Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Tue. 8/7 -- Helena's best game of season; Manatees drop a heartbreaker

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tuesday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Nashville: RHP Tyler Thornburg at Sacramento (Athletics), 8:50 PM pre-game, 9:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Jeff Hem is the new play-by-play voice of the Sounds; follow him on Twitter @jeffhempbp; we'll link to his blog updates at On the Air…and Off

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Nashville games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $39.99 season-long package ($9.99 to pay for a single month). We imagine the audio feed is from the home team. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

Huntsville: RHP Jimmy Nelson at home vs. Pensacola (Reds), 6:28 PM pre-game, 6:43 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Huntsville feed from the MiLB main audio page

Alex Cohen is the new play-by-play voice of the Stars; follow him on Twitter @alexmcohen. It's fantastic that Huntsville is returning to what will be a traditional broadcast format this year. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast.

MiLB.TV subsciption note: Huntsville road games in four locales (Mississippi, Tennessee, Jacksonville and Pensacola) will be broadcast.

Brevard County: RHP Taylor Jungmann at home vs. Dunedin (Blue Jays), 5:35 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Tampa feed from the MiLB main audio page

Once again this season, Brevard does not have its own audio coverage. It appears two teams in the Manatees North Division (within which the majority of games are played) have audio, and all six teams in the South Division have audio (at least for their home games), so there will be opportunities to listen to approx. 70% or Brevard's games this season, just all from the opponent's perspective. There are no Florida State League games on MiLB.TV this year.

Wisconsin: RHP Eric Semmelhack at Beloit (Twins), 6:40 PM pre-game, 7:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link - 1280 AM WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; Wisconsin is one of only two (Great Lakes) Midwest League clubs that have all their home games available via MiLB.TV; Chris' call provides the audio. So for the $39.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sounds games, all Timber Rattlers home games, and Stars' road games from four Southern League locales, plus one July Helena series (11th-13th).

Helena: LHP Taylor Wall at home vs. Missoula (Reds), 7:50 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Helena feed from the MiLB main audio page

We're lucky to have Steve Wendt back on board for another H-Crew season.

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at the Dodgers' complex in Glendale; 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at home vs. the DSL Tigers, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until late afternoon at the earliest

Brewer Fanatic Staff

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League North Division

High-A - Florida State League North Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Rookie Advanced - Pioneer League North Division

Rookie - Arizona Summer League

DSL - Dominican Summer League San Pedro de Macoris Division

NOTE: AAA Nashville, Rookie Maryvale and the DSL do not play a split schedule. When you click on a standings link for Huntsville, Brevard County, Wisconsin, and/or Helena, you'll then be able to choose 1st half and/or overall standings in addition to the current 2nd half standings.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

DVR ALERT!

As we like to do, here's some notice for you.

This Thursday August 9th, Time Warner Cable Sports 32 TV will broadcast the Rattlers home game vs. Cedar Rapids (Athletics) at 7:05 PM. Shaun Marcum (rehab stint) is the scheduled starter.

The big leaguers are idle Thursday.

Nelson had a pretty decent outing & was lifted after the 5th inning & 77 pitches. He threw roughly 50 TP in his first start back, 65 in his second, so roughly 80 seems like a fairly linear pattern. Hopefully he's off of strict pitch counts heading forward.

Meanwhile, Pensacola starter Wirfin Obispo flat-out dominated the Stars' offense tonight. Lawdy lawd do the Reds have some pitching. Obispo's been a RP/SP hybrid this season.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Final: DSL Brewers 3, DSL Tigers 2 (5 innings)

DSL Brewers Box Score

In the past rain shortened games got under my skin but this year given what the farmers in southern WI and throughout the Midwest are dealing with it can rain all it freaking wants, and soon...

So, I just happened to be texting my friend about the whizzinator (he's been the trainer at the HS for years now), we were joking back and forth about some of our "athletes" and their off season training regimen even though I'm not coaching this season. Then I looked at this box score and now I can't get "Rizzinator" out of my head, and it's all TLB's fault! At least I didn't get a Disney character stuck in my head... and no I'm not suggesting that as a nickname, just saying damn you TLB! :tongue

So if you haven't figured it out Gian Rizzo was the starter and was flat out dominant allowing 1 baserunner (single) until the 5th when somehow those weasels from the Tigers managed to string together 4 singles in a row to score 2 runs. I'm going to blame the inclement weather, just because I can. Gian also walked 1 and struck out 6 in his "complete game". I'm going to keep an eye on Hot Sheet chats and next time Ben Badler is up for the chat I'll see if I can get some information on Rizzo and Ortega.

With such a short contest no Brewers had a multi-hit game but Juan De Leon did double. Apparently the Tigers' battery is inept at holding runners because the Brewers did this in just 4 innings since they didn't even play the bottom of the 5th:

BASERUNNING

SB: Dicent, Js (4, 2nd base off Chavez/Rodriguez, S), Belonis 2 (23, 2nd base off Chavez/Rodriguez, S, 2nd base off Chavez/Rodriguez, S), Mendoza, A (11, home off Chavez/Rodriguez, S), Santana, Y (5, 2nd base off Chavez/Rodriguez, S).

Alejandro Mendoza let me just say that stealing home is awesome and quite possibly my favorite event in a baseball game!

DSL Brewers Play By Play

Rizzo's 5th, I claim shenanigans.

DSL Tigers Top of the 5th

• Sandy Acevedo flies out to left fielder Elvis Rubio.
    Omar Oses singles on a fly ball to right fielder Yunior Santana.
    Sandy Rodriguez singles on a fly ball to right fielder Yunior Santana. Omar Oses to 2nd.
    Anderson Yance singles on a fly ball to left fielder Elvis Rubio. Omar Oses to 3rd. Sandy Rodriguez to 2nd.
    Albertin Chavez singles on a ground ball to center fielder Juan Ortiz. Omar Oses scores. Sandy Rodriguez scores. Anderson Yance to 2nd.
    Francisco Contreras called out on strikes.
    Yerison Pena flies out to left fielder Elvis Rubio.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

So, I just happened to be texting my friend about the whizzinator (he's been the trainer at the HS for years now), we were joking back and forth about some of our "athletes" and their off season training regimen even though I'm not coaching this season. Then I looked at this box score and now I can't get "Rizzinator" out of my head, and it's all TLB's fault! At least I didn't get a Disney character stuck in my head... and no I'm not suggesting that as a nickname, just saying damn you TLB! :tongue

I do what I can

http://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwiki.org/02/2/9/3/49715582232099317.jpg

Final: Wisconsin 4, Beloit 10

Snappers rout Rattlers

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

BELOIT, WI - The Beloit Snappers beat the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers 10-4 Tuesday night at Pohlman Field. Eddie Rosario hit a homer and drove in four runs for the Snappers. Beloit scored in all but two innings as they topped Wisconsin for the third game in a row.

Beloit (61-53 overall, 22-22 second half) grabbed a 2-0 lead in the first inning. Nate Roberts doubled and JD Williams dropped a bunt single to put runners on the corners with no outs. Rosario's sacrifice fly got Roberts home. A two-out single by Kennys Vargas drove in Williams.

The Rattlers (65-48, 21-23) got a run in the top of the second inning. Greg Hopkins doubled to start the inning. An error on a sacrifice bunt by Carlos George put runners on second and third. Rafael Neda drew a walk to load the bases with no outs. Wisconsin got a run when Adrian Williams hit into a 4-3 double play.

Beloit scored a run in the bottom of the second inning on a double steal as Stephen Wickens scored from third after Roberts drew a throw as he stole second base.

The Rattlers got another run in the third inning. Brandon Macias doubled and took third on a single by Cameron Garfield. Nick Ramirez singled to right to drive in Macias and make the score 4-2.

Beloit started to pull away in the third inning. Rosario hit a homer to start the frame. In the fourth, Rosario would knock in Roberts with a single. Miguel Sano followed with an RBI triple. In the fifth, Tyler Grimes drove in a run with a two-out single. Roberts followed with an RBI triple and would score on an error to make the score 9-2 in favor of the Snappers.

Wisconsin's defense held Beloit off the scoreboard in the sixth inning, but an RBI grounder by Rosario in the seventh made it 10-2. The RBI was the fourth of the night for Rosario.

Eric Semmelhack pitched the first four innings for Wisconsin and allowed six runs on ten hits. He would be charged with the loss. Maverick Lasker worked the final four innings and allowed four runs (two earned).

Chadwin Stang extended his hitting streak to 19 games with a single in the fourth inning. He picked up his second hit of the night in the ninth inning. His RBI double scored Williams. Stang would score on an odd play as Beloit reliever Corey Kimes got a strike out on a pitch in the dirt for the apparent final out of the inning. But, the routine throw to first was wild and Stang crossed the plate to account for the final run of the game.

Wisconsin had ten hits and Beloit committed three errors. But, the Timber Rattlers stranded eleven runners on base as they went 2-for-15 with runners in scoring position in the game.

The Timber Rattlers return to Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium to start a series with the Cedar Rapids Kernels on Wednesday night. Jacob Barnes (4-4, 3.05) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Cedar Rapids sends Eswarlin Jimenez (5-4, 3.94) to the mound. Game time is 7:05pm.

Wednesday is Thrivent Financial for Lutherans Night with a special Wednesday night fireworks show after the game. Plus, $1 Cher-Make hot dogs, $1 Pepsi Products, and $1 Miller Beers are available for everyone as part of 105.7 WAPL Bang for your Buck Night with soda, hot dogs, and beer available for $1.

If you can't make it to the ballpark, tune in for the broadcast on AM1280, WNAM or timberrattlers.com starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 6:45pm. Wednesday's game is also available to subscribers of MiLB.TV.

HOME RUN:

BEL:

Eddie Rosario (8th, 0 on in 3rd inning off Eric Semmelhack, 0 out)

WP: Tyler Jones (3-4)

LP: Eric Semmelhack (1-1)

TIME: 3:07

ATTN: 1,333

Wisconsin Box Score

Rough night in Beloit for Rattlers pitching. Eric Semmelhack gave up ten hits and six earned runs over four innings. Maverick Lasker pitched in relief of Semmelhack and allowed four runs in four innings, though only two of Lasker's runs were earned following errors by Nick Ramirez and Greg Hopkins.

The offense pounded out 10 hits but only two of those went for extra bases. Chadwin Stang went 2-5 with a double out of the leadoff spot. His hitting streak is now at 19 games. Cameron Garfield went 2-4 with a walk as the DH. Nick Ramirez also had two hits and knocked in a run. Adrian Williams was on base three times with a single and a pair of walks. Brandon Macias was 1-4 with a double and a walk.

Wisconsin Play By Play

The Rattlers had bases loaded with nobody out in the second but managed only one run.

Wisconsin Top of the 2nd

Gregory Hopkins singles on a ground ball to left fielder Drew Leachman.

Carlos George hits a sacrifice bunt. Missed catch error by first baseman Kennys Vargas, assist to pitcher Tyler Jones. Gregory Hopkins to 3rd. Carlos George to 1st.

Rafael Neda walks. Carlos George to 2nd.

Adrian Williams grounds into a double play, second baseman Eddie Rosario to first baseman Kennys Vargas. Gregory Hopkins scores. Carlos George to 3rd. Rafael Neda out at 2nd.

Chadwin Stang strikes out swinging.

Pensacola 6, @Huntsville 1

Huntsville Box

Jimmy Nelson was dominant in his first 3 IP, but struggled in the 4th & 5th, allowing all three hits of his outing... and all of those hits were XBH. It could've been a case of Nelson tiring (maybe leaving his sinker up?), as this was just his third start back from injury and his longest pitch count leash to boot. Final line: 5 IP, 3 H, 3 R/2 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, 6:4 GO:AO, 77 TP.

Dan Merklinger came on in relief of Nelson to start the 6th, and was promptly sent packing thanks to a sequence of BB-BB-HR. R.J. Seidel came in and worked out of the 6th, pitching around a one-out 2B; Seidel was also able to work around a single in the 7th and another double in the 8th to post three scoreless frames of relief work. Evan Anundsen allowed a pair of two-out 1Bs in the 9th, but also tossed a scoreless inning in the 9th.

Huntsville didn't notch their first hit until a two-out 1B in the 4th from Hunter Morris (1-4). In the 6th, they got back-to-back two out singles from Scooter Gennett (2-4, RBI; third straight two-hit game) and Brock Kjeldgaard (1-3, BB), but Morris wasn't able to keep the inning alive. The Stars scored their only run in the 8th, after Josh Prince (1-4, 2B) doubled and was singled home by Gennett.

Kentrail Davis was 1-4 on the game. Andy Gonzalez went 0-2 with 2 BB. Anderson De La Rosa and Hainley Statia both were 0-4. Each of Lee Haydel, Domnit Bolivar, and T.J. Mittelstaedt went hitless in single PH appearances.

Billy Hamilton added another SB tonight; his season total is up to 128.

Hunstville PbP

The only scoring for the Stars:

Huntsville Bottom of the 8th

-Pitching Change: Wilkin De La Rosa replaces Wirfin Obispo, batting 9th, replacing Bryson Smith.

-Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Domnit Bolivar replaces R. J. Seidel.

-Domnit Bolivar strikes out on a foul tip.

-Josh Prince doubles (24) on a sharp ground ball to left fielder Andrew Means.

-Hainley Statia grounds out, first baseman Donald Lutz to pitcher Wilkin De La Rosa. Josh Prince to 3rd.

-Scooter Gennett singles on a ground ball to center fielder Ryan LaMarre. Josh Prince scores.

-Pitching Change: Curtis Partch replaces Wilkin De La Rosa, batting 9th.

-Brock Kjeldgaard walks. Scooter Gennett to 2nd.

-Hunter Morris pops out to third baseman David Vidal.

Huntsville Gameday

Dunedin 3 Brevard County 2 F/12

Box Score

Some good things in this tough loss. First Taylor Jungmann was fantastic. 6 IP 4 H 1 R 1 ER 2 BB 4 K 2 HBP 7:3 GO:FO. That is two gems in a row now for Taylor as he continues his solid but unspectacular 2012 season. The thing that should excite you is Taylor could be poised for a Jimmy Nelson-like breakout in 2013. Finish strong, like Nelson did last year, and that just might happen. Greg Holle continued the strong worm burning with a 5:0 GO:FO over 2 scoreless innings. Casey Medlen blew the save and Alan Williams took the loss. Check the game log and you will see it was clearly a strange way to lose.

At the plate, not much was cooking. There was one hitter in the kitchen as Franklin Romero Jr (4-6 2B 2 SB) continues his strong play (7-23) since his return from injury. Nick Shaw (2-6 2B) was the only other multi-hitter. The 3-5 hitters (Jason Rogers, Mike Walker and Shea Vucinich) combined to walk 7 times along with a lone 1B from Rogers.

Game Log

This might be the craziest 1-run inning I have ever seen. It was also the deciding run in the 12th inning.

Dunedin Top of the 12th

Dunedin Blue Jays pitcher Frank Gailey ejected by HP umpire Mario Seneca.

Kenny Wilson singles on a ground ball to shortstop Nick Shaw.

Jonathan Jones reaches on a force attempt, throwing error by second baseman Shea Vucinich. Kenny Wilson to 2nd.

Kevin Pillar hits a sacrifice bunt. Throwing error by pitcher Alan Williams. Kenny Wilson to 3rd. Jonathan Jones to 2nd. Kevin Pillar to 1st.

Jon Talley singles on a line drive to left fielder John Dishon. Kenny Wilson scores. Jonathan Jones to 3rd. Kevin Pillar to 2nd.

Pierce Rankin called out on strikes.

Kevin Ahrens strikes out swinging.

Oliver Dominguez pops out to first baseman Jason Rogers.

Helena 7 Missoula (D'Backs) 0

Weak Missoula Game Story

Box Score

This one is on the short list of most well-played Helena Brewers games this season.

Tremendous pitching goes first tonight with Taylor Wall and Martin Viramontes combining for the shutout. Together, they pitched 9 innings allowing 5 H 0 R 3 BB 9 K with a ridic 14:0 GO:FO. This was Wall's longest outing by far (6 IP). I kind of had to double-take his season line, as it was much better then I expected. Lot's of K's and a manageable amount of walks for the 6'2" 190 lb LHP. Viramontes had his good stuff as he K'ed 5 in 3 IP for a long save.

At the plate, Helena sprayed out 14 hits. If you can say one thing about this team, it's that they like to hack at it. Ruben Ozuna (2-4 HR BB), Chris McFarland (3-5 2B), Adam Giacalone (2-4), Emmanuel Quiles (2-3 2B BB), Michael Reed (2-4 SB (10)) and Michael Turay (2-4 HR) all had multi-hit games. Ozuna homered on the 1st pitch in the bottom of the 1st inning.

The D registered a clean sheet, including 4 turned double plays. That is sick. Well done guys!

Game Log

Wow, 0 fly outs for the away team. That is incredible to me.

Brevard edged in 12 innings by Jays

08/07/2012 11:55 PM ET

By Frank Longobardo / Brevard County Manatees

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/08/08/YhjsTteX.jpg

Manatees right fielder Franklin Romero Jr. was 4-for-6 with a double, RBI, and two stolen bases in Brevard County's 3-2 loss in 12 innings to the Dunedin Blue Jays on Tuesday night. (Dennis Greenblatt/Hawk-Eye Sports Photography)

VIERA, Fla. - The Brevard County Manatees were one out away from victory until the Dunedin Blue Jays tied the game in the top of the ninth and eventually defeated the 'Tees 3-2 in 12 innings on Tuesday night at Space Coast Stadium, to open up a three-game series.

With a 2-1 lead heading into the ninth, Brevard (24-21 second half, 53-60 overall) called on Casey Medlen to close out the game. Jack Murphy and Kevin Ahrens led off the inning with back-to-back singles, to put two runners on for Dunedin (23-22, 65-47) with no outs.

After Oliver Dominguez sacrificed the runners over, Marcus Knecht was intentionally walked to load the bases and set up the double play. Jon Berti would make sure that didn't happen as he sailed a fly ball to right for the second out, but it was far enough to allow pinch runner Justin Jackson to score and tie the game. Medlen would punch out Kenny Wilson to end the inning and send the game to the bottom of the ninth tied 2-2.

The Manatees went down in order in the bottom of the ninth and the Blue Jays were unable to muster a run in the top of the tenth as the 'Tees now had another chance to win it. Shea Vucinich led the frame off with a walk and then Parker Berberet attempted the sacrifice bunt and was successful and able to reach base himself thanks to a throwing error by pitcher Frank Gailey.

Now with runners on first and second with no outs, John Dishon laid down a perfect sacrifice bunt to put runners at second and third with one out and the winning run 90 feet from home plate. That run would not score however as both Juan Sanchez and Franklin Romero Jr. struck out swinging to end the threat and the inning.

Alan Williams relieved Medlen in the 11th and retired Dunedin in order to give Brevard another chance for the win. A one-out single by Nick Shaw and then a walk by Jason Rogers put two runners on for Mike Walker. Walker was able to move the runners over on a ground out to third to again put the winning run 90 feet from home plate. Vucinich was then intentionally walked to set up a force at any base and then Berberet, who was ahead 3-0 in the count, would end up in a full count and ground out to second to end another 'Tees threat. So close.

Williams came out for his second inning of work and allowed a lead-off single to Wilson and then Jonathan Jones reached on a throwing error by Vucinich to put runners on first and second with no outs. Kevin Pillar then laid down a successful sacrifice bunt and would reach first as well thanks to a throwing error by Williams, as the bases were now loaded. Jon Talley then singled to left to plate Wilson and give Dunedin a 3-2 lead. Williams would then retire the side and give the Manatees one last chance to keep the game going.

Blue Jays closer Danny Barnes had other ideas as he pitched around a two-out single by Romero Jr. and was able to close out the game for Dunedin as the Manatees dropped the first game of a six-game homestand.

Brevard County had a 2-0 lead early, thanks to a two-out RBI double by Nick Shaw in the third and a two-out RBI double by Romero Jr. in the fourth. Manatees starting pitcher Taylor Jungmann (9-6, 3.69) gave up his only run of the evening on a RBI ground-rule double by Talley in the top of the sixth.

Jungmann was unable to win his tenth game of the year as he did not factor into the decision. He yielded four hits in six innings of work and walked two, while striking out four. The 2011 first round pick has now allowed just one run in his last 13 innings of work over his last two starts.

Offensively, Romero Jr. recorded four hits on the night, which marked his first four-hit game since July 18, 2010 with Helena.

Brevard County will look to snap Dunedin's five-game winning streak as the two teams meet again on Wednesday night at 6:35 p.m.

Brandon Williamson (2-9, 6.62) will take the mound for the Manatees and is looking for his first victory since July 14. He has a 7.01 ERA in seven second half starts.

Casey Lawrence (7-5, 3.63) will get the ball for the Blue Jays. He is 5-2 with a 2.49 ERA in ten road starts this season.

AZL Dodgers 10 AZL Brewers 9

Box Score

A furious comeback falls short for Baby Brewers.

Josh Butler continues his rehab with 2 uneven innings tonight. He gave up a homer to a pretty nice prospect in Alex Santana. Danny Keller came on in the 3rd and he continues to get lit up. He got some GB's at least. Keller gave up a homer to super prospect Yasiel Puig. 2012 3rd rounder, Zachary Quintana, threw 2 pretty unspectacular innings to pitch the Butler and Keller efforts. Quintana has had some very nice starts, so just consider this a bump.

At the plate, Dustin Houle (3-4) had his best game in quite some time. Edgardo Rivera (2-5 2B) keeps hitting. I did kind of expect more SB's from him but 5-6 in 17 games is nothing to scoff at. Clint Coulter went 0-4 with a BB, but he did manage to score 3 times and steal a base. Renaldo Jenkins (2-4 3B) hit a nice 3B. Malcom Dowell (0-2 2 BB 2 SB) was a tough out and a pest on the bases. Jalen Harris was back at the hot corner for the 1st time since July 14th. He is an interesting guy if he can stay healthy.

Houle allowed his 12 PB and Jenkins committed his 10th error.

Game Log

Ortega is scuffling a bit.

AZL Brewers Top of the 9th

Pitching Change: Ricky Perez replaces Samuel Taveras.

Renaldo Jenkins triples (2) on a line drive to right fielder Noel Cuevas.

Malcolm Dowell grounds out, shortstop Jesmuel Valentin to first baseman Paul Hoenecke. Renaldo Jenkins scores.

Edgardo Rivera doubles (4) on a ground ball to left fielder Cory Embree.

With Clint Coulter batting, wild pitch by Ricky Perez, Edgardo Rivera to 3rd.

Clint Coulter walks.

Jose Pena out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Gregory Pena. Edgardo Rivera scores.

Alan Sharkey walks. Clint Coulter to 2nd.

Dustin Houle singles on a line drive to left fielder Cory Embree. Clint Coulter scores. Alan Sharkey to 3rd.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-runner Dionis Hinojosa replaces Dustin Houle.

Jalen Harris singles on a fly ball to right fielder Noel Cuevas. Alan Sharkey scores. Dionis Hinojosa to 3rd.

Angel Ortega called out on strikes.

Nashville Wins Again In Dramatic Fashion, 5-4 In Sacramento

Sounds Have Scored The Winning Run In Their Final At-Bat In Four Of The Last Six Wins

WEST SACRMENTO, Calif. - Outfielder Logan Schafer scored on a wild pitch in the top of the ninth inning to give the Nashville Sounds a 5-4 victory over the Sacramento River Cats on Tuesday night at Raley Field.

· AUDIO: Schafer Scores Winning Run

Schafer, who collected two hits in his first game since being activated from the disabled list, previously reached on a triple to center field in the ninth and scored with two outs on Merkin Valdez's wild pitch during the Edwin Maysonet at-bat.

Robert Wooten worked around an inning-opening single for a scoreless ninth to collect his third save of the season.

Eighteen of Nashville's 53 victories this season have come when the Sounds score the winning run in their final turn at the plate, which has been the case in four of the club's last six wins.

Designated hitter Jordan Brown had two hits for his team-leading 27th multiple-hit effort. Shortstop Jeff Bianchi homered for the second consecutive night.

Sounds starting pitcher Tyler Thornburg was charged with two early runs over a 33-pitch first inning, as Sacramento jumped out to a 2-0 advantage. Leadoff hitter Jermaine Mitchell worked a five-pitch walk and proceeded to score on the following play as Grant Green crushed a double to center. Josh Donaldson followed with an RBI single to left.

Sacramento starter Tyson Ross was cruising until the Sounds were able to plate three runs in the sixth and take a 3-2 lead. Third baseman Edwin Maysonet began the rally with a high-bouncing double down the third base line and later scored on an infield single from second baseman Eric Farris.

After Jordan Brown's second hit of the game moved to Farris into scoring position, a groundout from first baseman Taylor Green moved up both runners up, outfielder Khris Davis smashed a two-run single up the middle to give Nashville a 3-2 advantage.

· AUDIO: Khris Davis Two-Run Single

Bianchi went deep for the second consecutive game to extend the Sounds' lead to 4-2 in the next inning off Arnold Leon. Bianchi's third home run of the season also extended his hitting streak to a season-best seven games.

· AUDIO: Jeff Bianchi Homer

The River Cats got both runs back over the next two innings to tie the game at 4-4. Shane Peterson singled off reliever Mitch Stetter and scored two batters later on a RBI triple from Mitchell in the seventh.

Designated hitter Kila Ka'aihue opened the eighth with a double and was pinch run for by Wes Timmons, who moved to third on a wild pitch and scored on a RBI single Daric Barton.

Thornburg settled in after a rough first inning to keep the River Cats scoreless over the next four frames in a no-decision. The 23-year-old also fanned six while walking five in five innings of work.

Tim Dillard pitched a scoreless inning. Stetter was charged with a run in 1/3 of an inning. Jesus Sanchez (3-0) gave up one run on two hits in 1 2/3 innings for the victory.

Ross fanned seven over six innings while allowing three runs in a quality start no-decision. Valdez (0-1) took the loss.

The Sounds and River Cats wrap up their four-game season series with a 2:05 pm CT afternoon finale on Wednesday at Raley Field. Nashville righty Hiram Burgos (0-1, 7.84) will toe the rubber in the finale against Sacramento right-hander Bruce Billings (7-4, 3.67).

Nashville Box Score

I feel like I've been posting the same thing about Tyler Thornburg starts for about 4 months, probably because I have, as I'm beginning to get concerned, but once again walks and XBHs where Thornburg's Achilles Heel. At least tonight he limited the opposition to just one XBH, but as you read above a walk, an XBH, then a single and he's given up 2 runs. If not for a WP, Jesus Sanchez might not have given up that run.

All of the hitting and run scoring was covered in the game story.

Nashville Play By Play

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The Cubs also have a Peralta, which stinks, video at the link.

Peralta fans 14 in perfect-game bid

Peoria righty retires first 17 in order before giving up home run

By Robert Emrich / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/08/07/qjbZYrwJ.jpg

Starlin Peralta faced two over the minimum for Peoria on Tuesday. (Paul R. Gierhart/MiLB.com)

What's more impressive than racking up a high strikeout total? Racking up a high strikeout total when you're not even trying.

Starlin Peralta retired the first 17 batters in order and struck out a career-high 14 batters over seven innings as Class A Peoria defeated Clinton, 5-3, on Tuesday.

Signed by the Cubs as a non-drafted free agent on May 8, 2008, Peralta saw his perfect-game and no-hit bids broken up on the same pitch when he yielded a solo homer to Anthony Phillips with two outs in the sixth inning. The 21-year-old right-hander allowed a single to Jamaal Austin to open the seventh, but finished by fanning the final three batters he faced.

"His stuff has always been good," pitching coach Ron Villone said. "He had command, he had control of his fastball and slider, and he mixed in the occasional changeup. He can move his fastball in and out and his slider in and out."

Remarkably, Peralta needed just 92 pitches to earn his fourth victory for the Chiefs. According to Villone, the Dominican native got first-pitch strikes against 14 of the 23 batters he faced. Villone attributed Peralta's success to keeping the ball down and not looking for the strikeout.

"He wasn't trying to strike anyone out, he was trying to get ground balls," the former Major Leaguer said. "I think when you have someone who has a plus arm -- he was sitting in the mid-90s -- when you have that and a little bit of movement, when he starts taking control of that and using the soft stuff properly, the sky is the limit."

Peralta, who set a Peoria Chiefs stadium record with his strikeout total, is 4-7 with a 3.17 ERA in 15 outings for the Chiefs. Not surprisingly, Tuesday's outing was his best of the season.

"Once or twice early in the season, we had some flashes of him progressing," Villone said. "He's been working hard, keeping the ball down, pitching with good extension, understanding that he is in charge. He put it all together tonight. He had a great tempo. He looked the same on each pitch.

"He keeps his pitches down and he has a lot of movement. His fastball is like a hard, heavy sinker, and it got better as it went on. Guys started chasing pitches. It was great to see him take control of the zone. When you start putting guys away, it's the power stuff. He had control over the power stuff."

Bryce Shafer allowed two runs on three hits while recording two outs, and Larry Suarez recorded the final four outs of the game for his first save for the Chiefs.

Zeke DeVoss was 4-for-4 with four runs scored and finished a homer shy of the cycle while Chadd Krist drove in a pair of runs for Peoria .

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers pitching bulldozes through Osprey

Helena Brewers

The Brewers took charge from the offset on Tuesday evening when after a 1-2-3 top of the first, left fielder Ruben Ozuna blasted the first pitch of the bottom half of the inning over the center field fence at Kindrick Legion Field. In the end, the score stood 7-0 and the Brewers earned their first shutout victory of the season.

After clubbing 29 hits in the last two games, the Brewers recorded 14 more on Tuesday evening. Seven of the nine Brewers hitters reached base in the first game of the three game set and six Brewers hitters recorded multi-hit performances.

Ozuna entered the contest batting .289 on the season, but .357 in 28 at bats against the Osprey. The Santo Domingo native continued to have Missoula's number on Tuesday going 2-for-4 with a home run and 1 walk. The showing raised Ozuna's season batting average to .297.

The Brewers received their second home run of the evening from catcher Michael Turay, who hit his second dinger of the season in the bottom of the fourth. The home run pushed the Brewers lead to 3-0 and the team never looked back.

On the mound the Brewers pitching staff was spectacular. Lefty Taylor Wall was lights out in his second consecutive start going six innings while allowing no runs and just three hits. The start pushed Wall's scoreless streak to nine consecutive innings and dropped his ERA to 3.19. The win improved his record to 2-1.

Reliever Martin Viramontes shut the door in the final three innings throwing three scoreless frames. The former USC Trojan's five strikeout performance secured the first save of his professional career and dropped his ERA to 9.33.

The Brewers will head on the Missoula Osprey for game two of the three game series at Kindrick Legion Field tomorrow night. First pitch is slated for 7:05 PM (8:05 Central).

Ruben Ozuna homered on the first Missoula pitch of the game on Tuesday. (Sleeping Giant Photography)

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/08/08/XMGZ8bvQ.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wall leads Brewers to first shutout this season

By Amber Kuehn, Helena Independent Record

Fourteen hits, four double plays, zero runs allowed.

How’s that for a win?

“We’re on a roll, aren’t we?” Helena Brewers manager Jeff Isom chuckled after his team’s 7-0 victory Tuesday over second-place Missoula.

Taylor Wall and Martin Viramontes combined for a five-hit shutout, the first by the Brewers’ pitching staff this season. Viramontes struck out the side in the ninth, stranding Breland Almadova 90 feet from home, and Helena’s bats were back at it 24 hours after pounding out a season-high 18 hits.

“All together we’re playing a lot better this second half,” said Brewers second baseman Chris McFarland, who finished with three hits for the second straight game. “I’ve been spending some extra time in the cage with (hitting coach) Don Money. It’s helped a lot, and I credit him for that.”

All it took was one pitch from Osprey starter Karl Triana for Helena to get on the board. Ruben Ozuna sent the first offering sailing over the Kindrick Legion Field fence to give the Brewers a 1-0 lead, and an RBI single from Emmanuel Quiles scored McFarland from second to make it 2-0 before the first inning was over.

With Missoula at the plate, Wall was in the zone. He fanned four and walked two before being relieved by Viramontes, who picked up his first save of the season.

“The main thing has just been throwing strikes, getting ahead of guys — that’s the number one goal,” Wall said after allowing just three hits in six innings. “From there, establishing both sides of the plate, mixing pitches and keeping hitters off balance. I think we did a nice job of that tonight, and the defense behind me was great.”

In what Isom referred to as the Brewers’ most complete game of the season, Helena played errorless baseball and turned a season-best four double plays. Despite getting their leadoff man aboard four straight innings, the Osprey failed to do anything with it.

McFarland attributed the Brewers’ sudden surge to balance and a different practice mentality.

“Sometimes you have to balance yourself because it’s a long season,” he said. “Sometimes you have to take less reps in the cage. … Defensively, we’re definitely on the same page. It’s about quality practices over quantity.”

Michael Turay slammed his second home run of the season in the fourth frame, a solo shot just to the left of the scoreboard that gave Helena a three-run advantage. The Brewers then doubled their lead an inning later, getting singles from McFarland and Adam Giacalone, a two-run double by Quiles and an RBI single by Michael Reed. Reed’s RBI single in the seventh provided the knockout punch in a game that was never in doubt. Helena outhit Missoula for the third night in a row.

“They always say hitting is contagious, and Giacalone’s kind of been the key guy that got things going for us,” Isom said of his .364 hitter, now among the top 10 sluggers in the Pioneer League. “Now guys are feeding off of that.”

And a pitching staff that struggled early in the year — the Brewers are last in the league in ERA — is starting to come around.

“Taylor Wall started that game off and kind of set the tone for the game,” Isom said. “He commanded three different pitches tonight … it was an outstanding performance on his part, the best we’ve seen from a pitcher for us all year. Then Viramontes comes in and gets the job done as well.

“We’ve been talking to pitchers, telling them to limit those runs they’re giving up. Tonight they did that.”

The homestand continues tonight, as Helena again takes on the Osprey at 7:05 PM (8:05 Central). Right-hander Yoimer Camacho comes to the mound for Missoula, while Ryan Gibbard gets the nod for the Brewers.

NOTES: Brewers reliever Michael White was promoted to the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on Tuesday. White, who appeared in 64 innings between the Arizona League and Helena, had been superb out of the bullpen lately. In 21 innings this season he struck out 22 and posted a 4.71 ERA. … It was Michael Perez’s birthday on Tuesday, but Missoula’s designated hitter went 0 for 4 with three strikeouts. Perez entered the game as the league leader in runs batted in (45) and slugging percentage (.622).

All photos by Dylan Brown, Helena Independent Record - Brewers pitcher Taylor Wall delivers a pitch in the second inning Tuesday night.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/helenair.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/7a/67a318a6-e0fe-11e1-bc66-001a4bcf887a/5021cae42df32.preview-620.jpg

Brewers' Ruben Ozuna celebrates with his teammates after he hit a home run in the first inning Tuesday night, while playing against Missoula.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/helenair.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/5/ac/5ace4290-e0fe-11e1-a505-001a4bcf887a/5021caceb5b82.preview-620.jpg

Brewers second baseman Chris McFarland throws the ball to first for an out against the Osprey in the second inning Tuesday afternoon.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/helenair.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/5/19/519351ac-e0fe-11e1-8bb3-001a4bcf887a/5021cabf51159.preview-620.jpg

3-D!

Taylor Wall delivers the first pitch of the evening at Kindrick Legion Field, while playing against the Missoula Osprey.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/helenair.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/65/4650e016-e0fe-11e1-856c-001a4bcf887a/5021caac46e0b.preview-620.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Audio from Sacramento — “Johnny (Doskow) On the Spot”

Jeff hem's note -- Tonight’s interview is with one of the nicest guys you could meet — Johnny Doskow, the longtime radio voice of the Sacramento River Cats (Triple-A, Oakland A’s). Pardon the cheesy pun, but earlier this season Johnny enjoyed his own “call-up,” as he filled in on A’s Radio for 34 games while the A’s lead radio voice, Ken Korach, had and recovered from a knee operation. Doskow discusses his big league opportunity, the amazing run the Oakland A’s have had this season, the remarkable success the River Cats have had (10 division titles in 12 years) and what he thinks about the Bobble-nose Doll of his likeness the River Cats gave to fans earlier this year.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdgc9fr5d7lezHhgxaQrqq61koQSJ0LV31ecfwZhDL1kRcnt4JCw

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/c0.35.309.309/p403x403/599372_10150965953998224_2030827635_n.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Stars Bats Silenced in Loss to Pensacola

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – To wrap up a five-game series and a ten-game homestand at Joe Davis Stadium, the Huntsville Stars lost to the Pensacola Blue Wahoos by a final score of 6-1 on Tuesday night.

Throughout the entire game, the Stars bats were silenced by Blue Wahoos starting pitcher Wirfin Obispo. In seven innings, Obispo shutout Huntsville, giving up just four hits while striking out eight batters to improve to 4-0 on the season. The win also improved Obispo to 2-0 against the Stars this season.

From an offense perspective, the Stars scored their only run of the ballgame in the eighth inning. Following a leadoff double by center fielder Josh Prince, Huntsville got an RBI single by Scooter Gennett off of Blue Wahoos LHP Wilkin De La Rosa. Gennett also recorded his third straight multi-hit game with a 2-for-4 night at the plate.

On the pitching side Stars starter Jimmy Nelson took the hard-pressed loss on the evening. The 23-year-old righty fell to 1-2 on the year by giving up three runs on just three hits while striking out six batters.

For Pensacola, a three-run home run by Donald Lutz and a two-run homer by catcher Tucker Barnhart highlighted their offensive attack.

Overall, the Stars won both series of their ten-game homestand and finished off with a 6-4 record.

Starting on Wednesday, the Stars will travel to Kodak, TN to begin a five-game series against the Tennessee Smokies. First pitch is at 6:15 PM.

Archived