Brewer Fanatic

Mike Fiers - NL ROTY?

slappzilla
They say they won't vote for him because he played in Japan. Jim Souhan's quote is right on the wikipedia page for MLB RoY. The level of play matters because if they run away with it the Souhan's of the world won't matter, but if its close they will be the deciding factor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_Rookie_of_the_Year_Award

And Nomo had a 2.54 ERA in the mid 90s. If it wasn't for Maddux's godly season that year he could have gotten the Cy Young. As it was he was one of the top 5 pitchers in the entire league that year.

Ok, that makes more sense. You're saying that the few wouldn't vote for him as a former player in the Japanese leagues no matter how well he performed, but with a superior season, the remainder of the voters would in essence vote together, and nullify the other's votes. I apologize, I just needed some clarification. Vicodin + lack of sleep makes me a tad dense at times :laughing

Nomo had a great season, there's no denying it. And you're right. Even though he finished 4th in the Cy Young, I do think he would have won it if it were not for Maddux. Pete Schourek was hardly a household name, and Glavine had a good season, but not a dominant one. Nomo's K's and ERA were vastly superior to both, and he had the best WHIP of the three (though that wasn't used as a metric back then, at least I don't remember it that long ago).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/awards_1995.shtml#NLcya

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Harper was on the cover of SI before ESPN even knew who he was.

I'd forgotten about that cover. Well, then I was wrong twice this morning (strike two. I better go to bed before the ump calls me out!) HiAndTight has a point then. I still think that ESPN really amped up the Harper hype, but it appears my recollection was wrong about when it indeed started.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

How good can this guy be? I'm way past the point of hoping he can be a good #5. There's clearly more he has to offer.

And the best part is that he's going to cost us less than 2 million dollars all the way through 2015.

How good can this guy be? I'm way past the point of hoping he can be a good #5. There's clearly more he has to offer.

And the best part is that he's going to cost us less than 2 million dollars all the way through 2015.

I agree. I hope this story continues through 2013. I liked this tweet from Tom H during tonight's game: “@Haudricourt: The talk before game was if Reds would have advantage against Fiers by being 1st team to see him twice. Thus far, I'd have to say no.”

Let's really ask a hard one. Is Fiers the Brewers number 1 starter? Gallardo has certainly had moments, but I don't recall him ever putting a streak together were he was as good as Fiers has been.

Let's really ask a hard one. Is Fiers the Brewers number 1 starter? Gallardo has certainly had moments, but I don't recall him ever putting a streak together were he was as good as Fiers has been.

Fiers as the better projection but there's much more certainty in Gallardo's projection. Where that puts Fiers in terms of him being #1 or #2 is largely irrelevant.

Roenicke said it was time for everyone to realize that Fiers could pitch in the major leagues.

"I think he's shown he can pitch," he said. "He's a battler. He baffles guys with all the different stuff he throws."

Ahhh good to know all the cliché lines do not change isn't it.

edit - quote box.

You knew me as Myday2001.

Fiers has thrown 135 innings so far this season, so he figures to have 25-35 left, right? Five starts, so early September sounds about right.

I think it will be tough for Fiers to catch Miley at this point, as Miley has 50 more IP than Fiers to this point and I don't think Miley will be on an innings limit. I suppose all we can do is hope for Fiers to continue to dominate and Miley to give up a couple of ten-spots ;).

Harper has been a league average player up to this point. There really aren't any rookie position players in the NL who have been as successful as Miley, Fiers, and even Lance Lynn. Looks like the ROY ought to go to a pitcher this season.

Fiers has thrown 135 innings so far this season, so he figures to have 25-35 left, right? Five starts, so early September sounds about right.

I think it will be tough for Fiers to catch Miley at this point, as Miley has 50 more IP than Fiers to this point and I don't think Miley will be on an innings limit. I suppose all we can do is hope for Fiers to continue to dominate and Miley to give up a couple of ten-spots ;).

Harper has been a league average player up to this point. There really aren't any rookie position players in the NL who have been as successful as Miley, Fiers, and even Lance Lynn. Looks like the ROY ought to go to a pitcher this season.

I'd be pretty happy if he gets to around 160 as you suggest. That sets him up for around 190 IP next year when I would be happy to see us contend for the playoffs with a young pitching staff. Then in 2014 he and some of the other young guys will be ready to throw into the 200s should we go to the playoffs.

Michael Fiers pro career so far (all levels combined): 27-19 W-L, 428.2 IP, 2.60 ERA, 2.86 FIP, 1.024 WHIP, 9.5 K/9, 2.3 BB/9, 4.1 K/BB

Not bad for a guy with "bad stuff"

ESPN is one of the biggest hype-builders out there. They did it with Tim Tebow, and he became a near national obsession. The same thing happened with Harper.

If ESPN is responsible, that's awesome. Like it has been mentioned, Harper was hyped much more by SI than any other market. He was like what...15 or 16 when he was on the cover?

People love to complain about the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, etc coverage...now I guess we can add the Nationals to that list.

I like the coverage he's getting...since it is the Nats. Much better than hearing about the Yankees. ESPN is also hyping Trout as well. I don't see a problem here. I think it's showing if anything America has a thing for young phenoms...regardless of where they play (i.e. LeBron in Cleveland).

I feel like I hear more about Harper on ESPN than Trout, but maybe that's just me. Trout is a year older than Harper and has been easily the best player in the AL this season, even accounting for the fact that he missed ~20 games to start the season. Needless to say they ought to be talking about Trout far more than Harper, because he's having a far greater impact on the game right now.

If I were a Nationals fan, at this point I would have wished Harper would have stayed in AAA for a bit longer. I guess I feel like when you have a prospect like Harper you'd simply rather have the guy from 20-26 than from 19-25. Of course, their outfield is pretty bad without Harper and they are in the middle of a pennant race, but you have to wonder whether he would have been better off taking a standard road through the minor leagues.

Tom H. tweeted that the brewers view Fiers as valuable for 2013 and will be monitoring his innings the rest of the season. aka, he'll be shutdown sometime in September when callups are made

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

If he pitches 35 more innings he will be around 170 for the year. That should put him in position to pitch any normal amount for a SP (200-210).

I would feel good about that. It stretches a little more that you'd say was "ideal", but I think a little is fine due to him being older and not being someone who throws particularly hard. Good to know they won't be reckless and there will be a limit, probably in that 160-170 range.

Well, I might consider an innings cap of 200 but it's obviously not likely he'd greatly exceed that number anyway.

Let him go to 160 innings this season, and then finish his last start. That will give him around 105 IP in the majors this year, and should give him a decent chance at the ROY if he keeps this up and Miley falters even a little bit.

If the Brewers are out of contention next year around the Aug mark, and Fiers is pitching like a stud like he has been this year so far, then I'm all about limiting him next year too and protecting the future.

If he pulls a Cal Eldread then I really don't care though.

Archived