Brewer Fanatic

Stan Kyles Fired

markedman5
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is by no means a defense of the move. More of an question I have about bullpen coaches as a whole. If they have no impact on the player's performance why are they there in the first place?
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

This is by no means a defense of the move. More of an question I have about bullpen coaches as a whole. If they have no impact on the player's performance why are they there in the first place?

they do play a big role in going over scouting reports of players relievers may face when they come in, and there needs to be someone in the pen to tell the manager that the reliever is warmed up. Also someone needs to pick up the phone to know whom to get warmed up.

Perhaps they are auditioning Lee Tunnel for a job next year, along with various pen and rotation arms. These guys have all been underperforming by a lot this year and things have been getting worse, not better as the season progresses. I have no problem with this move, he earned it.

I understand how people think others are more responsible for this mess than Kyles, but I have no problem with firing the bullpen coach due to the complete failure of the bullpen.

I'm sure this is the first move of many, I'd guess nearly all of the guys who have been in that pen all season will be somewhere else next season.

they do play a big role in going over scouting reports of players relievers may face when they come in,

Do they? One would think that is done in team meetings by the pitching coach or manager before the game starts. During the game by the time they know who is going to go in a game said reliever would be a little busy warming up to be going over scouting reports.

and there needs to be someone in the pen to tell the manager that the reliever is warmed up. Also someone needs to pick up the phone to know whom to get warmed up.

A well trained chimp can do that.

Perhaps more charitably there is at least some symbolic value in turning the page. At least some of the people in the bullpen will pitch at a respectable level in MLB again. This can give you the clear line in the sand to start recounting and evaluating.

they do play a big role in going over scouting reports of players relievers may face when they come in,

Do they? One would think that is done in team meetings by the pitching coach or manager before the game starts. During the game by the time they know who is going to go in a game said reliever would be a little busy warming up to be going over scouting reports.

and there needs to be someone in the pen to tell the manager that the reliever is warmed up. Also someone needs to pick up the phone to know whom to get warmed up.

A well trained chimp can do that.

I don't know, but someone should be in these clowns ears telling them that you don't throw a fat fastball or hanger right down the pipe on 0-2. These guys have been getting crushed on 0-2 counts this summer.

someone should be in these clowns ears telling them that you don't throw a fat fastball or hanger right down the pipe on 0-2.

They were probably making those pitches on purpose, right?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

someone should be in these clowns ears telling them that you don't throw a fat fastball or hanger right down the pipe on 0-2.

They were probably making those pitches on purpose, right?

It sure looks like it. How do you miss that bad, that often? A good chunk of the time, these guys can't even throw strikes when they want to. It seems like they struggle with control, walk someone (or two), get an 0-2 count and are gunshy about wasting even one pitch.

I don't know, but someone should be in these clowns ears telling them that you don't throw a fat fastball or hanger right down the pipe on 0-2. These guys have been getting crushed on 0-2 counts this summer.

I don't think you need a scouting report to tell you that. Nor should a coach be necessary to inform them that is a bad idea. That goes back to who's fault this mess is. Though I guess the argument could be made the pitching and bullpen coaches should be held somewhat responsible for mechanics and such that cause such poor pitch location.

I don't think you need a scouting report to tell you that. Nor should a coach be necessary to inform them that is a bad idea.

Agreed. I was just being half sarcastic when I saw the scouting report thing. Outside of maybe Loe, I don't have confidence in any of the bullpen 'incumbents' being able to hit the broad side of a barn if they want to, let alone pitching someone in a specific way.

I understand how people think others are more responsible for this mess than Kyles, but I have no problem with firing the bullpen coach do to the complete failure of the bullpen.

I'm sure this is the first move of many, I'd guess nearly all of the guys who have been in that pen all season will be somewhere else next season.

I couldn't agree more. Yes, Kyles is a "class act". There have been lot's of "class acts" in baseball throughout the years that have been fired. The major issue with the Brewers this year has been their bullpen. Kyles was the Bullpen coach. Why is it so hard to fathom that he would be fired? Scapegoat or not...it seems pretty logical to me.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I couldn't agree more. Yes, Kyles is a "class act". There have been lot's of "class acts" in baseball throughout the years that have been fired.

Those guys have a way of resurfacing somewhere in a different capacity. As often as not with the same team that fired them. If you fire a guy but rehire him doing essentially the same type of work elsewhere in the organization indicates to me teams understand the problem may not be with the guy being fired. I guess they hope that while he was not the problem his firing from that post can be part of the solution.

Long way of saying maybe we are looking at who caused the problems when the team may be looking at how to fix it. The two are not always one in the same.

Archived