Brewer Fanatic

2013 FA arms

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want any FA arms. Why pay millions to a guy for a couple years while they're rebuilding? Does anyone honestly believe this team can be a WS contender next year?

The only shot this team has to be a true contender is having their own pitching prospects produce, and actually a couple of those guys need to be studs. That's the formula for success. Salary controlled starters for 6 years. THEN you can make a big splash for a bat, another SP, etc. when those pieces are in place. Why spend the money now? Once this team is ready to really get after it again, use the money then to complete the picture. To go out and sign another Looper, Suppan, Wolf right now, I'm sorry just doesn't make sense to me.

I would go with Yo, Fiers, Peralta, Thornburg, Burgos, Rogers, and Estrada in the rotation. Seven guys??? Well yea, over the course of the 2013 season. Innings need to be managed, so you can't just throw Thornburg (for example) in the rotation for 30+ starts.

Bullpen, same thing. Bring in Sanchez, Stetter, etc. Now, I wouldn't mind at all if they swing a trade to pickup a bullpen arm or two. But not guys making big money. Pre-arby type guys who are controlled for 3-5 years. Heck, I may even throw money at a FA if I really trusted what I was getting.

2013 (and the rest of this season actually) should be all about giving pitchers in our system every opportunity to show how they can contribute. Side benefit is you start building up innings as well. End result would be going into 2014 with a heck of a lot better understanding of what the rotation looks like, and if a FA move or trade needs to happen then.

Personally, I think that the Brewers will need to add one or two vet arms, but I'd greatly prefer to do so on one year deals. Outside of the pipe dream that is ZG, there is not one player on that free agent list that I would want to commit big money to. There are a lot of guys that may be available on one year deals though.

FVBrewerfan, I completely agree in theory.

However, I think a perfect scenario is where we can pick up Marcum on a one-year / low money deal. He may sign this because he needs to re-establish his value. We could still let three young guys get MLB starts, and then we could flip Marcum at deadline if he's been good, get a good prospect back and insert one of our SP prospects into the MLB rotation. If he's once again injured, we didn't lose much, as we didn't pay much for him, and the young guys will get the starts anyway.

As to the bullpen, I agree we should let the young guys play, but I don't think we have enough MLB-ready guys to fill out the 'pen. That's assuming Loe, Parra and Veras, K-Rod and Livan are all gone when the season's over. I like the Kottaras trade, and wish we'd have done the same with Morgan, but unless we trade Gamel or prospects for young bullpen arms, I don't see what we could trade to upgrade the 'pen. Unfortunately, I think we're going to have to spend some FA money on the bullpen this offseason. I just hope it's on one-year deals.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't want any FA arms. Why pay millions to a guy for a couple years while they're rebuilding? Does anyone honestly believe this team can be a WS contender next year?

The only shot this team has to be a true contender is having their own pitching prospects produce, and actually a couple of those guys need to be studs. That's the formula for success. Salary controlled starters for 6 years. THEN you can make a big splash for a bat, another SP, etc. when those pieces are in place. Why spend the money now? Once this team is ready to really get after it again, use the money then to complete the picture. To go out and sign another Looper, Suppan, Wolf right now, I'm sorry just doesn't make sense to me.

I would go with Yo, Fiers, Peralta, Thornburg, Burgos, Rogers, and Estrada in the rotation. Seven guys??? Well yea, over the course of the 2013 season. Innings need to be managed, so you can't just throw Thornburg (for example) in the rotation for 30+ starts.

Bullpen, same thing. Bring in Sanchez, Stetter, etc. Now, I wouldn't mind at all if they swing a trade to pickup a bullpen arm or two. But not guys making big money. Pre-arby type guys who are controlled for 3-5 years. Heck, I may even throw money at a FA if I really trusted what I was getting.

2013 (and the rest of this season actually) should be all about giving pitchers in our system every opportunity to show how they can contribute. Side benefit is you start building up innings as well. End result would be going into 2014 with a heck of a lot better understanding of what the rotation looks like, and if a FA move or trade needs to happen then.

how large of a roster do you think the brewers can have in the majors?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

What's your point? My comment about having 7 guys in the rotation? Obviously that's why I said "over the course of the season." A couple of those arms can stay in Nashville, and/or be used out of the pen. Otherwise I don't understand your question.

If you'd like to police all posts on these boards and eliminate all the ones that are not fact, but just a bunch of people acting like what they say is fact and stating opinions, you are going to be a very busy man.

Good luck with that.

Actually, some of the moderators have recently made posts to this effect. It's usually easy to see when someone obviously has an opinion on something. But the way you post, you post as if it is a fact.

Not only is it misleading but it can also be seen as antagonistic since you're shooting down other people's opinions (i.e. Narveson has a shot to compete next year) with your opinion, which is stated as a fact.

You're right. But. I would say it's actually more misleading (not deliberately, but in effect) to list Narveson among guys who one presumes will be competing for a rotation spot next season. As I understand his injury and his contract situation, Narveson is extremely unlikely to be in a position to compete for a rotation spot next year. So if you're going to call someone out for stating that "Narveson won't be able to compete for a rotation spot," you should just as surely be calling out the people who state that "Narveson will be (able to compete for / competing for) a rotation spot."

I'd like to hear more about why, exactly, people think we should or should not target a veteran SP in the offseason. What factors should influence that decision, how much, and why?

Let's say we'll need six guys on the roster that we can rely on as SPs (because one will invariably get hurt at some point), plus at least one plausible emergency option beyond that in AA/AAA.

Other things equal (no surprise injuries, meltdowns, or unexpected trades), pretty much everybody sees Gallardo and Fiers as locks. I would say most of us see Estrada as a lock for the back of the rotation. That's three spots set. (IMHO, as I was just saying above, Narveson doesn't belong in the discussion.)

Then you come to Rogers, Peralta, and Thornburg. I think everybody figures one of them will make the rotation, many are willing to bet on two of them, and a few would be willing to put all three in the top six spots of the depth chart. In that scenario, one of those guys would start the season at AAA or in the Milwaukee pen; Estrada could do that as well, start out as a swingman in the pen. Burgos in this scenario could be the seventh man.

If you're willing to count on all of those guys, then you don't need to get a veteran SP. (You'd want some kind of deep backup injury insurance even beyond your top seven, but that could be a Claudio Vargas AAAA type.) Let's add that, if Marcum shows he's healthy, he's the veteran SP, pushing another of the rookies (or maybe Estrada, depending on how you've got guys ranked) into the pen. The depth chart looks something like this:

Gallardo

(Marcum)

Fiers

Rogers / Estrada

Estrada /Rogers

Peralta / Thornburg

Thornburg / Peralta

Burgos

Theoretically, there are two categories of veteran starters we could sign: (1) guys whom we can confidently project to be better than Rogers looks right now; (2) guys with a track record but whom we can't confidently project to be better than Rogers looks right now. Category (1) guys will presumably cost real money on a three or four-year contract -- Edwin Jackson, say.

Why would we sign a category (1) guy? Maybe we think we can contend next year with our current lineup and a few tweaks. Or maybe we think the rest of the team will be ready to contend by 2014 but we don't have confidence in our SP prospects to fill out a strong rotation by then, and we want to get a guy in place early. Neither of those seems to me like a compelling argument, but maybe I'm missing something.

The more pressing question for 2013, to me, seems to be whether we sign a category (2) guy. Reasons we might do that:

-- We're worried about getting the necessary number of innings out of the young guys without putting too much strain on their arms.

-- We're not confident enough about the young guys' ability to believe that enough of them will put up the necessary quality of performance to fill out their roles.

-- We want an experienced guy who knows how to pitch to stabilize the rotation and help acclimate the young guys.

-- We don't think a rotation full of young guys will have, in the aggregate, the necessary mental toughness / intangibles.

For me, those reasons are listed in descending order of force. The first two seem like good reasons if their factual premises are right, but I don't know if they're right. The other two reasons seem to me more like baseball cliches that don't really hold water, but I know other people disagree. I'd just like to know how various posters are thinking about this issue.

My view right now is that, if Marcum looks like he'll be ready by opening day, I'm not inclined to sign a vet starter. If he's not going to be ready, I'm on the fence, and a lot will depend how the young guys, from Rogers on down, pitch the rest of the way, in the majors and AAA. In that non-Marcum scenario, what Rogers does the rest of the way is the biggest factor.

Wow, there are a lot of arms on the market, and yet Greinke and perhaps Peavy are really the only impact guys. Everybody else seems to have the distinct possibility of being absolutely horrible. We have 5-7 young arms on the farm that can be horrible for us for a lot cheaper--plus there is the possibility that we find another Fiers or two in that group and then we'll really have something special.

Thus, I'm kind of moving toward the sign Greinke camp. Greinke, Gallardo, Braun, Lucroy and Segura seems like a good 5 to lead us into the 2020s. Trade Ramirez, Hart, and Weeks for the best prospects you can get--similar to how Toronto traded Marcum straight up for Brett Lawrie.

That was why it was so crucial to extend Greinke. Now that he's gone, he's not coming back. The Brewers are never going to sign the number one rated free agent. There's really nothing out there to improve the team in free agency outside of some arms for the bullpen. I believe that Peavy has a huge option, but if he keeps dealing I'm sure the White Sox will pick it up. Combine that with the fact that they don't really have the ammo to swing any deals for veterans, and the short term prognosis looks pretty bleak.

I've stated my reasons for why I don't think it's the least bit unrealistic for the Brewers to bring Greinke back next year, so I won't go in depth again, but if you look at the teams who are making decision based upon the luxury tax, many of them are the traditional big spenders and are actually trying to move pieces, or are simply not bringing back key pieces because of the luxury tax.

I don't see the big boys jacking up the price for Greinke and after his time here, and Attanasio's desire to keep him, I think after testing the FA waters, we see where he's at, and I think it's actually very possible he's brought back.

But lets assume he's not.

There are a couple pitchers on that list that would be good signings.

Dan Haren-There's a decent chance he isn't brought back because of the money the Angels have invested in other players, and in fact, that could end up being the team(them or the Dodgers) among the big market teams that do in fact stop us from getting Greinke back. If the LAA sign Greinke, I think they decline Haren's 15.5 million dollar option, or at least look to move him without asking for the world in return. I think both Dan Haren and Edwin Jackson would be two ideal options.

Jackson is a lock for 200 innings a year and a ERA the right side of 4.00 just about every year.

Haren is a guy who could go out and win a Cy Young, but again, has struggled, and with Weaver locked up, Wilson also locked up, if they did sign Greinke, he could be had.

And then there is Jake Peavy. The White Sox MAY pick up his 22 million dollar option, but it's also entirely possible that they do not, in which case, he'd be the type of guy that I'd be very weary of.

3 years 45 million for him would be about as high as I'd go.

I'd be nice to add another veteran starting pitcher, and a guy like Edwin Jackson, despite having pitched for several years in the big leagues, still has the feel of a guy who could STILL have that breakout year. The type of year where everything goes right and puts together a 2.85 ERA and becomes a Cy Young candidate.

I'm still not sure why teams have moved him so regularly and why he only got one year last year.

So my list would be

1-Jackson 3/33 at most

2-Haren-If in a long shot his option is declined and we can get him for 3/45, 4/60 after a down year. Not likely.

3-Peavy for a similar deal. Though his injury history is rather troubling.

My Next tier would be

1-Annibal Sanchez-He still has the stuff to pitch much better than he has for the most part. 3 years 24 million?

2-Brandon McCarthy-After looking at his medicals. He's pitched very well this year, but he has been on the DL with a sore shoulder. He went on the DL, came off it, pitched 7 shutout innings and went back on it. Incentive type contract. 1 year 5 million 5 million for 200 IP, 3 for 175...etc..etc...etc...

3-Dice-K

Just to take a flier. Obviously on a cheap deal. 1 year 3 million. I've always liked him. We've had some recent success with Japanese pitchers.

There are obviously others, but you have to look at two things to me. Top end starters who you can get cheaper because of circumstance such as the three I listed(and the circumstance I suggested may not even be close to the reality of the situation) and the following three who are either underachievers or who are pitchers trying to make a comeback.

The later is usually reserved for the like of the Yankees and the Red Sox.

Ben Sheets is also a guy I'd be interested in...though I dno't think that interest would be returned.

One guy who's not a FA, but available that I'd LOVE to get is Josh Beckett. I believe he could return to his dominant ways, and on a two year deal, I think he'd be more than worth it.

All of this of course is under the premise that we do NOT get Greinke back. I would like to throw out another veteran with Gallardo to go with Estrada and then likely Fiers who HAS to have earned a spot and as it stands now Rogers, but beyond him TT, Peralta, Nelson, Burgos.

One pitcher I wouldn't touch with Bill Gates bank account is Kyle Lohse. Let the Cards overpay to bring him back....

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I'd like to hear more about why, exactly, people think we should or should not target a veteran SP in the offseason. What factors should influence that decision, how much, and why?

Let's say we'll need six guys on the roster that we can rely on as SPs (because one will invariably get hurt at some point), plus at least one plausible emergency option beyond that in AA/AAA.

Other things equal (no surprise injuries, meltdowns, or unexpected trades), pretty much everybody sees Gallardo and Fiers as locks. I would say most of us see Estrada as a lock for the back of the rotation. That's three spots set. (IMHO, as I was just saying above, Narveson doesn't belong in the discussion.)

Then you come to Rogers, Peralta, and Thornburg. I think everybody figures one of them will make the rotation, many are willing to bet on two of them, and a few would be willing to put all three in the top six spots of the depth chart. In that scenario, one of those guys would start the season at AAA or in the Milwaukee pen; Estrada could do that as well, start out as a swingman in the pen. Burgos in this scenario could be the seventh man.

If you're willing to count on all of those guys, then you don't need to get a veteran SP. (You'd want some kind of deep backup injury insurance even beyond your top seven, but that could be a Claudio Vargas AAAA type.) Let's add that, if Marcum shows he's healthy, he's the veteran SP, pushing another of the rookies (or maybe Estrada, depending on how you've got guys ranked) into the pen. The depth chart looks something like this:

Gallardo

(Marcum)

Fiers

Rogers / Estrada

Estrada /Rogers

Peralta / Thornburg

Thornburg / Peralta

Burgos

Theoretically, there are two categories of veteran starters we could sign: (1) guys whom we can confidently project to be better than Rogers looks right now; (2) guys with a track record but whom we can't confidently project to be better than Rogers looks right now. Category (1) guys will presumably cost real money on a three or four-year contract -- Edwin Jackson, say.

Why would we sign a category (1) guy? Maybe we think we can contend next year with our current lineup and a few tweaks. Or maybe we think the rest of the team will be ready to contend by 2014 but we don't have confidence in our SP prospects to fill out a strong rotation by then, and we want to get a guy in place early. Neither of those seems to me like a compelling argument, but maybe I'm missing something.

The more pressing question for 2013, to me, seems to be whether we sign a category (2) guy. Reasons we might do that:

-- We're worried about getting the necessary number of innings out of the young guys without putting too much strain on their arms.

-- We're not confident enough about the young guys' ability to believe that enough of them will put up the necessary quality of performance to fill out their roles.

-- We want an experienced guy who knows how to pitch to stabilize the rotation and help acclimate the young guys.

-- We don't think a rotation full of young guys will have, in the aggregate, the necessary mental toughness / intangibles.

For me, those reasons are listed in descending order of force. The first two seem like good reasons if their factual premises are right, but I don't know if they're right. The other two reasons seem to me more like baseball cliches that don't really hold water, but I know other people disagree. I'd just like to know how various posters are thinking about this issue.

My view right now is that, if Marcum looks like he'll be ready by opening day, I'm not inclined to sign a vet starter. If he's not going to be ready, I'm on the fence, and a lot will depend how the young guys, from Rogers on down, pitch the rest of the way, in the majors and AAA. In that non-Marcum scenario, what Rogers does the rest of the way is the biggest factor.

Well, I think you hit on a BIG point when you mention a lot will depend on how guys pitch down the stretch. I'd love to see someone claim Wolf, but he just hasn't pitched well enough to be claimed. Perhaps a injury to a contender will open that door up and allow Peralta to get a string of starts with Fiers, Rogers, and Estrada.

But mainly, I'd simply like to see a proven, solid 2/3 type starter who's a dependable 200 Inning, 33 start a year type guy simply to take pressure off the young guys.

Then you get into a position where you start to really build up a very good AA and AAA rotation with Jungman/Bradley/Hall in AA, the two Angels, and then Nelson, Thornburg, and Burgos in AAA.

If the big league staff is going well, I'd like to see some of those guys thrown into the pen next July/August to get their feet wet and then let their production sort 'em out the following year.

But I'd like to see that base. Obviously Greinke/Gallardo would be the great Pyramid of Giza type base for us with all our youngesters, and I'm not ready to give up on that, but Jackson and Gallardo, Haren and Gallardo...whomever just so those guys can kinda ease into it. Fiers as the 3, Rogers #4, Estrada, #5 or whoever. Like you said, the last couple months will give us a much better idea. But even that, it's just an idea. At least you're not going into 2013 blind with Mike Fiers, but you're also not really sure what you're getting. Will he continue to be a 2.90-3.30 type pitcher? I HONESTLY believe he CAN. But more realistically, 3.90-4.30 is more likely his ceiling.

Anyway, I think the only way the Brewers contend for a WS in the next 3-4 years(the Gallardo years) is if we get a proven pitcher who we either just spend a ton for(Greinke/Haren/Beckett) two of whom are even more unlikely than Greinke, or if we develop 5 2's and 3's. Meaning we get 4 guys who can develop like Gallardo did and do so soon. Which is possible if you look at each individual pitchers potential, but the chances of hitting on just 2 is about 20 pct, hitting on 4 is about 1 in 50. But hey, there are teams that manage to do it.

And maybe all that history, all the JM Gold, Nick Neugebauer, Ben Sheets(more the time of his injury, not his overall success), the Juan Nieves, the Teddy Higura(again, timing), Mike Jones, and so on and on...and on....simply means we're due for a great string of success.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I'd look to bring a veteran-starter-looking-to-regain-his-value on for a one-year deal. Marcum is the perfect candidate for this, but I'm sure there are others. This vet can fit into the 2/3 spot in the rotation alongside Gallardo, Fiers, Estrada and probably Rogers or Peralta. I'd let our prospects, such as Thornburg, be the "depth," as we'll have a lot of near-MLB-ready starting pitchers next season.

The starter on a one-year deal will help solidify the rotation next year, will allow guys like Thornburg to get more seasoning in the minors, and can be flipped at the deadline if they're healthy and we're not in contention. I don't like going more than one-year because we have a lot of starting pitching on the horizon. If at this time next year, some of them fall apart, then we can always sign someone else long-term next offseason. If they continue to progress, I don't want a big money deal on the books for a starting pitcher who is blocking a good, young pitcher who could contribute for league minimum.

Barring a total collapse to finish out this season, I wouldn't be upset if we went into next year with a rotation of Gallardo, Fiers, Rogers, Peralta, Estrada. However, I don't think they'll do that, as they'll want to put on some show to the fans that they're trying to compete next year. Signing someone like Marcum to a one-year deal is a pretty low-risk way of doing that.

One question: Is it do or die time for Rogers? If he's not on the MLB roster, I think we may risk losing him, so it that's the case, I'd think he'll get the nod over Peralta if we go Gallardo, Marcum, Fiers, Estrada, Rogers/Peralta.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If healthy, it's almost a lock Rogers will be on the 25 man. Even if he's in the bullpen. Evan though I would love to see a rotation of Yo, Fiers, Estrada, Rogers, Thornburg, Peralta, Burgos,etc. I agree Melvin won't do that. And I won't feel that bad if he give a vet a one year contract as insurance. But I am 100% against giving anybody a multi-year deal, even if it is a"good deal" for the Brewers.

Clear out the salary, let the youngsters play, and then we'll see what is needed for 2014. And who knows, they may stumble into success next year despite it being a "rebuilding" year.

If healthy, it's almost a lock Rogers will be on the 25 man. Even if he's in the bullpen. Evan though I would love to see a rotation of Yo, Fiers, Estrada, Rogers, Thornburg, Peralta, Burgos,etc. I agree Melvin won't do that. And I won't feel that bad if he give a vet a one year contract as insurance. But I am 100% against giving anybody a multi-year deal, even if it is a"good deal" for the Brewers.

Clear out the salary, let the youngsters play, and then we'll see what is needed for 2014. And who knows, they may stumble into success next year despite it being a "rebuilding" year.

I really liked this post... Let the young-ens play and see what holes you might need to fill 2014, if any.

Potentially Hart/Aoki would stand in the way so we wouldn't get a read on 1B or OF (where we have the most positional depth) but we'd get a pretty good look at the pitching.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm starting to see some similarities to the 2010 offseason. I could see Melvin looking for top-of-the rotation vets with 2-3 years of "control" remaining, so he can do a "Greinke-style" trade.

Does anyone know where to find a list of guys who will be free agents after the 2014 season?

~Bill Walsh

I'm starting to see some similarities to the 2010 offseason. I could see Melvin looking for top-of-the rotation vets with 2-3 years of "control" remaining, so he can do a "Greinke-style" trade.

Does anyone know where to find a list of guys who will be free agents after the 2014 season?

here you go

Starting pitchers

Bronson Arroyo (37)

Nick Blackburn (32) - $8MM club option

Dallas Braden (30)

A.J. Burnett (37)

Chris Capuano (35) - $8MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout

Chris Carpenter (39)

Bruce Chen (37)

Nelson Figueroa (40)

Matt Garza (30)

Roy Halladay (37) - $20MM vesting option

Jason Hammel (31)

Aaron Harang (36) - $7MM+ mutual option with a $2MM buyout

Phil Hughes (28)

Ubaldo Jimenez (30) - may void $5.75MM option for 2014

Josh Johnson (30)

Jair Jurrjens (28)

Jeff Karstens (31)

John Lannan (29)

Jon Lester (30) - $13MM club option with a $250K buyout

Ted Lilly (38)

Tim Lincecum (30)

Dustin Moseley (32)

Ricky Nolasco (31)

Mike Pelfrey (30)

Wandy Rodriguez (35) - $13MM club option with a $2.5MM buyout

Johan Santana (34) - $25MM club option with a $5.5MM buyout

Kevin Slowey (30)

Tim Stauffer (32)

Jason Vargas (31)

Edinson Volquez (30)

Tsuyoshi Wada (33) - $5MM club option

Barry Zito (36) - $18MM vesting option with a $7MM buyout

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

here you go

Starting pitchers

Bronson Arroyo (37)

Nick Blackburn (32) - $8MM club option

Dallas Braden (30)

A.J. Burnett (37)

Chris Capuano (35) - $8MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout

Chris Carpenter (39)

Bruce Chen (37)

Nelson Figueroa (40)

Matt Garza (30)

Roy Halladay (37) - $20MM vesting option

Jason Hammel (31)

Aaron Harang (36) - $7MM+ mutual option with a $2MM buyout

Phil Hughes (28)

Ubaldo Jimenez (30) - may void $5.75MM option for 2014

Josh Johnson (30)

Jair Jurrjens (28)

Jeff Karstens (31)

John Lannan (29)

Jon Lester (30) - $13MM club option with a $250K buyout

Ted Lilly (38)

Tim Lincecum (30)

Dustin Moseley (32)

Ricky Nolasco (31)

Mike Pelfrey (30)

Wandy Rodriguez (35) - $13MM club option with a $2.5MM buyout

Johan Santana (34) - $25MM club option with a $5.5MM buyout

Kevin Slowey (30)

Tim Stauffer (32)

Jason Vargas (31)

Edinson Volquez (30)

Tsuyoshi Wada (33) - $5MM club option

Barry Zito (36) - $18MM vesting option with a $7MM buyout

These are the free agents after 2013, not after 2014.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Thanks for the effort Torts, but all I could find was lists for FAs after the 2013 season as well.

In clicking through some teams on Cot's, I did find the ultimate "Zack Greinke-style" trade scenario. Felix Hernandez plays for a non-contender and is owed $20.7MM in 2013 and $21.2MM in 2014. If Melvin really thinks (as some here do) that the 2013 Brewers are one ace pitcher away from playoff contention, and wanted to win during the "Hart/Ramirez window," I'd think Hernandez would be his ultimate target.

Of course, trading for him would once again gut our farm, but for those who like "all in, all the time," there you go.

~Bill Walsh

If we could get Edwin Jackson for 3/30 and Hiroki Kuroda for 2/24, I would be ecstatic with those additions.

1) Gallardo

2) Kuroda

3) Jackson

4) Fiers

5) Thornburg

Personally, I'd rather have Kuroda + Jackson at $23M than Greinke at $23M.

Depending on how high the payroll goes next year, that would still leave us with $20M or so in wiggle room and to fix the bullpen. That's another thing that the Greinke trade does for us -- if we wouldn't have done it, we would still need to go find a SS free agent next year, now we don't.

We still need to invest in a better utility infielder though than Izturis, and should plan on investing at least $3M for that this time.

Honestly, I don't want to sign any FA SP's for next year.

I want to see what Gallardo/Fiers/Estrada/Thornburg/Peralta/Rogers/Narveson can do. Best 5 of the 7 make the opening day rotation out of spring with one of the other 2 being the long reliever and the other guy going back down to Nashville.

After seeing what those guys do next year, then pay for a quality SP for the 2014 season. Maybe a couple of them if need be. I think paying for a SP next year would be a waste.

Archived