Brewer Fanatic

2013 FA arms

okay, so we all know how bad the brewers bullpen was this year, and with the holes uin the rotation with Greinke (boo), Marcum (boo) and Wolf (yay!) all gone or more than likely gone... heres a list of all of the FA arms this winter. as I posted in another thread, there is no way Melvin stands pat with a rotation of Gallardo, Estrada/Fiers and AAA/Narveson. There seems to be a lot of arms on the market this year compared to the last two, so acting as the armchair Doug Melvin, who would you like to see the brewers go out and get for the rotation and bullpen?

Starting pitchers

Scott Baker (31) - $9.25MM club option

Erik Bedard (34)

Joe Blanton (32)

Fausto Carmona (29) - $9MM club option

Bartolo Colon (40)

Aaron Cook (34)

Kevin Correia (32)

Doug Davis (37)

Jorge De La Rosa (32) - $11MM player option with a $1MM buyout

Ryan Dempster (36)

R.A. Dickey (38) - $5MM club option with a $300K buyout

Zach Duke (30)

Scott Feldman (29) - $9.25MM club option with a $600K buyout

Jeff Francis (32)

Gavin Floyd (30) - $9.5MM club option

Freddy Garcia (37)

Zack Greinke (28)

Jeremy Guthrie (34)

Rich Harden (31)

Dan Haren (32) - $15.5MM club option with a $3.5MM buyout

Livan Hernandez (38)

Tim Hudson (37) - $9MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Edwin Jackson (29)

Hiroki Kuroda (38)

Colby Lewis (33)

Francisco Liriano (29)

Kyle Lohse (34)

Rodrigo Lopez (37)

Derek Lowe (40)

Paul Maholm (31) - $6.5MM club option with a $500K buyout

Shaun Marcum (31)

Jason Marquis (34)

Daisuke Matsuzaka (32)

Brandon McCarthy (29)

Kevin Millwood (38)

Jamie Moyer (50)

Brett Myers (32) - $10MM vesting option with a $3MM buyout

Ramon Ortiz (40)

Roy Oswalt (35)

Carl Pavano (37)

Jake Peavy (31) - $22MM club option with a $4MM buyout

Brad Penny (35)

Joel Pineiro (34)

Anibal Sanchez (29)

Jonathan Sanchez (30)

Ervin Santana (30) - $13MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Joe Saunders (32)

James Shields (31) - $9MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout

Chien-Ming Wang (33)

Kip Wells (36)

Jake Westbrook (35) - $8.5MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout if club declines

Randy Wolf (36) - $10MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout

Chris Young (34)

Carlos Zambrano (32)

Closers

Jonathan Broxton (29)

Matt Capps (29) - $6MM club option with a $250K buyout

Francisco Cordero (38)

Kyle Farnsworth (37)

Brandon League (30)

Ryan Madson (32) - $11MM mutual option with a $2.5MM buyout

Juan Carlos Oviedo (29)

J.J. Putz (36) - $6.5MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout

Mariano Rivera (43)

Francisco Rodriguez (31)

Joakim Soria (29) - $8MM club option with a $750K buyout

Jose Valverde (35)

Right-handed relievers

David Aardsma (31) - $500K club option

Jeremy Accardo (31)

Mike Adams (34)

Luis Ayala (35)

Grant Balfour (35) - $4.5MM club option with a $350K buyout

Miguel Batista (42)

Dave Bush (33)

Shawn Camp (37)

Todd Coffey (32) - club option

Jose Contreras (41) - $2.5MM club option with a $500K buyout

Juan Cruz (34)

Octavio Dotel (39)

Chad Durbin (35)

Nelson Figueroa (39)

Jason Frasor (35)

Kevin Gregg (35) - $6MM club/vesting option

LaTroy Hawkins (38)

Aaron Heilman (34)

Clay Hensley (33)

Ryota Igarashi (34)

Bobby Jenks (32)

Brad Lidge (36)

Matt Lindstrom (33) - $4MM club option with a $200K buyout

Mark Lowe (30)

Brandon Lyon (33)

Mike MacDougal (36) - club option

Dustin McGowan (28)

Guillermo Mota (39)

Peter Moylan (34)

Micah Owings (30)

Vicente Padilla (35)

Joel Peralta (37)

Chad Qualls (34)

Ramon Ramirez (31)

Jon Rauch (34)

Chris Ray (31)

Fernando Rodney (36)

Takashi Saito (43)

Rafael Soriano (33) - $14MM player option or a $1.5MM buyout

Yoshinori Tateyama (37)

Robinson Tejeda (31)

Carlos Villanueva (29)

Dan Wheeler (35)

Kerry Wood (36) - $3MM option

Jamey Wright (38)

Michael Wuertz (34)

Left-handed relievers

Jeremy Affeldt (34)

Sean Burnett (30) - $3.5MM mutual option with a $250K buyout

Tim Byrdak (39)

Randy Choate (37)

Pedro Feliciano (35) - $4.5MM club option

Brian Fuentes (37) - $6.5MM club option with a $500K buyout

Mike Gonzalez (35)

J.P. Howell (28)

Hong-Chih Kuo (31)

Will Ohman (35)

Darren Oliver (42) - $3MM club option with a $500K buyout

J.C. Romero (37)

Hisanori Takahashi (38)

Dontrelle Willis (31)

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
Edwin Jackson has been solid the last two years (1.155 WHIP this season), but it could take somewhere in the neighborhood 3/$30+ mil to sign him. I doubt he will settle for another one year deal this off season, and the Brewers may be looking more for one year gap fillers.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I look for the Brewers to shop for a $4-5 million guy to fill or compete with Narveson for the 5th spot. The perfect guy is Carlos Villanueva. He's 4-0 as a starter this year. He can also pitch out of the pen. That flexibility makes him attractive with so many young guys knocking on the door.

I see them going with Gallardo, Fiers, and 2 of Estrada, Rogers, Thornburg or Peralta. If Estrada's not one of the 2, he'll go to the pen. For the 5th spot it will either be Narveson or a FA. Two other guys Melvin's had interest in the past are Correia and Jeff Francis. He might take a flyer on a guy coming off an injury on an incentive laden deal (that includes Marcum at this point). One longshot who could be little pricier is Brandon McCarthy.

A lot will depend on what we see for the rest of this season. Gallardo's a lock, and Fiers and Estrada have probably pitched themselves into rotation spots. If Rogers gets an extended stay and looks ready, he could lock in a spot, and Peralta and Thornburg should be ready by next year as well. As Eye Black at Night mentioned, I could see the Brewers bringing in a vet on a one-year deal, but unless they are somehow able to sign 28-year-old ace Greinke, I doubt they'll offer a multi-year deal to a starting pitcher. I think there's a good chance that if Marcum is healthy, he'll sign a one-year deal with the Brewers to build his value back up. I'd be fine with doing a one-year deal, as we could always flip him at the deadline and insert one of our prospects who looks ready. We've finally got some promising arms getting near-MLB-ready, so I hope we don't sign a 3-4 year deal to a 30-something and end up blocking our young guys.

The bullpen's a different story. It's getting easier and easier to envision the Brewers non-tendering Loe, Veras and Parra, which would mean we'd need to do an almost complete rebuild. I like the Kottaras trade, and could see someone like Morgan getting traded for a bullpen arm. Even with that, we will most likely sign a veteran arm or two in free agency.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Mike Adams has slipped a bit this year, but he's a name on that list who might be a decent bullpen fit. I wouldn't go overboard signing bullpen guys but I'd lean to guys with a consistent record and leave some flexibility to trade for guys midseason.

I like your thinking JB. The bullpen needs to be overhauled, I'd keep Ax and Parra, then let the past be prologue! See if we can bring back Hawkins and Saito, their contribution to last years success was greatly understated. Check out Takahashi, Adams, Howell, and Villanueva would be an excellent addition. A rotation of Yo, Fiers, Estrada, Rogers(?), plus an unknown.

I really do not want Thornburg rushed, he needs some time in Nashville. Maybe Peralta, Francis or Correia would fit nicely, but if you really want to buy on the the low and maybe strike gold. He's in a contract year, is not doing too well. Carlos Zambrano. I can already hear heads exploding! :laughing When he's on, he's good and things are never boring when he's on the mound. Not advocating it, but looking at that list, one could do a LOT worse.

I'd spend the big bucks on the bullpen and then sign an innings eater type to a one year deal. If Marcum is out for most of the rest of the year maybe bring him back on a one year deal for $6-$7 million. But I think Gallado and Fiers are locks and Estrada is close. That leaves two spots for 4 people: Thornburg, Peralta, Rogers, and Narveson.

Bullpen wise I'd like to see at least two high profile signings. I like Mike Adams. Maybe Jonathan Broxton. And then also a lefty.

Verified Member

Wow, there are a lot of arms on the market, and yet Greinke and perhaps Peavy are really the only impact guys. Everybody else seems to have the distinct possibility of being absolutely horrible. We have 5-7 young arms on the farm that can be horrible for us for a lot cheaper--plus there is the possibility that we find another Fiers or two in that group and then we'll really have something special.

Thus, I'm kind of moving toward the sign Greinke camp. Greinke, Gallardo, Braun, Lucroy and Segura seems like a good 5 to lead us into the 2020s. Trade Ramirez, Hart, and Weeks for the best prospects you can get--similar to how Toronto traded Marcum straight up for Brett Lawrie.

Wow, there are a lot of arms on the market, and yet Greinke and perhaps Peavy are really the only impact guys. Everybody else seems to have the distinct possibility of being absolutely horrible. We have 5-7 young arms on the farm that can be horrible for us for a lot cheaper--plus there is the possibility that we find another Fiers or two in that group and then we'll really have something special.

Thus, I'm kind of moving toward the sign Greinke camp. Greinke, Gallardo, Braun, Lucroy and Segura seems like a good 5 to lead us into the 2020s. Trade Ramirez, Hart, and Weeks for the best prospects you can get--similar to how Toronto traded Marcum straight up for Brett Lawrie.

That was why it was so crucial to extend Greinke. Now that he's gone, he's not coming back. The Brewers are never going to sign the number one rated free agent. There's really nothing out there to improve the team in free agency outside of some arms for the bullpen. I believe that Peavy has a huge option, but if he keeps dealing I'm sure the White Sox will pick it up. Combine that with the fact that they don't really have the ammo to swing any deals for veterans, and the short term prognosis looks pretty bleak.

I look for the Brewers to shop for a $4-5 million guy to fill or compete with Narveson for the 5th spot.

Here we go again...

:indifferent

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

That leaves two spots for 4 people: Thornburg, Peralta, Rogers, and Narveson.

...and yet again.

Narveson will not be competing for a starting rotation spot next year folks...

Long relief will be the only way he helps us, and even that possibility is remote given his age and the severity of his injuries/surgery.

if you're talking about Villenueva coming back, mnight as well talk to Bush and doug Davis, too, and just go back to 2006

:indifferent :indifferent :indifferent

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

That was why it was so crucial to extend Greinke. Now that he's gone, he's not coming back. The Brewers are never going to sign the number one rated free agent. There's really nothing out there to improve the team in free agency outside of some arms for the bullpen. I believe that Peavy has a huge option, but if he keeps dealing I'm sure the White Sox will pick it up. Combine that with the fact that they don't really have the ammo to swing any deals for veterans, and the short term prognosis looks pretty bleak.

We've had some decent success with the few players from the minors who we've brought up to help the Brewers. Hopefully the success of guys like Fiers, Lucroy and Maldonado will be enough evidence to show that we don't always need to block guys with expensive vets. I'm fine with signing a vet to a one-year deal if Peralta/Thornburg aren't MLB ready to start next year, as we can always flip him at the deadline when Peralta/Thornburg/whoever is ready. We need some bullpen guys just because we don't have enough arms in the minors to fill out the bullpen if we let Loe/Veras/Parra walk.

If we use 2013 to let Fiers, Estrada, Peralta, Thornburg, Rogers, Schafer, Gamel, Segura, Maldonado, Green, Davis, etc get some playing time for league minimum, we should know going into 2014 what holes we have to fill and we should have money to fill them. Some of these guys should be good, and we can give them "Lucroy-type" extensions. Some will be average, and there's a big need for average players playing for league minimum. Some won't cut it and will be replaced. 2013 is a good testing ground, and we could be competitive again as soon as 2014. Our minor league pitching isn't the wasteland it was five or so years ago, so our future isn't dependant on signing a $20MM guy to headline the rotation. The good thing is that if we have a bunch of guys playing for league minimum, we could afford the $20MM guy if we decide in a year or two that we need him.

Signing Greinke wasn't imperative for future success, and it could prove that his turning down the offer was very good for the franchise.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Verified Member

I think they really need to make a push for either Edwin Jackson or Anibal Sanchez.

Maybe Grant Balfour for the CL/SU role (depending on how Axford can recover). Otherwise I'd prefer not to spend on relief.

...and yet again.

Long relief will be the only way he helps us, and even that possibility is remote given his age and the severity of his injuries/surgery.

Stop stating things as facts if they are not. Even if there is a 99% probability that Narveson isn't back, that still isn't a fact that he will miss all year, at least until stated otherwise. Sure he probably won't be competing for a spot in ST but he got hurt early enough this year that there is a possibility he's back early enough.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

...and yet again.

Stop stating things as facts if they are not. Even if there is a 99% probability that Narveson isn't back, that still isn't a fact that he will miss all year, at least until stated otherwise. Sure he probably won't be competing for a spot in ST but he got hurt early enough this year that there is a possibility he's back early enough.

It just gets tiring seeing his name come up in all the 2013 possible rotation posts. If you'd like to police all posts on these boards and eliminate all the ones that are not fact, but just a bunch of people acting like what they say is fact and stating opinions, you are going to be a very busy man.

Good luck with that.

It is my opinion that Narveson will not be competing for a job in our starting rotation next year, at any point during the season. I'm sorry I didn't preface my posts with the "my opinion" statement. I assumed that opinions were implied in most threads since most of us do not work for the organization.

Other than Greinke the two names that you are going to see linked to the Brewers this off season will be Francisco Liriano and Edwin Jackson. Liriano is going to be more of a gamble and I can see Melvin trying to gamble with Liriano and Jackson is going to be more of a safe bet which I also see Melvin looking at. I think this off season the Brewers have Jackson as their 1b and Liriano as their 1c with Greinke obviously being the 1a choice.

Lohse and Dempster are also available and they will also be linked to the Brewers but I really do not want anything to do with Lohse or Dempster. Lohse more so than Dempster as I see Lohse more along the lines of a Looper type of a signing. Dempster probably fits into the mold of a Wolf signing where he will be good for a couple of years and then the last two with the option year you will see a rather high decline in his performance where he is just not worth the contract at all anymore.

I could see Jackson getting a 4 year deal worth about $50-60m with an option year for a 5th year with a buyout. Liriano will probably get a 1 or 2 year contract at about $12-15m a year.

Community Moderator
Who is Fausto Carmona?

I kind of want to change my username to "Where in the World is Fausto Carmona?"

Looks like the list hasn't been updated recently since it is also omitting Ben Sheets. :)

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If you'd like to police all posts on these boards and eliminate all the ones that are not fact, but just a bunch of people acting like what they say is fact and stating opinions, you are going to be a very busy man.

Good luck with that.

Actually, some of the moderators have recently made posts to this effect. It's usually easy to see when someone obviously has an opinion on something. But the way you post, you post as if it is a fact.

Not only is it misleading but it can also be seen as antagonistic since you're shooting down other people's opinions (i.e. Narveson has a shot to compete next year) with your opinion, which is stated as a fact.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived