Brewer Fanatic

2013: Which way would you go?

paul253
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I know anything about Mr Attanasio, he sees his team nearing .500, and he's thinking, "We can do this next season."

I'm betting the team makes some moves for bullpen arms, and maybe one veteran starting pitcher this winter, while returning the daily lineup intact, with Gomez starting daily in center.

If I know anything about Mr Attanasio, he sees his team nearing .500, and he's thinking, "We can do this next season."

The exciting part about that thinking is.. he would be right. The lineup is super solid. The young pitching (rogers, fiers, estrada) is blossoming splendidly. We still can get a good look at some more (burgos, peralta) and we just need to shore up a bullpen.

We could ride a nice wave into next season with a really nice mix of youth and exprience!

The exciting part about that thinking is.. he would be right. The lineup is super solid. The young pitching (rogers, fiers, estrada) is blossoming splendidly. We still can get a good look at some more (burgos, peralta) and we just need to shore up a bullpen.

We could ride a nice wave into next season with a really nice mix of youth and exprience!

Bingo. I really don't look at 2013 as a lost season. I fully expect a move for a starting pitcher and a few guys being given Hawkins like deals to put in the pen.

I'm all for trying to win in 2013. The lineup is good enough and I don't think they have to strap themselves financially to add a few pieces.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong." - Charles M. Schulz

I'm all about winning in 2013 as well but I hope they don't go overboard and make stupid free agent signings or trades. The 2013 Brewers are going to sink or swim with their young rotation. And that's how it should be. I wouldn't go out and sign some veteran pitcher just for the heck of it. Fix the bullpen. Get some depth on the bench, namely someone who can play shortstop in case Segura isn't hitting very well, and let the young guys play. I wouldn't be opposed to a one year $6 to $8 million deal for Marcum but I'm not sure he signs that deal. If not, I'd rather they go with Gallardo plus Estrada/Rogers/Fiers/Thornburg/Peralta/Narveson/Burgos then waste money on a veteran pitcher or trade away even more prospects.

I'd think Bianchi is going to be the guy with/behind Segura.

I'm going to be curious to see what they do with Gamel. I wonder if we haven't seen his days in Milwaukee. Ron seems pretty happy with Corey at 1st and Morris is going to be at Nashville next year.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong." - Charles M. Schulz

I'm going to be curious to see what they do with Gamel. I wonder if we haven't seen his days in Milwaukee

Getting rid of Gamel would be absurd. What exactly do we expect to get for him in a trade? An A-ball reliever? If Hart is the every day 1B they may as well get Gamel some time in the outfield and he can be a backup 1st basemen and corner outfielder.

I haven't read this entire thread but do some actually think 2013 is already a 'lost' season?

Seriously?

Maybe you should go back and read the thread. You would see most people don't see 2013 lost season as much as a season where our chances are not good to make the playoffs.

I'd think Bianchi is going to be the guy with/behind Segura.

That is what I hope they do also. Young cost controlled guy who could be expected to math what we would have expected out of Izturis. I don't want them signing Gonzalez as a backup. I hope they go with Segura. I was opposed to bringing him up before next June but now that they have, they might as well just hand him the starting SS job for the next couple years.

We need some cost savings somewhere. Gamel, Shafer and Bianchi as backups would be a good place to start. bring back Marcum on a one year contract and hope the young guys work out. I still would not be opposed to trading Hart if you get a good return.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Bianchi has a good shot to be the everyday SS next year. Segura has a little time left to show otherwise, but so far it appears he needs some time in AAA to work on his game. Remember he's only 22. I don't think the Brewers knew exactly what they had in Bianchi, but the guy's pedigree (2nd round pick), and performance in the minors and in limited action so far has opened eyes. He's too young to pigeonhole as a utility guy just yet. Oh his ceiling may not be as high as Segura's but it could very well be as a starting shortstop until Segura is ready to perform at a high level.

I would be upset if they didn't build the team for 2013. It would be a complete blow to the franchise to go out of your way to waste a year or two of Braun's contract. The team has the core signed through 2013/2014, you have to aim to be competitive for those years. If you decide to play for 2014+ then trade Braun and do a real rebuilding. Just be ready to kiss part of the fanbase goodbye when you do it.

I would be upset if they didn't build the team for 2013. It would be a complete blow to the franchise to go out of your way to waste a year or two of Braun's contract. The team has the core signed through 2013/2014, you have to aim to be competitive for those years. If you decide to play for 2014+ then trade Braun and do a real rebuilding. Just be ready to kiss part of the fanbase goodbye when you do it.

This is a bit leading. What exactly is "Build the team for 2013?" Should we trade away Jungman, Morris, Peralta, Nelson, etc for a SP on a one or two year deal? I certainly don't think we should blow the team up, but I'd be upset if we once again gutted the farm to create another 1-2 year "window." We could be better next year if we hold onto Hart, and trade all our prospects for whatever "pair of aces" are going into their final season. Is this what anyone wants?

I think most posters are really looking at what we're going to do with Corey Hart, but building somewhat of a strawman arguement against the other side by saying either "they want to blow up the team" or "they want to give up the future."

Of course we are not going to give up on 2013, but that doesn't mean we couldn't trade Hart for a package of prospects around the level of what we got for Greinke and still field a talented team in 2013 that will be young and getting better over the next few seasons. This is the direction I'd go, but I won't get upset if they decide to keep Hart at 1B. I'll only get upset if they decide to gut the farm to "win now" for one more year.

For those like myself who see the probable rotation next year as somewhat of a question mark (high upside, but will have growing pains with the young arms), trading Hart makes sense. If we are going to be competitive next year, it will be because the pitching came together and pitched well. Hart is a good hitter, and would be missed, but Gamel could be a more-than-adequate replacement and the player(s) we get in return could make us an overall better team than we would be if we simply hold onto Hart. Maybe not, that's the nature of baseball.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't see any need to pick up any positional players. Our offense is stacked and we have depth in the minor leagues for bench spots.

Starting rotations will very likely include Gallardo, Fiers, and Rogers. Thornburg & Peralta will probably battle for a 4th spot. Would really like DM to pick up a sold 2/3 starter through some sort of trade (Or sign Grienke or Marcum).

The bullpen is where the real issues come in. I think Loe and Axford should be back. Estrada should be permanently moved to the bullpen as a 6th/7th inning guy. Doug needs to find a way to get 2 upper echelon relievers. I don't know how he will but he needs to. If he does that there is no doubt in my mind that the Brewers can be World Series contenders next year. If we could have gotten 2011 performances out of the bullpen this year we probably would own a playoff spot right now. The offense still projects to be very good next year; it would be foolish to not go for it in 2013 and find someway to improve the pitching staff.

I'm all about winning in 2013 as well but I hope they don't go overboard and make stupid free agent signings or trades. The 2013 Brewers are going to sink or swim with their young rotation. And that's how it should be. I wouldn't go out and sign some veteran pitcher just for the heck of it. Fix the bullpen. Get some depth on the bench, namely someone who can play shortstop in case Segura isn't hitting very well, and let the young guys play. I wouldn't be opposed to a one year $6 to $8 million deal for Marcum but I'm not sure he signs that deal. If not, I'd rather they go with Gallardo plus Estrada/Rogers/Fiers/Thornburg/Peralta/Narveson/Burgos then waste money on a veteran pitcher or trade away even more prospects.

I largely agree, except that I wouldn't object to paying Marcum $10-$12 mil on a one year deal (if he's open to something like that). 2013 will be about the young starting pitcher. If Fiers if for real and two other guys can even be close to average, it could be a very interesting season.

What exactly is "Build the team for 2013?" Should we trade away Jungman, Morris, Peralta, Nelson, etc for a SP on a one or two year deal?

No. I don't mean go all in and trade away the farm. I mean don't trade away established players. It means probably signing a free agent pitcher and letting one of the young guys act as depth instead of a must start. Revamp the bullpen obviously. The lineup is mostly fine, maybe let Morgan go and sign a more power hitting style 4th OF that could add depth for Gomez/Aoki since we don't know what they will bring next year.

Archived