Brewer Fanatic

Mike Fiers - NL ROTY?

slappzilla
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

They have a real catch 22 going on with Fiers right now.

He's at 164.1 innings including his Nashville innings, which is almost 40 more innings than he's ever thrown in a year. So he's definitely entering the danger zone.

But now that they're back in contention, they can't afford to lose him from the rotation. So they have to either pull the plug on a guy who is one of the main reasons that they're even still in this, or roll the dice that he will handle it fine and be second guessed for years if has any future effects. Not an enviable situation.

Yeah, it's gotta be a huge dilemma for them with Fiers right now. Take him out of the rotation, and that would likely end any chance at a playoff spot. It may be a risk they have to take. I don't think they can afford to not have him the rotation at this point.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Fiers is not a fast baller like Stephen Strasburg, so while I'm watching his innings pitched, I'd be slightly more likely to give Fiers a couple more starts than Strasburg.

Keep him under 100 pitches like they did tonight, and I think he's going to be ok for a couple more starts.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
They are in contention now and will be in 2013.
They're 6 back of the final wild card with 23 games left and a lot of teams in the mix.

They are out of contention.

One week ago they were 7.5 out with four teams ahead of them. By the end of games today they'll be at worst 5.5 out (potentially 5 out) with three ahead of them. Just sayin'....

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Brewers chances of making the playoffs are slim for sure, but to act like they dont have a chance is not looking at history. We could pass the Pirates just by sweeping them in our next series against them. That is a tough task but the Pirates have been really bad lately. Our last 6 games are at home against the Astros and Padres. We could easily go 5-1 in those games. We do go to the Nationals and Reds which will be very tough.

However, if we can do the work needed to pass the Pirates that just means there are two other team - the Cards and the Dodgers and they play each other 4 times this weekend. Now is it likely - nope - but it is possible. Our playoff chances went from like .2 to 2% in the past week or so, so things are looking up :)

Looking at history?

5 games back of last wild card spot...

Without looking, I think there is 4 teams in the running with the Brewers for that wildcard spot.

Brewers have to not only on on a sick run, but they need the other teams to bottom out a bit.

History (or common sense) says the Brewers need a minor miracle, I'm sorry. I'm all about them pushing on and I'm fine with saying there's a bit of a chance, but you can't act as if they have a legit chance or anything like that. Please don't jump the gun.

You dont seem fine with saying there is a bit of a chance since you continue to emphatically say they are done. I hope this turns out the same as the last time you were really certain of something on this board.

Last year Atlanta dropped their last 5 games. Boston was terrible down the stretch too. The Brewers can do their own work to pass the Pirates and with St. Louis and LA playing a 4 game set there is a decent chance for the Cru take make up some ground there. They would have to play about as well as they did these past 20 games to have a chance, but if they went 16-5 over the next 21 - which I think is what they just did - they would overtake (or tie) the teams above them if those teams went 11-10. Even if the Crew goes 14-7 they could tie a 9-12 Cards finish, a 10-11 Dodgers finish, etc.

I never said "they're done". Stop making things up to try and push an argument. It's sad.

I am just trying to temper the expectations of the people who are acting as if the playoff run is easy to achieve at this point. It's not. It's still a stretch. That is what I am trying to push.

"They are out of contention.

I admit, I got back on the wagon. Had they won yesterday, I maybe still on it.

It's unicorns and leprechauns at this point. The run was fun though."

In two different threads you said they are out of contention. How is that not the same as saying they are done? I am confused. No one came close to saying a playoff run would be easy. Now you are making things up. People are just saying there is still a small amount of hope

Who has unrealistic expectations? I don't see anyone posting they're going to actually make it. But they are in it, despite the long shot it may be.

Can't wait for 2013 either. They'll be in it then, too.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong." - Charles M. Schulz

It's context. You could read every other post and realize that.

There's about 43 posts between this thread and another one in which people are acting as if the playoffs are an easy feat now.

but feel free to read posts and use your own special interruption on them.

I'll tell you what. I will make it easy on you all so you don't have to keep coming at me in multiple threads.

If the Brewers fall 6 games out or more between now and the playoffs, THEY'RE DONE. I bolded it, and I'm not sugar coating it. There's no context question either. If they fall 6 games out and still make the playoffs, I will quit the board.

^ go ahead and quote that, put it in your sig, whatever.

As a (what I consider) informative fan, there's no other way to logically look at things different. You guys don't have to consider me informed, and you can label me a "brewer hater" all you want for being honest. I'm telling you how it is.

Getting back to Michael Fiers, he's currently 9-7 with a 3.05 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP. Very solid, but I doubt he gets the ROY. Wade Miley has been a tad better, and for a longer stretch. That's assuming it doesn't go to Todd Frazier or possibly Bryce Harper.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived