Brewer Fanatic

Blue Jays get Brad Lincoln from Pirates

splitterpfj

yeah, kind of a weird trade, I can tell you that all the bandwagoners are calling in and saying that the buc's are finched... which is being a bit over-dramatic... but im not sure I see the point of Snider in the OF if only to move Jones to 1B and McGehee to the bench/3B platoon. OF is the one position the Pirates have a good bit of depth outside of the pen... so its kind of weird they'd trade from one strength to add to another strength..

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I really like the deal for Pittsburgh. I'm not a huge believer in Brad Lincoln being for real in the bullpen, with a FIP nearly a run higher than his ERA. I'm not convinced he'll play well out of the bullpen in the AL East. Snider is a decent buy-low gamble. Hard to believe he's only 24. If he can figure it out, that's a pretty damn good (young) outfield in Pitt.

This is the kind of move the Pirates should be making this year, by the way. Guys with a bit of untapped potential/years of control beyond the next year or two.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The Pirates bullpen is also really really deep. Between Hanrahan, Grilli, Hughes, and Juan Cruz coming back, they can get by without Lincoln. I know it's hard to say this as a brewer fan right now, but bullpen pieces are very replaceable. Whereas Travis Snider has struggled a lot at the major league level, but he debuted as the youngest player in the league (he's still just 24) and is a former top 10 prospect with some major power. He's been mashing (again) in AAA this year, and supposedly he's made some mechanical adjustments as well as fully recovered from a wrist injury. It's basically one GM hoping he's turned that corner (and only sacrificing a RP to do so), which isn't a ridiculous thought about a 24 year old player, vs. the other GM saying he hasn't and won't. I think its a great trade/gamble by the pirates. Gamble probably isn't even the right word, because middle relievers have such low value (again, very difficult to say as a brewer fan right now. but it's the truth)

Archived