Brewer Fanatic

Are you telling me you built a time machine...out of a DeLorean??

The stache

Ok guys, I've already asked what your fondest memories are from Brewer games you've attended in the past. You have all seen some incredible things, and quite honestly, I'm jealous. I wish I could have seen even a few of them in person. And I wish I could have seen them with you guys. As I become more and more comfortable with the forum, and as I get to know some of you beyond your nicknames, I can only imagine how much fun it would have been to share these memories with you. Brewer fans are some of the most loyal, and passionate fans in sports, and that support has never really wavered through a lot of lean years. It's funny when you look at something like that....you remember just how many great things have happened to our team, even though it has never won the World Series.

Now I'd like to propose a new discussion, similar to the other one. This one will take some creativity, and a suspension of reality for a minute.

You have discovered a time machine. It can be a DeLorean if you're a sci-fi/movie freak like me :tongue ...or it can be something else. But with this time machine, you are allowed to make two trips back in time to watch baseball. You can go back and watch a game that you missed. Say you had tickets to a game, and you couldn't go because you got sick...or because your wife went into labor that night (a great night, no doubt, but if something historic happened, and you missed it, what would you give to go back and watch that game in person?)

Two rules. On one occasion when you go back in time, it must be to create a Milwaukee baseball memory. Now of course, that doesn't have to be the Brewers. The Braves had some great history, and incredible players. You could choose a game from the 1957 series against the Yankees. Or, perhaps you'd like to catch a Warren Spahn no hitter. Joe Adcock's 4 home run game in 1954? The choice is yours. Maybe you were too young to remember the Crew playing the Cardinals in the 1982 World Series, and you've always wished you could see some of it in person. How about game 1? Brewers 10-0, Yount and Molitor combined for 9 hits in the opener!

The second trip back in time can be to witness any baseball game of your choosing, and there's no limit how far back you can go. Want to see the Georgia Peach? How about checking out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig? Or perhaps Ted Williams and the Sawx against Joe DiMaggio and the Yankees in 1941 is your thing. Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series? Bobby Thompson and "the Giants win the pennant". See Clemente jumping up and down at home plate after the Pirates beat the heavily favored Yankees on Bill Mazerowski's walk off series winner. See the "Say Hey kid" make his famous over the shoulder catch in glorious color. Maybe you want to catch Kirk Gibson's improbable pinch hit home run off of Dennis Eckersley in the '88 fall classic, and cheer as he limps around the bases. You are limited only by your imagination.

So, what would you choose, everybody? And why?

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

My grandfather was a baseball fanatic who worked at the Blatz brewery and went to County Stadium to watch the Braves after work. Unfortunately, he died a young man in 1956, 24 years before I was born and just one year before the Braves won the World Series. So I would go back in time, pick him up, and travel to Game 5 of the World Series in 1957 (last game played in Milwaukee that series). And then watch Game 7 with him at a bar.
Gruber Lawffices

Brewers memory: Sabathia's CG in game 162 + postgame Mets-watching in Miller Park

Other: I want to see if Babe Ruth was really calling his shot.

Ruth's called shots was one of the first things I thought of, derflotr. :)

PBIB, I really like that. If I ever find a time machine, you get it first. Just please bring it back ;)

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I've always been somewhat fascinated by the "what if" of "what if the early Negro League stars like Oscar Charleston, Josh Gibson & Smokey Joe Williams were allowed to play in MLB?".... so I'd go back and attend one of those barnstorming tours where the Negro League All-Stars played a team of MLB stars. I'd sure like to see the time that Babe Ruth faced off against Satchell Paige or when Josh Gibson stepped up to the plate with Walter Johnson on the mound

For my 2nd game I'd set the Delorean for Milwaukee, County Stadium, October 6th, 1957, 11am CST (I'd want a little time to check out the surroundings and get to my seat) to see Game 4 of the 1957 World Series. Warren Spahn pitched 10 innings in that game and got the win, and Hank Aaron & Eddie Mathews both hit HR's. Mathews' HR was a walk off in the 10th inning after Spahn had surrendered the lead in the top of the 10th. I can only imagine the bedlam that ensued when Mathews hit that shot....

The Yankees were up 2 games to 1 at that time, and that was a huge pivotal game in that series

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I would go back to April 13, 1954 (in Cincinnati) to see the Braves lose 9-8 and some kid go 0-for-5 to start the greatest career in baseball history.

0-5? Clearly he couldn't handle the pressure of the big leagues.

For the Brewers, I'd go to the last game of 2008.

For the non-Brewers, I'm going to stray a bit, and say the 1935 Negro League East-West All Star Game at Comiskey Park. The game featured 14 Hall of Famers: Leon Day, Martin Dihigo, Biz Mackey, Ray Brown, Josh Gibson, Mule Suttles, Cool Papa Bell, Oscar Charleston, Ray Dandridge, Willie Wells, Satchel Paige, Turkey Strearnes, Buck Leonard, and Jud Wilson. The game was tied 4-4 going into the tenth, both teams scored 4 in the 10th, and Mule Suttles hit a 2-out, 3R HR in the bottom of the 11th to win the game, 11-8.

Brewers-I'd like to be at 1982 Game 5 ALCS (Coooop!) and see how it compares with 2011 NLDS Game 5 (Morgan), a game I'll never forget- perhaps best game I've ever seen.

Ever- I'd like to see 1957 Game 7 in Yankee Stadium, watching the Braves or Bushville win it all.

For Milwaukee - Hank Aaron's home run off Billy Muffett to win the 1957 pennant when he was carried off the field.

For the rest of baseball - very very tough call. I like the Negro League answers, especially Josh Gibson, who's very intriguing. I love baseball history. So many players I wish I could've seen. Christy Mathewson. Lou Gehrig. Mickey Mantle before he got hurt. Sandy Koufax in LA. Roberto Clemente. Willie Mays as a NY Giant. But my first thought is Jackie Robinson's first game.

Milwaukee: Easter Sunday 1987

Any team: October 8th, 1919 - this is the game most believed the Black Sox didn't throw where the dirty players "rebelled." I'm fascinated by their story and would've liked to see Shoeless Joe play.

This guy threw at his own son in a father son game

Brewers/Braves related:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MLN/MLN195905260.shtml

AKA: The Harvey Haddix game.

Any game, all time.... hmmm...

Game 1, 1988 World Series.

Kirk Gibson. Eckersley. 3-2 backdoor slider....

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'm going with the sentimental option for Milwaukee baseball. I would choose any random game from 1971-73 at County Stadium.

Obviously I'm going here to relive some of my childhood, which wasn't punctuated by any Brewers greatness. I'd want to order a couple of hot dogs from a vendor carrying those heavy metal boxes. I'd walk through the stadium to see how it compared to the dump that it would be at the end. Listen to Bob Betts on the PA, carry a transistor radio to get some Uecker & Merle Harmon.

The stadium was often pretty empty in those days, so I'd be certain to get a good seat, and it would be a comfortable and happy return to my youth.

For the Any moment in Baseball, I'd go with something from the early days. . .a Walter Johnson vs. Cobb & the Tigers, or maybe Ruth/Gehrig against Lefty Grove outing.

Archived