Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2012/2013

patrickgpe

Ideally, any sign and trade would be for a draft pick, not a player. But that's probably wishful thinking. Next year would be a good one to gather as many ping pong balls as you can. Even beyond Wiggins the top of the draft board is supposed to be much better than this year.

I don't mind having Jennings back, now that it is a more reasonable salary. I don't want them to improve the team this year beyond that. In fact, trading Sova for a draft pick next year would be nice. Let Jennings, Sanders, and Henson continue to develop, then add what hopefully is a great player in the draft next year. Add another guy in the draft that could play a role, and you still have a ton of cash to attract a top shelf FA. I would actually be excited about the future if they followed that plan.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even though I think Bledsoe will have a difficult time living up to the hype, I would gladly do a sign/trade with the Clippers for him. Not sure why the Clippers would do this for Redick though. I'd be happy if they just let Redick walk, so getting a player with upside on a short term deal would be a bonus. That said, my guess is that anyone coming back on a sign and trade deal for Redick will be a veteran with a longer term deal.

If they do a sign and trade wouldn't they have to match salaries though? Looking at their roster if they send Bledsoe they would have to send another guy then because Bledsoe makes about 2.9 million.

I heard potentially Caron Butler (1 year, 8 million left I believe) would be thrown in along with Bledsoe.

These are the types of moves I HATE from the Bucks. Bledsoe is actually a decent player, but he's not likely to sign here after next season. So it's basically a move that makes them somewhat better next year (when they should be tanking) and doesn't do much for the future. They need to acquire draft picks or a young guy that's a year or two away or something.

If they resign Bledsoe, that's different but I don't see that happening. Our only shot to really improve is through the draft, and next years draft is loaded...hence why teams are mailing it in (see Boston), why aren't we smart enough to realize that?

I heard potentially Caron Butler (1 year, 8 million left I believe) would be thrown in along with Bledsoe.

These are the types of moves I HATE from the Bucks. Bledsoe is actually a decent player, but he's not likely to sign here after next season. So it's basically a move that makes them somewhat better next year (when they should be tanking) and doesn't do much for the future. They need to acquire draft picks or a young guy that's a year or two away or something.

If they resign Bledsoe, that's different but I don't see that happening. Our only shot to really improve is through the draft, and next years draft is loaded...hence why teams are mailing it in (see Boston), why aren't we smart enough to realize that?

Other teams are smart enough to know next years draft is loaded so they are not willing to give up picks. Just look at how few 2015 1st rounders were traded in the draft this year. Now you can argue about the Bucks needing to mail it in but teams dont often just throw an entire season. A Bledsoe and Butler trade would be pretty solid. Bledsoe is a RFA after next season so we could sign and trade him as well. Butler is an expiring contract and someone we could maybe trade right after we get him. I dont like getting Butler and I really dont like he is a SF since we always have 10 of them on our roster. If we could get Bledsoe and flip Butler for another guard I would be happy.

Obviously if a team is willing to give up 1st round picks for some of these guys who should take it but it just doesnt sound like teams are will to do that

But if you are a team that is expecting to contend next year you shouldn't really care about trading a 2014 draft pick. Yeah the Top 5-10 next year look really strong but if you are going to be drafting in the 20's they shouldn't care how good the draft is. There are good players on bad teams that are ripe for the picking and the good teams know that.

It isn't like Bledsoe is going to team up with Jennings and somehow make the team drastically better than the Jennings/Ellis combination from last year. The Bucks can still be plenty bad next year with him. I would do that deal if I were the Bucks but bringing Butler along with Bledsoe is a little less appealing. They don't need any more dead weight on the roster. Gooden already fills that role

No one is giving up their 2014 picks. Even the pick Philly got for Holiday is Top 5 protected. Hard to tank when your fan base won't support it. I'm guessing Boston has some bigger margins to work with, and can tank a season or two. Milwaukee doesn't really have that luxury. If they tank, I think they'll wind up in Seattle.

The fan base is basically non-existant now. They haven't won a playoff series in over a decade. It's not like winning only 20 games instead of 38 is going to suddenly make everyone hate the Bucks.

No matter what they do, they won't contend next year or the year after. The only shot they have is to win, and IMO, the only shot for that is to be awful for a year or two and hit on the lottery picks.

Getting Butler sucks, but he only has 1 year left on his deal anyways. And maybe they can turn around and flip him for a guard with a similar 1 year deal. From what I gather, the Clippers prefer OJ Mayo to Redick though.

No one is giving up their 2014 picks. Even the pick Philly got for Holiday is Top 5 protected. Hard to tank when your fan base won't support it. I'm guessing Boston has some bigger margins to work with, and can tank a season or two. Milwaukee doesn't really have that luxury. If they tank, I think they'll wind up in Seattle.

+1. While the Bucks dont have a strong fanbase it is better than a non-existent one. I know the difference doesnt seem like much but they would be battling the Kings for worst attendance in basketball if they choose to tank. I want them to tank, but they have to tank without looking like that is what they are trying to do

+1. While the Bucks dont have a strong fanbase it is better than a non-existent one. I know the difference doesnt seem like much but they would be battling the Kings for worst attendance in basketball if they choose to tank. I want them to tank, but they have to tank without looking like that is what they are trying to do

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"The Los Angeles Clippers, Phoenix Suns and Milwaukee Bucks have reached agreement on a three-team trade that will send J.J. Redick and Jared Dudley to L.A., league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Suns will receive Clippers point guard Eric Bledsoe and forward Caron Butler while the Bucks – who facilitated the deal with a sign-and-trade of Redick – get two second-round draft picks, sources said.

Redick received a four-year, $27 million contract that includes a trade kicker, sources said.

Under new general manager Ryan McDonough, the Suns are moving swiftly in reshaping their roster, acquiring a center in Alex Len, the fifth overall pick in the NBA draft, and atalented, young point guard in Bledsoe.

Phoenix can't negotiate a contract extension with Bledsoe until after deal is finalized on July 10."

I sincerely hope there's another trade in the works involving these extra picks.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Well at least the Suns are terrible so that pick is essentially an end of the first round pick. And considering the Bucks will be terrible they should get a lottery pick and two picks at the top of the second round.

Just getting anything for Redick is probably an accomplishment. But turning Tobias Harris, Doron Lamb, and Beno Udrih into 2 2nd round pick entirely sucks. The LAC pick is going to be one of the last picks of the draft and the Suns should be much better this year with Bledsoe and Len.

When just viewing this transaction as is it is probably a good deal. But when evaluating Hammond overall it just completely stinks

I actually would not have cared too much if they got Butler. He expires at the end of the season and if he actually would have played decent, the Bucks could have flipped him before the deadline and gotten at least another pick. They might have accidentally won a few more games, but lottery odds wouldn't have been moved too much by that.

What a crazy league that NBA teams either have to be close to eliete level, or they are better off just to stink as much as possible.

Actually, I don't know why I thought Caron was a shooter. 15 ppg average. Just a guy. But, hey, he's from Wisconsin!! Well done Bucks.

Based on your last couple of posts just wanted to let you know the Bucks didn't actually get a player in return, Butler is going to the Suns.

I thought that Drew Gooden would be a likely choice to amnesty this year but based on the cap room and number of players the Bucks have they might not. I know every NBA has to reach a minimum level on the cap but not sure if Gooden would count toward the minimum if they amnestied him.

Ouch. Sad but True.

I view Tobias Harris somewhat the way I view Jake O and Brett L. I liked both of the Brewers trades better than the Bucks trade but we still traded away very young players with oodles of potential. Especially in the case of Harris it is going to hurt in a bad way if he somehow becomes an All Star. Nothing will ever top the Ray Allen giveaway for me but this trade would be right up their in horribleness.

EDIT: Fixed some typos

At least when the Brewers did it, it made sense. And we got back proven players that we controlled for a couple years. The Bucks traded for Redick with a team that had a ceiling of a 7 seed. And they dumped a first round pick that was 19 years old and they refused to play for no reason.

I can't fathom how Hammond still has a job. He clearly has no idea what he is doing and building a completely mediocre team is his strong suit.

what keeps sticking with me is how completely rudderless the Bucks are. it's like Hammonds has no real plan for the future of the team and is just doing what feels right in the moment. trade Harris for Reddick? ok, i guess the team is in "win-now" mode. then they select the biggest project player in the draft. i like the potential, but he won't be able to make any significant contribution to the team for a couple years yet. i think 90% of the problems the Bucks have is because they have no direction. it's like every move Hammonds makes contradicts the one before.

everything the Bucks do reminds me of the late Selig-era Brewers, who would field a garbage team and then every two years trot out some middling veteran FA like Jeffrey Hammonds or that expensive FA OF we got from Colorado, give it a ton of press and declare that this is the one piece of the puzzle we really need to make the team competitive again. it fools the common fan for a couple of months, but the person who pays attention knows that it doesn't make a bit of difference. unfortunately for the Bucks, i think the only way they're going to move from their current roster model is if they leave Milwaukee.

Did we really just offer 32 year old one trick pony Kyle Korver 20 Million over 3 years? Obviously the guy is a heck of a shooter and we need a SG but a signing like this seems unecessary given the Bucks current state. I hope he accepts an offer somewhere else.

Also heard they are still really hard after JR Smith.

Awfully confusing, based on the draft it seemed like MIL was prepared to tank, now they are showing interest in a couple fairly expensive shooting guards. I don't get it. Even if Korver or Smith sign they are still going to be worse than last year. Ellis/Redick/Dunleavy >>>>> Korver or Smith. Just find a cheap SG somewhere; I am sure there is someone that costs less than $20 Million

Archived