Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2012/2013

patrickgpe

I think most of us agree it does make the Bucks better THIS year...you got rid of 3 guys that rarely played and picked up Redick, who can really help the team. But doing so just wasn't worth giving up Harris and Lamb IMO.

Regardless of who they play as the 7 seed, they will stil be pretty significant underdogs. Sure, it's better than matching up with Miami in round one, but if all the trade does is get you to be a slightly smaller underdog in the first round, is it really worth giving up two young players for 30 games of Redick? Harris is only and didn't look all that lost out there when he actually saw the court. This is basically the same as trading Larry Sanders last year. He was young, unpolished but really never got to play.

This is a move a contending team makes, to add a piece that could possibly put them over the top. Not a .500 team trying to avoid the lottery and the 8 seed.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after rethinking this move, although i didn't like it much yesterday i have warmed up. Harris has not shown that much yet minus a dominating summer league performance. I know he is only 20 and can improve, but he is just a prospect right now. I think Lamb is a player that can easily be replaced in next years draft. They may turn out to be decent players and will probably improve, but I don't think either of them will be at the elite / all star level. My knock on the harris pick when they did it was that the bucks had a bunch of similar players and I wanted Marshon Brooks instead. I think if they can get Redick signed and Jennings matched, their back court will be improved with ellis leaving. They have a bunch of 4-5 types that can be switched around, which is why Harris never got off the bench this season.

does anyone have any idea or have heard predictions on what type of money Redick could command this offseason. They obviously need to take care of Larry Sanders, and just threw alot of cash at Ersan. If they sign Redick and Jennings this season, I feel like the majority of their payroll will be locked up.

So...let's say he's 7 million. And Jennings is who knows, 10-12...that's 20 million for those 2 in the backcourt. Is that worth it? We can have lots of cap room, especially if they amnesty Gooden, but still. You're going to have to resign Sanders, Ersan has a big deal, throw in those 2, is that a good enough 4some to really build around? Doesn't seem like it is to me really.

In a report filed late Tuesday night, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports cites "sources" as saying Redick's agent, Arn Tellem, is likely to ask for a four-year deal worth $40 million for his client. Orlando, according to Wojnarowski, would be willing to re-sign him that would pay him "near the mid-level exception of $5 million per year." The Yahoo! scribe spoke with several league general managers who believe Redick will ultimately land a deal paying him $7 million annually.

The depth chart has been laughably bad since the first tip. And after this deal, it's now worse. We now have a nice backup sg but no backup pg!

You guys know that the Bucks also acquired Ish Smith, Orlando's 24-year-old backup PG, in the deal as well, right? And Ellis is a good enough passer that he can play PG (averaging 5.5 assists/game this year).

The Bucks traded Udrih and Lamb for Redick and Smith. So no, the depth is not worse; I'd argue, considering that Lamb hasn't played since January 5th, that the depth is better.

I really wish ATL didn't back out of the original deal. Jennings-Redick-Earson-Smith-Sanders would of been really fun to watch and could of done some damage.

I really really like Redick. He plays better defense then people think he does and he is a lights out shooter. I hope we resign him and keep him in Milwaukee. Also, I have never been impressed with Harris. He is just a guy "imo". I think even last year people could see the defensive potential from Sanders, so comparing them isn't really fair. Harris plays almost no defense.

So the Bucks will probably get the 8th seed, and the chance to get worked by the Heat in the first round. Then Jennings, Ellis, Dalembert, Redick, Dunleavy become FA's. We have only 4 guys from our rotation under contract in Sanders, Henson, LRMAM and Ersan. So glad we traded Tobias Harris and Doron Lamb to get in this position. What a joke this franchise is. In my opinion, not using the expiring contracts, which I'm sure held some decent value, to get young talent back, was a huge mistake. The city of Milwaukee will not get behind an 8th seed team, especially when the majority of the significant players are not under contract for next season.

I don't think there is anyway they are going to let Jennings walk. They will match any offer he gets which will probably be way to much. So next year they will have Jennings, Ersan, and Sanders locked into 3 starting spots most likely. Not a bad 3 to build around but pretty darn expensive once Sanders gets paid. I suppose you could plug in Henson at the 4? Thus they really need a SG and still have no Guard depth. Redick wouldn't be a bad sign but it looks like they are going to have some cap issues if they want to keep Jennings, Redick, Ersan, and a soon to be wealthy Sanders.

Jennings, Redick, Ersan, Henson, and Sanders wouldn't be the worst starting 5 in the league but they still won't be any better than a 3-6 seed in the East and they still would have virtually no depth in case of injuries. I think the upside of this team is pretty limited but they have a monstrous downside. With all the FA this offseason, it is going to be make or break time for Hammond. The timing of his extension still makes no sense to me.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'll actually chime in as one who is in favor of this trade.

Initially, I didn't like that they gave up Tobias Harris. But as I thought about it more, I realize how big of a chance he was given and how little he has worked out. I realize that he is young and could still work out, but honestly, those cases are rare. I think they already saw what they needed out of the guy. I don't think he is a throw-away (like a few of our previous #1 picks), but he will probably be an average player in the NBA at best. And he might be a few years away from that also.

I have an inkling that they have longer term plans for Redick and getting him now gives them a leg up on signing him long term. Plus, Jennings and Redick seem like a more natural pairing. Jennings and Ellis seem far too similar (short, quick, driving types, with poor outside shooting).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

With Luc injured right off the bat, Tobias was given the SF starting reigns from the beginning of training camp. He had his moments, but nothing really to lock it up. You can argue that he wasn't given enough time, but he wasn't buried at the end of the bench (to start the season anyway). He was getting over 18 minutes per game for the month of November.

I'm obviously no NBA talent scout, but no scout that saw this trade really bemoaned the loss of Harris either.

Yup. Once again, no one here dislikes JJ Redick (or ISH SMITH) as a player. I love the guy and wanted us to pursue him as a free agent in the off season.

But you don't give up on a guy who at 20 yrs old already scores the ball efficiently, plays your biggest position of need, and seems to have a good attitude. Especially when you could have just outright signed the guy you traded for in a couple months time.

Hammond is sometimes lauded for his drafting ability, but if you break it down....

08: Alexander (might be the worst lotto pick of the 2000's)

09: Jennings (hey, if you're a box score whore you probably like this pick. but he's not a good player at all. he'll either walk for nothing in the offseason or get overpaid. Good stuff.)

10: Sanders (great pick. should have been on the floor over drew gooden last year but i guess that's more of skiles fault)

11: Harris (traded after not given a fair shot. will probably come back to haunt us)

12: Henson (like the pick, but so far he's shown the opposite of the pre draft scouting reports. he's a really bad defender and a really nifty post player)

I think Henson will be a good defender in time. He has the natural shot blocking ability, he just seems to be slow in recognizing whats happening. I think they can work with him on that, and also to get him bigger. He has looked very good offensively when they actually play him.

As for the 2008 draft, I lost it when we took Alexander over Brook Lopez. I literally threw my remote across the room. Hammonds reasoning? We already have Bogut. Right, because you couldn't possibly play them both together ala Duncan and Robinson? It was a horrible draft pick and an even worse explanation. I'm still not over it as Lopez has been good, even an all star and the guy we picked was out of the league 2 years later.

Pretty exciting games the last couple nights. Jennings should be buying Ellis some lunch today, because Jennings really sucked on that last play. Created no space and didn't give it up until the last possible second, only have Ellis make a ridiculous off balance, one foot fadaway from 26 feet away as time expired.

I think Henson will be a good defender in time.

Me too. Most rookies are terrible defenders so I'm not too discouraged. I'm just surprised he isn't on the same level as Larry during his rookie year. Hopefully he'll train with him in the offseason and add about 20 lbs of bulk.

Harris was a definite asset to give up and it was another Excellent Hammond draft pick that was not given much of an immediate opportunity.....Redick is a very good player that is going to be a big part of the future, and no amount of realgm kvetching or "bag-night" asshattery is going to change what was a good trade for both teams.

Reddick is a free agent after this season, no?

Correct. This trade would make more sense if he wasn't.

Dumping Ellis and adding Smith would have been huge. The Bucks would have been a legit playoff team.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Harris was a definite asset to give up and it was another Excellent Hammond draft pick that was not given much of an immediate opportunity.....Redick is a very good player that is going to be a big part of the future, and no amount of realgm kvetching or "bag-night" asshattery is going to change what was a good trade for both teams.

Yes, the future 30 games. Not the future 5 years.

By the way, Tobes with 27 and 10 boards tonight on 15 shots. It wasn't a good trade for the Bucks. They secured the 8th seed. They didn't get any better. They refused to trade Monta Ellis for Josh Smith.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

"The worst is when you try to do it halfway: when you think you can compete and you also think you're trying to rebuild. Then you're stuck in no-man's-land. You either do it or you don't."

-- Billy Beane

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm happy for Harris that he's lighting up the score sheets, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Look at Orlando's team, someone has to put up some stats. While I'm willing to admit this deal could very well blow up in the Bucks' faces, I'm not going to concede that until Harris can show he is a serviceable player for at least a season.

At this point, the Bucks really need to focus on catching Boston for the 7 spot. Miami is really the only team that I give them no chance against. Barring a complete collapse they basically have the 8 seed locked up... but if they face the Heat, the best case scenario is probably one win.

I'm happy for Harris that he's lighting up the score sheets, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Look at Orlando's team, someone has to put up some stats.

Just like J.J. Redick did when he was there.

Wow, he looks really good, just like in summer league. The Bucks deserve every bit of this for playing Marquis Daniels over him this season, and not giving him a chance after the first few weeks. I'm a huge Bucks fan, but I keep finding myself losing more faith in that organization each year. What a shame this trade is going to turn out to be.

Archived