Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Fri. 8/3 - Segura continues to impress

Mass Haas

Pensacola 8, @Huntsville 5

Huntsville Box

Well Pensacola wasn't having any of this 'no-hitter' foolishness. The game was actually pretty close most of the way (2-1 after the 2nd, 4-3 after the 6th), but a three-run 9th for the Blue Wahoos locked this one up. If not for the trio of tack-on runs, the Stars' two-run bottom of the 9th would've been good enough to tie the game.

Billy Hamilton made up for lost time against Huntsville -- after picking up 'just' 3 SB in the five-game set in Pensacola two series earlier, he went 3/3 in tonight's game alone. Hamilton led off the game with a single, and proceeded to steal both 2B & 3B during the very next plate appearance. His three thefts tonight push his galaxy-leading total to a staggering 122 (!)... and oh yeah, there's still a full month left to play. To pass Vince Coleman's MiLB record of 145 ('83), Hamilton will have to come up with 23 SB in 29 games... his pace of 122 SB in 104 games suggests that isn't exactly a longshot. Dude is incredible on the basepaths. One possibility to consider in his pursuit of #146 in the minors, however, is that the playoff-contending Reds might want him up with the big club as a pinch runner in September once rosters expand.

Huntsville starter Johnnie Lowe had a decent outing overall. A rare error from Hunter Morris (#4 on the year) to lead off the 2nd, followed by a 2B and three groundouts, wound up accounting for two unearned runs in the inning. A Billy Hamilton RBI single in the 4th and a solo HR from David Vidal in the 6th were the only earned runs Lowe allowed. He did a masterful job of inducing groundballs (even 3 of the 6 hits he allowed were grounders), and finished with a line of 6 IP, 6 H, 4 R/2ER, 2 BB, 7 K, 12:0 GO:AO.

Brian Garman was the recipient of more bad luck relating to the defense in the 7th. With one out, Pensacola got a single on what's termed in the game log a "pop up to shortstop Jean Segura" -- that could definitely just be a bloop hit, I don't mean to infer a misplay from Segura. The very next hitter singled to RF, and it looks like Kentrail Davis let the ball scoot under his glove for an error (his first of the season): "Ryan LaMarre singles on a fly ball to right fielder Kentrail Davis. Ryan LaMarre to 2nd. Josh Fellhauer advances to 3rd, on a fielding error by right fielder Kentrail Davis." Davis had come up with a RBI 2B in the previous half-inning, and hustled to third when the throw came in to home plate. Garman got the next batter to pop out in the infield, but then allowed a single... it was ruled a hit, but noted in the game log as a single "on a ground ball to second baseman Scooter Gennett". One (unearned) run came in from third on the play, but the Stars caught the runner from second base in a rundown between third & home to escape any further damage. Just from reading the game log (first defender credited in the rundown description is Morris), maybe a long-ranging stop from Scooter with the batter-runner beating the throw to first, and then the rundown ensued from there. Just my guess. Garman got two groundouts and a popout for a nice recovery in the 1-2-3 8th. He finished with 2 IP, 3 H, 1 R/0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K.

Unfortunately the drama wasn't over for the Stars, as Evan Anundsen allowed a BB, two 1B, and a 2B on the way to giving up 3 ER in the 9th. Just as last night's stressful no-hitter seemed to just be 'meant to be', tonight's game just wasn't for the Stars.

Segura had another stellar game on offense -- 3-4, 2B, 2 SB (2/2), HBP -- and his AVG is up to .455. Catcher Adam Weisenburger went 3-3 with 2 RBI and a BB. Davis was 2-3 with a 2B and RBI, but was also picked off once and caught stealing in his only SB attempt. Mixed bag of a night for Kentrail, but in terms of signs of development, I'll take a 2-3 night anytime.

Morris was 1-3 with one RBI & one BB, and stole his first base of the season in the 3rd. Hainley Statia went 2-5, while Josh Prince finished 1-5 with a 2B. Brock Kjeldgaard had an 0-4 night.

Scooter Gennett also went 0-4, and was removed from the game prior to the 8th inning (replaced by Domnit Bolivar). No word yet on whether or not that was injury related.

Huntsville PbP

Hamilton wreaking havoc in the 1st, picking up #s 120 and 121:

Pensacola Top of the 1st

-Billy Hamilton singles on a ground ball to right fielder Kentrail Davis.

-With Josh Fellhauer batting, Billy Hamilton steals (16) 2nd base.

-With Josh Fellhauer batting, Billy Hamilton steals (17) 3rd base.

-Josh Fellhauer strikes out swinging.

-Ryan LaMarre called out on strikes.

-Beau Mills strikes out swinging.

The Stars got two runs back in the 6th, and pulled to within a run:

Huntsville Bottom of the 6th

-Pitching Change: Josh Ravin replaces Chad Rogers, batting 9th.

-Hunter Morris flies out to left fielder Donald Lutz.

-Hainley Statia singles on a line drive to left fielder Donald Lutz.

-Kentrail Davis doubles (17) on a line drive to left fielder Donald Lutz. Hainley Statia scores. Kentrail Davis to 3rd on the throw.

-Adam Weisenburger singles on a ground ball to right fielder Josh Fellhauer. Kentrail Davis scores.

-Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter T. J. Mittelstaedt replaces Johnnie Lowe.

-T. J. Mittelstaedt flies out to center fielder Ryan LaMarre.

-Josh Prince lines out to center fielder Ryan LaMarre.

Here's the wild top of the 7th... thankfully Pensacola got a little greedy on the basepaths & it cost them:

Pensacola Top of the 7th

-Pitching Change: Brian Garman replaces Johnnie Lowe, batting 9th, replacing T. Mittelstaedt.

-Billy Hamilton pops out to first baseman Hunter Morris.

-Josh Fellhauer singles on a pop up to shortstop Jean Segura.

-Ryan LaMarre singles on a fly ball to right fielder Kentrail Davis. Ryan LaMarre to 2nd. Josh Fellhauer advances to 3rd, on a fielding error by right fielder Kentrail Davis.

-Beau Mills pops out to second baseman Scooter Gennett in foul territory.

-Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Bryson Smith replaces Donald Lutz.

-Bryson Smith singles on a ground ball to second baseman Scooter Gennett. Josh Fellhauer scores. Ryan LaMarre out at home, first baseman Hunter Morris to third baseman Hainley Statia to catcher Adam Weisenburger to shortstop Jean Segura.

And finally, the Stars were able to muster a bit of a comeback in the bottom of the 9th, sparked by Prince's leadoff 2B, but it fell short:

Huntsville Bottom of the 9th

-Josh Prince doubles (21) on a line drive to left fielder Bryson Smith.

-Jean Segura hit by pitch.

-Domnit Bolivar flies out to center fielder Ryan LaMarre. Josh Prince to 3rd.

-With Brock Kjeldgaard batting, Jean Segura steals (3) 2nd base.

-With Brock Kjeldgaard batting, wild pitch by Curtis Partch, Josh Prince scores. Jean Segura to 3rd.

-Brock Kjeldgaard walks.

-Pitching Change: Chris Manno replaces Curtis Partch, batting 8th.

-Hunter Morris out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Josh Fellhauer. Jean Segura scores.

-Hainley Statia grounds out softly, pitcher Chris Manno to first baseman Beau Mills.

Huntsville Gameday

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Free Segura.

It boggles me a little that Khris Davis has not played a single game in the minors at first base. Either the Brewers think he has the arm for right (and Hunter Morris is a 3B, also), they're thinking about moving Braun (based on Davis' production? not likely), or they don't have a plan for him.

Free Segura.

It boggles me a little that Khris Davis has not played a single game in the minors at first base. Either the Brewers think he has the arm for right (and Hunter Morris is a 3B, also), they're thinking about moving Braun (based on Davis' production? not likely), or they don't have a plan for him.

They haven't seemed to have a plan for any of their young players in recent years, so that's my guess... and fairly clearly yours give the 'alternatives' you list :)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It's looking like one of those days when the DSL box doesn't pop, only 2 games don't have information and the Brewers are one.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Villanueva homers twice in Cubs debut

Former Ranger goes deep in first two at-bats of Daytona win

By Sam Dykstra / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/08/03/9BgvB8O9.jpg

Christian Villanueva owned a .285/.356/.777 hitting line for Myrtle Beach. (Dano Keeney/MiLB.com)

Maybe the Cubs organization got Christian Villanueva at the right time, or perhaps Villanueva joined the Cubs at just the right moment.

Either way, both sides seem plenty pleased to have one another after their first acquaintance.

Villanueva homered in his first two bats for Class A Advanced Daytona on Thursday night in the Cubs' 8-2 win over Fort Myers at Jackie Robinson Ballpark.

The game, which was Daytona's fifth win in a row and seventh in its last eight, was his first with the club since being sent from the Rangers to the Cubs organization as part of the deal that sent Ryan Dempster to Texas.

The 21-year-old third baseman admitted he wasn't particularly trying to impress his new bosses.

"I didn't expect anything like that to happen," Villanueva said. "I was just trying to do my best here. I was happy to have new teammates and be part of this organization, and I wanted to do well for them."

The Mexico native did just that on the third pitch he saw. With nobody on and two outs in the bottom of the first inning, he drove a 2-0 fastball from Miracle starter Pat Dean over the wall with his first swing in his new home.

He didn't have to wait much longer for his second blast. Two innings later, Villanueva parked a first-pitch changeup from Dean deep as well, giving the Cubs back-to-back shots on consecutive pitches after Ronald Torreyes homered in the previous at-bat.

The newly anointed Cubs' No. 6 prospect joined his new team just days being named Carolina League Player of the Week with Rangers' Class A Advanced affiliate Myrtle Beach. For the week ending on July 29 -- his last game with the Pelicans -- Villanueva was 14-for-25 (.560) with two homers, a double and 11 RBIs in seven games.

That caught the attention of his new organization, which apparently felt good enough about Villanueva's abilities to bat him third in the lineup.

"I looked at the last 10 games and saw he was swinging the bat really well," said Daytona hitting coach Desi Wilson. "Then I got some video tape from some of our scouts this morning and saw he had some good hands, some good power. ... The way the ball jumps off the bat, the way he plays defense, you couldn't help but think, 'Wow.'"

Villanueva, who batted just .251 in the first half vs. his current .353 average in the second half, added that he saw a resurgence after he took his eyes off his numbers and focused more on his mechanics.

"I was looking at my stats a lot and trying to make too many adjustments," he said. "I was in a new league and trying too hard. ... Then I was working hard, and my family was pushing me. I don't know. I think working harder had something to do with it. I tried to enjoy the game more too and don't worry about the stats so much."

Now the former Ranger, who admits he was initially distraught by the trade but has since warmed to the move, has a new league to conquer, and the early returns have been excellent.

"We just plugged him in, and he didn't skip a beat," Wilson said. "He hadn't done anything to make him really stand out as the new guy. We're certainly glad he's with us and in our organization now."

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Sounds Drop Second Straight To Fresno, 10-5

FRESNO, Calif. - The Nashville Sounds were doubled up by the Fresno Grizzlies on Friday evening at Chukchansi Park, falling 10-5 in the third game of a four-game set.

Nashville grabbed a 3-0 first-inning lead against Fresno starter Andrew Kown. Eric Farris (3-for-5) led off the ballgame with a single, stole two bases, and scored the night's first run on a Khris Davis RBI single. Later in the frame, catcher Humberto Quintero (2-for-4) delivered a two-out, two-run double.

· AUDIO: Khris Davis RBI Single

· AUDIO: Humberto Quintero Two-Run Double

Fresno pulled back even in the contest with a pair of unearned runs in the bottom of the first, stemming from a two-out Sean Halton throwing error, and one more score in the second against Hiram Burgos. Eli Whiteside knotted the game at 3-3 when he plated Brock Bond with a sac fly in the second.

The Sounds reclaimed the lead in the third when Taylor Green belted his third home run of the year, a one-out solo jack to right off Kown that made it a 4-3 contest.

· AUDIO: Taylor Green Solo HR

Nashville right fielder Jordan Brown kept the one-run cushion in place in the bottom of the inning when he made a leaping grab at the wall to rob Conor Gillaspie of a homer.

· AUDIO: Jordan Brown Robs HR From Fresno

The Grizzlies pulled back in front in the fifth, when they sent 11 men to the plate against a pair of Sounds hurlers en route to a seven-run inning and a 10-4 lead. Whiteside delivered a pair of hits in the frame, including a two-run single. Ryan Lollis, Justin Christian, and Todd Linden added RBI hits in the inning while Bond drew a bases-loaded walk.

Burgos (0-1) took the loss for Nashville after being tagged for nine runs (seven earned) on seven hits over 4 1/3 innings during his second Triple-A start.

Caleb Gindl closed out the evening's scoring in the top of the sixth when his two-out single off Fresno reliever Wilmin Rodriguez plated Jeff Bianchi to bring the score to its final 10-5 standing.

· AUDIO: Caleb Gindl RBI Single

Kown (5-6) picked up the win for Fresno after allowing four runs in five innings of work.

The teams wrap up their four-game season series with a 9:05 p.m. CT finale on Saturday evening. Right-hander Claudio Vargas (4-1, 4.24) will man the bump for the Sounds to face Fresno right-hander Yusmeiro Petit (5-3, 3.17).

Nashville Box Score

Well Hiram Burgos was bound to have a stinker at some point, I still think AAA is much a bigger jump for pitchers than it is for hitters. Regardless, not all of the damage was Hiram's fault, Juan Perez certainly didn't help his cause allowing both inherited runners to score. The good news is that Tim Dillard actually pitched 2 scoreless innings though he did give up 3 hits. Newcomer Fautino De Los Santos had a clean inning to wrap things up as well.

Eric Farris (3-5) continued his extremely hot hitting and Humberto Quintero (2-4,2B) also had a nice game.

Nashville Play By Play

Fresno Bottom of the 5th

• Eli Whiteside singles on a line drive to left fielder Khris Davis.
    Skyler Stromsmoe singles on a ground ball to right fielder Jordan Brown. Eli Whiteside to 2nd.
    Andrew Kown bunt pops out to catcher Humberto Quintero in foul territory.
    Justin Christian singles on a line drive to left fielder Khris Davis. Eli Whiteside scores. Skyler Stromsmoe to 2nd.
    Ryan Lollis triples (2) on a fly ball to right fielder Jordan Brown. Skyler Stromsmoe scores. Justin Christian scores.
    Hiram Burgos intentionally walks Conor Gillaspie.
    Todd Linden singles on a line drive to right fielder Jordan Brown. Ryan Lollis scores. Conor Gillaspie to 2nd.
    Pitching Change: Juan Perez replaces Hiram Burgos, batting 9th.
    Nick Noonan singles on a soft fly ball to left fielder Khris Davis. Conor Gillaspie to 3rd. Todd Linden to 2nd.
    Brock Bond walks. Conor Gillaspie scores. Todd Linden to 3rd. Nick Noonan to 2nd.
    Eli Whiteside singles on a line drive to center fielder Caleb Gindl. Todd Linden scores. Nick Noonan scores. Brock Bond to 2nd.
    Skyler Stromsmoe grounds into a double play, third baseman Taylor Green to second baseman Eric Farris to first baseman Sean Halton. Eli Whiteside out at 2nd.

- Plato

- Plato

Still no DSL updates, I'm off to bed.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers shut out by Burlington Bees

by Jim Oskola, Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE — It’s tough to win a baseball game when 40 percent of the team’s hits come off the bat of one player.

That’s the way it went Friday night at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium, where Carlos George went two-for-four for the Timber Rattlers and the rest of the team went three-for-27 in a 1-0 loss to the Burlington Bees in a Midwest League game.

“To be honest, it was the rhythm,” said George about what made the parade of Bees pitchers tough to hit. “They were in a good rhythm. They were locating the ball pretty good.”

The parade of pitchers started with Julio Ramos, who pitched 3 2/3 innings as he works his way back after missing the 2010 and 2011 seasons due to injury. Ramos was followed by Jose Macias, Raul Alcantara, Chas Mye and Jonathan Joseph.

The five struck out 11 and allowed only six base runners with only George, who doubled in the leading off the fourth inning, and Yadiel Rivera, who tripled leading off the eighth, reaching scoring position.

George, who has struggled at Fox Cities Stadium with a .182 batting average while hitting .301 on the road this season, didn’t just go up the plate looking for a particular pitch in a particular zone. Instead, he did what would be the equivalent of cramming for a test.

“I study the hitters in front me,” George said. “If they were throwing first-pitch fastballs, I was looking for a fastball. If they were throwing a slider, I would look for a slider. That was helping me a little bit to grind it out.”

While the Wisconsin batters were struggling to put the ball in play, Jacob Barnes was doing his best to keep the game close.

Barnes, who was making only his fourth start of the season for the Timber Rattlers, gave four hits and walked four while striking out nine.

Pitching the final game of the four-game series gave Barnes a good idea of what to expect from the Burlington batters.

“It does help a lot because you can see the hitters,” Barnes said. “The bad part is they kind of know our tendencies as an organization. It is good to know what each of their hitters can hit and what they can’t hit and how to attack them. It does help a lot that it was the last game of the series rather than the first.”

The only run Barnes gave up was a home run to left by Sean Jamieson in the fifth inning on an 0-1 pitch.

“I think I attacked the zone for the most part,” Barnes said. “I had a couple that were borderline and didn’t get calls. I kept them off-balance for the most part. I had one bad pitch that I left up but other than that I think I kept them off-balance pretty well.”

With his seven innings against Burlington, Barnes lowered his ERA to 3.05 and over his last four appearances, he has allowed seven runs in 24 1/3 for a 2.59 ERA.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brevard falls to Tampa in series opener

Yanks score five in third as 'Tees lose 6-2

By Frank Longobardo / Brevard County Manatees

TAMPA, Fla. - A five-run third inning was the demise of the Brevard County Manatees on Friday night as they were defeated 6-2 by the Tampa Yankees in the series opener between the two teams at George M. Steinbrenner Field.

Down 1-0 after two innings, Manatees starting pitcher Jed Bradley (5-10, 5.53) allowed six hits and two walks in the third inning, including a pair of two-run homers to Kyle Higashioka and Kyle Roller as the 'Tees (22-20 second half, 51-59 overall) fell behind 6-0.

For Bradley, he went just four innings and allowed six runs on ten hits, while walking two and striking out two. The southpaw has given up at least six runs and ten hits in three of his last four starts and fell to 1-6 with a 10.32 ERA in nine starts away from Space Coast Stadium.

The duo of Seth Harvey and Greg Holle out of Brevard's bullpen threw two scoreless innings each to give the 'Tees a chance to get back in the game. The Manatees were unable to do that however as they didn't get on the board until the top of the seventh when Cody Hawn launched a two-out homer, his tenth of the season.

Jason Rogers and Franklin Romero Jr. added two hits each for the 'Tees who dropped to four games back of the first place Yankees (26-16, 56-53).

The 'Tees will give the ball to Drew Gagnon (0-1, 3.50) on Saturday evening at 5:00 PM (4:00 Central) in the second game of their three-game set with the Yanks. Gagnon has already had two starts against Tampa this season and has a 2.25 ERA in 12 innings pitched in those two appearances.

Jose A. Ramirez (5-5, 3.79) will get the start for Tampa. He is 3-1 with a 2.87 ERA in the second half of the season.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Mustangs take rubber match 6-4

Helena Brewers

Despite three errors in the series finale Billings was able to escape Helena with a a 6-4 victory. The win improves Billings' second half record to 5-1, while the Brewers drop to 2-4.

The Brewers offense once again performed well at the plate with seven of the nine hitters recording hits in the contest. Lately It seems that every night first baseman Adam Giacalone is leading the charge for the Brewers; it was no different on Friday. Giacalone continued his torrid pace going 2-for-4 with an RBI. The performance raised Giacalone's season average to .345.

Also of note, was second baseman Chris McFarland's continued comfort in the leadoff spot. Friday was the third consecutive game in which McFarland batted first for the Helena Brewers. The Lufkin, Texas product entered the evening with a .367/.406/.467 line when leading off an inning and Friday's 2-for-4 performance did nothing to hurt those numbers. For the season, McFarland's batting average has inched back toward .300 and currently sits at .298.

For the Mustangs, the evening was highlighted by multi-hit nights from Beau Amaral, Zach Vincej, Matt Lentz and Seth Mejias Brean, who recorded his first hit in the top of the fifth. This event was particularly noteworthy, because it extended the Pioneer League season high hit streak to twenty games.

The Brewers will travel west on US 12 and I-90 tomorrow to head on the Missoula Osprey for the first game of a three game series.

Joel Pierce threw one inning of relief on Friday night. (Sleeping Giant Photography)

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/08/03/NBFcuwyJ.jpg

K, I'll do the G2 AZL League game right meow...

AZL Reds 6 AZL Brewers 2

Box Score

A sloppy game all around, the Brewers only managed 3 hits and 2 walks (both by Clint Coulter). Speaking of Coulter, he was on base all night (3-5 2 BB HR SB). He now has 2 homers in August already after hitting one each of the first two months. His high-800's OPS gets even better with men on base (1.041) and then even better when they are in scoring position (1.135). It pays to be lucky. Renaldo Jenkins, who plays 2-3 times per week, went 1-3 with a SB. Malcom Dowell was back in the 9-hole and went 0-2.

Joel Dicent started and he was roughed up pretty good. On the bright side, Jono Armold threw 3 impressive innings to finish the game. 3 IP 2 H 1 R 0 ER 0 BB 4 K 5:0 GO:FO. 2.61 ERA now for Jono.

Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Lentz’s bat powers Mustangs past Brewers

By Amber Kuehn, Helena Independent Record

Several photos available at the lead link in this post

The diamond is suiting Matt Lentz just fine.

The Billings Mustangs left fielder, who traded in his football cleats for a baseball glove following a string of concussions on the gridiron, finished a triple shy of the cycle Friday night in the Mustangs’ 6-4 win over Helena. Lentz even smashed his first professional home run at Kindrick Legion Field, a moment made all the more memorable considering it was his first time clearing the fences since his junior year of high school in 2005.

“I had a good day, I was hitting the ball well,” said the modest Lentz, whose path to professional baseball was an unconventional one.

Lentz was a safety at the University of Kentucky for three years before being sidelined by concussions. He helped coach the team the next two seasons and earned his college degree in business administration, a professional career in sports the farthest thing from his mind.

“A buddy found me a tryout with the Cincinnati Reds and talked me into doing it one day,” explained Lentz, a mature 23-year-old and the only married player on the team. “I trained for a couple weeks, went to it, and the next thing I know, they signed me. It’s been pretty cool.”

Lentz signed a free agent contract last year after impressing at the open tryout in Cleveland and appeared in 11 games in the Arizona League. While adapting to the professional game is difficult for any player, it was especially challenging for Lentz, who had just picked up the bat for the first time since 2006. He was an all-star center fielder in high school.

“I struggled a little bit after five years of not playing,” said Lentz, who is hitting .261 this season. “Baseball is so frustrating. You fail more than you succeed … but it’s nice coming back.”

Lentz’s bomb was the second of the game for the Mustangs, who took a 4-2 lead in the fourth. The Brewers blew an early lead for the second straight day and ran into too many outs on the base paths. Alfredo Rodriguez and Adam Giacalone were both caught stealing in the contest, and Yonki Hernandez was out on a double play in the eighth after jumping early on a fly ball to center field.

“We can’t do that, we’re shooting ourselves in the foot,” said Helena manager Jeff Isom, also disappointed in the base hits given up after pitchers got ahead in 0-2 counts. “If we’re going to be a good team we’ve got to eliminate mistakes on the pitching side and on the base running side. We’re hot and cold. They’re learning. We continue to talk about being aggressive, but being smart. Pick and choose your time, understand what the situation is.”

It was a night of firsts for the Mustangs. Drew Cisco started on the mound and picked up his first win of the season, despite giving up three runs on six hits. Seth Mejias-Brean became the first player in the Pioneer League this season to bat safely in 20 straight games. The victory kept Billings in a tie for first place with Missoula in the second-half standings.

And for Lentz, it was a first he’ll never forget. He took the fastball from Gibbard on the hitter’s count and sent it sailing over the left-field wall, then rounded the bases to the cheers of his teammates who were there to greet him at home plate.

“I get to play baseball for a living,” the South Carolina native said, “and I’m having a blast doing it. No complaints.”

Helena heads to Missoula today to take on the Osprey, winners of four straight. Today’s probable starters are Leonard Lorenzo for Helena and Jared Ray for Missoula.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

DSL Braves 14, DSL Brewers 6

Box Score

Wish there was better news about 2011 2nd round RHP Jorge Lopez, his 2012 season has been stunning in its ineffectiveness level and journey to the DSL rather than Helena.

Well, still just 19 years old...

Game Log

Cool, a Leudi Otano sighting! (Idle sine June 4th, only other game this year)

Archived