Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2012/2013

patrickgpe

If the Bucks resign Redick, and he continues to play at a level that he has this year, the trade might be alright. If he leaves and we gave up Harris for a rental, it's going to be tough to swallow.

Harris looked decent in the limited PT he got last year and this year, he dominated the summer leagues and he was only 20 years old. The fact that Daniels got lots of minutes ahead of him was a joke. It's just another example of the Bucks making incredibly short sighted moves. You thought enough of him to draft him in the middle of the first round 2 years ago, even though he was only 18 years old. He looks ok in limited PT and from all accounts, was developing relatively well in practice, was a good teammate, etc. Then without really giving him much of a chance, you ship him off less than 2 years later for a rental. Harris could suck, he could also turn into a very good player ala Sanders.

You don't just dump first round picks like that unless they clearly show they can't play (see Joe Alexander).

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tobias Harris had 23 points in 9-12 shooting for Orlando tonight.....

Yes, and Orlando got blown out at home by Sacramento and was -16 in the minutes that Harris played. His SF matchup, former Buck John Salmons, scored 21 on 7-9 shooting. In the Houston game his matchup Parsons scored 21 on 9-15 shooting. Last night Harris was 3-14 in a blowout loss at home to Memphis.

Let's give it more than two games before we evaluate how good or bad this trade was.

Yes, and Orlando got blown out at home by Sacramento and was -16 in the minutes that Harris played. His SF matchup, former Buck John Salmons, scored 21 on 7-9 shooting. In the Houston game his matchup Parsons scored 21 on 9-15 shooting. Last night Harris was 3-14 in a blowout loss at home to Memphis.

Let's give it more than two games before we evaluate how good or bad this trade was.

It was bad regardless. Reddick doesn't make them a title contender or even a threat to move into the second round this year, and they could've signed him in the off season anyway. They gave up long term relatively cheap assets for nothing.

What if the Brewers had traded away Hunter Morris last year for an average starting pitcher who was a FA to be when they were 10 games under .500 in july? Would you have had a "Lets wait and see" attitude?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Some are going way overboard about this Harris deal to the point where it's almost laughable. If you looked up "tweener" in the dictionary, there would be a picture of Tobias. He may turn into a decent player down the road, but you'd have thought that the Bucks traded a future HOF or something with the way some are reacting... based on one big game against the Rockets of all people. Luc Richard was rumored to be part of that deal originally so if they got the Magic to take Harris instead it was a better deal if you ask me.

And how is he a tweener? He's big and strong enough to guard 4's but quick enough to guard 3's.

I think that Harris would get abused if he logged a lot of minutes at PF. He's giving up way too much height, and in a lot of cases athleticism. He's going to have to play SF, where he could probably be a passable defender. Most SF in the NBA don't play much defense anyway. I like his offensive game, but best case, he looks to be a spot shooting forward who might get you 15-17 points a game.

I'm not saying that Harris doesn't have potential, but the way people are acting, the Bucks gave away a perennial all-star. I don't see it. Mind you, I could be completely wrong on this, he's still a kid and I don't think that any of us have seen him play enough to be sure. No matter what, he's going to need time to develop, and by that point he's going to be up for restricted free agency, meaning someone is likely to take a big gamble on him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This.....well, it was a bad trade but let's not lament the loss of Toby Harris just yet.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Ellis was unreal last night. Shot 15-21 from the field. 34 points. Jennings dropped 17 more ast. Redick with 17 off the bench including a couple clutch 3s and LARRY SANDERS! continued his push for defensive player of the year with 16 rebounds and 6 more block shots.

I love at the end of games when we have all 3 of our scoring guards on at the same time with Ersan and Sanders. It let's Jennings have more space to attack where he can find a open Redick or Ersan.

Bucks are now 4-1 since getting Redick and the only loss was a 1 point loss to Atlanta.

I'm happy the Bucks are winning, but still mad about the trade.

I'd be much happier if Jennings, Ellis, Redick, Dunleavy, Dalembert weren't all in the last year of their contract. And our GM didn't have a history of making some terrible off-season decisions (Gooden, Maggette, SJackson, Jefferson etc).

It's definitely a scary thought thinking what Hammonds is going to do in the off-season. Lots of important decisions and a terrible track record.

Living out of state and only seeing highlights it's hard for me to judge, but it seems like adding Redick has really helped Ellis.

As others have noted, there is not a team in the East that I don't give the Bucks a good chance at defeating in a series besides the Heat.

I really like the 3 guards playing together - though it's a pretty big problem on the defensive side. Only two games, but maybe Jennings is starting to realize that when he looks to pass first and not force shots, he's a much, much better player. 19 and 17 assists in his last two games.

I'm happy the Bucks are winning, but still mad about the trade.

That's where I'm pretty much at.

If Redick would be a key cog to a 2nd round run, I think I could at least justify the trade given the FO's track record of doing almost nothing right. So that would be a major success for them. But otherwise, what did the trade really gain them? They were gonna get the 8th seed anyways outside of a colossal collapse.

It's just so frustrating that the Bucks could be so inept to not even give their 20 yo 1st pick a fair shot before trading him for a guy we're probably gonna have to massively overpay to keep for more than this season. It's not like LRMAM or friggin Marquis Daniels were lighting the world on fire either.

Whether or not you think Harris is just stuffing stats down in Orlando, you have to admit this. If he continues to avg 15/6 on really good efficiency for the rest of the year, the Magic could easily turn around and trade him for a pick in the 3-10 range. Easily.

Stating the obvious here, but to have any chance of getting to the second round, they need to find their way out of the 8 seed. They are currently 1 game behind Boston for the 7 spot (we have the tie breaker). 2.5 games behind Atlanta. and 3 games behind Brooklyn and Chicago (those two losses to the Nets a couple weeks back loom large). Making up 2-3 games in the next 24 games isn't impossible but they'll have to keep winning.

Unforutnately, the Bucks have a tough schedule here. Still play Miami and OKC twice, also have games with the Clippers, Pacers, Knicks, Nuggets and THREE against the Hawks.

As others have noted, there is not a team in the East that I don't give the Bucks a good chance at defeating in a series besides the Heat.

Small sample, but earlier this year the Bucks took the Heat into OT at Miami (and had a good size lead in that game in the 4th quarter and should have won) and blew Miami out at home. I realize they have two more games and that the Heat are clicking now, but some teams match up better against others.

I think the Bucks match up better against the Heat than Indiana, Chicago (with a healthy D-Rose), and Atlanta. The Heat do not have a big bruising C or PF that can take advantage of Milwaukee's lack of physical strength at the 1/2 (like Utah did last night with Favors, Kanter, and Milsap). D-Wade is a smaller 2-guard that has a similar game as Ellis and isn't as tough of a defensive matchup for Ellis. They don't have many taller 3-point shooters like Atlanta that can expose the Bucks perimeter defense. Those are Milwaukee's weaknesses, and the Heat play well into them.

Miami's best offensive player (James) matches up with the Bucks best defensive player (LRMAM) fairly well. One of Miami's weaknesses is PG and Jennings can take advantage of that matchup. The Heat are also old - Bosh, Chalmers, and James are the only players under 30 that get significant playing time; the Bucks overall are quicker.

Now that Indiana is getting Granger back, I'm not sure I'd rather finish 7th and get the Pacers than 8th and get the Heat.

The Heat are the best team in the league. I want nothing to do with them in the first round. Yes we played well against them twice but I am pretty sure they went into both games thinking "It's before the the All Star break, it's Milwaukee. Who cares?".

Also, Wade is a terrible match up for Ellis.

That link isn't working.

here ya go.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/3/6/4070580/kareem-abdul-jabbar-milwaukee-bucks-coach-rumors

I guess the question is, can he coach? Sure, his presence would definitely help Sanders, but he doesn't need to be the head coach to do that.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I wonder how Jabbar would relate to the players? He doesn't seem like he has a players coach type personality.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived