Brewer Fanatic

What is the coolest thing you've seen in person at a Brewers game?

The stache
Back in the 90's against Detroit in County Stadium we were at a night game that had scattered t-storms heading east that missed us. We sat on the first base side, unusual for us. Cecil Fielder hit a blast to left that was out of the park. When the ball finally came down, a flash of lightning off in the distance seemed to strike the ball from our vantage point. No meaningful record or occasion, just a really cool visual.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In no order

Game 5 NLDS last year

Game 4 NLDS in 2008

Robin's 3000th hit, even though I was too young to completely understand at the time

Steve Woodard's MLB debut when he outdueled Roger Clemens for a 1-0 win. He gave up a leadoff double to Otix Nixon, then only gave up 1 bb the rest of the way, went 8IP with 12 k's. That game really sticks out to me, first game of a double header vs the Blue Jays that day.

Yount 3,000th hit

Last game at County Stadium

Russell Branyan 3-HR game against the Cubs at Miller Park (sorry, can't remember what year)

Prince Fielder & Rickie Weeks hit first career HRs in same game (this is a personal favorite)

That's my post from the older thread, and I forgot to mention that I was there for the Albert Belle/Fernando Vina clothesline incident. That was wild. --

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

1) The 3 wins in the 82 ALCS.

2) The 2 WS wins (my sister went to game 3, so the Brewers are 5-0 post season when I'm there)

3) Two grand slams in one inning (Cooper and Money)

4) Hank Aaron night. Sadly, since I was young at the time, I can now only remember that there were famous speakers, not who they were or what they said.

5) 1988 in Texas, watching Teddy H pitch a gem after several bad starts, then pitch a fit when he was taken out in the 9th. That game also had two interference calls in the first inning that both went in favor of the Brewers.

Cool / not cool memory. Coca-cola red bat night. It was cool getting the bats, but not cool that I insisted on using that end-heavy thing with almost no sweet spot throughout my time in little league, ensuring that I couldn't hit the ball to save my life.

Nolan Ryan getting win number 300

Robin Yount getting hit number 3000

Alex Rodriguez getting homerun 400

Barry Bonds breaking the NL homerun record

The Balk Off

The Brewers clinching the 2008 Wild Card

CC Sabathia's first game as a Brewer

Bill Hall's mother day walkoff

Ben Sheets breaking the franchise season strikeout record

Ryan Braun's first Miller Park game

But none of this beats the time where some hot drunk girls flashed our entire section in 2010.

NLDS Game 5 2011

NL Central Division clincher 2011

Braun walk off GS in 2008

Wild Card Clincher in 2008

Every playoff game in 2011

Games 3 and 4 NLDS 2008

Ben Sheets 18 K

Rickie Weeks first major league hit

Last game at County Stadium

Braun getting presented MVP award by Yount

The first game I was at when I was a young kid. Greg Vaughn hit a walk-off GS.

There are many more I'm sure. Those are just off the top of my head.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

A game I just remembered that I was at but did not put in my original post. Not sure where it would rank but the game where Cubs RF Brant Brown dropped the fly ball that would have ended the game and give the Cubs a win as they were fighting for the Wild Card. Brewers won but the Cubs still got the Wild Card that year.

I had pretty good seats on the 1st base line but completely missed the dropped ball. As soon as the ball was hit, I bent over to start to gather up my belongings. Then I heard a big cheer that I knew was not the sound of Cub fans celebrating a victory. I heard people shout "He dropped it!" and I looked up to see Brown chasing after the ball.

I had to go back and look at the details of that game again. I remember Sosa hitting 2 HRs that game (in the middle of the McGwire/Sosa HR battle), but I didn't remember that the Brewers were down 7-0 after 6 innings!

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

1) Easter Sunday

2) Yount's 3000th hit

3) Molitor's 38th game of the hitting streak

4 & 5) A couple McGwire/Sosa games during their HR battle.

Would've had the Vina/Belle forearm shiver game in there, but my aunt and uncle wanted to leave early and they were my ride, so I missed it.

Steve Woodard's MLB debut when he outdueled Roger Clemens for a 1-0 win. He gave up a leadoff double to Otix Nixon, then only gave up 1 bb the rest of the way, went 8IP with 12 k's. That game really sticks out to me, first game of a double header vs the Blue Jays that day.

Ditto. The other game of that DH, they turned a triple play & capped off the sweep.

Within the next couple years, I saw 'em turned a triple play (vs. Cubs?) in the home opener but they lost that one.

Molitor hitting for the cycle AND stealing home in the same game at MN against Kevin Tapani & the Twins.

Games in which Everett Stull walked everyone in creation and in which the Brewers needed 14 walks to beat Houston about 6 years ago.

Scott Karl hitting a HR down the RF line in County Stadium.

Kirby Puckett's 6-hit game & stealing a grand slam from Robin Yount - glove over the wall. Got Puckett's autograph on my glove after the game. (Saw another Puckett 6-hit game at MN vs. Texas, too).

Carl Yastrzemski's last games at MIL.

The Orioles clinch the '83 AL East at County Stadium (it actually really stunk b/c we'd been in the lead through mid-season 'til a series vs. Oakland (I think) started the derailing).

Visiting SPs: Tom Seaver (White Sox), Gaylord Perry (Mariners), and several other all-time greats I don't recall off the top of my head. Wish I'd seen Nolan Ryan in person.

The Brewers wearing Pilots throwbacks at MN (2000?).

Gorman Thomas' last game before being traded (RC Cola white batting helmet giveaway day commemorating being '82 AL Champs) & his first home game when he rejoined the Brewers.

Bill Wegman playing in his last game -- in RF to end the game!

Not a Brewers game, but the most memorable game otherwise: 1991 World Series, Game 7. A game for the ages. Jack Morris pitches 10 shutout innings. Twins won.

1. Robin Yount's 3000th hit.

2. Nolan Ryan's 300th win

3. Cooper and Money hitting grand slams in the same inning

4. Scott Erickson's no hitter

5. Prince Fielder's inside the park homer in the dome.

1. Prince Fielder's 2nd career HR, a 2R walk-off HR to beat the Pirates 2-1

2. A few years ago (2006?) I went to a game with my brothers, and they had some silly dance promotion where they picked two people in the stadium to dance on the jumbotron between innings for some silly prize. My brother proudly thrusted and spanked his way to the victory. I'm not sure how long the promotion lasted, but I never saw it again.

3. 5 HR's in one inning vs. Cincinnati a few years back

let's see . . .

--My first game was Helmet Day in 1980 or 1981. Gorman Thomas homered and I think it was against the Tigers.

--the game AFTER Rickey Henderson broke Lou Brock's record. They did something on the field for him prior to the game.

--the game AFTER Jose Canseco became the first 40/40 man. Again, they did something on the field for him prior to the game.

--first home game at County Stadium after the crane collapse

--1982 World Series game 3. Sat in front row of LF bleachers. Caught a ball during BP. Willie "stupid head" McGee became my most hated ballplayer until he retired.

--1998 Opening Night in AZ Diamondbacks history. Got a comp ticket from my cousin who worked for the team in the front office.

--1999 Jose Jimenez threw a no-hitter for St. Louis against the D-Backs. It was my then-fiance's 2nd game ever at Bank One Ballpark.

--2001 World Series games 1, 6, and 7. Those were tremendous times to be a Diamondback fan. Of course, the following season we finally splurged for the Extra Innings package on Directv and really haven't paid all that much attention to the DBacks since. Still care for them, but not nearly as much as we used to. (what a year to switch to being able to watch Brewers baseball--got rid of Matty V in the booth after the '01 season and then they lose 106 games. ouch)

--can't really prove it, but there is a high probability that I ran into my future wife at County Stadium when we were kids but didn't know it. We both remember several games that we both know we went to and sat in very similar sections of the ballpark. It'd be neat if we could go back in time just to find out.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

In no particular order:

Sheets' 18K game

Jenkins' 3 HR game (I think against Montreal?)

Glendon Rusch walkoff bunt over the 2nd baseman's head

Javon Walker winning the sausage race

Branyan game tying HR against Joe Nathan. Even though we lost, it seemed like the whole crowd new a bomb was on the way.

Game 5 against Dbacks. Best sports game I have ever attended.

Game 3 2008 against Phillies. Miller Park was just ROCKIN, playoffs back in Milwaukee.

Jenks on fire in '01 against the Expos. (Miller Park snowglobe day + Jamey Wright 2 hitter.)

http://www.benwahrlebaseballparks.com/longest-home-runs.html

I was in attendance for Adam Dunn's bomb. Was sitting with three of my friends to the third base side of home plate and had the perfect angle to admire it. It was funny because all four of us in near unison said, "Holy cow!" (well, words to that effect) I swear I heard the ball cry out when he hit it.

This guy threw at his own son in a father son game

I was sitting in the Dew Deck for Russell Branyan's monster 480' homer vs. Greg Maddux. The homer was cool but the fans reaction was even better with Cubs fans in attendance. It was cheering, whoa...boo! Classic reaction.

Weeks going Big Mac Land in St. Louis is a close second. I hate Cardinals fans but even they were cheering...

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I was also there when Kevin Seitzer got his jaw broken on a pitch by Kevin Tapani (or was it Scott Erickson??). It was Memorial Day in probably '94 or '95, and I caught my first foul ball off the bat of Joe Oliver at the game. I was a dufus, caught it off a deflection off the mezzanine camera pit on the 1st base side...I tracked it the entire way and never even stood, as it gracefully came into my glove. I was holding a slice of cheese pizza in my right hand

When I was super young, I also remember seeing an inning where we scored 13 or 14 runs against the Angles.

July 8, 1990. I listened to that game on the radio. I remember almost turning it off when it was 7-0, but then the Brewers scored in the bottom of the third, so I decided to give them one more inning. I'm glad I did.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIL/MIL199308242.shtml

I was there too. It was ridiculously hot that day, and I was trying to teach a friend of mine how to keep score. I gave up after they batted around once in the 5th... which was only about halfway through the inning.

Mine, some already mentioned:

- Game 5 in 2011 NLDS

- First home playoff game in 2008

- Last game at County Stadium

- Nolan Ryan's 300th win

- Franklin Stubbs' walkoff grand slam vs. Texas

- anytime Hoffman walked out to Hells Bells

- Gary Sheffield's return to Milwaukee - waited a long time for that. My mother claimed I was the only one that remembered him. She was quickly corrected by the resounding chorus of boos. It warmed my heart.

- John Axford's wild first career save in St. Louis in 2009 - there was only one other guy left in the bullpen. He got Pujols out to end the game (actually that whole series to sweep St. Louis was memorable)

Gary Sheffield's return to Milwaukee - waited a long time for that. My mother claimed I was the only one that remembered him. She was quickly corrected by the resounding chorus of boos. It warmed my heart.

I didn't like the idea of the Brewers going to the NL, but one thing that I did like was the fact that Sheffield would have to come back to Milwaukee. Solely for heckling purposes, I actually ordered lower box tickets to what I thought would be Sheffield's first game back . I remember sitting in a bar on a Friday night a few weeks before the game and seeing the crawl on the ESPN screen that Florida had traded him to the Dodgers in a deal for Piazza. From what I remember, his glorious return to County Stadium was delayed by quite some time... maybe even into the next season. I was very disappointed.

Let's see...

-The doubleheader when Woodard tossed a gem, then they turned the 5-4-3 triple play. Was in the first row, behind the Jays dugout.

-Don't know why, but I remember Jose Mesa throwing a pitch onto the screen on Labor Day one year. Tying run scored, and the Brewers walked it off.

-Last game at County Stadium, for sure.

-The day after Moeller's cycle. Brewers were down 9-0, came back. Billy cleared the bases with a double in the 8th, then won it in the 10th with a squeeze bunt.

-Benny's 18 K game. LF bleachers that day.

-Branyan's 2 HR Opening Day.

-Kapler breaking up Chris Young's perfecto in the 8th.

-Braunie's Grand Slam against the Pirates in September 08.

-Both NLDS games in 08. Incredible atmosphere.

-Two years in a row, they walked it off on my birthday. Corey's HR off of Santana in 10, Lucroy's squeeze last year.

-Prince's bomb celebration, preceded by another 5-4-3 triple play.

-Game 2 NLDS in '11... when they put up 5 in the 6th. Noise was deafening... and got louder with each hit.

-Game 5. I was so nervous in the 8th and 9th, I felt sick. Then the walkoff... nothing has come close.

Archived