contracts and roster space of Jackson/Bogut and in return got a decent guard and decent backup PF/C. Really reaching to criticize that trade.

http://blog.sfgate.com/warriors/2012/03/16/gs-warriors-owner-joe-lacob-talks-steph-curry/

And yes, it was a horrible trade.

Ellis is not a good player, and they could have just amnestied Jackson and told him to go home.

Using your single best trade asset and not getting younger or getting any draft picks is just an amazingly stupid thing to do.

http://blog.sfgate.com/warriors/2012/03/16/gs-warriors-owner-joe-lacob-talks-steph-curry/

Ellis is not a good player, and they could have just amnestied Jackson and told him to go home.

Using your single best trade asset and not getting younger or getting any draft picks is just an amazingly stupid thing to do.

I strongly disagree, if for no other reason than the fact Bogut is toast. We can sit around and debate who the Bucks may have been able to get for him, but the bottom line is that had they not pulled the trigger on a deal when they did, they would have been stuck paying Bogut to sit at home. At least Ellis is playing, he hasn't been that great this year, but he's not a bad player. I don't follow the 'advanced' basketball stats, but I'm guessing that based on some fan trade proposals that I've seen, that they have him ranked lower than JJ Reddick. I'll let that speak for itself.

Baldkin, you are neglecting the impact that injury history has on the value of a player. In the NBA, where you only have 15 roster spots per team and no real minor league to stash/develop talent, an injury that sidelines a player for a significant period of time has a much bigger impact than football where you have a 53-man roster or baseball where you can reach down to the minors and replace a guy. Bogut's injury history significantly decreased his trade value, much more than you think.

While the article says that GS would have traded either Curry or Ellis, it doesn't say that they were interchangeable in the deal. The Bucks might of had to give up more in order to get Curry.

Baldkin, you are neglecting the impact that injury history has on the value of a player. In the NBA, where you only have 15 roster spots per team and no real minor league to stash/develop talent, an injury that sidelines a player for a significant period of time has a much bigger impact than football where you have a 53-man roster or baseball where you can reach down to the minors and replace a guy. Bogut's injury history significantly decreased his trade value, much more than you think.

While the article says that GS would have traded either Curry or Ellis, it doesn't say that they were interchangeable in the deal. The Bucks might of had to give up more in order to get Curry.

When you can trade 17 nickles for a dollar, you do that every time in the NBA. Curry was the dollar. He would've immediately become the best player the Bucks have had since Allen was stupidly traded away. Ellis isn't anywhere close to that. He scores because he shoots a lot, he turns the ball over too much, and he is downright awful on defense.

If Bogut's trade value was diminished, fine. We managed to dump Stephen Jackson's salary and got an expiring contract and still managed to get Ellis (and Udoh) back.

Again, they could've gotten Curry.

No, it was basically the same deal. The Bucks were once again stupid and didn't want Curry because his ankle was hurt and he couldn't help them reach their coveted 8th seed.

You still have to pay Jackson, an amnesty does not save you any money, by trading him they saved $10 million. Bogut is not a good trade piece and is damaged goods at this point, they did a good job of trading him when they did and yes it turned out to be a good trade.

Did the last CBA do away with signing players to 10-day contracts? The Bucks could really use another PG right now. With Udrih out Ellis and Jennings have been playing a lot of minutes lately, and I'm wondering if that is impacting their shooting %.

Unfortunately it is too early in the season for trades, as there are only 7 teams that really have no shot at the playoffs at this point and five of them are in the East. In a perfect world, one of them would have a veteran backup PG making around $7M that they could swap Gooden or Dalembert plus a 2nd round pick for, but I looked at the rosters and don't see one. With Przybilla having a relatively modest salary, I don't know why he hasn't been dropped to add another guard. At the least, a handshake agreement with him to bring him back once Udrih is ready to go.

Like what I'm seeing from Sanders. I said last year his upside was a Marcus Camby type - not a scorer, but a guy who can give you 10 points, 10 boards, and 2/3 blocks a game and he's almost there. People criticized drafting him but you could argue that Gervais Vasquez was the only guy picked after him that year that is as good of a player.

I'm happy to admit that it looks like I was wrong on Sanders. He looks like a completely different guy out there this year and is developing a bit of a mean streak.

I believe Sanders will develop into a very nice 6th man or a defensive big man. I believe the best comparison to him would be Zach Randolph.

I'm happy to admit that it looks like I was wrong on Sanders. He looks like a completely different guy out there this year and is developing a bit of a mean streak.

I believe Sanders will develop into a very nice 6th man or a defensive big man. I believe the best comparison to him would be Zach Randolph.

Not much at all like Randolph. ZR has a very polished post game and great touch on his shot. Plus Sanders has a completely different body type...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Screw it, I'm back on the bandwagon. Go Bucks!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

this team is fun to watch, i have been complaining for years that this team played no interior defense. now they have a bunch of guys that can rotate in and out and defend the paint. the last fews years it was bogut (if healthy) and thats about it. i was worried about their outside shooting but dunleavy as really made the loss of delfino moot.

Archived