Brewer Fanatic

2013 FA arms

As far as Rogers goes, I think we'll find out whether he's on the team or not next year depending on the rest of this year.

Regardless of his next few starts, I am thinking that Rogers will be on the ML roster next year. If not as a starter, then a bullpen guy. Even if he stinks in the spring, I think they go into the season with him and see how it goes (at a minimum he takes the Dillard role). You have to figure that Axford may be the only guy back next year and that is quite a number of slots to fill via FA.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cant wait for them to only dump krod and no one else from the bullpen this winter

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

cant wait for them to only dump krod and no one else from the bullpen this winter

I really can't see them signing Veras. Parra and Loe will be in their last year of arby, so it will be interesting if the Brewers want to go that route. Can't see them keeping all three or losing all three, so it will be interesting who they value and at what price.

Villanueva remains one of the most interesting names out there. He posted yet another strong start last night. He turns 29 in November. My guess is he'll look for an opportunity to be a starter but teams aren't likely to offer him big FA starter money based on a dozen or so starts this year

Brewers have needs in both areas. He's familiar with the surroundings obviously and there are still a number of guys who he knows well from his first time.

Edit: Villanueva definitely wants to start. Quoted on Sportsnet, Villanueva said: "Starting would be ideal. The thing I've always wanted is 30 starts. I want to see what I can do without worrying about the rough stretch every pitcher goes through where the team panics (shot at Ned Yost circa 07 and 08) and pulls me.

As an opposing hitter said: "He's good, man. I'm not sure why but it always seems he gets screwed when it comes to starting over relieving." Hmm. Seems to me I made that point a number of times when he was a Brewer.

Villanueva remains one of the most interesting names out there. He posted yet another strong start last night. He turns 29 in November. My guess is he'll look for an opportunity to be a starter but teams aren't likely to offer him big FA starter money based on a dozen or so starts this year

Brewers have needs in both areas. He's familiar with the surroundings obviously and there are still a number of guys who he knows well from his first time.

Edit: Villanueva definitely wants to start. Quoted on Sportsnet, Villanueva said: "Starting would be ideal. The thing I've always wanted is 30 starts. I want to see what I can do without worrying about the rough stretch every pitcher goes through where the team panics (shot at Ned Yost circa 07 and 08) and pulls me.

As an opposing hitter said: "He's good, man. I'm not sure why but it always seems he gets screwed when it comes to starting over relieving." Hmm. Seems to me I made that point a number of times when he was a Brewer.

As my gag reflex kicks in(I'm kidding....kinda) I agree with you, and I've actually always agreed on Villanueva. It's never made ANY sense to me why we where SO damn quick with the hook when it came to Villanueva, but not with anyone else. Literally, with anyone-else.

I always thought he was a Fiers type pitcher. His velocity impressive, but it seems to appear faster to hitters, he had stretches when his change, curve and slider where working in which he had hitters totally, utterly baffled. Just clueless. Very interesting as to why he hasn't gotten more play.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

As my gag reflex kicks in(I'm kidding....kinda) I agree with you, and I've actually always agreed on Villanueva. It's never made ANY sense to me why we where SO damn quick with the hook when it came to Villanueva, but not with anyone else. Literally, with anyone-else.

For some reason, Macha didn't like him from the get go. I remember him harping on Villanueva's control the first Spring training he was here, then he spent the rest of his time burying him with Soup and Parra in the rotation during most of that stretch.

For some reason, Macha didn't lik him from the get go. I remember him harping on Villanueva's control the first Spring training he was here, then he spent the rest of his time burying him with Soup and Parra in the rotation during most of that stretch.

It just seems like it's more than Macha. He came up under Yost and had some very good starts, and then struggled for maybe a start or two and that was it, he was back in the pen.

I'm not saying had he been given a consistent chance, he'd have been a #2 or 3, but I think he'd have been a really good back of the rotation type guy who could have had some great outings. I just noticed, he had an 11.4 K's per 9. That was the year he had like 4-5 REALLY terrible outings, but was pretty dominant the rest of the time. In fact, I thought he started out the season the first couple months with ridiculous numbers. I don't know, I think his time with us has probably passed as our he doesn't really fill any role in our rotation that several guys can't in the next couple years as he's a 4/5 type guy for the most part, and he really doesn't offer that upside that those same guys he'd be fighting for a spot with do.

Our chance to maximize his value was in '06-'10. Oh well....

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

two words

BRADEN. LOOPER.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Villanueva was always pretty good. The problem was that when he had bad games, they generally were very bad. Still, wasn't he more a victim of his salary and our already full rotation than anything? He was a great long man in the pen and a pretty good starter. Where he got miscast was as an 8th inning guy.

I think I've seen enough of the young pitchers to change my opinion on this topic.

A guy like Zack Greinke is a difference maker on our team. Nobody else out there will be much of a difference from a Gallardo, Fiers, Rogers, Estrada, Peralta/Burgos/Thornburg rotation. I think it's a pretty safe bet that one of Peralta, Burgos and Thornburg can shore up that last spot.

Greinke

Gallardo

Fiers

Rogers

Estrada

Looks great to me!

Gallardo

Fiers

Rogers

Estrada

Burgos/Thorn/Peralta + a decent amount of money in the bullpen

Looks just fine to me as well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Dodgers might lose Chad Billingsley for 2013 with a slightly torn ulnar collateral ligament (UCL).

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-0906-dodgers-notes-20120906,0,4165417.story

It will take a few months to see if the injury heals on its own, meaning the Dodgers will have Kershaw (who is awesome), Capuano, Harang and Becket in the rotation. They might want to rely on a rookie, or another signing, but the threat of the big hole might make them make a big move on Greinke. Especially if Zack enjoys his time in the area.

Obviously many of us would like Zack to come back to Milwaukee, but if the Dodgers get involved, they might really dump on him a ton of money that we can't get close to.

I think the Brewers should just go with what they've got. Gallardo, Fiers, Estrada, Rogers, Peralta. Thornburg and Burgos are in Nashville to start. They would need to sign some depth to stick in AAA or as the long man in the pen, but I'd rather the Brewers spend money on the bullpen.

I'm starting to get on board with just going with the young starters next year.

I actually don't even want to see them get involved in the Greinke sweepstakes anymore. I just no longer see the wisdom of a $23M per year investment in him. There are smarter ways for us to invest and win.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the Brewers should just go with what they've got. Gallardo, Fiers, Estrada, Rogers, Peralta. Thornburg and Burgos are in Nashville to start. They would need to sign some depth to stick in AAA or as the long man in the pen, but I'd rather the Brewers spend money on the bullpen.

That. Stick Narveson down in AAA for as long as they can on a "rehab" assignment, and spend whatever money they have available on the best LH relief pitcher they can get and a guy who can go multiple innings. Ax seems to be finding it again, Veras post-All-Star game has a 2.96 ERA .196 BA-A and 17 H + 35 K in 24.1 IP, and Henderson has shown he can get big league hitters out. The funny thing about Parra is that the stats show he is decent against LHP (0.95 WHIP, .611 OPS), but it seems like whenever I watch he is walking or giving up hits to lefties (.224 BA-A vs lefties isn't bad, but Stetter's .179 BA-A vs lefties in 2009 was great). Add in Kintzler, a long man, and a LHP who isn't terrible against RH hitters, and I think the bullpen is in good shape. With possibly five RH starters, they need at least two LHP in the bullpen.

I wouldn't mind us considering Bedard, Liriano, or Edwin Jackson on the right contract. I have a feeling Jackson will be more expensive than we'd like, but the other two could possibly be had

NO TO BEDARD.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I wouldn't mind us considering Bedard, Liriano, or Edwin Jackson on the right contract. I have a feeling Jackson will be more expensive than we'd like, but the other two could possibly be had

NO TO BEDARD.

I see your "NO TO BEDARD" and raise you a double-strength "NO TO LIRIANO." I've watched WAY too many of his starts the past few years to be fooled by his stats and his few good starts.

Million dollar arm. Million dollar stuff. 50 cent confidence and sometimes, therefore, 50 cent decision making.

For a guy like Bedard, it's all about money. If he's willing to do a minor league deal with incentives, he's not a bad option. If someone goes down in spring training, you have a guy that, prior to this year, has been effective - at least when healthy. The last bit is huge - when healthy. No way you sign a guy like him and give him a spot in the rotation. But as insurance, sure. Assuming you feel he's healthy and can rebound from a bad 2012.

Another guy I'm going to throw out as an interesting possibility is Dan Haren. He has had a very average year, with a 4.41 ERA. Fangraphs puts his WAR at 1.5, while baseball reference has it at -0.5. He's giving up more hits. His Ks are down. He just turned 32 a few days ago, so he's not too old. But it is a time where injuries start emerging for guys like him.

The Angels have a $15.5 million option for 2013 with a $3.5 million buyout.

I haven't seen Haren pitch, so I'm more going on the 'old' Haren - who has had some great success over the last 7-8 years.

If the Angels don't pick up the option, Haren might be willing to take a one year deal to re-establish his value.

At this point, I think the Angels will pick up Haren's option if they can't resign Greinke (or add a different stop line starter). But there's a chance he'll hit the street. He would be a fascinating guy to add on a short term deal.

Anyone could have Bedard right now for league minimum, and no one's biting. There's probably a reason for that, and I doubt he'll be highly sought after this offseason. If we could get him cheap as a long-man/spot starter, I wouldn't mind, but I wouldn't want to count on him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived