Brewer Fanatic

Mike Olt called up by Rangers

PrinceEatMeat

Yeah, the Rangers got Dempster, who could easily be every bit as good as Greinke the rest of the way, and didn't give up any of their top-tier prospects. It'll be interesting to see how they use Olt, but it was obvious the front office there was really high on him in that he just wasn't available.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Dempster has had a nice season, but for some reason, I just don't think he's going to be the kind of addition to the rotation the Rangers are hoping for. They thought the Oswalt pick up was going to help, and it's been a disaster.

Pitching for the lowly Cubs, where you are expected to lose 100, is one thing. Pitching for a team in a pennant race, with it's added pressure...let's just see how Dempster holds up. The guy has a career 1.430 WHIP, and it's at 1.038 this season. That's not going to hold up, especially against tougher competition. I guarantee it.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

difference was that Oswalt hadnt pitched all year, Dempster has been solid all season

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

There is a vindictive side of me that hopes he plays poorly, but that's selfish and petty. Really, I hope he plays well and that helps Melvin understand that you shouldn't trade away guys who you know should be a big part of your future for short-term success in the present.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'd love to add him to one of my fantasy teams, but it sounds like he's going to be on the bench. Any of the DFW area residents have any insight into that?

I don't see why they'd call him up just to have him play off the bench. Gotta think he'll get playing time. Michael Young has really been struggling, and provides no power whatsoever.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'd love to add him to one of my fantasy teams, but it sounds like he's going to be on the bench. Any of the DFW area residents have any insight into that?

I don't see why they'd call him up just to have him play off the bench. Gotta think he'll get playing time. Michael Young has really been struggling, and provides no power whatsoever.

I am just going off of what Daniels said about him being brought up to provide power to the bench.

I am just going off of what Daniels said about him being brought up to provide power to the bench.

Just read that Ron Washington said he'll start against LHP.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

"I thought he was a Marlin now."

Lock. Total lock. Done deal. 2 weeks ago.

Yeah how is Olt still on the Rangers I thought he was on the Marlins? When did Olt get traded back to the Rangers?

"I thought he was a Marlin now."

Lock. Total lock. Done deal. 2 weeks ago.

Yeah how is Olt still on the Rangers I thought he was on the Marlins? When did Olt get traded back to the Rangers?

Someone must have missed a tweet. Only way I get my information.

I can't figure out why you would call up a guy from AA to play him out of position and platoon him. Why would you start the service clock for that type of role, when you already have a lineup brimming with RH hitters? For an organization so hesitant to trade prospects, they sure seem pretty reckless about wasting service time (guys like Perez, Grimm, etc.). Maybe they are planning on sitting Michael Young or something, so I'll withhold judgement. That said, the cynic in me sees this move as damage control to help justify Daniels failure to acquire a front line pitcher.

I can't figure out why you would call up a guy from AA to play him out of position and platoon him. Why would you start the service clock for that type of role, when you already have a lineup brimming with RH hitters? For an organization so hesitant to trade prospects, they sure seem pretty reckless about wasting service time (guys like Perez, Grimm, etc.). Maybe they are planning on sitting Michael Young or something, so I'll withhold judgement. That said, the cynic in me sees this move as damage control to help justify Daniels failure to acquire a front line pitcher.

I was honestly thinking exactly what you posted here. The Rangers have zero reason to have Olt up right now.

If we call up Olt and start him on the same day our new pitcher Dempster has his first start the fans will forget we dropped the ball and let Greinke go to our main rival in the division.

I was honestly thinking exactly what you posted here. The Rangers have zero reason to have Olt up right now.

What? The Rangers are currently in first place, trying to get back into the playoffs again, and this time win a title after back to back World Series losses.

Their primary DH Michael Young is currently sporting a miserable .297 OBP and .643 OPS, Olt likely will get at bats there, especially if Young continues stinking up the joint. Yea, they have a 5 game lead in the division right now, but there are still two months left and the division could end up coming down to a game or two. If they do make the playoffs and Olt produces over the next two months, he could end up getting at bats in those playoffs.

Seeing how Daniels operates as a GM, i see no chance that he'd call up Olt mainly as some sort of socalled "damage control" because he didn't land say Greinke or Josh Johnson. Daniels team is in first place and fighting to win the AL West at the very least. He also has a DH that is hitting like crap, while Olt was mashing in the minors. If the Brewers were Texas, i'd have zero problem with Melvin calling up Olt given the overall circumstances.

I'd worry a lot about service time if my team was under .500 and/or not likely a legit playoff contender, but not if my team was in first place with only two months left in the season.

Plus calling Olt up now means he could be eligible for the postseason roster, if nothing else as RH thunder off the bench.

They could have waited 3 more weeks if that was the reason.

Certainly true, but like others have pointed out, the Rangers clearly have a real reason for having him up now.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived