Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Tue. 7/31

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tuesday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Nashville: RHP Wily Peralta at home vs. Albuquerque (Dodgers), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Jeff Hem is the new play-by-play voice of the Sounds; follow him on Twitter @jeffhempbp; we'll link to his blog updates at On the Air…and Off

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Nashville games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $39.99 season-long package ($9.99 to pay for a single month). We imagine the audio feed is from the home team. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

Huntsville: RHP Josh Stinson at home vs. Chattanooga (Dodgers), 6:28 PM pre-game, 6:43 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Huntsville feed from the MiLB main audio page

Alex Cohen is the new play-by-play voice of the Stars; follow him on Twitter @alexmcohen. It's fantastic that Huntsville is returning to what will be a traditional broadcast format this year. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast.

MiLB.TV subsciption note: Huntsville road games in four locales (Mississippi, Tennessee, Jacksonville and Pensacola) will be broadcast.

Brevard County: RHP Brandon Williamson at home vs. Jupiter (Marlins), 5:35 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Jupiter feed from the MiLB main audio page

Once again this season, Brevard does not have its own audio coverage. It appears two teams in the Manatees North Division (within which the majority of games are played) have audio, and all six teams in the South Division have audio (at least for their home games), so there will be opportunities to listen to approx. 70% or Brevard's games this season, just all from the opponent's perspective. There are no Florida State League games on MiLB.TV this year.

Wisconsin: RHP Chad Pierce at home vs. Burlington (Athletics), 6:45 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link - 1280 AM WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; Wisconsin is one of only two (Great Lakes) Midwest League clubs that have all their home games available via MiLB.TV; Chris' call provides the audio. So for the $39.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sounds games, all Timber Rattlers home games, and Stars' road games from four Southern League locales, plus one July Helena series (11th-13th).

Helena: RHP Tyler Wagner at Missoula (Diamondbacks), 7:50 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Helena feed from the MiLB main audio page

We're lucky to have Steve Wendt back on board for another H-Crew season.

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): Idle

DSL Brewers: at home vs. the DSL Angels, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until late afternoon at the earliest

Brewer Fanatic Staff

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League North Division

High-A - Florida State League North Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Rookie Advanced - Pioneer League North Division

Rookie - Arizona Summer League

DSL - Dominican Summer League San Pedro de Macoris Division

NOTE: AAA Nashville does not play a split schedule. The other leagues, including the rookie leagues, do. When you click on a standings link for Huntsville, Brevard County or Wisconsin, you'll then be able to choose 1st half and/or overall standings in addition to the current 2nd half standings.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

DVR ALERT!

As we like to do, here's some notice for you.

This Wednesday August 1st, Time Warner Cable Sports 32 TV will broadcast the Rattlers home game vs. Burlington (Athletics) at 7:05 PM. RHP David Goforth is scheduled to get the TV time.

The big leaguers have a matinee Wednesday.

Huntsville: RHP Josh Stinson at home vs. Chattanooga (Dodgers), 6:28 PM pre-game, 6:43 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Huntsville feed from the MiLB main audio page

Alex Cohen is the new play-by-play voice of the Stars; follow him on Twitter @alexmcohen. It's fantastic that Huntsville is returning to what will be a traditional broadcast format this year. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast.

MiLB.TV subsciption note: Huntsville road games in four locales (Mississippi, Tennessee, Jacksonville and Pensacola) will be broadcast.

Stinson is not really considered a prospect as far as I'm aware, but he appears to be talented at inducing groundballs (1.56 GO:AO) & keeping the ball in the park (5 HR in 106 IP). This is his age-24 season; maybe he's a candidate for the 2013 big-league bullpen. However, longball WOAHs plagued him in both of his short stints at AAA Buffalo (NYM) -- 12 HRA in 89.2 IP between '10 & '11. So I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm not sure how he projects... but he's pitched pretty well this season, his first with the Brewers organization.

Apologies in advance for obviously jinxing you heading towards tonight's start, Josh.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Audio from Nashville — “Getting a Read on Khris Davis”

Jeff Hem's note -- Tonight’s interview is with new Sounds outfielder Khris Davis, who went 1-for-3 and scored the game-winning run last night in his first game with the Sounds. He joined the club from Double-A Huntsville where he batted .383 in 44 games, and he’s combined for a 14-game hitting streak.

The reason for the “Getting the Read” portion of the title is that I learned Davis is an avid reader, not something you typically hear from baseball players (at least during the season).

Willy has gotten off to a rough start so far.

Seems like the home run was the only hard hit ball of the inning. A fly ball single, an infield single, and 2 ground ball singles. He has actually pitched really well the next 4 innings. 2 hits, 0 walks, 4 K's in the next 4 innings

Peralta was much better than his line tonight. 3 soft singles and a home run in the first but he dominant after that. Just 2 more hits in the next 6 innings, no walks, and 8 k's. I think he is about ready to get called up and get a few starts down the stretch

Jupiter (Marlins) 6 Brevard County 1

Box Score

The Sea Cows ran into big boat propeller named Jose Fernandez. 5 IP 2 H 0 R 8 K for the 14th pick in the 2011 draft. Fernandez motored through the SAL and now the FSL. He K's a ton and BB's few and scouts rave about his high-90's heat. Jose turned 20 years old today. Jose Fernandez and Taylor Jungmann will always be compared by Brewers fans. 3 Marlins relievers K'ed another 6 Manatees, ringing up 14 in total.

Brandon Williamson and Tommy Toledo were bad while Wild Thomas Keeling and Seth Harvey were very good. I am beginning to wonder if Williamson and Chad Pierce should switch spots.

Nick Shaw (0-2 3 BB) led off and and did his job and Mike Walker did okay (1-3 2B BB).

Game Log

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbhT6KbHvZ8

Hart not going anywhere he going to be the team long term 1st baseman.

I would debate this with you considering Hart's age and pending FA, but that discussion belongs in a different forum.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Peralta finishes with 9 K and 10:0 GO:FO. I'd say he is straightened out. It is going to be a heated 2013 ST competition for rotation spots.

It would have sounded crazy a couple months ago but I think Thornburg could be on the outside looking in next year. You have Gallardo for sure. I think we pick up a vet. Fiers is a lock. Then you have 2 spots with Estrada, Rogers, and Peralta definitely battling for them. It wouldnt hurt to have Thornburg get a little more seasoning in AAA. I guess they could choose not to sign a vet but I think they will just to have some stability

Final: DSL Angels 4, DSL Brewers 2

DSL Brewers Box Score

Well this second half sure has been a bummer for the DSL squad, I believe this was the 6th straight loss. Jorge Ortega got beat around for the first time allowing 10 hits and 4 earned runs while striking out 2 over his 5 innings. However he didn't walk anyone so it wasn't all bad. Marcos Padilla, Melvin Tejada, and Doni Arias combined to finish off the final 4 innings without allowing a run.

Elvis Rubio (2-3,2B,BB) led the way with the bats, Jose Dicent (2-4) and Yunior Santana (2-4) notched the other multi-hit games. Raphachel Colatosti added a 2B which was the only other XBH. Santana did get picked off of 1B but the young Brewers played clean defense for the first time in quite a while.

DSL Brewers Play By Play

This inning is a good metaphor for the rest of the game.

DSL Brewers Bottom of the 1st

• Raphachel Colatosti doubles (4) on a fly ball to center fielder Angel Montilla.
    Alejandro Mendoza out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Angel Guerra to first baseman Ismael Dionicio. Raphachel Colatosti to 3rd.
    Juan Ortiz called out on strikes.
    Juan De Leon flies out to left fielder Ayendy Perez.

Ortega's 5th.

DSL Angels Top of the 5th

• Ranyelmy Mendoza triples (3) on a fly ball to center fielder Juan Ortiz.
    Ayendy Perez singles on a ground ball to left fielder Elvis Rubio. Ranyelmy Mendoza scores.
    With Erick Salcedo batting, wild pitch by Jorge Ortega, Ayendy Perez to 2nd.
    Erick Salcedo singles on a ground ball to center fielder Juan Ortiz. Ayendy Perez to 3rd.
    Enyelber Vivas singles on a fly ball to center fielder Juan Ortiz. Ayendy Perez scores. Erick Salcedo to 2nd.
    Ismael Dionicio pops out to second baseman Alejandro Mendoza.
    Luis Jolly grounds into a force out, shortstop Raphachel Colatosti to second baseman Alejandro Mendoza. Erick Salcedo to 3rd. Enyelber Vivas out at 2nd. Luis Jolly to 1st.
    Angel Montilla flies out to center fielder Juan Ortiz.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Peralta finishes with 9 K and 10:0 GO:FO. I'd say he is straightened out. It is going to be a heated 2013 ST competition for rotation spots.

It would have sounded crazy a couple months ago but I think Thornburg could be on the outside looking in next year. You have Gallardo for sure. I think we pick up a vet. Fiers is a lock. Then you have 2 spots with Estrada, Rogers, and Peralta definitely battling for them. It wouldn't hurt to have Thornburg get a little more seasoning in AAA. I guess they could choose not to sign a vet but I think they will just to have some stability

That is leaving out Burgos, Narveson and the possibility that Marcum signs a 1-year deal. Hellweg and Pena will be in their age 25 seasons as well.

Makes me smile. We have a ton of major league quality arms at our disposal.

Sounds Rally Late To Wrap Homestand With 9-5 Victory

Khris Davis Belts First Triple-A Homer In Win

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Nashville Sounds plated five runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to wrap up their homestand with a come-from-behind 9-5 victory over Albuquerque on Tuesday evening at Greer Stadium in the finale of a five-game series.

With the victory, Nashville (50-61) finished its nine-game stand with a 5-4 record despite dropping three of five to the Isotopes.

Trailing 5-4 entering the bottom of the eighth, the Sounds rallied for five runs in the frame to post the victory, marking the 16th time this season they've scored the winning run in their final turn at the plate.

Five Nashville batters posted two-hit efforts as part of the club's 13-hit attack, led by outfielder Khris Davis (2-for-4, 3 RBIs), who belted his first Triple-A homer in his second game with the club.

Albuquerque took a 4-0 lead against Wily Peralta in the top of the first inning. After Scott Van Slyke put the visitors on the board with an RBI single, red-hot Isotopes outfielder Jerry Sands provided the big blow with a one-out, three-run homer to left, his 19th of the year.

Sands finished the five-game series against Nashville with a .524 average (11-for-21) with four home runs and 15 RBIs.

After the Sands homer, Peralta -- who took a no-decision -- calmed down to keep Albuquerque off the board over the next six innings, retiring 19 of his final 22 batters faced, including nine strikeouts.

The Sounds got onto the board in the second inning against Isotopes starter Will Savage. Taylor Green led off with a double to right and scored two batters later on Jordan Brown's opposite-field double down the left field line that caromed off the glove of Sands, making it a 4-1 contest.

Davis evened the game at 4-4 in the bottom of the third when he belted his first career Triple-A home run, an opposite-field, three-run shot to right off Savage. Jeff Bianchi and Caleb Gindl each preceded Davis with singles before scoring on the roundtripper.

AUDIO: Davis Three-Run HR

Isotopes third baseman Alex Castellanos put the visitors back in front, 5-4, in the eighth when he belted a two-out solo homer to left off Nashville reliever Donovan Hand. It was the infielder's 14th home run of the season and third of the series.

Nashville answered immediately, putting up five runs in the bottom of the eighth to grab a 9-5 lead.

Davis led off with a single off Scott Rice, moved to second on a wild pitch, and advanced to third on a Green single. Sean Halton followed with a game-tying double to right to even the contest. After Brown drew a walk to load the bases with no outs, catcher Humberto Quintero chopped a go-ahead, two-run single over the left side of the drawn-in infield to give the Sounds their first lead of the night at 7-5.

AUDIO: Quintero Puts Sounds In Front

Edwin Maysonet followed with a bunt single to the left side of the mound, which Rice grabbed and misfired to first that allowed both baserunners to score and Maysonet to advance to third.

Robert Wooten closed out the game with a perfect ninth for the Sounds. Hand (3-1) earned the victory as the beneficiary of the late Sounds rally, while Rice (0-2) absorbed the loss for the 'Topes.

On Wednesday, the Sounds embark on an eight-game road trip, which begins with a 9:05 p.m. opener of a four-game series at Fresno (AAA-Giants). Right-hander Brian Baker (2-4, 5.15) will make the start for the Sounds. He'll face Grizzlies left-hander Clayton Tanner (0-1, 7.80).

Nashville Box Score

Fun fact of the night, Wily Peralta is actually batting .231. He was pretty dominant after the 1st, but that inning was brutal.

Khris Davis... or shall I refer to him as "Krush" Davis, has done nothing but hit all season. He's not one that's going to set prospect lists on fire but I feel good about him as a hitter, kind of the same way I feel about Fiers as a pitcher. In addition to Davis' night which was detailed above Taylor Green (2-4,2B), Jordan Brown (2-3,2B,BB), Humberto Quintero (2-4), and all had multi-hit games.

Nashville Play By Play

As always the game story was very thorough.

In honor of Peralta's ascension over the course of the season...

http://youtu.be/Qpyd3-GHH7I

Those of us who grew up with rotary phones and Nintendo will understand Si's genius... "Nah, no, I just said it... it's back in!"

edit. And yes I've been wanting to use that quote for months.

- Plato

- Plato

Archived