Brewer Fanatic

Brewers call up Segura 8/6 (he started that night); Izturis to Washington on waivers

Well if you can't beat a team on the field you can always trade them your worst players....... Now if we could only unload Veras to the Reds, Ransom to the Pirates and Morgan to the Cardinals......

Count me in on this plan!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is said that teams put all of their players on waivers at this time of year. Perhaps the Nationals, out of necessity, claimed him without Melvin having any prior knowledge.

They are revocable waivers so Melvin could have pulled him back. Typically, the claiming team that wins (has the better waiver position) negotiates with the original team for them to let them have the player ("a trade"). If the player has a big contract, the team that waived him usually just says 'thank god' and lets the player go. I believe Alex Rios was waived by the Blue Jays with a significant amount of contract and the White Sox claimed him. The Blue Jays just said goodbye.....

Yes, he could have pulled him back, but why would he? Especially with Segura here. I haven't seen anything about a trade, so I'm guessing that Melvin just let him go.

Is it possible that Washington said "we'll take him off your hands, but we won't give up anything in return"?

Thankfully he is finally gone. Now I feel the relief that the many fans who hated YB with a passion feel when he was gone. I can only hope the miracle of receiving a waiver claim on the worst player in MLB is accepted and Melvin signs as quickly as possible for Washington notices the laughter coming from Baltimore.

Is it possible that Washington said "we'll take him off your hands, but we won't give up anything in return"?

I believe that is exactly what happened. Instead of trading a player in return they just took the salary of Izturis.

Sure. I think if the Brewers asked for something then the Nationals are free to walk so it's more likely that Melvin just let him go. It gives him a justification to call up Jean Jean the Dancing Machine.....

Ransom has a .716OPS. He's not as bad as people make him out to be.

Unless you don't mind striking out nearly half of his at bats...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

My only hope is that the youngster gets to play just about every day from here on out. If we called him up to get 3 or 4 at bats a week, and 2 or 3 innings in the field, this is an asinine move. Hate to say it, and I hope I am wrong, but I wouldn't doubt for one second that he has been called up to be Ransom's backup.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Ransom has a .716OPS. He's not as bad as people make him out to be.

He has a 641 OPS (a 70 OPS+) with the Brewers, though his defense at SS has been pretty decent. Better than I thought it would be, anyway.

Unless you don't mind striking out nearly half of his at bats...

This is overstating it a bit. He has struck out in less than 40% of his ABs this year in total, and with the Brewers.

But regardless of how good or not good he is, Ransom should not cut into a single AB of Segura's playing time. For Cody's sake, I hope a contender picks him up so he can be in a playoff race.

My only hope is that the youngster gets to play just about every day from here on out. If we called him up to get 3 or 4 at bats a week, and 2 or 3 innings in the field, this is an asinine move. Hate to say it, and I hope I am wrong, but I wouldn't doubt for one second that he has been called up to be Ransom's backup.
I am afraid of the the same thing.

Just when I decide that I have better things to do than watch a crappy Brewers team they do something like this and get me interested in watching again. Glad to see he is starting tonight and I hope at a minimum he splits starts at SS with Ransom. He hopefully will start 5 out of every 7 or so; if he lights the world on fire than obviously you play him every day.

He won't beat the 1.000 OPS he was putting up at Huntsville but he will be a nice addition. I would be pretty happy with the kid if he can put up a .725-750 OPS for the rest of the year and build on that for 2013.

Archived