Brewer Fanatic

Royals DFA Yuni B.

AZBrewCrew

NO!

From rotoworld.com:

Royals designated INF Yuniesky Betancourt for assignment.

For some reason, Kansas City handed Yuni a one-year contract worth $2 million over the winter. We aren't sure if another team would have gone above a minor-league deal. The 30-year-old native of Cuba has never finished a season with an on-base percentage above .310 (.260 this year), nor an OPS better than .725 (.668), and his defense was so awful at shortstop that the Royals only played him one game at the position this year. He keeps getting opportunities, but odds are that he's signed his last major league contract.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If there's one move that would keep more people from the park, it'd be this one. Haha but boy would I laugh at people complaining over it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Sign him, Doug! At times like these, when the placement of our 2013 draft pick is at stake, we need a man of such legendary incompetence as Yuniesky Betancourt. Few others could tank the team so impressively (though Izturis is a worthy challenger).

Sign him, Doug! At times like these, when the placement of our 2013 draft pick is at stake, we need a man of such legendary incompetence as Yuniesky Betancourt. Few others could tank the team so impressively (though Izturis is a worthy challenger).

Yuni's OBP is .012 higher than Izturis'. Can we just have some fun with this and start Gomez or Morgan at SS? Maybe put Livan Hernandez out there for a few innings. Don't tell me you wouldn't watch.

This year, probably not. What's the point? We're just going through the motions at this point, trying to make it through 162 and get to next year.

In a contending year...well, still probably not. He'd just be another flavor of suck to add to our current flavors of suck, but at least our current ones offer some degree of defensive skills.

Well, I have been missing the complaining about the Brewers defense this year.

I'm sure Yuni would like to retire as a Brewer as well.

As bad as Yuni was last year, the team still won 96 games and he actually played well in the post-season. From that perspective he didn't really cost them. However, as pointed out in another thread...sure would have been nice to do the Furcal deal.

I remember listening to an interview with Melvin in the offseason, before Alex Gonzalez was signed to the team, and he did nothing but talk up what a great SS Yuni was and how he hoped to have him back. Even the guy interviewing Melvin started to list off Yuni's downfalls (crap defense, swings at first pitch, never walks, etc) and Melvin sat there and defended him like he was sticking up for a family member.

I'd welcome Yuni back just because the team is done for the year (contention wise) and he'd provide some solid comic relief.

Sam Mellinger‏@mellinger

Had this convo w/ a #Royals exec before the season: Me: You told Yuni he'd be a backup, right? Exec: Yes, but I don't know if he believes it

LOL

Haha, that's incredibly hilarious. It's also entirely believable.

Kinda like the Brewers signing of Izturis, they went out and found the one guy worse than Yuni.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/896484/Yuni1B.gif.opt.gif

I don't know. That GIF shows Yuni actually reaching for the ball. A more classic GIF would show him jogging a few steps in the general direction of the ball, and watching it roll past him.

He scored one of the runs in that NLDS game 5. That was his offensive peak. And he was part of that unlikely double play last May or so. That was his defensive peak.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Kinda like the Brewers signing of Izturis, they went out and found the one guy worse than Yuni.

Izturis was signed as a backup that got pressed into duty. Yuni was a starter.

While Izturis is truly an awful hitter, at least he can field the position. What made Yuni so truly awful was he not only stunk at the plate, but was a horrendous fielder. His only redeeming qualities were he occassionaly ran into a few fastballs he could hit out and gave some nice high fives in the dugout.

I'd actually take Izturis...he can only hurt you in one facet of the game. Highly unlikely either are playing MLB this time next year.

That was my point, the quote was about Yuni being signed as a back up.

Izturis's d is way over rated and doesn't make up for just how truly awful his bat is. I know it is splitting hairs discussing the worst players in baseball but I'll stick to my opinion of multiple years that Izturis is the worst player in baseball. If truly bored, just Google, Izturis worst player MLB and see how many articles come up. I can't believe how many people have taken the time to prove how awful he is.

Archived