Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2012/2013

patrickgpe
The two names being linked are Stan Van Gundy and Kelvin Sampson. Both are good options which probably means the Bucks won't hire either. Herb won't let us have nice things.

Was Kelvin Sampson a sort of mentor/personal coach for Brandon Jennings during his rookie year? If so, could that signal that they might be thinking of resigning Jennings long term? Am I wrong for hoping not?

The carousel that is the Bucks roster, coaching staff, and front office continues.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I don't think the coach really matters. They could have had Phil Jackson this past year and still stunk.

Van Gundy or Sampson are probably better overall than Boylan but outside of rotations and end of game play calling I don't think NBA coaches contribute to much to wins and losses. Not saying just anyone can do it; but perhaps more than any other sport the game is decided by the players. The NFL takes a tremendous amount of coaching talent and MLB, especially in the NL, has a lot of coaching strategy as well.

Community Moderator

As long as Kohl/Hammond are calling the shots I don't think the coach really matters too much either.

Maybe a different coach would have recognized that Tobias Harris was the youngest player on the team and had considerable upside and in turn gave him some consistent minutes, but would that have stopped Hammond from trading him for a 3rd guard who was so essential to our quest for the 8 seed that he got a total of 68 minutes in 4 meaningless playoff games? Probably not.

i would hope the bucks look at mike malone or brian shaw. I think Sampson would be an excellent choice as well. Kohl has tried to hire new coached and retreads, offensive and defensive coaches, and really the only successful coach he has had is karl. I think bringing in someone like malone would be an excellent choice.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He's from Chicago. This is exactly like Dwyane Wade. "He'll leave the Heat to sign with the Bucks because he went to Marquette!"

His wife is from Wauwatosa.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Never say never. The Rivers situation is fairly similar to the Mike Dunleavy deal when they 'poached' him from the Lakers after Magic retired. All that said, I've got to think that the job is Sampson's if he wants it. I just don't see Van Gundy as a good fit for either party.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes and no. I think Sanders missed too many games/too much time late in the season, and ultimately lost the league lead in blocks to Ibaka. Had he been healthy and subsequently finished with the league lead in blocks, yes.

When is the last time that a Buck led the league in any positive statistical category?

While I do think that Sloan is a good coach and would give us some sort of credibility...he's 71. How long is he realistically going to coach? I don't want a guy to come in, coach 2-3 years and retire.

Sloan has everything but a title...why on earth would he come to Milwaukee in the twilight of his career? This roster is lightyears away from contending for a title.

This was pretty funny from CBS...

Could Sloan do that? Or would Sloan be unable to connect with a younger roster? It's a debate, but the Bucks are definitely looking for experience and intensity. We'll see how that sits with Jennings, who's likely more interested in a player's coach to let him, you know, do Brandon Jennings things.

Apples and oranges, but Jack McKeon connected with a young roster and took them to a World Series title. A bigger age gap is sometimes better, kind of like how many kids like their grandparents better than their parents. But the reality is that as long as star players can whine and orchestrate where they want to go (LeBron/Bosh, Paul, etc.) and as long as there are franchises in LA, Miami, and states with no income tax (TX, FL) the Bucks are unlikely to win anything.

Who are people liking in the draft? If he's still there, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope has ideal SG size, improved his shooting % significantly this year, and at 20 years old still has upside. If Reggie Bullock can play SG he is another guy who has improved each year and shot 43.6% from 3 last year. My sleeper is Erick Green - the knock on him is size and athleticism, but he led the nation in scoring despite playing in a great conference (ACC) for a bad team, and teams knew that Green was their best player and keyed on him but he still managed to lead the nation in scoring which suggests he can create his own shot. He improved his shooting % every year, and lack of supporting cast hid how good of a distributor he can be. If both Jennings and Ellis leave the Bucks will need some perimeter scoring; the question is if he can be a player or if he's the next Shawn Respert.

In the second round I hope they draft the best perimeter defender who is between 6'5" and 6'8"; they really need to improve their defense against taller outside shooters. Michael Snaer is supposed to be a good defender, has decent size (6'4"), and a decent outside shot (38.4% and 40.4% from 3 the last two years). Another guy who I think has value is James Southerland - he has a great outside shot and at 6'8" is tough to guard from the perimeter. Alex Oriakhi won't give them much offensively, but at 6'9", 255 he won't get pushed around under the defensive boards like Henson, Sanders, and Ilyasova.

i like the idea of bringing in Larry Drew as the new head coach, the hawks have been good the last few years without a star. Still wish they would bring in Mike Budenholzer, anyone that has been the lead assistant for Pop for that many years has to be considered qualified to coach in this league.

i like the idea of bringing in Larry Drew as the new head coach, the hawks have been good the last few years without a star. Still wish they would bring in Mike Budenholzer, anyone that has been the lead assistant for Pop for that many years has to be considered qualified to coach in this league.

Larry Drew is responsible for allowing Josh Smith to consistently jack up 16 foot jump shots.

His offensive philosphy allowed this:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0129/grantland_kg_worst_576.jpg

He is absolutely the last guy I want coaching the Bucks. I want Sampson.

Again, none of this matters with the incompetence above the head coach, including our inept GM who's win-now moves over the last 5 years have been nothing but laughable.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

del negro is out at the clippers coach, how you feel about bringing him here. I never was too impressed with what he did in chicago and the clippers did underachieve since they are one of the deeper teams in the league. Kohl has been hired coaches before because he has liked them, i could see vinny landing in milwaukee, since i believe Kohl liked him as a player when he was here.

Not Bucks related, but I didn't want to start another thread for the NBA.

But let's see...Lebron has been gone from Cleveland for 3 years now. Cavs have managed to win the draft lottery not once, but twice during that time. How convenient huh? I know almost everyone thinks it's fixed, and these types of things don't help at all IMO.

The better argument for fixing would have been if Orlando won due to their loss of Howard.

That being said having #1 this year doesn't mean a whole lot. There isn't a superstar in the bunch and the guy who is likely to go #1 tore his ACL last year and doesn't have much of an offensive game. The top 5-7 prospects are all about the same to me this year. No locks or superstars; just a bunch of role players IMO.

You could look at it as "fixed", you could look at it as "karma"...

Like Fondy said, I don't know if it is a blessing this year as they will have to pay $X for the #1 overall pick who might not be worth it compared to other years.

i doubt it is fixed, since representatives are there from all clubs. i just wish they picked the numbers live on camera. #1 it would be way more compelling tv. #2 there would be no questions like what is above.

Any way we could pry Eric Gordan in a sign-and-trade for Brandon?

I would rather do a sign and trade with the Mavericks involving Brandon. Hopefully picking up their 1st round pick which would give the Bucks the 13th and 15th pick in the draft which they could then trade up into the top 5 picks for either this year or for next years draft.

If this trade happens I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bucks take Michael Carter-Williams with the 13th pick and at the 15th pick take Shabazz Muhammad (assuming he is still available) or Sergey Karasev. I would not want any part of Sergey Karasev as he is at a minimum a 3-year project to get him ready to be an NBA player off the bench. He would absolutely have to go the NBA development league for a year or two. I would bet on him needing at a minimum 2-years in the NBA development league before he would be ready to contribute in the NBA but he has some very high upside but with a very low floor. He would be better as a SF than as a SG. I think the Bucks could pick up Tim Hardaway Jr. in the 2nd round if they decide to trade up to get him in the 2nd round and he would be a good complement to Michael Carter-Williams. The Bucks would still need an outside shooter and hopefully they can find someone at SF who can shoot behind the arc well.

I just came here to post that I want nothing to do with Vinny Del Negro... nothing. So that means he will be hired within the next 2 weeks I am sure.

Anyways, I do like Eric Gordon as a buy low candidate and then possibly signing maybe Devin Harris as well. I personally have no problem with Redick being resigned even though he did struggle here.

I just came here to post that I want nothing to do with Vinny Del Negro... nothing. So that means he will be hired within the next 2 weeks I am sure.

Anyways, I do like Eric Gordon as a buy low candidate and then possibly signing maybe Devin Harris as well. I personally have no problem with Redick being resigned even though he did struggle here.

The problem with resigning Redick is two fold:

1) He isn't a piece that helps you win a bunch more games. 1-2, sure. So if you're a contender, sign him, if not, why bother? He is precisely the type of player (Old, over the MLE, not a superstar) that the Buck's should not sign or trade for ever.

2) You can get 80% of him for 1/4th the cost (or, y'know, with a second round pick like Lamb, who they traded away).

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived