Brewer Fanatic

User Driven Power 50 (August 2012)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not too surprising that no Brewer position player cracked John Sickels' current Top 50.
Note that Jean Segura was ineligible due to getting 166 PAs this year in the big leagues.

Also noteworthy that Tyler Thornburg did crack Sickel's top 50 pitchers list. Oddly enough, no Wily Peralta.

I realize one may be able to apply this kind of list to any organization, but the Brewers seem particularly inept at identifying & developing pitching. Here are the players on Sickels's Top 50 list from the 2011 Draft alone, picked after Jungmann at #12, and/or Bradley at #15:

2) Jose Fernandez (#13 pick, MIA)

14) Taylor Guerreiri (#24, TBR)

15) Robert Stephenson (#27, CIN)

18) Matt Barnes (#19, BOS)

28) Alex Meyer (#23, WAS)

36) Kyle Crick (#49, SFG)

46) Michael Fulmer (#44, NYM)

48) Andrew Chafin (#43, ARZ)

49) Henry Owens (#36, BOS)

I'm not suggesting the Brewers should've reached for guys that didn't go until the 30-50 range at #s 12 & 15. But the first five guys on that list above were certainly in that neighborhood.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Not too surprising that no Brewer position player cracked John Sickels' current Top 50.
Note that Jean Segura was ineligible due to getting 166 PAs this year in the big leagues.

Also noteworthy that Tyler Thornburg did crack Sickel's top 50 pitchers list. Oddly enough, no Wily Peralta.

I realize one may be able to apply this kind of list to any organization, but the Brewers seem particularly inept at identifying & developing pitching. Here are the players on Sickels's Top 50 list from the 2011 Draft alone, picked after Jungmann at #12, and/or Bradley at #15:

2) Jose Fernandez (#13 pick, MIA)

14) Taylor Guerreiri (#24, TBR)

15) Robert Stephenson (#27, CIN)

18) Matt Barnes (#19, BOS)

28) Alex Meyer (#23, WAS)

36) Kyle Crick (#49, SFG)

46) Michael Fulmer (#44, NYM)

48) Andrew Chafin (#43, ARZ)

49) Henry Owens (#36, BOS)

I'm not suggesting the Brewers should've reached for guys that didn't go until the 30-50 range at #s 12 & 15. But the first five guys on that list above were certainly in that neighborhood.

Absolutely. The Brewers went into the draft looking for 'immediate pitching help', leading me to believe there was no way they would have considered a HS pitcher with the first pick.

Any time you limit your options like that, you lose.

The Brewers could've drafted Fernandez, Guerrieri, Barnes, and Stephenson. But they HAD to draft the guys they deemed were "quick-to-the-majors". At some point they would have to take a pitcher who isn't very polished but has the stuff to become a very good pitcher. I don't think they're gonna get very far by drafting Aaron Cooks every time they draft pitching.

The Brewers could've drafted Fernandez, Guerrieri, Barnes, and Stephenson. But they HAD to draft the guys they deemed were "quick-to-the-majors". At some point they would have to take a pitcher who isn't very polished but has the stuff to become a very good pitcher. I don't think they're gonna get very far by drafting Aaron Cooks every time they draft pitching.

To be fair, that's what people were saying about Jorge Lopez after the '11 draft.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

To be fair, that's what people were saying about Jorge Lopez after the '11 draft.

I meant the first round. Forgot to mention so.

I was really high on Guerrieri. They had two 1st rounders so I don't know why they couldn't have taken a "quick-to-the-majors" type college pitcher and a HS guy with great stuff, who might take a little longer. I didn't see any need to settle for 2 guys just because they might arrive a couple of years earlier. I also liked Barnes a lot (I think there might've been some signability concerns) and Sonny Gray as well.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I also wanted Guerrieri but at the time it's tough to argue him over Bradley. Bradley came out as a big profile-able hard throwing lefty with a ton of potential. Unfortunately he's had injuries and other issues and his status is up in the air as a prospect. The pick that we all cringed at was Jungmann, but he had a pretty solid year in the minors this year after being shut down from so many innings the year prior. Overall none of these guys mentioned(from that list I mean) have made the majors yet, so rankings and such really don't mean that much.

Archived