Brewer Fanatic

2013 FA arms

I'm changing my tune and thinking they need to just sign Dempster already. Three years is fine. There aren't any other substantial upgrades out there, and right now the rotation is Gallardo and a bunch of back-of-the-rotation types (with some upside).

RHP Gallardo

LHP Dempster

RHP Estrada

RHP Peralta

RHP Fiers

(LHP Narveson)

That is a passable rotation given the Brewers offense.

I know people are spooked by the memories of Suppan/Wolf, but Dempster is a significantly better pitcher, and if you look at his peripherals they have been remarkably consistent for quite a while.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm changing my tune and thinking they need to just sign Dempster already. Three years is fine. There aren't any other substantial upgrades out there, and right now the rotation is Gallardo and a bunch of back-of-the-rotation types (with some upside).

RHP Gallardo

LHP Dempster

RHP Estrada

RHP Peralta

RHP Fiers

(LHP Narveson)

That is a passable rotation given the Brewers offense.

I know people are spooked by the memories of Suppan/Wolf, but Dempster is a significantly better pitcher, and if you look at his peripherals they have been remarkably consistent for quite a while.

Dempster is right handed.

@WiscoSportsNut

Of arms out there. Jeff Karstens & John Lannan were non-tendered end of Nov.

Lannan lefty and has had seasons with 31/33 starts. Numbers aren't eye popping but should 2yrs Dempster not happen a 1yr deal?

Karstens. Another pitcher I think if could ever go 30starts would put together a better than expected run. Only he's never pitched more than 180in. Again a 1yr deal? See what you can get out of him. Just someone to eat some starts, reduce on the young staffers arms.

Sorry don't want Dempster for 3 years.

But do you want Marco Estrada to be our #2 starter?

Estrada's peripherals in 2012 were every bit the caliber of a #2 starter: 9.3 Ks/9 innings, a 1.142 WHIP, a 4.93 K/BB ratio. His 2011 numbers weren't far off those.

If you believe Estrada is what he showed in 2012, then I'm comfortable with him as the number 2 starter.

Estrada's peripherals in 2012 were every bit the caliber of a #2 starter: 9.3 Ks/9 innings, a 1.142 WHIP, a 4.93 K/BB ratio. His 2011 numbers weren't far off those.

If you believe Estrada is what he showed in 2012, then I'm comfortable with him as the number 2 starter.

I'm not saying he can't sustain his current performance level, but he's made 35 starts in MLB. This isn't a sample we should be basing anything off of. Especially since most analysts agree that his stuff is sub-par.

I wish him all the success in the world, but Estrada sustaining #2 stuff throughout a full season with the low-innings that has been put on his arm isn't probable to me.

I am in no way saying we should ante-up for Dempster though.

I don't get it... Why aren't we going after Marcum to be that veteran starter behind Yo? Is Shaun seriously hurt or something?

I have felt this way all along. If the idea truly is to get a veteran, innings eater then Marcum at 2 years $16-$20 million is a much more comfortable situation for me than Dempster at 3 years $36+ million. Sure he has his injury history, but whoever we sign is likely a space holder for 2013 and possible trade bait after 2013 given the development of our young pitching.

Count me in on re-signing Marucm if we TRULY have to bring in a veteran to be in this year's rotation.

I don't get it... Why aren't we going after Marcum to be that veteran starter behind Yo? Is Shaun seriously hurt or something?

I have felt this way all along. If the idea truly is to get a veteran, innings eater then Marcum at 2 years $16-$20 million is a much more comfortable situation for me than Dempster at 3 years $36+ million. Sure he has his injury history, but whoever we sign is likely a space holder for 2013 and possible trade bait after 2013 given the development of our young pitching.

Count me in on re-signing Marucm if we TRULY have to bring in a veteran to be in this year's rotation.

I would take either Marcum or Edwin Jackson as the #2 behind Yo.

here is the updated list of FA SP

Starting pitchers

Erik Bedard (34)

Dallas Braden (29)

Aaron Cook (34)

Ryan Dempster (36)

Freddy Garcia (37)

Rich Harden (31)

Roberto Hernandez (32)

Edwin Jackson (29)

Jair Jurrjens (27)

Jeff Karstens (30)

John Lannan (28)

Francisco Liriano (29)

Kyle Lohse (34) - declined qualifying offer

Derek Lowe (40)

Shaun Marcum (31)

Daisuke Matsuzaka (32)

Kevin Millwood (38)

Dustin Moseley (31)

Jamie Moyer (50)

Brett Myers (32)

Roy Oswalt (35)

Carl Pavano (37)

Mike Pelfrey (29)

Anibal Sanchez (29)

Jonathan Sanchez (30)

Joe Saunders (32)

Tim Stauffer (31)

Carlos Villanueva (29)

Chien-Ming Wang (33)

Kip Wells (36)

Randy Wolf (36)

Chris Young (34)

Carlos Zambrano (32)

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Melvin is likely taking a gamble that the longer he waits the less leverage a free agent has and the shorter the deal he can sign someone to. I think he likes the young guys to start, and wants one veteran on a reasonable contract for insurance if one of the young guys gets hurt.

This is kind of like my fantasy football strategy; I was in a salary cap league ($100) and you could buy any player you want until you reached the salary cap. Early in the draft I would bid up players I didn't want so other more desperate people reached their cap limit, and then I got the second-tier players for cheap and had depth. One year that I won I got Frank Gore late in the draft for $1, when the top RBs went early for >$30.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think Marcum on a short term deal would be great. One year and an option would be perfect.

However, the fact that the Crew have basically written off Marcum (at least it seems that way) makes me wonder if they have some serious health concerns about him. He would seem a much safer choice than Dempster, yet neither Marcum or the Brewers have indicated they want a reunion.

I'm totally speculating on Marcum's health. It just seems silly not to consider the guy if they feel he's healthy.

I think Marcum on a short term deal would be great. One year and an option would be perfect.

However, the fact that the Crew have basically written off Marcum (at least it seems that way) makes me wonder if they have some serious health concerns about him. He would seem a much safer choice than Dempster, yet neither Marcum or the Brewers have indicated they want a reunion.

I'm totally speculating on Marcum's health. It just seems silly not to consider the guy if they feel he's healthy.

I agree there has to be something about Shaun's health we don't know about.

especially considering he's 20-11 with a 3.60 ERA, 267 K, 98 BB, 1.198 WHIP, 7.4 K/9, 2.7 BB/9 over 54 starts.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Updated spreadsheet of free agent pitchers:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiT-S4-H5q9zdDl4bWdFSmJ5bTBha3Joc043eUZubHc

Top 5 remaining free agent SP (plus those coming off major injuries) in order of:

ERA (2010-12)

Tim Stauffer*

Chris Young*

Dallas Braden*

Roy Oswalt

Shaun Marcum

Anibal Sanchez

Kyle Lohse

Jeff Karstens

FIP (2010-12)

Anibal Sanchez

Roy Oswalt

Francisco Liriano

Kyle Lohse

Tim Stauffer*

Edwin Jackson

xFIP (2010-12)

Roy Oswalt

Anibal Sanchez

Tim Stauffer*

Edwin Jackson

Ryan Dempster

Francisco Liriano

Unless we plan on signing Lohse (Please God no) it certainly appears that it is the trade market or nothing for the Brewers this offseason. Melvin is saying basically everyone is priced out of our budget right now despite the fact that even conservative estimates have the Brewers with about $15 Million to spend.

Not that going the trade route is a bad thing but the complete lack of activity up to this point has been pretty frustrating especially when the bullpen issues are still staring us in the face. And I don't want Estrada as our #2; that just has disaster written all over it. We need someone, anyone, that is a legitimate 2/3 starter in this league. Only way to do it now is by trade.

Archived