Brewer Fanatic

Brewers call up Segura 8/6 (he started that night); Izturis to Washington on waivers

Maybe I'm just giving Melvin too much credit, but I really don't think he's looking at 2013 as an "all-in" year or a year in which he truly believes the Brewers have an excellent shot at contending from the get-go.

To beat the poker analogy to death, I think Dougie goes all-in every year, but he does on the deal and usually with a pair of number cards. He rarely waits to see what happens after a few cards then goes all in (except for 2008) and that was just a case of luck with the Brewers backing into the playiffs because of the epic fail by the mets.

As far as what Dougie thinks, he will never say the goal of the brewers is anything but going for it. Day 1 when he was hired he refused to project the Brewers path and basically stated they want to be competitive every year. Getting Greinke and Marcum was clearly an attempt to maximize the last year of Prince, you could make an argument that with 2013 the last year of Hart any majoring deLing this offseason could be another all-in argument to fans. I think his public statements are almost always an attempt to maximiza ticket sales.

I think you are ignoring a big factor in what direction the Brewers take from year to year, and that's the owner.

Sure, Melvin seems like a GM would would rather try to win now in any given year unless that is very unrealistic, but Attanasio also seems the same way. I doubt that Melvin would be allowed to go younger/cheaper if he even wanted to unless Attanasio first said that was ok.

Mark clearly loves seeing 3 million fans in Miller Park each year and he also strikes me as a highly competitive guy. So in the vast majority of seasons, he's going to want Melvin to try and put a team on the field with at least a chance to compete for a playoff berth and in kind, keep fans pouring into Miller Park. For example, i don't see any chance that he was talking to Doug and saying the team should look really hard into the trade value of Hart and/or Ramirez at the deadline.

Attanasio just doesn't seem to have in his DNA a let's punt next year in hopes of winning in 2014 attitude and thus will want Melvin to try and put a good team on the field next season, even if it costs money and maybe a prospect or two.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There wasn't any reason to have kept him in the minors until June 2013, unless you already give up on the 2013 season, which there is no reason to do.
This isn't the thread to debate it, but the Brewers will not compete next year. Not with the rotation they're going to roll out. You can only have so many xfactors. 2013 Brewers are the 2010 Brewers. Seriously.

The odds are against the Brewers being a playoff contender next year, but your absolute nature in this thread is silly for two reasons.

1. You have no idea at all right now as to what the roster will be once the season starts next year. None. All you can do is guess, that's it and you could end up being wrong about a sizable percentage of what the roster ends up looking like.

2. A bunch of baseball fans thought the Pirates were stupid to acquire Burnett and i'm 100 percent certain you didn't have them pegged to be 62-47 at this point. I highly doubt you pegged the White Sox to be in first place this late in the year. The Dodgers to be only a game out. Washington to have the best record in baseball. The Phillies 17 games back in the East. Oakland and Baltimore being 59-51, each a game back in the Wild Card chase.

Baseball is both predictable is some aspects and quite unpredictable in other ways. Hell, just look at our bullpen these last two years. So there would be nothing wrong with saying it looks like the Brewers will face some tall odds to put together a new rotation and pen next year which can be productive enough to compete for a playoff berth, but your instead absolute certain attitude that the team can't end up being good next season is simply ignoring baseball history. Not only don't you know who exactly will be on the roster come next year, every season multiple teams are either quite a bit better than expected or quite a bit worse.

Archived