Brewer Fanatic

2012-08-01 Astros (Lyles) at Brewers (Fiers), 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 13-4, possibly unsure how to feel]

Wouldn't an 83% success rate actually make it a good strategy? Don't get me wrong I don't like it; but isn't the percentage of scoring from 3rd with less than 2 outs significantly less than 83% overall?

That 90% success rate is a rough estimate based on maximizing runs in an average base-out situation with a man on 3rd. There are very limited instances were a manager can justify only playing for 1 run. At the very least it better be the 7th inning or later. RR will do it in a 0-0 game in the first inning, in contrast.

Also, RR will try squeezes with no out, and with 2 or even 3 runners on! Run expectancy is greater than 1 in those cases, so you should almost never attempt a squeeze unless you truly only need 1 run (it wins the game).

The best time to try a suicide squeeze is in the bottom of an inning in a tie game, where a run ends it. There should be a runner at 3rd with 1 out and the defense should not be expecting a suicide squeeze attempt. Also, the batter would be a terrible hitter but a great bunter. If that represented something even CLOSE to the kind of situation that RR typically employs the squeeze strategy, I would have nothing to complain about.

In a perfectly average situation, here is the average of scoring at least 1 run:

Man on 3rd, no out:86%

Man on 3rd, 1 out: 66%

If the Brewers were in contention, then a win today would please me, but because they're not in contention a win today would annoy me. If this team can't contend, I'd rather see them get a top 10 pick. No use ending up getting something like a 16th overall pick because that means that the team didn't get to the playoffs and that they won't get a really good draft pick either.

If the Brewers were in contention, then a win today would please me, but because they're not in contention a win today would annoy me. If this team can't contend, I'd rather see them get a top 10 pick. No use ending up getting something like a 16th overall pick because that means that the team didn't get to the playoffs and that they won't get a really good draft pick either.

I would agree with you if we were talking about the difference between 1 and 6 but 10 and 16 matters little, no?

I would agree with you if we were talking about the difference between 1 and 6 but 10 and 16 matters little, no?

Eh, if they hadn't beaten the crap out of the Astros they would be getting the 8th overall pick, which would be better than both the 10th and the 16th pick.

No matter how bad this season has gone, I do not want the Brewers to tank games. For me, two seats for 90 bucks, 14 for parking, a few beers and a brat. I do not spend over 100 bucks to not see an effort and hopefully a win.

No matter how bad this season has gone, I do not want the Brewers to tank games. For me, two seats for 90 bucks, 14 for parking, a few beers and a brat. I do not spend over 100 bucks to not see an effort and hopefully a win.

This. While its disappointing that the playoffs aren't happening this year,I've got a lot of money (as many do) in season tickets this year plus airfare to and from Milwaukee. I expect to see effort on the field and not mailing it in just because they are out of contention. I will say for me its been worth it though because my almost 2 year old son loves the games and Fiers and Maldonado have been real bright spots to watch in an otherwise gloomy season.

Formerly AirShuttle6104

I was only able to catch bits and pieces via Gameday Audio, but watched a lot of the replay. I'd have booed Franci$co Cordero if I'd been there to see him plunk Ryan. One of the times I was able to look at Gameday was during that 14-pitch AB by Ryan. Man oh man.

Most if not all of the kids Uecker has hosted in his booth have been make-a-wish kids. I missed today's kid visit but I've heard some of the others over time. That's Bob at his best.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I've tried to root for tanking, but I can't. I want the Brewers to win. All the time.

I feel the same.

I just can't root against them. The draft pick will be what it is when the season ends. When the Brewers win, I feel good, when they lose, I feel bad. I would rather feel good than bad.

GO BREWERS!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived