Brewer Fanatic

User Driven Power 50 (August 2012)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
U guys ranking all these players for this year or past/future? Cuz some seem pretty high. Seems like a few of them look good on Paper but havent perform to all the hype.

Certainly not for this year only.

And, yes, sometimes you have to predict that a certain player will develop.

That said, the difference between 10 and 25 is very little. Same with 26-50. Like I said in another thread, there is lots of depth here. Lots of low B grade kinds of guys, which still means they profile as MLB average or so. That bodes very well for this teams future.

I know X-TAI is a big Burgos guy. Maybe you took my comment about him wrong? I think he will be a very good MLB pitcher. He has obviously figured something out. I just meant the national guys will all be commenting how he came out of nowhere even though he was a 6th round pick and everything. Us Brewers fans have known about him for years!

:)

I really hope to see Hiram in Milwaukee in September. He has been my avatar for over a year now!

I know X-TAI is a big Burgos guy. Maybe you took my comment about him wrong? I think he will be a very good MLB pitcher. He has obviously figured something out. I just meant the national guys will all be commenting how he came out of nowhere even though he was a 6th round pick and everything. Us Brewers fans have known about him for years!

:)

I really hope to see Hiram in Milwaukee in September. He has been my avatar for over a year now!

Not at all. Everyone has a say. I just like to read what everyone writes.

The only thing that gets to me its when people put other pitchers above him that haven't deliver on the hype. Don't like using names. :) that's all :)

U guys ranking all these players for this year or past/future? Cuz some seem pretty high. Seems like a few of them look good on Paper but havent perform to all the hype.

Rankings all depend on how you view a prospect and what value they have. Some people value performance more so than a players stuff while some others value stuff more so than the performance. While others value them equally and some others just pull numbers out of a hat and assign that to a player.

The only thing that gets to me its when people put other pitchers above him that haven't deliver on the hype. Don't like using names. :) that's all :)

To be fair, outside of Helena, Burgos hadn't 'delivered' prior to 2012. Not trying to dump on the guy, though.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

To be fair, outside of Helena, Burgos hadn't 'delivered' prior to 2012. Not trying to dump on the guy, though.

You are correct but that's were my question comes in. Are we talking this year or Past?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Are we talking this year or Past?

Typically, this is a prospect rating, not a performance rating. Thus, people aren't rating how people did this year alone.

As others have said, its a combination of their MiLB performance (with age and level considerations included) and scouting tools (which admittedly can be harder to obtain).

Thus, Burgos gets a positive from his performance this year at AA and AAA, but that is tempered by poor performances in prior years (i.e. is this year a fluke and will he regress?). Also he gets a negative on the scouting side. As you may have noticed, various people (including myself) have tried to get a feel if Burgos' FB speed or some other improvement has occurred to account for the drastic difference in performance.

Burgos will need to pitch like this for a second year to really jump up the rankings. Granted without this one year he isn't even on the P50 discussions.

Are we talking this year or Past?

Typically, this is a prospect rating, not a performance rating. Thus, people aren't rating how people did this year alone.

As others have said, its a combination of their MiLB performance (with age and level considerations included) and scouting tools (which admittedly can be harder to obtain).

Thus, Burgos gets a positive from his performance this year at AA and AAA, but that is tempered by poor performances in prior years (i.e. is this year a fluke and will he regress?). Also he gets a negative on the scouting side. As you may have noticed, various people (including myself) have tried to get a feel if Burgos' FB speed or some other improvement has occurred to account for the drastic difference in performance.

Burgos will need to pitch like this for a second year to really jump up the rankings. Granted without this one year he isn't even on the P50 discussions.

I see.Thanks for the explanations guys..

I'll also add that there are no "rules" to it either. Just more or less answer the question: Who will make the biggest impact on the MLB club.

I haven't been able to follow the MiLB very closely this year, especially the rookie and DSL levels, but here is my list:

1. Jean Segura

2. Wily Peralta

3. Tyler Thornburg

4. Jimmy Nelson

5. Taylor Jungmann

6. Hunter Morris

7. Clint Coulter

8. Khris Davis

9. Scooter Gennett

10. Jed Bradley

11. Tyrone Taylor

12. Mark Rogers

13. Johnny Hellweg

14. Ariel Pena

15. Victor Roache

16. Taylor Green

17. Mitch Haniger

18. Jose Pena

19. Nick Bucci

20. Chris McFarland

21. Jorge Lopez

22. Orlando Arcia

23. Drew Gagnon

24. Damien Magnifico

25. Caleb Gindl

26. Logan Schafer

27. Michael Reed

28. Cameron Garfield

29. Hiram Burgos

30. T.J. Mittelstaedt

31. Yadiel Rivera

32. Cody Scarpetta

33. Alan Williams

34. Santo Manzanillo

35. Chadwin Stang

36. Eric Arnett

37. Mike Walker

38. Andy Moye

39. Josh Prince

40. Brooks Hall

The middle (say 10-30) is quite muddled.

Selected comments:

1. Jean Segura - had to get him in before he isn't eligible anymore.

4. Jimmy Nelson - no too worried about poor AA performance. Mostly transition and injuries, IMO.

6. Hunter Morris - hopefully, this isn't only about home-cooking.

8. Khris Davis - yep, I'm one of "those" ;)

10. Jed Bradley - I'm still a believer. I have a suspicion that lingering injuries (culminating in his being shut down) have been a problem.

16. Taylor Green - pretty disappointed in the step back.

19. Nick Bucci - Without his injury, might have cracked the top 10 while pitching in AA this year. But youth is still on his side.

20. Chris McFarland - IMO, this is the future of 2nd base. No disrespect to Gennett.

29. Hiram Burgos - I'm just not "there" yet with him. But as I said,

30. T.J. Mittelstaedt - The Fiers or Burgos of the position players. I still see Mark Loretta in this guy.

33. Alan Williams - Might move very quickly if he sees success in AA next year.

34. Santo Manzanillo - if he was healthy this season, he might be closing for the Brewers by now. Of course, he still might be any worse than what is there now...

6. Hunter Morris - hopefully, this isn't only about home-cooking.

Not saying I believe there's anything to worry about here, but he does actually have a pretty significant home/road OPS split -- 1.014/.796. In fact, his h/r slash lines make Joe Davis Stadium look like it's Coors Field Jr. (.341 home AVG/.263 road)

EDIT: Ugh, I hadn't noticed this before, but Gennett, Prince, & Davis all have pretty extreme h/r splits as well (favoring home, I mean). I don't recall J.D. Stadium being regarded as a hitter's park, can anyone weigh in on that?

I'd also like to add that after about 30 minutes, I have my top three sorted out. I have a pretty good idea of the next 10-15 guys, but no idea how to rank them ahead of & behind one another. :indifferent

1. Jean Segura

2. Wily Peralta

3. Tyler Thornburg

4. Victor Roache

5. Jimmy Nelson

6. Johnny Hellweg

7. Ariel Pena

8. Hunter Morris

9. Scooter Gennett

10. Taylor Jungmann

11. Mark Rogers

12. Clint Coulter

13. Tyrone Taylor

14. Cameron Garfield

15. Jorge Lopez

16. Orlando Arcia

17. Mitch Haniger

18. Khris Davis

19. Chris McFarland

20. Logan Schafer

21. Taylor Green

22. Caleb Gindl

23. Nick Bucci

24. Hiram Burgos

25. Jose Pena

26. Drew Gagnon

27. Jed Bradley

28. Cody Scarpetta

29. Damien Magnifico

30. Gian Rizzo

31. Ruben Ozuna

32. Carlos Belonis

33. Angel Ortega

34. Edgardo Rivera

35. Zach Quintana

36. T.J. Mittelstaedt

37. Josh Prince

38. Kentrail Davis

39. Yadiel Rivera

40. Jason Rogers

41. Ben McMahan

42. Adam Giacalone

43. Tyler Wagner

44. Malcolm Dowell

45. Jesus Sanchez

46. Nick Ramirez

45. Stosh Wawrzasek

46. Max Walla

47. Santo Manzanillo

48. Carlos Pena

49. Francisco Castillo

50. Andres Martinez

Not saying I believe there's anything to worry about here, but he does actually have a pretty significant home/road OPS split

Oh sure, I was only referencing that he is from Huntsville... now I might be a bit concerned about his splits. ;)

Comments

1. Jean Segura: I really like Tedaladtada's description: "Reminds me of a pre-injuries Furcal with a touch less usable speed and arm." He certainly looks to be built more sturdily than Furcal, which could be both an asset & liability. His approach at the plate right now reminds me a little of Lucroy's when Jon was first called up... straight from AA no less. I think Segura will be markedly improved at the plate in 2013, and it will be directly due to getting called up this season & getting comfortable in the bigs.

2. Wily Peralta:-I think TC07's note on Gindl, about a player scuffling while repeating a level at which he excelled the season prior, could help explain Wily's early-season WOAHs. What we've seen since then is the pitcher everyone thought Peralta was. Time to get him up and broken in at the big-league level.

3. Tyler Thornburg: After making light earlier this season of the prospect-watching opinion that TT might have to work out of the bullpen, I can see where it comes from. However, I feel like I see some Dave Bush... with a tick more velocity & slightly better stuff, and a guy who could wind up anywhere from #3-#5 in the rotation. If he winds up a bullpen arm, he should be a good one.

4. Victor Roache: This is a guy, pre-wrist-injury, who was getting mocked in the top 10 of the 2012 draft. He struggled in the Cape Cod league (wood bats) last summer against breaking balls, but the power potential is undeniable and impressive. Wrist injuries can be tough to recover from, but obviously I'm betting he will.

5. Jimmy Nelson: Scouts love his stuff, and it's hard to disagree. If he learns to command his repertoire consistently, the upside could be a #2 or even #1 if he just explodes. Not young for his level, but he's made good progress.

6. Johnny Hellweg: I love this arm, but tall pitchers reportedly (as I am no expert) tend to struggle more with mechanics. Still, give me upper-90s heat with a good slider, makings of a changeup, and strong groundball tendencies any day of the week. Time for him to get some Tunnell-vision.

7. Ariel Pena: Showed continued strides in '12, on the heels of his progress in '11, prior to getting traded from the only organization he's known... for 5.5 seasons. I'm guessing getting away from familiar surroundings & coaching has something to do with his inconsistency with Huntsville so far. Still very high on him.

8. Hunter Morris: I considered having him lower, since this is just one season. But the reports on his work ethic/'makeup' & improvements in basically all facets of his game has me on board. I think what the Brewers plan to do with Corey Hart could well wind up being tied to whether or not Morris has improved beyond just 2012.

9. Scooter Gennett: Just. Keeps. Hitting. Defense has reportedly improved, though from an outsider's p.o.v. it still looks like a work in progress. With Weeks under salary control through 2015, there's plenty of time for Scooter to keep getting reps in the minors.

10. Taylor Jungmann: I want to have him higher, I really do. Severe H/R ERA splits this season were one reason I couldn't bring myself to bump him higher. Good to see him succeeding, & hope he can translate it to AA next season.

11. Mark Rogers: I want to have him higher, I really do. I believe it's telling that Mark has gotten good results overall so far as a big-leaguer, and there's no question about his arm & stuff being MLB-worthy. But to quote Yoda, "Control, control -- you must learn control!" Obviously health is a big issue here, too. Almost seems like he has the same snakebite Ben Sheets had... *ducks*

12. Clint Coulter: If he develops into a viable C defender, a la SFG's Tommy Joseph, Coulter could easily jump to my #1 spot before long. A project here, but the upside is off the charts; already showing good development.

13. Tyrone Taylor: Good thing I complained about this pick. Seriously, I think I would've preferred to see a different selection at his pick, but Tyrone has done nothing but start cooking up some crow for me. His performance thus far has been stellar.

14. Cameron Garfield: I had him higher initially, but backed off a bit since he's age-appropriate for A- and he's repeating the level. Still, his tools were highly-regarded enough to go in Round 2 in 2009, and he's hit extremely well this year. Similar to Gennett, with Lucroy in Milwaukee for the forseeable future, there's no need for him to hurry up & move up the ladder.

15. Jorge Lopez: Disappointing that he was sent to the DSL, but iirc Mass Haas speculated it could've been for language/education reasons as much as on-field reasons. In his two most recent starts for the Cerveceritos, he's flashed the ability that got him drafted in 2011's 2nd round (10.2 IP, 6 H, 1 R/0 ER, 2 BB, 11 K).

16. Orlando Arcia: I really just know almost nothing about Arcia (as is the case with all the DSL guys), so it's hard for me to rank him any higher after just one good season in the DSL. Still, a SS that produces like he did is hard to ignore.

17. Mitch Haniger: I didn't love this draft pick, either, but similar to Taylor, he came out of the gates & produced. About the same age as Garfield, and hit to similar success before partially tearing the PCL in his left knee.

18. Khris Davis: Another guy I wanted to have higher... and probably should've. Khrush just does what the nickname implies... ball go far. I think he'll find a home in someone's big-league OF, just not sure it'll be Milwaukee's. Very possible trade chip this offseason.

19. Chris McFarland: An over-slot signee from the draft that was the swan-song for classic over-slot signings, he's hit well as a 19-yo in Helena in his pro debut season. Needs to cut down on the K's & drive the ball for XBHs more often, and if he can do that, you're looking at an extremely legit 2B/IF prospect.

20. Logan Schafer: I think TC07's note on Gindl, about a player scuffling while repeating a level at which he excelled the season prior, could help explain... He's really struggled in the second half, but has started hitting again of late. His production isn't buoyed by the west-coast PCL parks, as his home OPS is significantly better -- but the flip-side is he didn't feast in the hitters' parks. I think we know what we have in Schafer, and that's a LH swinging 4th OF with excellent defense in CF. He's certainly a guy who could progress into a legit CF starter in the right MLB circumstances, but he doesn't look like a good bet to fare well v. big-league LHPs.

21. Taylor Green: Hard for me to be too critical of Green. Imo he was in a lose-lose situation this season whether he repeated AAA or rode the pine for Roenicke. I've been saying for a while now that I think he's going to be a solid-swinging LH 2B/3B/1B/PH utility IF, and that I think he carries a lot of value in that role. I'd love to see him as part of the MLB bench going forward. Possesses more pop than he's shown so far in the bigs; good-looking bat speed. A comp. I've used is former Cub Mike Fontenot, but more power.

22. Caleb Gindl: I think TC07's note on Gindl, about a player scuffling while repeating a level at which he excelled the season prior, could help explain... Since this is his 6th season in the org., it's easy to forget he still hasn't turned 24. I feel like he's an OF version of Green, and certainly has gotten enough reps in CF to be at least usable at all three OF spots. Definite bench OF/PH candidate for the big club going forward.

23. Nick Bucci: The organization seems very high on Nick. He's adorable. He's produced. What else do you want? In all seriousness, I hope his road back from the biceps tendonitis setback continues to be smooth. Even without top-of-rotation-caliber stuff, his production so far & respect from the org. are hard to ignore. Still just 22 years old.

24. Hiram Burgos: Even without a stellar scouting report or MiLB career heading into this season, Burgos's 2012 has made him impossible to ignore. At 26, he hasn't flown through the system, but at this point he's looking likely to be on the shortlist for AAA pitching callups in 2013.

25. Jose Pena: It says a lot about what the Brewers think of Pena that he was promoted stateside after posting a .655 OPS in '10 and a .565 OPS in '11. It also underscores the point that we just don't know much of anything about DSL prospects until they make it to the U.S. Pena is proving the org.'s faith to be well-placed, and has earned a well-deserved promotion to Helena in his age-19 season. This is already a big young man (6'2"/192 is what's listed) who should project to add more bulk to his frame & power to his game as he progresses. A .299 AVG, 9 2B, 7 3B, & 5 HR in 167 ABs with the AZL Brewers sure seem to suggest he was hitting the ball with authority. Not a bad start in Huntsville, either, with a longball in his first PA. This is another guy who could absolutely fly up the P50.

I'll get to comments on the next 25 tomorrow or so. This is a mega-post as it is, and it's late. I'm sure everyone will be eagerly anticipating... :rolleyes

26. Drew Gagnon: This is a guy I probably should've had higher. He's done nothing but succeed this season, with pretty even L/R splits. In August 2011, Jim Breen noted, "Milwaukee thinks Gagnon's low-90s fastball, changeup, and curveball can eventually develop into third-starter material."... and Gagnon has done nothing to dispel that notion.

27. Jed Bradley: I realize this is a sky-is-falling thing to say, and the situations are obviously different, but I just can't help but be reminded of Eric Arnett here. Rest up, get well, and come back strong in 2013, Jed. The upside is clearly there.

28. Cody Scarpetta: Pre-2011, Baseball America had him as the Brewers' #2 prospect. A tear in his UCL was discovered in 2012 ST, and obviously he hasn't pitched this season. Possible candidate for having the most option seasons ever (/half blue, I have no idea). Interesting story on the technique used to repair his UCL that Mass Haas probably linked to months ago.

29. Damien Magnifico: You've heard about the huge FB velocity, and it's why he's ranked where he is. He's only had two good outings out of his six pro appearances so far, but with his arm, he's going to get every chance... and then some... to succeed. The reports around draft time seemed to agree that his FB was straight enough that hitters could still catch up to it, and that he had been working on refining the pitch by possibly sacrificing some velo for movement. I'm guessing he'll be assigned to Wisconsin next season, so Brewers fans will be able to check him out in person.

30. Gian Rizzo: For an example of how impressive Rizzo has been, he's cut a stingy 1.96 BB/9 rate from '11 nearly in half this season. He allowed one HR last season, none so far this year. With the numbers he's posted (1.82 2011 ERA, 1.13 so far in '12), it's easy to get confused as to why he's still in the DSL. It really could be for any number of reasons, and since he still hasn't turned 19 (9/5/12), there really isn't any reason to be worried. Nobody seems to have a scouting report on Rizzo, which seems a little odd given his success. But if he has velocity & stuff to go with his obvious command, he could make a big-time splash on top prospect lists.

31. Ruben Ozuna: Another big young DSL product, Ozuna hasn't been able to quite replicate his DSL & AZL success with Helena. But aside from a 5-25 May, his offense looks almost exactly like it did heading into '12. He turns 21 in a few days, so there's not much to be worried about... I'm guessing he'll be moved to WI for full-season ball next year, especially since his July & August so far have been his best hitting months on the campaign.

32. Carlos Belonis: Even with my standard caveat of not knowing anything about a DSL prospect, Belonis is hard to ignore. He turns 18 on 8/19, was signed for a pricey $550K and considered by Ben Badler of BA to be the cream of last offseason's DSL crop for the Brewers. He's a big dude already (6'3"/175 listed), and as Mass Haas speculated in the transactions thread I linked to, might need to move to a corner position as he grows. Pretty clearly a high-upside prospect, and he's been white-hot since returning from a relatively minor injury that saw him miss 18 games in July-August. So far this month, he's 10-23 with a 1.154 OPS, and he hit his first two pro HRs in his second game back from injury (8/10). He's struck out a ton, but with his potential & production so far, I don't think it should be a concern just yet.

33. Angel Ortega: The 6th rounder from this year's draft comes with a pretty glowing scouting report via Perfect Game: "The wiry 6-foot-2, 165-pound Ortega has outstanding actions at shortstop, with easy flowing movements, very soft and flashy hands, and excellen[t] balance through release on his throws. He’s fun to watch play defense and has a nose for the spectacular play. While his glove grades out as well-above average, his raw arm strength is average, although it plays up due to his quick exchange and release. A switch-hitter, it is believed he could progress as a hitter as he continues to add strength to his frame." He's listed as a RH hitter on his MiLB player page, so not sure if he ditched the 'switch'. The defense alone is exciting. Here's a look at him.

34. Edgardo Rivera: '12 8th rounder. Perfect Game provided some great info on him during the draft: "Rivera was on virtually no one’s follow list before competing in the Excellence Games in early May, where he ripped off a startling 6.3-time in the 60. ... Rivera is a lefthanded hitter with a short, quick swing that is pretty fundamentally sound, although he is unlikely to develop anything more than gap-type power in the future. His blazing speed will no doubt provide him with exceptional range once he improves his routes and jumps on fly balls in centerfield. There is some talk of Rivera being drafted as high as the third round, but the fifth round seems more appropriate, given his late emergence as a prospect." So far his bat has lived up to the scouting report, and if he progresses, the Brewers could come away with good value from the 8th round.

35. Zach Quintana: We really are spoiled by Mr. Ebert's involvement with Brewerfan, as PG always supplies great content during the draft: "The 6-foot, 190-pound Quintana has a strong, physically-mature and athletic frame, and a quick, live arm with a fastball that was normally in the 88-92 mph range last summer, but has been more consistently in the low-90s and up to 94-95 this spring. He also has a solid mid-70s downer curveball and good feel for an upper-70s changeup. He displays good overall pitchability and commands three pitches, and has the arm speed to add even more velocity. If he was even 2-3 inches taller, Quintana might push to be drafted as high as the second round." Even with his struggles so far in the AZL, I probably should have him higher.

36. T.J. Mittelstaedt: Versatile LH swinger with some pop. Add those two together, & you have a shot at a career in the bigs as a useful bench player. He hadn't really struggled as a hitter until reaching Huntsville this season. While his AVG is down, the ISO is still good. Ks have held back his offensive production throughout his pro career, but he also draws BBs at a good rate.

37. Josh Prince: Moved from SS to CF this season, which means he's got a lot of guys ahead of him on the organizational depth chart. Struggled at A- & his first shot at A+, but improved offensively as he repeated at Brevard County last year. Continued offensive improvement this season at Huntsville, but not a star-caliber bat. Good BB rate, awful K rate, and he looks to be very aggressive on the basepaths (41/57, 72% in SB attempts).

38. Kentrail Davis: There is one issue that would completely change Davis's prospect status, and it's the all too familiar K rate. He has the arm & ability to play RF well.

39. Yadiel Rivera: Yep, K rate again. He gets rave reviews for his defense, and has pop. However, his swing gets called "long", and you can see it even in just his slash line so far: .225/.271/.389/.659.

40. Jason Rogers: He's been older for his levels so far, but he's hit. Good BB rate, a good BB/K ratio, and a solid bat so far this season have yielded a .300 AVG/.400 OBP guy with pop. 2012 has been a breakout season for him, and his .862 OPS thus far in the FSL cannot be overlooked. Even with all that, I have to say, my favorite aspect of the big guy (6'2"/250 listed) is that he's got some El Caballo sneakability on the basepaths -- 21/26 (81%) in SB attempts in his pro career so far.

41. Ben McMahan: 2011 23rd rounder from UF has thunder in his bat, but needs to refine his K/BB ratio. He's still basically a .300 AVG hitter even now with a pretty brutal K/BB, so if he can refine that part of his game, his production should skyrocket. Turns 23 in October, so there's still time for him to work on it... and if he can... well former 22nd rounder Mike Fiers seems to have a couple fans around, doesn't he?

42. Adam Giacalone: 2012 11th rounder has hit Pioneer League pitching well so far, but he's also struck out a lot. As a college draftee, success in Helena shouldn't get anyone too excited, but a .350+ AVG to this point is still impressive.

43. Tyler Wagner: It appears that this year's 4th rounder is still building up arm strength to continue to work as a SP, but still -- an ERA just south of 7 in the Pioneer League for a 4th rounder out of college is disappointing. Here's an excerpt from the PG scouting report on him: "The rangy 6-foot-3, 195-pound Wagner has an explosive arm with a fastball that frequently touches 95 mph and gets on hitters quickly from a three-quarters slot. He also has a second plus pitch in a power slider, giving him two weapons needed to excel as a closer. Wagner had only two saves in 17 appearances in early May, though as his opportunity to close out games was limited. At the same time, Wagner struggles to throw strikes consistently, which led to a 2-5, 3.98 record, while walking 21 and striking out 29 in 32 innings"

44. Malcolm Dowell: Still not much scouting info out there on him. Physically he's pretty impressive (6'0"/190 listed), but he hasn't been able to translate that into driving the ball yet. Even with roughly a 100-point difference in OPS, he really hasn't produced much differently at the plate this season so far (.684 OPS, 108 AB) than last (.590, 110 AB). The joy of small samples. When I look at this guy, I think of D'Vontrey Richardson (Dowell also played HS football, though wasn't as highly-regarded as D'Vo), except that the Brewers got him out of H.S. & not college, so he has a lot more time to develop. Good athlete, high upside, very raw This is his age-19 season.

45. Jesus Sanchez: Burgos-esque season for this reliever. Not on the 40-man roster, but I don't see how he's not called up come September.

46. Nick Ramirez: A good example of why you can't get too excited about college guys posting good Pioneer Lg. stats, Ramirez has posted a better but similar slash line to teammate Yadi Rivera... also similarly bad K/BB ratio. There's legit power here, but the hit tool & plate discipline need more work.

45. Stosh Wawrzasek: Stosh's 'stache alone should probably bump him up a few spots. He's been lights-out this season with the T-Rats, but didn't fare well in a short stint with BC. He'll likely be repeating at BC next season.

46. Max Walla: Made big strides with Helena last season, but has posted a nearly identical slash line in '12 to his '10 output. If 2010-->'11 is any indication, Walla will repeat at Wisconsin & hit. Time will tell, but you'd like to get more out of a 2nd round pick. Strong dude... if he can improve his hit tool, he could fly up this list, because the power will be there.

47. Santo Manzanillo: Just a sad turn of events for him this past offseason, especially after he lost 2009 to TJ surgery. Hang in there & get strong again, Santo.

48. Carlos Pena: 19-yo catcher who's displayed power in the DSL. I have no idea how he is defensively, but a backstop with pop always catches my eye (ugh, forgive the unintended pun).

49. Francisco Castillo: I honestly have no idea if he belongs on this list or not. Good SB success rate, switch hitter, MIF. That's about all I know.

50. Andres Martinez: I wanted to include him on my P50 because, much like Jose Pena, he's a big dude (6'2"/188 listed) who's been promoted by the org. despite not posting impressive slash lines. The Brewers appear to see something in Martinez like they did in Pena, so I'm going to believe them.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the massive delay... why must work penalize a person for taking vacation?

1 Jean Segura

2 Tyler Thornburg

3 Wily Peralta

4 Jimmie Nelson

5 Johnny Hellweg

6 Hunter Morris

7 Taylor Jungmann

8 Clint Coulter

9 Ariel Pena

10 Victor Roache

11 Scooter Gennett

12 Tyrone Taylor

13 Khris Davis

14 Hiram Burgos

15 Orlando Arcia

16 Mitch Haniger

17 Logan Schafer

18 Mark Rogers

19 Chris McFarland

20 Jed Bradley

21 Cameron Garfield

22 Drew Gagnon

23 Caleb Gindl

24 Damien Magnifico

25 Nick Bucci

26 Taylor Green

27 Jose Pena

28 Yadiel Rivera

29 Jorge Lopez

30 Michael Reed

31 Ruben Ozuna

32 Gian Rizzo

33 Santo Manzanillo

34 Cody Scarpetta

35 Kentrail Davis

36 Zach Quintana

37 Edgardo Rivera

38 Josh Prince

39 Fautino De Los Santos

40 TJ Mittelstaedt

41 Alan Williams

42 Jorge Ortega

43 Kyle Heckathorn

44 Nick Ramirez

45 Adam Giacalone

46 Eric Arnett

47 Jim Henderson

48 Jesus Sanchez

-- Jason Rogers (tie)

50 Tommy Toledo

Jose Pena has been so good this year, we put him on the list twice!

All kidding aside, great list. Thanks!

Mark Rogers with I assume is his last time on this list. Remarkable career. Who would've thought he would make it to the majors after all the injuries. Also sounds like he is being shut down for the season (per Attanasio). See ya next year Mark!

Doh! I must have mis-typed his name into the spreadsheet.. that should be Ariel.

I had more troubles this time with the duplicate names than either time before. Mostly then it was Kh and Ke Davis. This time, it was Davis, Pena, Ortega, and Rivera. And with Ortega (Jorge or Angel), many people just listed the last name. So I defaulted to Jorge, as he seemed to be listed higher among the people that put first names down. But it was prett close either way...

One thing I meant to note from this top-25 is the following note: "[Gennett's] diminutive 5’9″, 185 pound frame still concerns scouts."

If Scooter has indeed bulked up to 185, not sure I'd classify him as "diminutive" anymore. His MiLB player page still has him at 164, but iirc those aren't updated after the season begins. Heck, 5'9"/185 could pass for a NCAA tailback -- that's pretty well put together. I'm wondering if that's a typo, or if Gennett has actually bulked up by 20 lbs. over the course of this season.

I forget where I read it but there was information somewhere recently about the heights and weights... they are only entered by certain people and are rarely updated year to year for prospects. I want to say it was one of the BA chats but I honestly just can't say for sure, the where is escaping me at the moment or I'd link it.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• 1 month later...

Archived