Brewer Fanatic

The Great Carlos Gomez Debate

splitterpfj

OK, Brewerfans...you tell me, has Carlos Gomez "arrived", or has he had a hot streak?

We all know the skills...great speed, great defense, obvious power potential, and no idea what he's doing in the batter's box.

Do you commit to Carlos as the center fielder on this team, do you continue to use him in a platoon, or do you trade him this winter?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's important to keep in mind that Gomez is a Boras client, so signing him to an extension that just buys out a year or two of free agency might not be feasible. And if he's good again next year, he's almost assuredly going to hit the open market at the end of 2013.

With Aoki and Schafer and Prince all around, I'd seriously consider trading Gomez if he finishes the season on a hot streak. Maybe sign a cheap RH-hitting CF (Ryan Spillborghs?) to pair with Aoki.

Edit: I have no idea what the return on one year of a Gomez is... Emilio Bonifacio or something?

Gomez still offers a lot off the bench if he plays himself out of a starting role. I like the idea of next year's OF consisting of Braun, Gomez, Aoki, Schaefer, & Gamel (assuming Hart's still at 1B) -- playing time obviously having plenty of variables as things unfold.

Even though he normally has stupid confidence (huge swings on 0-2), It seems like he finally has real confidence and a decent approach. I agree on him starting the rest of the year. If he finishes hot and some other team is convinced he's reaching his potential I would definitely deal him if he's part of a package for an ace.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

1) On July 21st Carlos Gomez had an OPS of .688 (fairly close to his career mark). In a little less than 3 weeks he's raised it by ~.100. For April (~4 weeks) he had an OPS of .893 and yet was so unspectacular for May, June and most of July that his OPS was back to career average territory. He is having a hot spell. He has them.

2) I have a great money making idea for Brewerfan. Sell the price of web hosting to posters if they can block topics from being discussed. Depending on the price, I would easily pay the web hosting costs of Brewerfan.net for 3, 6, or 12 months if no topics could be started that discuss Carlos Gomez and breakout. We could have one for the cost of a K vs. a normal out and any other topic that is beaten to death yearly, monthly, daily or hourly. Seriously, you could make a good amount of money.

He hasn't "arrived", as in finally lived up to his potential as a .275/.325/.475 type of hitter, but I've certainly adjusted my expectations for Gomez slightly upward. He's hit about .240/.300/.400 in ~700 PA's since arriving in Milwaukee, and going forward it wouldn't surprise me if he hit something like .250/.300/.425.

Add to that elite defense in CF and I don't mind the idea of using him as an everyday starter next season.

Put me in the just over 50% on believer category. The growth trend in the overall stat line has been there over the last three years, performing well enough to get out of the platoon leads me to think most of that growth is real skill growth. Not the second coming or anything, but a nice little player and a serious threat to make everyone of those threads mentioning the Hardy trade go into the Brewerfan hall of shame.

I am totally on board. People are overrating his fielding and baserunning, but underrating his emergence as an everyday hitter. I would not want to throw a contract at Gomez right this second, though if he continues to improve like he has over the course of his Brewer days, I think they should try and lock him up for a few years. There is little harm in offering Gomez 4/25 if he finishes with a .260/.310/.460. It'd be insane for him to say no to that and it will allow him another shot at a bigger contract at age ~30.

I would commit to him as my every day CF in 2013, with Logan Schafer getting some time at CF vs RHP, but not a straight platoon.

That is what I too would like to see.

Yep, that's also what i'd do. Unless some team in the offseason made an offer for Gomez which i just couldn't turn down, i'd bring him back next year as the main starter in CF, while giving Schafer around 2 starts a week. Of course if either of the two played so well or poorly, that start ratio could be modified. Then Carlos walk and hopefully Schafer showed enough to take over in 2014.

Speaking of Gomez, i can't remember the last Brewers player where i went from as strongly disliking to now him being one of my favorite players on the team. His lack of plate discipline is still frustrating, but other than that he's such a fun guy to watch play, he always plays really hard, and his personality is fabulous.

There is little harm in offering Gomez 4/25 if he finishes with a .260/.310/.460.

You mean other than him regressing and the contract turning into an albatross?

As someone noted, even if his bat completely disappears he still has value as a plus-fielder and a baserunner. I think that scenario is improbable anyway given his career arc thus far. To me, it's worth the "risk" at 6.25m a pop.

Also, his plate discipline has improved. I doubt many realize that he strikes out at the same rate (19.6%) as Ryan Braun in 2012. His walk rate will likely never come around, but it won't matter as much if keeps slugging the ball rather than trying to be a contact hitter/speedster that everyone wants him to be.

There is little harm in offering Gomez 4/25 if he finishes with a .260/.310/.460.

You mean other than him regressing and the contract turning into an albatross?

As someone noted, even if his bat completely disappears he still has value as a plus-fielder and a baserunner. I think that scenario is improbable anyway given his career arc thus far. To me, it's worth the "risk" at 6.25m a pop.

Gomez looks to be a .300/.410 kind of guy, with great defense. I'd be find with 4/$25 mil.

I don't see any scenario where Milwaukee extends him. Boras clients nearly always go to free agency. I don't see him re-signing with the Brewers.

With that said, he's 26. I believe that he will perform at this level for a few more years. I guess I would trade him this off-season due to our OF options.

Sell high on Gomez this offseason. As has been noted many times in this thread & elsewhere, Gomez is a Boras client, and Boras clients don't sign reasonable contract extensions. Find a GM (or two or three) that is sold on his bat in the offseason, & flip him for the best return.

If Boras wasn't his agent, I'd be all about a 4/$30-ish type contract extension.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived