Brewer Fanatic

Brewers call up Segura 8/6 (he started that night); Izturis to Washington on waivers

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melvin loves him some Yuni. Not joking. Brought it up in the Yuni DFA thread.

People keep saying Segura coming up. Doubtful.

Keep Segura down on the farm till at least June 1st of next year. Let Ransom and Bianchi or maysonet or whoever fill in at SS rest of the way.

I'm guessing that means Bianchi gets the call. Maybe he'll get more than 12 ABs this time around.

We save a couple hundred thousand and get a chance to see if Bianchi can handle SS until the Segura Era begins. And Brewer fans won't be subjected to watching Izturis on a nightly basis.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

From Rotoworld:

The Nationals have acquired Cesar Izturis from the Brewers, according to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post.

Washington desperately needed to fortify its infield depth, especially with Mark DeRosa (groin) once again fighting injuries. The 32-year-old Izturis provides zero with the bat (.235/.248/.333 this season) but is skilled and versatile with the leather. Of more fantasy interest: Milwaukee may have jettisoned Izturis to open up playing time for top prospect Jean Segura, a top prospect acquired from the Angels in the Zack Greinke trade.

Related: Nationals

Source: Adam Kilgore on Twitter

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'm as excited about Segura as anyone, but I really hope he doesn't get the call.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Keep Segura down on the farm till at least June 1st of next year. Let Ransom and Bianchi or maysonet or whoever fill in at SS rest of the way.
quoting myself to correct something...

Just noticed Segura's been in the minors since 2007 (he started in the Angels farm system at 17). He's performed at every level.

If you look at what the Angels did with Segura in their farm system from 2007 till now, it doesn't make a lot of sense. In 2009 he played 7 games at the AAA level, but then in 2010 and 2011 he went back to playing in the A and AA levels?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=segura001jea

I don't know how it would effect service time and what not, but maybe bringing Segura up now wouldn't be the worst idea after all?

Segura's the SS of the future, which should be sometime next year, but Bianchi is guy they need to evaluate for his role next season. I would think Bianchi comes up and gets splits the PT with Ransom who's also auditioning for next year utility role.

EDIT. I stand corrected. Lets hope Segura is in there virtually every day.

Tom ‏@Haudricourt

#Brewers announce they are calling up SS Jean Segura to take place of Cesar Izturis, who was claimed off waivers by Washington.

It's official

Now the discussion is....too early? good move?

How does this effect service time?

Not at all . . .

Since Segura's already seen a few days on an MLB roster, and assuming he's here 'til season's end, he'd still be FAR from qualifying as a Super-Two, so the Brewers would still have 6 years of contract control after this year and three years before he'd be arby-eligible.

I think this is a good move, because it opens the door for Segura to be the everyday SS for all of 2013 as long as he plays somewhat competently now down the stretch. So, assuming he at least treads water, it allows them to sign a cheaper/worse veteran SS for 2013 than they would have needed to had Segura been completely untested at the MLB level.

Regarding service time, correct me if I'm wrong but this doesn't change anything regarding team control unless they were going to wait to call him up until well into 2013 (which would kind of defeat the purpose of trading for the SS since we have no other SS to play the first part of 2013). He will have more service time going into 2013, but he still wont hit the 6.000 threshold until the middle of his seventh season with the Brewers

end of 2012: 0.300

end of 2013: 1.300

end of 2014: 2.300

end of 2015: 3.300 (arbitration 1)

end of 2016: 4.300 (arbitration 2)

end of 2017: 5.300 (arbitration 3)

end of 2018: 6.300 (free agent)

Segura's the SS of the future, which should be sometime next year, but Bianchi is guy they need to evaluate for his role next season. I would think Bianchi comes up and gets splits the PT with Ransom who's also auditioning for next year utility role.

That's what I thought would be a good idea.

Since Segura's already seen a few days on an MLB roster, and assuming he's here 'til season's end, he'd still be FAR from qualifying as a Super-Two, so the Brewers would still have 6 years of contract control after this year and three years before he'd be arby-eligible.

I don't know the in's-and-out's of these dealings, but if it doesn't cost us service time, I'm alright with it. If we could've waited until June of next season and got another year out of him, while seeing what Bianchi brings to the table, I'd have rather gone that route. I worry that this is kind of a PR move to attract people to the ballpark in a lost season. I also worry that it means we're "all in" next season, so we "get his feet wet" this year instead of next.

~Bill Walsh

Ransom has a .716OPS. He's not as bad as people make him out to be.

That being said, as long as bringing up Segura now doesn't make a difference on his service time, I don't see a problem with it. Like molitor fan said, if they want to determine whether they need to bring AGON back next year....if Segura shows he can handle the load, that frees up a good chunk of money for other resources next year.

I don't know the in's-and-out's of these dealings, but if it doesn't cost us service time, I'm alright with it. If we could've waited until June of next season and got another year out of him, while seeing what Bianchi brings to the table, I'd have rather gone that route. I worry that this is kind of a PR move to attract people to the ballpark in a lost season. I also worry that it means we're "all in" next season, so we "get his feet wet" this year instead of next.

They could have waited until June and kept him another year but it looks like they may want him to start the remainder of the year and be the opening day starter next year.

Archived