Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2012/2013

patrickgpe

Problem is, unlike Mark A., Herb Kohl has no clue about what this team should be doing. They keep sending mixes signals about whther they're tanking this season or honestly tryint to capture the 8 spot in the playoffs again next year. I'm really hoping they are floating these offers to JR Smith, Korver, etc. so it looks like they tried.

As I said before, I am actually optimistic about the future if they would tank this year. Great pick next year, maybe even the #1 pick. A ton of cap space and even more if they wait until next year to unload Gooden's contract. Sure, they may have to over-pay to get good FAs to come here, but that's ok. If you recall, that's how the PAckers were reborn. Overpaid Reggie White, and the rest is history.

That's where the Bucks are. But they need to start from the bottom, add young top tier talent through the draft, and then over=pay for an impact FA. I was leery of this plan in the past becasue I wasn't sure the franchise could survive a horrible year. But the more i think about it, it's really the only plan that can work. And this franchise is dying otherwise anyhow.

No matter how bad it gets next year, imagine the marketing dept promoting Wiggins/Parker, the kid from Greece, Sanders, Jennings... at least that creates a lot of excitemnet for the first time in a long time.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree 100%. They need to start at the bottom, they just refuse. They make baffling moves to improve the team just enough to barely make the playoffs or screw themselves in the lottery. We've been there for 10 years now. They have no direction and that falls on Kohl. If Hammonds had any stones at all (or brains too), he'd flat out tell Kohl that we need to suffer for a year or two to improve (see Seattle/OKC). Next years draft is loaded. Say we got Wiggens, and Giannis pans out, along with Sander and Henson...couple years of experience and you're really on to something.

I know they have to fill out rosters, but why bother with Korver and Smith? Just get some vets that will come here for cheap and bide your time. It's just a complete joke of a GM and front office IMO. This upcoming draft is the best chance they'll have in a long time to get a true impact player and they're blowing that shot so they can win 35-40 games next season in a best case scenario.

Actually, I don't know why I thought Caron was a shooter. 15 ppg average. Just a guy. But, hey, he's from Wisconsin!! Well done Bucks.

Based on your last couple of posts just wanted to let you know the Bucks didn't actually get a player in return, Butler is going to the Suns.

Wow. That's even worse. I follow the Spurs much more closely, but since I grew up as a Bucks fan, I still somewhat follow. Obviously not close enough.

I'm not 100% opposed to Korver as the contract would be fair market value. So, he could be traded (for another 2nd-round pick!) if he plays well. Also, Korever would stop us from doing anything with JR. That is a good thing.

If I'm correct on this, the Bucks to have to spend some $ to get to 90% of the cap. As I understand, there is a floor on payroll.

I'd hope that Korver would come off the bench.

I'm not 100% opposed to Korver as the contract would be fair market value. So, he could be traded (for another 2nd-round pick!) if he plays well. Also, Korever would stop us from doing anything with JR. That is a good thing.

If I'm correct on this, the Bucks to have to spend some $ to get to 90% of the cap. As I understand, there is a floor on payroll.

I'd hope that Korver would come off the bench.

So now its OJ Mayo? Apparently the Bucks are interested in every single guard on the market. My understanding of Mayo is he is basically a larger version of Ellis. Altough he probably shoots it a little bit better.

Not sure what to think of the deal, I am sure it is for to much and for to long. Team will still have trouble scoring. Not sure if this rules out Korver or Smith. Probably still a bad team but probably not Top #5 pick bad.

JR Smith is going back to the Knicks. Best news of free agency. I am so happy that guy is becoming a Buck. Korver signs with the Hawks. Looks like we might be forced to not overpay someone this year. If only someone would sign Jennings and Mayo we would be in great shape! Actually I would be okay getting Mayo at the right price.

JR Smith is going back to the Knicks. Best news of free agency. I am so happy that guy is becoming a Buck. Korver signs with the Hawks. Looks like we might be forced to not overpay someone this year. If only someone would sign Jennings and Mayo we would be in great shape! Actually I would be okay getting Mayo at the right price.

The problem is the Bucks have to sign someone to get at the minimum cap level which was 85% last year and may increase this year the 2010-2011 minimum cap level was 75% so it can increase. Last year the minimum cap was $49.337 million. Currently the Bucks are at $31,081,659 this is just with Jennings getting the qualifying offer and no other rookie contracts. The Bucks also have some inclusive taxes that they can add to their cap figure which puts it at $35,586,982 for the team which is still under the minimum cap level. The Bucks have to be at the minimum cap level by the end of next season. So the Bucks have to sign someone to get up to the minimum cap level or trade for someone that is an expiring contract and have them count towards their cap. Either way the Bucks are going to have to give someone a lot of money or they are going to have to trade for someone who is being paid a lot.

The problem is the Bucks have to sign someone to get at the minimum cap level which was 85% last year and may increase this year the 2010-2011 minimum cap level was 75% so it can increase. Last year the minimum cap was $49.337 million. Currently the Bucks are at $31,081,659 this is just with Jennings getting the qualifying offer and no other rookie contracts. The Bucks also have some inclusive taxes that they can add to their cap figure which puts it at $35,586,982 for the team which is still under the minimum cap level. The Bucks have to be at the minimum cap level by the end of next season. So the Bucks have to sign someone to get up to the minimum cap level or trade for someone that is an expiring contract and have them count towards their cap. Either way the Bucks are going to have to give someone a lot of money or they are going to have to trade for someone who is being paid a lot.

Nope, technically, they don't have to do anything. If they aren't at the minimum cap number, the excess below that simply gets divided amongst those currently signed on the team. Now, mind you, they only have about 8 guys signed right now, so it may be good to get a few more bodies... I have no doubt that our GM, instead of overpaying on a short term deal, will manage to over pay some bad veterans on long term deals.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q15

The team payroll is not the same thing as the team salary. The team salary refers to the sum of the amounts applied to team salary, including each player's full salary (see question number 14 for a full list). The team payroll refers to the monies actually paid. For example, if a team trades a player midway through the season his salary comes off the team salary, but the money actually paid while he was a member of the team counts toward the team payroll. The team payroll also includes salaries charged to teams for players waived through the Amnesty provision (see question number 67).

If a team doesn't meet its minimum payroll it is surcharged at the end of the season for the shortfall. That money is distributed among the players on that team.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Nope, technically, they don't have to do anything. If they aren't at the minimum cap number, the excess below that simply gets divided amongst those currently signed on the team. Now, mind you, they only have about 8 guys signed right now, so it may be good to get a few more bodies... I have no doubt that our GM, instead of overpaying on a short term deal, will manage to over pay some bad veterans on long term deals.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q15

The team payroll is not the same thing as the team salary. The team salary refers to the sum of the amounts applied to team salary, including each player's full salary (see question number 14 for a full list). The team payroll refers to the monies actually paid. For example, if a team trades a player midway through the season his salary comes off the team salary, but the money actually paid while he was a member of the team counts toward the team payroll. The team payroll also includes salaries charged to teams for players waived through the Amnesty provision (see question number 67).

If a team doesn't meet its minimum payroll it is surcharged at the end of the season for the shortfall. That money is distributed among the players on that team.

OK I give up on trying to understand the NBA CBA.

*EDIT*

It looks as though Mayo is going to sign with the Bucks and this really wouldn't matter as his signing and a Jennings extension would put the team around the actual cap anyways and will probably get something around $8-9m a year.

Nope, technically, they don't have to do anything. If they aren't at the minimum cap number, the excess below that simply gets divided amongst those currently signed on the team.

This actually seems like a cool idea.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Reasonable.

Yep, shocked it wasn't 4/40. Another signing that isn't really tradeable, and isn't really going to provide anything above mediocre performance.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'd have been more excited about bringing Mayo in 5 years ago, but the deal doesn't look too bad. I'd definitely rather have him than Redick. Ellis is a tossup if he played to his career norms, but Mayo should be better than Ellis was last year for less money.

Mayo is decent and I guess someone has to play guard but the move seems odd to me. Just helps continue the mediocrity in a year when being terrible should be the goal. Can't wait to see how badly we overpay Jennings now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Mayo is decent and I guess someone has to play guard but the move seems odd to me. Just helps continue the mediocrity in a year when being terrible should be the goal. Can't wait to see how badly we overpay Jennings now.

There's absolutely nothing odd about this. This is Kohl/Hammond's MO. Chase .500, get the 8 seed, and keep just enough fans coming out to pay the bills. They won't tank a season as long as Kohl owns the Bucks. It just won't happen.

Yep. You're exactly right. It's odd to anyone with half a brain that realizes being mediocre for ten years sucks. For the bucks management...they probably popped some champaign and high fived thinking they have a real shot to win 35 games next season with mayo.

O.J. Mayo to the Bucks. 3 years 24 million

the probably paid 1-2 million more a year to get him to milwaukee but i am happy that its only 3 years. maybe a little undersized as a 2 and he is a little streaky but he is only 25. overall a solid signing. wonder how much todd had to do with him coming here?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Zaza is back!

3 years, $15 million

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Because we don't have enough big guys, including two going promising ones. How are we going to have enough minutes for all these guys?

I've been critical of the bucks and for good reason because they need to tank...but this roster is stil pretty bad. Not top five pick bad but I don't see a playoff team here, even with Jennings.

Archived