Brewer Fanatic

September Call-Ups

chad25
In a down season, I doubt we'll see too many call-ups. As others have mentioned, a couple of relievers would make sense, but as someone else mentioned McClendon isn't playing. When you're not in the playoff race, it doesn't make much sense to call someone up just to sit the bench. I'd have no problem letting guys who won't be here next year (like K-Rod) sit while some guys from the minors pitch, but that won't happen.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really hoping they call up Fautino De Los Santos, mostly just because I want to see what he has to offer. He has 51K:17BB in 41 AAA innings this season. Control is obviously a concern with De Los Santos.

With De Los Santos, Henderson, and Axford all looking at bullpen roles for next season, one thing this club won't be short on is power arms out of the pen.

Fautino de los Santos is a lock - he has no options left so they will want to see what they have with him. Peralta is a lock too - he only has ~125 innings on the year, and they will need piggyback starters for Fiers and possibly Rogers to limit their innings. Thornburg only has a little over 100 innings this year as well, and since he pitched 135 last year I think they will want to get him at least up to that mark. Having Peralta piggyback with Fiers and Thornburg piggyback with Rogers would be pretty sweet too - that would generate fan interest in a down year.

"In a down season, I doubt we'll see too many call-ups."

Maybe for position players, but given the need to monitor/limit innings for Fiers & Rogers, likely limiting pitch counts for Marcum as he eases his way back in, and the need to replace almost the entire bullpen for next year I think they will call up at least 4-5 pitchers to see what they have. I can easily see them releasing K-Rod prior to the trade deadline if teams have expressed zero trade interest (very likely) with the cover of "giving him a chance to sign with a contender" to make room on the 40 for a guy like Stetter, Meadows, or Hand. Peralta, de los Santos, Thornburg, and Stetter for pitchers, and Schafer and Bianchi for position players.

• 2 weeks later...

It'll be interesting to see what starting pitchers get called up. Peralta and Thornburg for sure. But if Marcum gets traded (still could happen) and Estrada and Rodgers and Fiers (later) get shut down, the Brewers will need some more starting pitchers.

Burgos is a possibility although he may need to be shut down too due to innings. Don't forget about Bucci who is now healthy and pitching well. He needs to get some innings anyways. Both of these pitchers need to be added to the 40 man roster to protect them from the Rule 5 draft.

Peralta is the one I want to see the most. Maybe Thornburg, although I think Thornburg should be at AAA in 2013 anyway. But I thought DM or RR suggested Tyler was coming up.

Logan Schafer and a reliever or two as well. De los Santos makes sense. I think it may be early for Burgos.

Now..... I'm guessing Peralta, Thornburg, De Los Santos, Hand and Sanchez for pitchers. I know they need to limit Estrada, Fiers, and Rogers innings. Emergency guys (in case of injury) Kintzler, Stetter, or Dillard.

For position guys I'm guessing Green and Schafer. But could see Quintero (3rd catcher), Farris, and Gindl.

I continue to be surprised that they've never had Farris play CF. He has a below average arm, but even then it's still better (and probably more accurate) than Nyjer Morgan's.

Farris doesn't have the arm for SS, so naturally they just leave him at 2B where he's hopelessly blocked. Not exactly the best way to get the most out of your available talent.

Now..... I'm guessing Peralta, Thornburg, De Los Santos, Hand and Sanchez for pitchers. I know they need to limit Estrada, Fiers, and Rogers innings. Emergency guys (in case of injury) Kintzler, Stetter, or Dillard.

For position guys I'm guessing Green and Schafer. But could see Quintero (3rd catcher), Farris, and Gindl.

There's decent reasoning behind all those, but 6 of those (Hand, Sanchez, Kintzler, Stetter, Dillard, Quintero) aren't on the 40-man, so I'd be very surprised if it's more of them than the 2 open 40-man spots.

Of course, though, there are still 4 more days before the Aug 31 waiver/trading deadline, so things could still change.

I wonder if the Brewers will add Morris to the 40-man in September to bring up after his incredible season in AA is over. sort of a "hey, congrats on a great season, enjoy a month in the majors on the bench!"

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I wonder if the Brewers will add Morris to the 40-man in September to bring up after his incredible season in AA is over. sort of a "hey, congrats on a great season, enjoy a month in the majors on the bench!"

Unless they have to add him anyway to protect him from Rule 5, I really hope they don't do this. 40-man spots are pretty valueable, and Morris probably won't be a Brewer next year as Hart and/or Gamel will cover 1B, so I'd rather they keep him off the 40-man until he either needs to be added, or he forces his way onto the big league roster.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Unless they have to add him anyway to protect him from Rule 5, I really hope they don't do this. 40-man spots are pretty valueable, and Morris probably won't be a Brewer next year as Hart and/or Gamel will cover 1B, so I'd rather they keep him off the 40-man until he either needs to be added, or he forces his way onto the big league roster.

you're right, i forgot about that.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Still ahead of Morris is Sean Halton who's posted a .943 OPS since the break at a higher level. Halton has 1 HR every 21.25 AB, nearly matching Morris' 1 every 20.24. Whether or not Halton would be exposed to the rule 5 I'm not sure, and with Morris behind him it's not critical, but he's earned a call up. Halton also has a higher OBP than Morris.

Still ahead of Morris is Sean Halton who's posted a .943 OPS since the break at a higher level. Halton has 1 HR every 21.25 AB, nearly matching Morris' 1 every 20.24. Whether or not Halton would be exposed to the rule 5 I'm not sure, and with Morris behind him it's not critical, but he's earned a call up. Halton also has a higher OBP than Morris.

was not really aware of his production!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

as soon as the minor league seasons end, i'm hoping the brewers cut k-rod and hernandez to open up two more spots for promising talent. there's just no sense in keeping them on the club for the final weeks of the season.

Agreed. They're really just wasting space at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

as soon as the minor league seasons end, i'm hoping the brewers cut k-rod and hernandez to open up two more spots for promising talent. there's just no sense in keeping them on the club for the final weeks of the season.

It would be pretty pointless to cut them. The Brewers are paying them if they cut them or not and they're not taking up any roster spots after rosters expand. With most of the young starters going to be shut down at some point in September somebody needs to pitch those innings. They'll be fine as long as Ron only pitches them when the game is out of hand.

It would be pretty pointless to cut them. The Brewers are paying them if they cut them or not and they're not taking up any roster spots after rosters expand. With most of the young starters going to be shut down at some point in September somebody needs to pitch those innings. They'll be fine as long as Ron only pitches them when the game is out of hand.

I don't trust him greatly, but K-Rod's been good lately when it's not the 9th.

Hernandez just plain hasn't been very good and he doesn't really eat innings, either -- at least not w/ effective pitching -- so I'd love to see him gone. Hernandez stinks in the clutch and he stinks when it's not clutch-time.

Bring up a young arm we'll need to add to the 40-man anyway.

Archived