Brewer Fanatic

2012-08-01 Astros (Lyles) at Brewers (Fiers), 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 13-4, possibly unsure how to feel]

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2012/logos/astros.png[/logo][game-info][h1]August 01 | 1:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Astros (35-70) | Brewers (47-56)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2012/logos/brewers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2012/pitchers/astros/lyles-02.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2012/pitchers/brewers/fiers-11.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][h2]2-7, 5.54 ERA, 1.51 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]The 21-year-old right-hander had a shaky July, posting a 7.22 ERA in five starts. He has given up nine homers in his last six starts. The Astros are just 2-12 when he pitches this season, with both wins coming in June.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][h2]4-4, 1.77 ERA, 1.06 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Astros | Game Log[/h3][h3]Fiers has allowed a total of four runs in his last seven starts, giving him a 0.77 ERA in those games. He earned his fourth win on Friday, when he notched nine strikeouts and threw 6 1/3 shutout innings against the Nationals.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. CF Jordan Schafer
  2. 2B Jose Altuve
  3. 3B Scott Moore
  4. 1B Brett Wallace
  5. LF Ben Francisco
  6. RF Brian Bogusevic
  7. C Carlos Corporan
  8. SS Marwin Gonzalez
  9. RHP Jordan Lyles

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. RF Nyjer Morgan
  2. CF Carlos Gomez
  3. LF Ryan Braun
  4. 3B Aramis Ramirez
  5. 1B Corey Hart
  6. 2B Rickie Weeks
  7. C Jonathan Lucroy
  8. SS Cesar Izturis
  9. RHP Mike Fiers

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Morgan's idiotic play last night is rewarded with a start the next day???

Iirc Braun was dead to rights btw. 2B & 3B on Ramirez's RBI single in the 1st if the shortstop had come up with the ball & he's still starting. If Gonzales had snagged that low liner & doubled Braun off 2B would you want him out of today's lineup?

I get that Morgan seems to make more than his share of bonehead mistakes, but if the manager thinks a player is a good option to start today's game, I don't want him weighing in what happened -- good or bad -- in yesterday's game.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Here's to the sweeeeeeeeep we've been waiting for! :tongue
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

What did Nyjer do last night? I missed it...

He was on first base, and Gomez hit a fly ball to deep right center. He just took off running and the ball ended up being caught, and he easily got doubled off. He was almost at third when it was caught.

Thanks PEM. Seems like he has done a lot of that stuff this year. It sure gets frustrating.

Let's go Mr Fiers!

Scott Moore not having the greatest inning. A run across the board without the need of a hit so far. Even though the Crew is having a bad year at least we aren't the Astros. Not only do they suck but they get to a much tougher division next year. Good luck with that.

Ugh. Squeeze successes have become fewer and farther in between. Hopefully that will cause RR to reconsider strategies this offseason. Pretty sad that he trusts his players more to get a bunt down than to get a hit with RISP or at the very least get it to the outfield.

So a quick search on Eddie Kimminau and it turns out that he has "Morquio Syndrome – an extremely rare progressive disorder arresting growth and causing severe bone disease." Pretty cool gesture on the Brewers part to have him in the booth and on the air.

Nice to see Weeks' OPS above .700. I'm glad RR didn't do something stupid like regularly sitting Weeks earlier in the season.

So another failed squeeze attempt today?

They said last night that the Brewers were 10 for 12 on squeezes this year. Seemed high to me.

1. I swear there have been at least 3 botched squeeze plays

2. An 83% success rate does not make it a worthwhile strategy. Everyone but RR seems understand that it has to be above 90% on average.

The Brewers have now scored as many runs as they have given up and will be at 8 games under after this win. Ouch.

What at at-bat by Braun. 14 pitches before hitting the homer. Wow.

As for the botched squeeze plays, I think a lot of them we all would consider botched, they try to chalk up as a missed sign.

How many times has the runner at third taken off, with the batter not even offering at the pitch? At least once. Whatever they are reporting is misleading at the very least. With the failed attempt today, you have to put the real numbers at something like 10-15? If that's right, that's embarrassing.

Wouldn't an 83% success rate actually make it a good strategy? Don't get me wrong I don't like it; but isn't the percentage of scoring from 3rd with less than 2 outs significantly less than 83% overall? I don't have stats to back that up but I am fairly confident that to be the case. I still don't like the bunting but an 83% success rate (if it is really that high) seems awfully strong.

2. An 83% success rate does not make it a worthwhile strategy. Everyone but RR seems understand that it has to be above 90% on average.

SMALL SAMPLE ALERT!!! Citing 90% on average for something that's been attempted a dozen times seems a bit contradictory to me, even if I'm not a statistical disciple.

Maybe RR is just upping the # of squeeze plays - 8 in a row would give them 18-20, or 90%...winner!

SMALL SAMPLE ALERT!!! Citing 90% on average for something that's been attempted a dozen times seems a bit contradictory to me, even if I'm not a statistical disciple.]

What does sample size have to do with anything? I'm not suggesting that if the Brewers attempted 10,000 more squeezes, they would continue to succeed 83% of the time (or whatever the real number is). I am only saying that it has been a losing strategy this year based off the actual results.

Archived